Favourite Hearts left backs and moments

Skippy Doodle

11 hours ago, EasternRossco said:

Takis best player I've seen in maroon. Was devastated when Grainger moved on though. One of those players I always really liked without actually knowing why. 

Perhaps for a certain penalty in 2012? 

:pleasing: 

Best I have seen during my years going to Tynecastle is Takis Fyssas but my favourite has to be Tosh.

Had a wee soft spot for shooter as well mind...but he's a grass now though.

We_are_the_Hearts

Dissa giving the Hearts fans the No 1 sign after we lost 4-3 to Rangers in the League Cup Final at Parkhead. Still the best atmosphere at any final I've been at since 86. Hearts fans were amazing that day

Favourite left back I’ve see play at hearts? Well despite being a left back I don’t think he actually ever played there for us, Rudi!!

6 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

We were in a club in Glasgow before 19/05/2012 and Tosh gave a few words. My top LB and a great guy despite being affiliated with ''them''.

?

Always thought, if anything, Tosh gave that little bit more v. Celtic. 

Edited by martoon

rudi must stay
15 hours ago, Skippy Doodle said:
Check out the youtube channel Amoruso Lets It Run for a new video dedicated to Hearts left backs from the past 30 years

Who was your favourite left back and why?

Has to be Gary Naysmith, and he is to be honest my favourite ever Hearts player. Loved watching him bomb down the left side, even in some shocking Hearts teams. That guy was a class above 

Bridge of Djoum

I must give a shout to Brian Whittaker, the Hearts LB in 1984, my 1st year going to Tynecastle. Very decent player and man.

If I recall correctly, he was an agent and was heavily involved in bringing Tam Flogel to Hearts. 

RIP, Brian.

Edited by Bridge of Djoum

ScottieMac17

Takis was in my opinion the best. 

I did like Grainger too, nothing special but scored a few goals ?

EasternRossco
5 hours ago, Highlander said:

Perhaps for a certain penalty in 2012? 

:pleasing: 

Haha definitely a factor ?

That aside though I liked him for his industry and despite being technically limited I can't remember him having too many bad games for us. 

Pasquale for King

Tosh McKinlay is my favourite, no weakness in his game and hugely underrated. He hit a free kick against Dundee Utd at Tynie from 30 yards and it smacked off the bar, never hit another one ?.

I remember Gary Naismith going into see Chris Robinson ready and happy to sign a new 2 year contract only to be told he was going to be sold to Everton for £2 million and Hearts needed the money from the deal. Anti Nemi was among other's who were happy and Robinson did the deal before the players new anything. 

21 hours ago, Ally Bee said:

Brian Whitaker for wearing the policeman’s hat, at Tannadice I think.

One of my favourite “cult” players. I remember him picking up a coin that had been thrown at him somewhere too.

Tosh is probs my all time favourite lb though

I remember a match when a fan threw the ball back onto the pitch and Mahe misjudged the bounce and it smacked him right in the nose.

A cheeky Waaaaay from the Wheatfield and I'm pretty sure he mouthed back F"&k off and smiled.

I know......cool story bro.

He was a great signing.....but he wasn't Fyssas.

Rocky jamboa

I really liked jose goncalves. Think if he played more, he would have been more of a legend. 

I've just checked and he was with us for 4 years and played 58 games!! Didn't seem to have been with us as long as that. I thought he was class though. 

On 03/10/2018 at 18:45, queensferryjambo said:

Tosh McKinlay and his goal in the 3-1 at Pittodrie. What a game and what a moment. Goal at 7 minutes 30 seconds

Putting things into perspective for younger fans - Aberdeen weren't shit in those day :)

This was what sprang immediately to mind when I saw the thread title.

Unknown user

Goncalves - I wonder if we're talking about the same guy when people remember him fondly, I remember a guy who shepherded the ball out of play, frequently looked like bambi on ice, and not a lot else. 

Whittaker, Pointon, Naysmith, Fyssas, Tosh, Mahe, Grainger - all waaay ahead of Goncalves for me. 

Takis all day long. Best player I’ve ever seen in maroon. Never saw a player go in for a slide tackle and stand up with the ball at his feet so many times. Also amazing going forward. Plus the singing at tynie after we beat Aberdeen lol!!

Unknown user
14 minutes ago, Jcy110715 said:

Takis all day long. Best player I’ve ever seen in maroon. Never saw a player go in for a slide tackle and stand up with the ball at his feet so many times. Also amazing going forward. Plus the singing at tynie after we beat Aberdeen lol!!

Yeah, I was too busy slagging Goncalves and forgot to say that Fyssas is the best left back we've had in my lifetime, he was just just ridiculously good, and a quality bloke too.

Takis.  Guy was different class.  A Euros winner and showed why every shift.  I'll always have fond memories of the "Thank you Takis" chant as a farewell for him.  He looked really moved.