Favourite Hearts left backs and moments

Skippy Doodle

queensferryjambo

Tosh McKinlay and his goal in the 3-1 at Pittodrie. What a game and what a moment. Goal at 7 minutes 30 seconds

Putting things into perspective for younger fans - Aberdeen weren't shit in those day :)

Edited by queensferryjambo

queensferryjambo

Gary Naismith goal vs Aberdeen in 3-1 win at Tynecastle - arguably the best league match of season 97/98. Midweek under the floodlights with an electric atmosphere and still going for the title.

1 minute ago, queensferryjambo said:

Gary Naismith goal vs Aberdeen in 3-1 win at Tynecastle - arguably the best league match of season 97/98. Midweek under the floodlights with an electric atmosphere and still going for the title.

Got in before me. Aye, an absolute screamer from Gary. He was a top player. 

queensferryjambo
2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Got in before me. Aye, an absolute screamer from Gary. He was a top player. 

He was class and still is.

His recent highlights - 

His talk at the Hearts shareholders meeting he was brilliant.

Jumping on and flattening Hearty Harry at the 98 Celebration night......... Legend :)

Just now, queensferryjambo said:

He was class and still is.

His recent highlights - 

His talk at the Hearts shareholders meeting he was brilliant.

Jumping on and flattening Hearty Harry at the 98 Celebration night......... Legend :)

Yep, he’s one of our own and a top bloke. He had a great career. 

All time XI though, David Holt?

BD1D39C1-87B6-4E22-A2E8-2AAA2532EE2E.jpeg.339d254d7213dfdb17a68568e05e167b.jpeg

Fitzroy Pointon

As mentioned, Naysmith's goal v. Aberdeen but also his volley v. St Johnstone in Perth. 

Tosh McKinlay was some player though. 

Mind a couple years ago when that cat ran onto the pitch and people were chanting 'can that cat play left back?'

Pretty much guaranteed to be an upgrade on Oshiniwa at the time...

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Tosh McKinlay, not only a brilliant left back, but left some Celtic ***** out cold with one punch at Celtic Park. Forget who he hit, but it was a beauty. Could have been a cup game?

kingantti1874

Fyssas best left back weve ever had.. Naismith and tosh are obviois calls but a shout out for Neil Pointon and danny Grainger.. Cult and cup heroes

A hard choice for be having followed Hearts for over sixty years. Davie Holt would have probably been my first choice. A hard uncompromising left back. Seen him deposit both Willie Henderson and Jimmy Johnstone onto the the shingle track a few times. Takis though would have to be my first choice. He oozed class.

It should have been ten

Best moment - Glynn Snodin free kick v Slavia Prague 1992

Edited by It should have been ten

upgotheheads

No question. I saw Davie Holt andTakis Fyssas. Takis shades it but they were the best two left backs I ever watched playing for Hearts.

46 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Tosh McKinlay, not only a brilliant left back, but left some Celtic ***** out cold with one punch at Celtic Park. Forget who he hit, but it was a beauty. Could have been a cup game?

It was Mick McCarthy he hit but didn't k.o. him. Alan McLaren had been sent off before him and was in the bath when Tosh came running in and told Alan to help him hold the door ( I got this from Jimmy McLaren Alan's dad). Alan was about to ask why when a very irate MM was heard rampaging along the corridor screaming for Toshes blood. He then began kicking the door. They were shitting themselves. It took several stewards to get MM away. Hilarious.

Glynn Snodin vs Prague , I was a ball boy that season and what an atmosphere said Russ abbot.

Edited by Jenks

Brighton Jambo

Fyssas was the classiest player I have seen in Maroon.

special moment mention to Neil Pointon with his goal against rangers in the 2-0 win a few weeks before the 1996 Cup Final.  I was convinced in that moment when I left Tynie that night we would win the cup, ah well! 

chuck berrys hairline

Always felt Stephanie Mahe was underrated during his spell with his. Not the best player by any means but wore his heart on his sleeve.

HillmanHearts

Not the best left back ever seen - but I recall an absolute screamer from George Cowie at Muirton Park. ( OK - was maybe slightly wind assisted ).

A favourite of my younger days was Peter Shields. Recall him mainly as he was a classy player in a ropey time for Hearts. 

Oh and that Danny McGrain went through him ( un-punished ) and burst his leg !    

A favourite character and bit of a cult hero was Brian (Rodger) Whittaker. Decent footballer and seemed a great bloke.

In audition to those already mentioned, Lee Wallace was, at the age of 17, an encouragement on some dark afternoons during a poor spell at left back long before his departure to the huns. 

Also liked Jose Goncalves when he played at left back although I know he took on some different roles and also really liked Adam Eckersley, who I never really felt got as much appreciation as he could have given more time.

But Tosh, Takis and early memories of Davie Holt will stay with me for a long time. 

Have to register a vote for Arthur Mann, a neat quick fullback with the best slide tackle I have ever seen, he used to slide in hook the ball and be on his feet and up the wing - loved it!!!

EasternRossco

Takis best player I've seen in maroon. Was devastated when Grainger moved on though. One of those players I always really liked without actually knowing why. 

Fitzroy Pointon
57 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Fyssas was the classiest player I have seen in Maroon.

special moment mention to Neil Pointon with his goal against rangers in the 2-0 win a few weeks before the 1996 Cup Final.  I was convinced in that moment when I left Tynie that night we would win the cup, ah well! 

Dissa was brilliant in the Ibrox win before that. Pretty sure he set up two of Johnston's goals. One a massive punt up the park I'm convinced was a pass.

It should have been ten

Juwon Oshaniwa 

I lied 

:qqb006:

Captain Bubblebeard
2 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Second thing that came to my mind after Takis’ wee flick that was on the start of Scotsport. It always annoys me hoe footage of Naysmiths goal cuts short the build up as, from my memory, it was significantly longer and more extravagant than what is shown.

Takis Fyssas... that bit of skill that was on the scotsport intro was different class. Home to Aberdeen I think. Tremendous player and a gentleman.

Naysmith also a big favourite. Goal at parkhead was top drawer in addition to his goals in Perth and against Aberdeen. Getting a move to Everton shows his class. 

I'm glad we have Mitchell and Garuccio now competing after not having a proper left back since Eckersley. 

3 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

This is my favourite goal for a left back to score. Gary really stuck it right up Aberdeen and Dean Windass after he shot his mouth off in the papers that Aberdeen were far better than Hearts.

3 hours ago, reaths17 said:

peter oliver, sandy burrell both got bad injuries, davie clunie, JJ 

Peter Shields, until McGrain double footed him out the game.

Dallas Green

Takis was a different level.

Austin's goal v Celtic was an incredible moment. Wasn't much a player but that goal will be something he is remembered by.

4 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Yep, he’s one of our own and a top bloke. He had a great career. 

All time XI though, David Holt?

BD1D39C1-87B6-4E22-A2E8-2AAA2532EE2E.jpeg.339d254d7213dfdb17a68568e05e167b.jpeg

Absolutely the greatest Hearts left back.

Better than Caldow and even Gemmell.

Legs like trees, killer tackles...

Tosh. 

I was chuffed to bits when we signed him, same week as Robbo's return, and he didn't disappoint. Tosh played for Hearts as if he'd supported us all his life. 100% every time. He hated Mickey Weir, thwarted him relentlessly and booted Darren Jackson in a derby, too. 

Takis oozed class but, for me, it's Tosh McKinlay. 

Edited by martoon

4 hours ago, ollie2004 said:

Arthur Mann.

Sold to Man City. Outstanding!

At that point, I believe, the most expensive defender in British football.

J.T.F.Robertson
5 hours ago, merrymac said:

Have to register a vote for Arthur Mann, a neat quick fullback with the best slide tackle I have ever seen, he used to slide in hook the ball and be on his feet and up the wing - loved it!!!

5 hours ago, ollie2004 said:

Arthur Mann.

Sold to Man City. Outstanding!

Arthur was pure class, also a vote for Peter Oliver, he was in the same vein.

Bridge of Djoum
9 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Tosh McKinlay and his goal in the 3-1 at Pittodrie. What a game and what a moment. Goal at 7 minutes 30 seconds

Putting things into perspective for younger fans - Aberdeen weren't shit in those day :)

Bobby Connor in that screenshot. A very good player. 

Bridge of Djoum
4 hours ago, martoon said:

Tosh. 

I was chuffed to bits when we signed him, same week as Robbo's return, and he didn't disappoint. Tosh played for Hearts as if he'd supported us all his life. 100% every time. He hated Mickey Weir, thwarted him relentlessly and booted Darren Jackson in a derby, too. 

Takis oozed class but, for me, it's Tosh McKinlay. 

We were in a club in Glasgow before 19/05/2012 and Tosh gave a few words. My top LB and a great guy despite being affiliated with ''them''.