Edinburgh accents.

Ba Baracus

Jam Tarts 1874

This is not just an Edinburgh thing. When I lived in Sheffield, lots of people said "right" at the end of every sentence. When I lived in London, lots of people said "yeah" at the end of every sentence. Watch Eastenders, you will see what I mean, yeah?

Jam Tarts 1874
My 7 year old daughter has started to put 'but' at the end of her sentences. So annoying!!!

At the Primary School I was at over 30 years ago this "but" thing was common, seemed to be mostly the girls that said it though, no idea why.

Although I did see an "expert" talking on TV ages ago about these words at the end of sentences. They suggested that it was just a way of communicating that you had finished your point and that it was OK for the other person in the conversation to say something, a bit like a verbal full stop.

Stewart MacD

Kiwis have the annoying habit of ending every sentence with "Eh". I can't remember it from Edinburgh. There is one Edinburgh habit I remember, but.

Suspect Device
Slightly off topic but don't we Edinburgh,Midlothian and East Lothian people use swear words better than anbody else in the world.

i'd agree with that, we must be the only ones to use C.U. next Tuesday as a term of endearment

"aye, Vlad might be mad, but he's a guid **** eh"

Chad Sexington
I first started to hear the word 'eh' being used at the start of the 90's. It was almost like being part of the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Out of the blue, more and more people I knew just started using the term. Strange days.

I blame Neighbours and Home & Away myself, eh.

:wacko:

I think your actualy right about that. It's an Australian thing.

The cult of saying "eh" after every sentence didn't exist until the 80's when these Aussie shows started.

Schemies were simply mimicking the actors from the shows they watched the most.

Ive noticed that folk from fife pronounce 2,4,7,11 twa,fower,seevan,eeleevan if you ken wit a mean eh?

Livingston area has a lot of "eh" at the end of sentences. Seems to have have got more common the last few years eh

My mate used to say "Aye um ur" instead "Yeah I am" or "Aye, I am"

Suspect Device
Ive noticed that folk from fife pronounce 2,4,7,11 twa,fower,seevan,eeleevan if you ken wit a mean eh?

fower an seevan mak eeleevan yeken ;)

You forgot the "neebs" or "sir" at the end of that Fife sentence. I've been in Fife for 3 years now and just understanding them ;)

Mind you I head over to Dundee for a pint now and then and it's all peh's and circles.

Like a previous poster said, if you are born and bred you never notice it. I was brought up in Perth and don't know of any "perth-isms", cue tractor / carrot jokes...:P

Archived