Edinburgh accents.

Ba Baracus

Now i lived in Edinburgh for most of my childhood and to my memory I never recall say 'eh' at the end of every sentence, in fact after every word as seems to be the norm. Where did this horrible horrible thick sounding habbit come from ???

Now i lived in Edinburgh for most of my childhood and to my memory I never recall say 'eh' at the end of every sentence, in fact after every word as seems to be the norm. Where did this horrible horrible thick sounding habbit come from ???

Leith.

I thought you were a Fifer eh!

Sheriff Fatman

Probably the same place as the use of the word 'like' at the end of a sentence and the incredibly annoying habit of putting the word 'fact' at the end of a sound bite and assuming that that will be the end of any argument.

I thought you were a Fifer eh!

my early childhood eh why drop the sneeky from your name. not sneeky now eh ????

my early childhood eh why drop the sneeky from your name. not sneeky now eh ????

You know me better than that.;)

When I was lad sentences were usually finished off with ken, ken?

I was brought up in Lochend though and went tae Leithie, ken?

Likesay is an Irvine Welsh construct I believe likesay, ken?

Who the **** is ken? Ken?

I always have, and still do, finish my sentences with 'eh'. I have no connections to Leith. Corstorphiner all my days. ;)

Being pedantic here, but this thread's about slang / dialect (depending on who you speak to. I'd say slang) rather than accent.

Bordeaux 03

I always think Edinburgh folk have put on posh accents.

Us Fifers supposedly have an accent but not sure i agree, was told this by a Geordie who guessed i was from Fife. :confused:

Us Fifers supposedly have an accent but not sure i agree, was told this by a Geordie who guessed i was from Fife. :confused:

Naw neebs that's right, you could never spot a Fifer just by the way they talk.

Bordeaux 03
Naw neebs that's right, you could never spot a Fifer just by the way they talk.

:P

Hate that neebs or neebour. If your from the likes of Leven, Methil, Kirkcaldy, Lochgelly, Ballingry you probably speak like that.

Being pedantic here, but this thread's about slang / dialect (depending on who you speak to. I'd say slang) rather than accent.

Saying eh at the end of a sentence is definitely an east coast habit. But it comes with the accent.

The further west you go the accent is totally different. Glaswegians do not say "Ken" and "Eh" at the end of every sentence. It does not go with their accent or flow of words. The weege normally say "you know" or "by the way" at the end of a sentence.

Where as folk from Dundee always say "jings crivens, help ma boab" and Aberdonians say "Is it no your round" :)

Dundee, they are also the worlds worst for saying that.

My collegue @ work always finishes a sentence with.... right!

if you can do this ...right

can you do that ...right

now thats nippy

Adi Dassler

There has yet to be anybody, on stage or screen, who can do a proper Edinburgh accent.

Trainspotting, Rebus, Looking After JoJo, Wedding Belles, Restless Natives.

You name it, they have all been brutal.

Personally i say 'like' a lot, ocassionaly 'eh', but cannae say i ever say 'likesay' after a sentence.

Besides, if we all sound like that poof off Big Brother we'd be saying SFA.

The only time I've ever used any of the above is saying 'eh?' as a variant of pardon/excuse me.

I was quite aware of it when I was in Edinburgh but it's only since I've came down here, where it most certainly is not the norm, that I've realised how unbelievably rude it sounds.

Still makes the odd appearance when someone says something particularly daft, though I've made a concious effort to cut it out of everyday response so as not to get sacked for being a *****!

Saying eh at the end of a sentence is definitely an east coast habit. But it comes with the accent.

I meant East Coast slang / dialect. It certainly isn't anything to do with accent.

I tend to say "like" and "eh" quite a lot. It's become second nature to the extent that I don't even notice that I'm doing it most of the time.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

When I first moved to Edinburgh, some people thought I was a weegie! I've never been so insulted in all my life!

Romanov Stole My Pension

I'm living in Glasgow and they take the **** whenever i say eh or ken. Not nearly as bad as their stupid habit of saying "so i am" at the end of every sentence, thats really nippy.

Would likesay not be spelt likeseh?

chester copperpot
Scary thats the first thought that came into my head too!!!

Carricknowe

When I was lad sentences were usually finished off with ken, ken?

I was brought up in Lochend though and went tae Leithie, ken?

Likesay is an Irvine Welsh construct I believe likesay, ken?

Who the **** is ken? Ken?

hey, i wiz broat up in lochend tae, ken.

but went tae holyrood, naw gen up.

we must huv went tae different schools the gether.

;):P

The Old Tolbooth

can you do that ...right

now thats nippy

You've got a cheek calling anyone nippy :peek_by_Andrin:

When I first moved to Edinburgh, some people thought I was a weegie! I've never been so insulted in all my life!

Have you ever missed a bus home from Kilmarnock? :ph34r:

conn artist
I'm living in Glasgow and they take the **** whenever i say eh or ken. Not nearly as bad as their stupid habit of saying "so i am" at the end of every sentence, thats really nippy.

Would likesay not be spelt likeseh?

i'm not aware that i say it but apparantly i do cos the lassie at work is constantly rippin me everytime i say it, along with you've been through here almost five years now when you gonna stop talking all east coast, probably never ya weedgie trumpet as its my upbringing!

maybe you just dont hear it as it is more of the norm back in edinburgh. its still better than the weedgie equivalent of whit!

I meant East Coast slang / dialect. It certainly isn't anything to do with accent.

I tend to say "like" and "eh" quite a lot. It's become second nature to the extent that I don't even notice that I'm doing it most of the time.

I thought the dialect would come with the accent, they complement each other.

portobellojambo1

Were you standing at the bar in a pub with your hands in your pockets by any chance. ;)

I thought the dialect would come with the accent, they complement each other.

Possibly, but it doesn't make them the same thing.

I did say that I was being pedantic.

Pete Seeger

I get that all the time when I'm in Edinburgh. But I've had weegies saying they hear a bit of East coast in me. They can't understand our central accent is neither East nor West.

I get that all the time when I'm in Edinburgh. But I've had weegies saying they hear a bit of East coast in me. They can't understand our central accent is neither East nor West.

a real weegie trait is when recalling a conversation with someone they say

'and i was like that' like what exactly ? stupid

Dr Ian Malcolm

"Byraway", "so it is" (usually at the end of a sentence) and for some reason "big man" all seem to be common and incredibly irritating expressions in the weeg.

Ken whit a mean gadges?

Suspect Device
There has yet to be anybody, on stage or screen, who can do a proper Edinburgh accent.

Trainspotting, Rebus, Looking After JoJo, Wedding Belles, Restless Natives.

You name it, they have all been brutal.

Personally i say 'like' a lot, ocassionaly 'eh', but cannae say i ever say 'likesay' after a sentence.

Besides, if we all sound like that poof off Big Brother we'd be saying SFA.

always thought Mike Mayers (sp) got it pretty good in "So I Married An Axe Murderer" and "Shrek"

apparently picked up the Scottish accent from coming over to the Fringe :)

Era Macaroons

can you do that ...right

now thats nippy

mib u were doing everything wrong:rolleyes:

always thought Mike Mayers (sp) got it pretty good in "So I Married An Axe Murderer" and "Shrek"

apparently picked up the Scottish accent from coming over to the Fringe :)

Mike Myers parents were from Liverpool, but I think his Grandad was Scottish.

"A piper is down, 's aw right, he's jist peshed"

Brilliant.

christhejambo

'But' at the end of a sentence gets right on my tits. Not sure of the provenance- fairly sure its a west thing though. My neighbour has come back from uni in Glasgow and its even more horrendous than before

Denny Crane

I've lived in Glasgow for the past nine years and have had a few folk clocking me as being an Edinburgh boy. However, the weird thing is, I only spent the first three years of my life there with the next 18 being in England before being awarded a uni berth at Aberdeen. I'd class my accent as northern English but are the Weedgies picking up a faint undercurrent of a Comely Bank accent (which the majority of the family - excluding the 1st generation Polish wing - have: ie . Posh in comparrison to Ken and his mates in Leith)?

Denny Crane

Incidentally, one actor from Edinburgh who has kept his accent is a pal of my old man and uncle respectively, John McGlynn (not the current Raith boss) who played Calum Buchanan in "All Creatures Great & Small".

I always thought Rebus was quite good for Edinburgh accents.

Although to be fair, as long as it doesn't sound like a weegie, it's going to sound OK anyway.

tommythejambo

I used to have a habit of saying 'eh' at the end of every sentence. Was brought up in Northfield with close links to Portobello, so no idea where it came from.

Not sure if I've stopped doing it or just not getting picked up on it.

this_is_my_story
'But' at the end of a sentence gets right on my tits. Not sure of the provenance- fairly sure its a west thing though. My neighbour has come back from uni in Glasgow and its even more horrendous than before

Was going to post the same. Definitely a thing of the Weedge, I reckon. For example, "Ah need tae go hame an' get cheynged, Ah've pished ma shellsuit but."

Glamorgan Jambo

When I was phoning the Western General a lot last year (my mum was in hospital) the local nurses would always end a sentence with 'and that' .... to which I guess my usual response was 'eh'

PS Americans always take the mickey out of Canadians for saying 'eh' and 'yo'. People from cardiff always slag off people from Barry (ref Gavin & Stacey) for saying 'tidy' and the French always laugh about the Belgians for their use of 'savoir' instead of 'pouvoir'

:):)

As an Edinburgh person I always thought we were the only ones who didn't have an accent, although within that there were the Morningside, Southside and then the stronger more pronounced accents. As far as Eh is concerned I honestly thought that was a habit I had picked up in Canada as it is very prevalent here, and as has been said by Glamorgan Jambo is a source of great amusement to Americans.

A Boy Named Crow
a real weegie trait is when recalling a conversation with someone they say

'and i was like that' like what exactly ? stupid

That is a ned trait - more particularly teenage lassie neds!

A Boy Named Crow
Was going to post the same. Definitely a thing of the Weedge, I reckon. For example, "Ah need tae go hame an' get cheynged, Ah've pished ma shellsuit but."

Hate to be picky (actually I love it) but the use of "but" at the end of the sentance is really just a misplacement of the word. An example would be "Ah wiz goanna go doon the toon fir a boatle the day, I've pished my shellsuit but."

The way you put it would instantly mark you out as an Edinbugger!

championsleaguefan

awright gadgys what aw the mumpin aboot we can sprff how we want eh liksay ken. What it got to dae wi youse eh.:hobofish:

Mark_Mywords

I first started to hear the word 'eh' being used at the start of the 90's. It was almost like being part of the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Out of the blue, more and more people I knew just started using the term. Strange days.

I blame Neighbours and Home & Away myself, eh.

:wacko:

Slightly off topic but don't we Edinburgh,Midlothian and East Lothian people use swear words better than anbody else in the world.

Archived