Mobile Phone Recommendations

Alan_R

MOBILE PHONE RECOMMENDATIONS:

My usual go to is Cubot phones as you get a lot for your money but my wife doesnt like large phones and prefers screen around 5" or less (think old iphone size). Trouble is most of the newer phones have large screens.

-Must be handset only (unlocked)
-Must be 5" screen or close
-Must have good battery life
-Not crazy expensive
-New preferred unless refurb is grade A+

The Huawei p9 Lite was an option but battery is not so great apparently?

Please no contract recommendations. I want to purchase handset only.

Cheers!

The Old Tolbooth

I changed from iPhone to Samsung Galaxy, and now regret it very much, I absolutely detest the Galaxy. 

The wife on the other hand went for the smaller version of the iPhone 7 as she likes a small one too ;) 

11 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I changed from iPhone to Samsung Galaxy, and now regret it very much, I absolutely detest the Galaxy. 

The wife on the other hand went for the smaller version of the iPhone 7 as she likes a small one too ;) 

I've seen this with a few mates. IPhone users switching to galaxy hate them, and the same vice versa.

I suppose people prefer what they're used to. Personally I like both, I have a galaxy s8 as a personnel phone, and an iPhone SE from my work. Love them both.

iPhone Se now being discontinued, I think the seven is going to be smallest size, 

My old 5 is giving up the ghost, just bought an se from John Lewis for 239 with 2 year guarantee

hopefully this will last as long as my 5 did

Perfect size for my pocket

• 2 months later...

I've went sim only for last phone and bought the Motorola G5S plus. The Moto phones generally don't come with bloatware or unnecessary apps. Plus the Moto phones are priced well.

On 13/09/2018 at 13:45, King prawn said:

Moto G5 

How do you find the camera.

I have the Moto 4g and think the camera is shit, either that, I am hopeless at taking photos.

I have a fancy for the Huawei P20 Lite, Tech Radar say it's decent but can get better for similar money (but don't tell you what)

18 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I have the Moto 4g and think the camera is shit, either that, I am hopeless at taking photos.

I have a fancy for the Huawei P20 Lite, Tech Radar say it's decent but can get better for similar money (but don't tell you what)

It's a little more but you'll get a Pocophone F1 for £280 from Amazon just now. Been officially available in the UK for about a month and you won't get better for the money.

20 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Not incredible if I’m honest and for the first time I got an iPhone recently - definitely worth me paying extra monthly for it (considering how much I use my phone).

For £150 though, Moto G5 was a cracking phone and meets the OPs requirements

12 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Friend of mine says he got the iPhone XR from voda for £35pm with 100GB nothing up front.. Sounds decent. 

I did this deal and with cash back it worked out about £25 a month.

It's worth bearing in mind that most phones are coming with bigger screens now but they might not be that much bigger in the pocket as they have smaller bezels. Sites like gsmarena are good for comparing phone sizes. You can put your old phone in and compare another two phones with it at any one time.

1 hour ago, Jamboelite said:

Not sure it was black friday with mobilephone direct i think.

Thats really the only website you should ever get a phone through. Always has the cheapest deals.

The Old Tolbooth
15 hours ago, IronJambo said:

It's a little more but you'll get a Pocophone F1 for £280 from Amazon just now. Been officially available in the UK for about a month and you won't get better for the money.

Decent review here of the Pocophone as well

12 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Thats really the only website you should ever get a phone through. Always has the cheapest deals.

They are far more expensive for the sim free that I am looking at?

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

They are far more expensive for the sim free that I am looking at?

I meant for phone contracts. Never used it for SIM Only. I got my recent SIM only through EE directly.

1 hour ago, Bauld said:

My wife just got the nokia 7.1

Solid phone and good battery life.

I've got the Nokia 8 and my wife has the 7 Plus. Stock android is definitely my preference, and as you say the other features, camera, fingerprint scanner etc are very solid.

Better call Saul
4 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Got my eye on one of these (4GB RAM version). Can get one of these for about £140. Bargain:

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a2_lite_(redmi_6_pro)-9247.php

Looks decent... Actually thinking about something like this when my contract ends as what else can phoned do massively different to justify some of the prices P/m? 

8 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Looks decent... Actually thinking about something like this when my contract ends as what else can phoned do massively different to justify some of the prices P/m? 

Just paying for the brand really.

I think that particular phone I posted there isn't water proof and doesn't do the contactless card payment thing. Big deal!