Jump to content
Sir Gio

Steven Naismith - Legend in Waiting?

Recommended Posts

Sir Gio

We have had heroes over the years. Talismanic figures.

 

In my lifetime, most notably Robbo, Jim Jefferies, the cup winning heroes of 98, Cameron, Adam, then Pressley, Gordon, Hartley and of course Rudi.

 

I reckon we have another crop here, with Berra leading the side.

 

But by a country mile Steven Naismith is the most influential player I have seen in a Hearts shirt probably in my life. Quite a statement.

 

But Naismith has the appearances (many at the highest level) goals, caps to prove it, he has worn the T shirt and with aplomb. But this guy is not finished, far from it, he is on a rebirth.

 

I do hope Jan 1st 2019, he is offered what importantly we can afford, but what he deserves.

 

Bookmark it if you like and come back to haunt me, but this guy is the cornerstone to future success.

 

Absolute quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GavK1012

Im now worried Sevco will see this is easy pickings and get him on a pre-contract...

 

We can speculate all we want and put our maroon specs on but if they did see it as viable I would imagine he would go...he is Sevco minded and may see it as a chance to redeem himself ala McGregor and Laff...

 

All we can do is continue to offer him a platform where he is the focal point for the team and younger pro's and hopefully compete for Europe and maybe a Final at least to evidence what it means to be a Jambo and have our support... ❤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlimOzturk

Naismith is in his peak. We are massivley fortunate to have him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bking9
8 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

We have had heroes over the years. Talismanic figures.

 

In my lifetime, most notably Robbo, Jim Jefferies, the cup winning heroes of 98, Cameron, Adam, then Pressley, Gordon, Hartley and of course Rudi.

 

I reckon we have another crop here, with Berra leading the side.

 

But by a country mile Steven Naismith is the most influential player I have seen in a Hearts shirt probably in my life. Quite a statement.

 

But Naismith has the appearances (many at the highest level) goals, caps to prove it, he has worn the T shirt and with aplomb. But this guy is not finished, far from it, he is on a rebirth.

 

I do hope Jan 1st 2019, he is offered what importantly we can afford, but what he deserves.

 

Bookmark it if you like and come back to haunt me, but this guy is the cornerstone to future success.

 

Absolute quality.

I agreed, only if he signs permanently for a couple of years though, would hate for him to be the legend that we never had. 

 

Regardless if he signs permanently though he is clearly a massive influence in this hearts squad and fingers crossed could go on to win silverware with us. 

 

Still has 3 or 4 years in him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dino Velvet

I doubt he'll be at hearts long enough to be considered a legend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jammy T

I presume in theory Norwich could

sell him in January?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamboJen
2 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

I presume in theory Norwich could

sell him in January?

Would imagine that would have to be part of their loan agreement with us. We've got him on the understanding we have him for the season and as a major part of our plans. If it was agreed that Norwich could sell him in January I'd imagine we'd have some sort of compensation clause in there from them along with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jammy T
2 minutes ago, JamboJen said:

Would imagine that would have to be part of their loan agreement with us. We've got him on the understanding we have him for the season and as a major part of our plans. If it was agreed that Norwich could sell him in January I'd imagine we'd have some sort of compensation clause in there from them along with it.

 

Not sure what bargaining chip we would have if any as Norwich will be paying nearly all his wages.

 

Its possibly why he came on loan only even though he was in his last year anyway.

 

Norwich retain right to sell him with 6 months left on his contract rather than let him come to us for a low to zero fee when he re-signed.

Edited by Jammy T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FarmerTweedy
10 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

Im now worried Sevco will see this is easy pickings and get him on a pre-contract...

 

We can speculate all we want and put our maroon specs on but if they did see it as viable I would imagine he would go...he is Sevco minded and may see it as a chance to redeem himself ala McGregor and Laff...

 

All we can do is continue to offer him a platform where he is the focal point for the team and younger pro's and hopefully compete for Europe and maybe a Final at least to evidence what it means to be a Jambo and have our support... ❤

I don't know the guy personally, so am not ITK in any way, but I don't think the lure of sevco will be anything like as strong for Naismith as it was for Lafferty.  I don't think Naismith is quite the 'dyed in the wool' rangers supporter Lafferty is, and I think Naismith is far, far better off financially, as firstly, he'll have earned a hell of a lot more money (£20-25 million by my very rough estimate) over his career, and secondly he seems to have been far more sensible with his money!  If money was a significant factor for him these days, I'm sure he'd still be at Norwich, on full pay but never getting a game!

 

So I think his choice of what to do next season and beyond will simply be down to what he thinks he'll enjoy most, and what's best for his family.  He seems to be rejuvenated this season playing for us, we seem to be very much heading in the right direction as a club and a team, he's back in the Scotland squad/team and almost certainly in the squad to stay for a good while, so there's no need to move to sevco for that, and therefore I don't see any major draw from sevco on the playing side.  Finally, if he went back there, it exposes his young children to life in the 'old firm goldfish bowl'.  I'm not sure he'd want that for his kids.

 

So, I'm very confident that he'll be at Hearts next season and beyond on a long-term contract!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FarmerTweedy
14 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

I presume in theory Norwich could

sell him in January?

They could only sell him if it was a move he was happy with.  The only thing they could force him to do is return to Norwich for the 2nd half of this season, and even that would depend on the terms of the loan agreement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Selkirkhmfc1874
15 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

I presume in theory Norwich could

sell him in January?

No , we've paid Norwich a fee to have naismith for the whole season ! A do know there's plans to talk about a pre contract in January 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
letsalldothebeattie

I agree Naisy is a legend in waiting but for him to be a legend he needs to stay beyond the summer. Help push us forward more as a club where we are able to challenge for both cups and the league on a regular basis. 

 

I would like to believe that Ann, Craig & Austin have spoke about keeping him and have a pre contract ready for him and I’d like to believe Naisy has been sounded out about staying permanently and is keen to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamboJen
10 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

 

Not sure what bargaining chip we would have if any as Norwich will be paying nearly all his wages.

 

Its possibly why he came on loan only even though he was in his last year anyway.

 

Norwich retain right to sell him with 6 months left on his contract rather than let him come to us for a low to zero fee when he re-signed.

I think we're saying the same thing - it's whatever's in the loan agreement. If Norwich are able to sell him in January we'd know about it already, I'm just not sure we'd accept that sort of ambiguity over a key player, especially as we seemed to expect Lafferty's departure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4marsbars

We just have to do everything in our power to make sure that he stays in love with the club. I think winning the league would help. I realise this post might look rather daft when May comes round, but if we cannot dream there's no point being a fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Gio
21 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I don't know the guy personally, so am not ITK in any way, but I don't think the lure of sevco will be anything like as strong for Naismith as it was for Lafferty.  I don't think Naismith is quite the 'dyed in the wool' rangers supporter Lafferty is, and I think Naismith is far, far better off financially, as firstly, he'll have earned a hell of a lot more money (£20-25 million by my very rough estimate) over his career, and secondly he seems to have been far more sensible with his money!  If money was a significant factor for him these days, I'm sure he'd still be at Norwich, on full pay but never getting a game!

 

So I think his choice of what to do next season and beyond will simply be down to what he thinks he'll enjoy most, and what's best for his family.  He seems to be rejuvenated this season playing for us, we seem to be very much heading in the right direction as a club and a team, he's back in the Scotland squad/team and almost certainly in the squad to stay for a good while, so there's no need to move to sevco for that, and therefore I don't see any major draw from sevco on the playing side.  Finally, if he went back there, it exposes his young children to life in the 'old firm goldfish bowl'.  I'm not sure he'd want that for his kids.

 

So, I'm very confident that he'll be at Hearts next season and beyond on a long-term contract!

It was good to see all of his family at the St Mirren match, with one of his girls wearing a Hearts top with Daddy 14 on the back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jonnothejambo

One of the best players I have ever seen in a Hearts jersey in the 55 plus years I have been following the Hearts.

 

His ability, workrate and influence both on and off the park make him by far our most important player at this point in time. 

 

Plus the fact that he is a genuine, decent bloke who raised a lot of money for charity. 

 

We are fortunate to have him at our club and it was superb work by Budge and Levein to get him. 

 

I am not concerned that he will end up at Sevco. I think he has found a new spiritual home at Tynecastle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thought Police

I’ve learned not to get too attached, it just ends up hurting more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mauricio Pinilla

Regardless of what actually happens we are definitely going to have to put up with rangers rumours all season. 

Edited by Mauricio Pinilla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
...a bit disco
1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

One of the best players I have ever seen in a Hearts jersey in the 55 plus years I have been following the Hearts.

 

His ability, workrate and influence both on and off the park make him by far our most important player at this point in time. 

 

Plus the fact that he is a genuine, decent bloke who raised a lot of money for charity. 

 

We are fortunate to have him at our club and it was superb work by Budge and Levein to get him. 

 

I am not concerned that he will end up at Sevco. I think he has found a new spiritual home at Tynecastle.

 

I'll go along with this.

 

Apart from the fact that he is in outstanding form this season, which will no doubt make some bigger clubs sit up and take notice. Unfortunately for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gorgie rools

He won't go to rangers as Gerrard doesn't like him. Fell out when he was at Everton apparently 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Gio
1 minute ago, Thought Police said:

I’ve learned not to get too attached, it just ends up hurting more

Too late for me. I am in neck deep.

 

Watching him last night was an absolute pleasure. Hitting the post as he did other players would hide, not him he just tried even harder and influenced the game more and more. He literally drags others with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Gio

I think the post made regarding his children could be the most pertinent and prudent observation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salad Fingers

Don't get where the Rangers chat is coming from. Is it not well known he is a Killie fan? Just because he once played for Rangers doesn't mean he would jump at the chance to go back or that they would want him. Let's not lump him in with Lafferty who was desperate to move back there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NaturalOrder74

I wouldn’t worry too much about sevco with Naismith just because he was the one who came out and said rangers died, no way they would have him back, he’s more of a boyd who will haunt them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blackpool tae Gorgie

We have him for the season at least,enjoy it lets stop worrying about what lies ahead

this is not a rehearsal its the main event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spellczech
11 minutes ago, gorgie rools said:

He won't go to rangers as Gerrard doesn't like him. Fell out when he was at Everton apparently 

Also he just seems to be too much of a decent sort off the pitch - charity work etc to be rampant Rangers...

 

I think he is motivated by personal achievement more than simply money. Some players would go in the huff at not being included in that bare bones summer tour Scotland squad after what he's contributed previously, or not included in the initial squad for last 2 games - maybe even announce international retirement...not Naismith, he just set about making a call up impossible to ignore, and then getting in the starting line up. There is no big ego with the guy.

 

If anywhere he is a Killie fan, but I think his footballing loyalty is absolute to where he is playing, as long as he is respected there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
avhudtheteeshirt
1 minute ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about sevco with Naismith just because he was the one who came out and said rangers died, no way they would have him back, he’s more of a boyd who will haunt them 

And the more he haunts them the better in my eyes!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Debut 4

A manager on the pitch.

 

I hope he is here a very long time to continue instilling the will to win but also getting across his match experience as he does at the minute.

 

He’s a clever player. Always finds moments in the game to give advice and gets the team ready, or players closest to him, for the next piece of play.  

 

Its sometimes overlooked how much these small things make a big difference between winning and losing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heartsfc_fan
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Naismith is in his peak. We are massivley fortunate to have him. 

This.

He is a talented player and we are very lucky to have him. I hope he stays on after his loan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
livi
4 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

This.

He is a talented player and we are very lucky to have him. I hope he stays on after his loan.

 

His link up play with Steven Maclean is a joy to watch.  Long may it continue as they make so many things happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Gio
3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

A manager on the pitch.

 

I hope he is here a very long time to continue instilling the will to win but also getting across his match experience as he does at the minute.

 

He’s a clever player. Always finds moments in the game to give advice and gets the team ready, or players closest to him, for the next piece of play.  

 

Its sometimes overlooked how much these small things make a big difference between winning and losing. 

What he is teaching the likes of Harry on a daily basis. I am as enthusiastic as I have ever been.

We have put together something very good. The infrastructure is fantastic from academy to training to stadium.

To have players like Christophe and Steven in the team I suppose is the final cherry. It helps us grow the first team brand.

Having said all of this, he will need to be on top form on Saturday. I don't think we are close to be a finished article, far from it, but having the likes of Naismith involved is a very big thing for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1874KRM
58 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

No , we've paid Norwich a fee to have naismith for the whole season ! A do know there's plans to talk about a pre contract in January 

I was thinking about that last night, hopefully we can sign him on a precontract in January 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bauld

Norwich are doing shite right now so hopefully they don't see him as an option and have no option to recall.

 

Rangers fans, some didn't want Lafferty because of the way he left. Even more won't want Naismith because he properly stuck the knife in.

 

 

If he can take us to Hampden, Win a trophy and pump Hibs this season then he has to go into consideration. But I doubt he will be here for more than a season which will make legend status a bit out of reach.....unless the unimaginable happens and next season we are in the champions league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomson1874

I hope that he is beginning to fall in love with the club and the structure in place with youth here because he will want to have an influence on their careers, we can already see that with Cochrane etc.

 

I think he will also feel slightly in debt to hearts for allowing his career to kick start again, rather than wasting away in some u23 team down at Norwich, and that has ended with him back in the Scotland squad again and hopefully getting to 50 caps.

 

We can live in hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
8 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

What he is teaching the likes of Harry on a daily basis. I am as enthusiastic as I have ever been.

We have put together something very good. The infrastructure is fantastic from academy to training to stadium.

To have players like Christophe and Steven in the team I suppose is the final cherry. It helps us grow the first team brand.

Having said all of this, he will need to be on top form on Saturday. I don't think we are close to be a finished article, far from it, but having the likes of Naismith involved is a very big thing for us.

This is the exciting thing for me too, Naismith is just part of a hugely positive and progressive picture at Riccarton. In the short term, his influence is obvious, in the long term we're going to be the club that the right type of players want to come to. 

 

Best club in the land

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Debut 4
16 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

What he is teaching the likes of Harry on a daily basis. I am as enthusiastic as I have ever been.

We have put together something very good. The infrastructure is fantastic from academy to training to stadium.

To have players like Christophe and Steven in the team I suppose is the final cherry. It helps us grow the first team brand.

Having said all of this, he will need to be on top form on Saturday. I don't think we are close to be a finished article, far from it, but having the likes of Naismith involved is a very big thing for us.

Agree very much but it’s how we fight to maintain what we are building is the challenge as the years pass. 

 

As for Saturday, I think it’s a real

test of our mettle. I actually don’t rate Motherwell that much but what they will do is fight hard, lump balls early to put us under pressure and look to land in good areas from the scraps.  

 

We we need to match that and more.

 

I don’t expect a 97-98 come back from 2-0 down swashbuckling style performance from us as I don’t think we are there yet, but I hope to see one of those performances where we show more will to win and a persistence you need to edge these matches.....that’s where Naismith comes in. 

 

Edited by Debut 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Gio
6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

This is the exciting thing for me too, Naismith is just part of a hugely positive and progressive picture at Riccarton. In the short term, his influence is obvious, in the long term we're going to be the club that the right type of players want to come to. 

 

Best club in the land

 

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Agree very much but it’s how we fight to maintain what we are building is the challenge as the years pass. 

 

As for Saturday, I think it’s a real

test of our mettle. I actually don’t rate Motherwell that much but what they will do is fight hard, lump balls early to put us under pressure and look to land in good areas from the scraps.  

 

We we need to match that and more.

 

I don’t expect a 97-98 come back from 2-0 down swashbuckling style performance from us as I don’t think we are there yet, but I hope to see one of those performances where we show more will to win and a persistence you need to edge these matches.....that’s where Naismith comes in. 

 

Agree with both, obviously  :)

 

The proof of the pudding might not be in what the high profile players themselves do, but how those around react. Ferguson had a wonderful knack of getting the best out of ordinary players, making them very good players, but that was in part by first of all making his more talented players leaders.

 

Early days for this Hearts side but early indicators, others are raising their level.

 

I am excited, I think we have talent at different levels, allied to some good pro's, I feel we are working on fundamentals/foundations for long term growth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jamhammer

I have to admit when I heard he was coming I was chuffed cos I thought he was decent and would do a job. I'd always disliked him playing for other teams but it was only when I saw him playing for us that I could actually see how good he is. How influential he is and how much he cares.

He is a tremendous asset and seems to enjoy it here. I think he's an intelligent fella and Sevco won't be as attractive to him because of the baggage that is there. I think if he's happy he'll stay.

 

I certainly hope he does as he's flying just now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4marsbars
25 minutes ago, livi said:

 

His link up play with Steven Maclean is a joy to watch. 

 

 

It certainly is. Having Uche in that mix helps too. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spellczech
22 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Norwich are doing shite right now so hopefully they don't see him as an option and have no option to recall.

 

Rangers fans, some didn't want Lafferty because of the way he left. Even more won't want Naismith because he properly stuck the knife in.

 

 

If he can take us to Hampden, Win a trophy and pump Hibs this season then he has to go into consideration. But I doubt he will be here for more than a season which will make legend status a bit out of reach.....unless the unimaginable happens and next season we are in the champions league.

To be honest it doesn't matter what the Rangers fans think - they accepted McGregor and Lafferty back. I think Naismith is a proud man and he'll have known he was better than Norwich so it was insulting that they didn't want him. Rangers are Rangers and they will think they could get Naismith if they wanted. Thing is though that where the respective teams are right now, other than money there is not much Rangers can offer Naismith that Hearts can't - except the unpleasantness which a family man may not want to expose his kids to...

Edited by Spellczech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodami

Love Naismith but to approach any kind of legendary status two things have to happen. He stays beyond this season and also wins a trophy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i8hibsh

Feeling so good about our squad, I really just have one thing to say...

 

 

Bring on the ****ing Hibees!

 

 

:robboyas:     :rudiyas:   :yas:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graygo
1 hour ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about sevco with Naismith just because he was the one who came out and said rangers died, no way they would have him back, he’s more of a boyd who will haunt them 

 

That'll be the Boyd who went back to Sevco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maroonnicky63

I like Naismith a lot but trying to say he will be a legend as early as this is way over the top . I suggest some people should calm down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SE16 3LN

He looks at the peak of fitness and like he's loving football. If he stays injury free then Hearts will have a great season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NaturalOrder74
6 minutes ago, graygo said:

 

That'll be the Boyd who went back to Sevco.

 

I seem to remember his return being absolutely awful, if was once he left them and went back to killie he’s been incredible. Anyway, I’ll be happy with what we can get out Naismith I don’t think our whole team relies on him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Olly Lee's left boot

If he signs a two year deal in Jan then possibly, yes.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bongo 1874
3 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

If he signs a two year deal in Jan then possibly, yes.

 

 

 

Feck it give the lad a phree year deal ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Olly Lee's left boot
Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Feck it give the lad a phree year deal ?

 

phree year deals are cursed.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bongo 1874
7 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

 

phree year deals are cursed.....

? knew u would say that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...