Steven Naismith - Legend in Waiting?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

CanadianJamTart

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/10/24/some-rangers-wants-want-in-form-steven-naismith-back-at-ibrox/

And so it begins. Just like Lafferty. Nothing pisses me off more than a player performing well, and then immediately the news starts on Celtic or Rangers buying them up.

We have a big job as fans to make him feel loved and want to stay and be a legend, rather than move for more money but just be another player in the roster. That's what can make the difference (obviously along with money...)

Edited by CanadianJamTart

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• maroonnicky63

• Bongo 1874

• Bazzas right boot

Selkirkhmfc1874
14 minutes ago, CanadianJamTart said:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/10/24/some-rangers-wants-want-in-form-steven-naismith-back-at-ibrox/

And so it begins. Just like Lafferty. Nothing pisses me off more than a player performing well, and then immediately the news starts on Celtic or Rangers buying them up.

We have a big job as fans to make him feel loved and want to stay and be a legend, rather than move for more money but just be another player in the roster. That's what can make the difference (obviously along with money...)

That's only supporters on a message board talking 

We should pull put all the stops to keep him, within reason of course. He is such an important playing for us and contributes so much on the park, over and above the playing side

I am seriously concerned that he is actually doing too well, and either Celtic or Sevco will try to secure him on a pre-contract in January. Possibly even with the intention of playing him, though more likely just to stop him playing for us.

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Would happily stump up cash for him to stay here just so they ***** don't get him.

How much have you got? Let Anne know

Here’s my thinking.  If Souttar hadn’t got injured, I think we’d have sold him and tried to secure Naismith and Dunne on a permanent deal.

CanadianJamTart
2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

That's only supporters on a message board talking 

I know - I'm just so hyper conscious of it. ******* hate them and their money.

29 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

How much have you got? Let Anne know

I reckon if everyone was up for it we would raise a decent amount.

12 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

''Ann''.

It matters.

#annspellingmatters

no, no it doesn't

Sure it didn't to my hero Roobbo, or Skucel either

Lord Beni of Gorgie
23 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

#annspellingmatters

no, no it doesn't

Sure it didn't to my hero Roobbo, or Skucel either

Let alone Bozniak 

3 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Could become a legend. Certainly one of the best players to ever wear a Hearts jersey.

If we win anything this season, Naisy will be one of or probably the main reason, a bit like Rudi in that respect. 

Look at Steven MacLean, he’s 35/36 and is still a good player at this level. Naisy is only 32, so he’ll be good for another 3 or 4 years yet.

I think we can offer him that long term security but we’d still have to be throwing 6 grand a week minimum at him. Worth it though. Our Cruyff, his influence and intelligence on the pitch is undeniable. 

Imagine Rudi and Naisy in their pomp in the same team ??

1 hour ago, Doc Rob said:

I am seriously concerned that he is actually doing too well, and either Celtic or Sevco will try to secure him on a pre-contract in January. Possibly even with the intention of playing him, though more likely just to stop him playing for us.

I still need to pinch myself that he is actually at Tynecastle - a brilliant acquisition. Be delighted for him to stay but would just settle for him being here, making an impact, right to th end of the season. Doesn't strike me either as someone to switch off if interest came from the bloodsuckers of Govan

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

I still need to pinch myself that he is actually at Tynecastle - a brilliant acquisition. Be delighted for him to stay but would just settle for him being here, making an impact, right to th end of the season. Doesn't strike me either as someone to switch off if interest came from the bloodsuckers of Govan

Absolute masterstroke. As I said back in September. Dragging others up levels individually and collectively 

14 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

He is staying in Scotland . He is also aware of the impact playing for the of has on kids growing up - it's awful for them . We should be fine

7 minutes ago, JyTees said:

Get the guy his own song. One Steven Naismith is a bit shit.

He got the "Steven Naismith is a ****ing goal machine" treatment last night. Works well, and it's a good song now that Rudi's no longer with us.

Just now, JamboJen said:

He got the "Steven Naismith is a ****ing goal machine" treatment last night. Works well, and it's a good song now that Rudi's no longer with us.

Yeh, I heard it. Not unique enough for this guy. He deserves something very special.

Maiden Gorgie

He is an intelligent, level-headed guy. He is a multi-millionaire. He does not need Rangers nor Celtics money. He is also having the time of his life, he'll finish his career at Tynecastle.

Just a hunch

Edited by Maiden Gorgie

3 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Here’s my thinking.  If Souttar hadn’t got injured, I think we’d have sold him and tried to secure Naismith and Dunne on a permanent deal.

How much were you expecting us to pay Burnley for Dunne? You'd probably be adding a zero onto our record transfer fee.

7 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

How much were you expecting us to pay Burnley for Dunne? You'd probably be adding a zero onto our record transfer fee.

Not as much as you might think (that said I’m not fully aware of his contract situation) as this is the highest level he’s played at in the first team.  Look at Mitchell.  Levein said that a big part of the negotiation over the summer was deciding whether we wanted we could get him on loan or permanently.  I don’t think it’s impossible to imagine us paying a decent wedge for a player of Dunne’s ability if we see him being core to maintaining a winning formula.  Other than Chris Hamilton, we could be years off developing a talent like this.  Everything about the lad tells me he could be a natural successor to Berra.  Fact is, I reckon we’d sell Souttar for a higher sum than we’d pay for Dunne.

Wonder how reflective Deeks and Gaza are when they watch what he's doing at his age.

Somewhat introspective I would think.

Love the guy. Been a great signing and hopefully we can keep him longer. Shaved my head last night so I look like him.....look more like Connor Sammon though... fecksake!?

I was told by an Everton fan while Naisy was there he paid for tickets  for the homeless and kids living in poverty to attend the games at Goodison.

1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Not as much as you might think (that said I’m not fully aware of his contract situation) as this is the highest level he’s played at in the first team.  Look at Mitchell.  Levein said that a big part of the negotiation over the summer was deciding whether we wanted we could get him on loan or permanently.  I don’t think it’s impossible to imagine us paying a decent wedge for a player of Dunne’s ability if we see him being core to maintaining a winning formula.  Other than Chris Hamilton, we could be years off developing a talent like this.  Everything about the lad tells me he could be a natural successor to Berra.  Fact is, I reckon we’d sell Souttar for a higher sum than we’d pay for Dunne.

Not a chance. 

1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Levein said that if he could have signed players like Mitchell on permanent deals then he would have. At no point were we anywhere close to signing Mitchell permanently. He won’t make it at Man U and will probably be an English Championship level player. Dunne on the other hand, I believe, has a great chance to make it at Burnley after a few more loan spells. He’s only 20 years old so has ages to develop and improve. To suggest that Hearts could buy a top young prospect from an English Premier League team is mental. Look at James Maddison, Aberdeen on loan, back to Norwich and then signed by Leicester and and now in the England squad. Dunne will be a full ROI international soon and will have a top career, quite similar to that of Berra or Hughes.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

There’s been instances of fans setting up debit funds to secure players, when the club has struggled to stump it up. 

I would do this for Naisy if we find at some point he’s considering elsewhere due to cash and we’re not quite where he needs to be.

Money happily spent and I certainly ain’t rich.

The ball's really in Naisy's court. If he goes somewhere else at the end of the season then hopefully he leaves a legacy for the younger players. 

Craig Beattie played 9 games for us and scored 3 goals and had one celebration - he'll always be remembered fondly for that.  Steven Naismith has played 24 games and scored 11.

On another note, Naismith has played 224 games in Scotland scoring 68 goals, and has 49 caps scoring 9 times.

Gazza played 74 times for Rangers scoring 30 goals - he also punched F out his Mrs and is an alcoholic.  HALL OF FAME???  F OFF.

A_A wehatethehibs

Ultimately if Naismith wants to go to Rangers or even Celtic then he probably will end up there. 

He seems happy here at Hearts though and a sensible guy, he’ll make the right decision for his career. 

6 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Wonder how reflective Deeks and Gaza are when they watch what he's doing at his age.

Somewhat introspective I would think.

I doubt they have the faculties to do introspection, it will undoubtedly have been other peoples fault...

Jack Torrance

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/steven-naismith-reveals-his-thoughts-on-permanent-hearts-move-1-4820589

Steven Naismth is a key man for Hearts as they try to topple Celtic and reach the final of the Betfred Cup tomorrow. Pic: SNS

Steven Naismth is a key man for Hearts as they try to topple Celtic and reach the final

Steven Naismith rejoined Hearts on loan from Norwich City hoping to reacquaint himself with title challenges and critical cup ties like tomorrow’s Betfred Cup semi-final against Celtic.

Now they are a reality, the Scotland internationalist is not ruling out signing a pre-contract agreement to stay longer at Tynecastle Park.

HHis Norwich contract expires at the end of the season concurrent with his loan, leaving Naismith free to talk to other clubs as of January. His salary in England is far beyond the reach of any Scottish club but Hearts will likely still be first in the queue with a pen and the best deal they can offer when the striker ponders his future.

Other clubs will have noted his renaissance back in Scotland. At 32, he is back in the national team having scored 13 goals in 19 games for club and country to date this season and is idolised by supporters despite being a mere loanee.

He is also captaining Hearts with Christophe Berra and his deputy John Souttar out through injury. Being so highly thought of by coaching staff and fans could well sway him to remain in Edinburgh beyond next summer, although the player remained non-committal when the subject was broached.

“In the last week or so it’s been more brought up but I’ve not thought about anything, even the fact that I’ll be on a free transfer in the summer,” explained Naismith. “I’ve loved the start of the season. I wouldn’t rule it out at all. But I also know that this season, for me, is about my football – about playing and playing and playing.

“I’m not going to start doing things that will upset that one way or the other, whether that be with Hearts or whatever. Hearts have been great to me in the past year, 18 months come the end of the season. So that’s something that I do appreciate. Journalists having been bringing my future up more. I’ve been playing well and not thinking about it.

“When you are on loan, you just think: ‘Right, I’m on loan, enjoy.’ There is an end point to that loan. My situation is slightly different in that I’ll be out of contract, but I think everybody that’s been involved in this loan is happy.”

He knows returning to Norwich is not an option. “I don’t think so. As a club, they’ve moved on – and they’re flying as well, which is good to see. There has been a big change there. I am, unfortunately, part of the past there.”

Naismith spent the second half of last season on loan at Hearts and returned in a year-long agreement in the summer as part of a structural overhaul of the squad by manager Craig Levein.

The forward is now a pivotal figure in a team six points clear at the top of the league and aiming for a cup final place. “It has been a while since I’ve been in a semi-final so that alone brings its excitement. As you get older you manage to enjoy and saviour the situations more, at least I do. When you’re younger it’s a bit of blur when you think back, whereas now I definitely enjoy things more. There are certain things that stick out. I scored a hat-trick for Kilmarnock against Falkirk in the semi-final. I got a bad injury in one of them and also won a couple as well.

“It’s a great occasion, fans turning out in numbers, us being on top form and Celtic a top team in the league. It’s a recipe for a great afternoon.”

Even more so since the Scottish Professional Football League relented and moved this tie from Hampden Park to BT Murrayfield. Around 30,000 Celtic fans and an equal number of Hearts supporters will shuffle into their seats at the home of Scottish Rugby to watch one of the most prestigious football matches ever staged in the Capital.

“It’s a very big moment if you look at Hearts’ recent history,” Naismith pointed out. “They’ve been through so much stuff over the last four to five years and now have this aura of calmness, time to make right decisions – to build things and not just plaster over the cracks – if you like. 

“There’s more foundations being put down and huge credit goes to the fans, but Ann Budge and the gaffer inside the club are the ones that have definitely driven that.”

The next, perhaps most difficult, step is lifting silverware.

“That is the next level, winning something. The manager has built a squad that has a lot of hunger in it,” said Naismith. “From last season to this year, it’s about being top of the league and challenging, getting to semi-finals, finals. That is the next stage.

“We’ve had a lot of moments this season that could have gone one way or the other with the squad. First of all, Christophe Berra getting injured, then we have John Souttar and Uche Ikpeazu getting injured, our first defeat at Ibrox and then having an international break and it lingers. [People ask] how are they going to be? But we’ve rattled out two good performances, scored some goals and won well. We’ve jumped these hurdles every time and this is just the next one.”

Beating Aberdeen 2-1 and Dundee 3-0 in the two games since international fortnight sets Hearts up well for tomorrow’s encounter. Their squad, collectively and individually, have so much to play for.

“That air of confidence has been built from pre-season right through until now,” continued Naismith. “That comes from having a group of older, experienced players who understand these situations.

“Also the majority of young players here aren’t fazed by anything. They just go about their business from week to week and are hungry to get better and in some ways they want to move on.

“They all have their own agenda. Jimmy Dunne’s next step is to do it here and then show that he can play for the Burnley first team. Demi Mitchell is the same with Manchester United.

“Callumn Morrison is desperate to do well at Hearts and become a regular and then hopefully get in the national team. The boys who have come from Australia want to make it in Europe so Hearts is a good place for them to be.

“All these things make up why there is a good team ethic here. The players haven’t once said: ‘This is a big semi-final’. It’s just the next game for us. For me and all the experience that I have had in football, that is a better way to be than building up a big semi-final.

“There are no prizes at stake for winning a semi-final.”

Edited by Jack Torrance

Dr Ian Malcolm

Not sure Dunne is a "top prospect" tbh. He's been excellent for us but hasn't featured all that much for Burnley.

English clubs can afford punt them out on loan and see how they do. The really good ones tend to have been more involved by Dunne's age. If they don't measure up then the inflated market means they'll still get a decent return.

And are the suggestions of Celtic wanting Naismith/him going there serious? Only slightly more likely than Lafferty.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Positive vibs from Steven about staying on. See STV sports. Nothing concrete but sounds positive. I do hope we can keep him.

1 hour ago, Dannie Boy said:

Positive vibs from Steven about staying on. See STV sports. Nothing concrete but sounds positive. I do hope we can keep him.

Was pretty encouraging. Would be a massive signing for us

1 minute ago, Zoom said:

Link

The STV link on the web site is a shortened version of the news bulletin or I would have copied it.  It only concentrates on Stevens National team ambitions.

chester copperpot

From what I am hearing he will need to turn down a whole hoard of better offers to stay with us.

I soooooooo hope he does. I don't know what he is thinking but know for a fact there's better offers for him.

Probably goes without saying for Scotland's best attacking player by a mile!

1 minute ago, chester copperpot said:

From what I am hearing he will need to turn down a whole hoard of better offers to stay with us.

I soooooooo hope he does. I don't know what he is thinking but know for a fact there's better offers for him.

Probably goes without saying for Scotland's best attacking player by a mile!

Do you know if he has any offer from another Scottish team?

chester copperpot
1 minute ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Do you know if he has any offer from another Scottish team?

Yes. Defo one. Have shared it with a few folk a few months ago but from what I hear (Just rumours though as don't know anyone else in the other club) that it's 2 clubs. One down south wants to get him too and has cash to splash. If he wants to stay well paid then it won't be us put it that way.

4 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Yes. Defo one. Have shared it with a few folk a few months ago but from what I hear (Just rumours though as don't know anyone else in the other club) that it's 2 clubs. One down south wants to get him too and has cash to splash. If he wants to stay well paid then it won't be us put it that way.

I think it's more about lifestyle, experiences and kickstarting a coaching career for Naismith now. I think the first and last make us the front runner but the middle one is the worrying one if he fancies the MLS, one last season in the EPL or something more unusual for a season. I'd be shocked if he went back to Rangers or another Scottish club.