Stanley Matthews, Hearts, and Jimmy McIlroy.

upgotheheads

upgotheheads

I've just been reading an obituary on Jimmy McIlroy, who died recently. He was at Stoke City with Stanley Matthews when Hearts played a testimonial game on Monday 19th October 1964 against them.

I was at that game and have been trying to find a Stoke teamsheet for the game, without success, to see if Jimmy McIlroy played.

I've been googling but can't find a Stoke transgender, although London Hearts gives the Hearts team.

Any help gratefully received.

...a bit disco
1 minute ago, mutley said:

Stoke transgender?

:lol:

This.

Is that you Brendan Rodgers? 

When you find one I hope the "grass" is cut/trimmed to your liking.

Edited by AlimOzturk

Just now, upgotheheads said:

I've just been reading an obituary on Jimmy McIlroy, who died recently. He was at Stoke City with Stanley Matthews when Hearts played a testimonial game on Monday 19th October 1964 against them.

I was at that game and have been trying to find a Stoke teamsheet for the game, without success, to see if Jimmy McIlroy played.

I've been googling but can't find a Stoke transgender, although London Hearts gives the Hearts team.

Tha almanac that is London Hearts should do the trick

upgotheheads

F*****g predictive text.

For transgender read teamsheet.

Anyway, can anybody help with a Stoke teamsheet

Edited by upgotheheads

I was there but can't remember who played for Hearts never mind Stoke. Do remember Stanley Mathews though - must have been well into his 40s

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

F*****g predictive text.

Transgender isn't in my predictive text, which would suggest it's one that's been added through use in the op's case... 

Edited by Smithee

upgotheheads
5 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

Tha almanac that is London Hearts should do the trick

I've been able to find the Hearts team there but not the Stoke team. I was hoping somebody might have a programme from the game.

Incidentally I watched that same team a few months later lose the championship on goal average against Killie. One of the most tragic footballing occasions in our history and seared on my memory.

My first game.  My father took me to see Stanley Matthews.  I got Roy Barry’s autograph on the programme.

if I am correct Jimmy McIlroy played as did Dennis Violet.

upgotheheads
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Transgender isn't in my predictive text, which would suggest it's one that's been added through use in the op's case... 

What's in yours?

Tosser maybe?

upgotheheads
8 minutes ago, davieholt said:

I was there but can't remember who played for Hearts never mind Stoke. Do remember Stanley Mathews though - must have been well into his 40s

2 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

My first game.  My father took me to see Stanley Matthews.  I got Roy Barry’s autograph on the programme.

Thanks.

I think Stanley Matthews was 49.

6 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I've been able to find the Hearts team there but not the Stoke team. I was hoping somebody might have a programme from the game.

Incidentally I watched that same team a few months later lose the championship on goal average against Killie. One of the most tragic footballing occasions in our history and seared on my memory.

Programme on sale Ebay

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hearts-v-Stoke-City-Oct-1964-friendly/142917186616?hash=item2146873438:g:TywAAOSwveRbgmdu&_trkparms=gclientid%3DXQEK0sWg6-FUSlGjz5GaZ9C1hYa0jR9HZN_tOEHMLzF6xMf7RCM4sLB8pHYTMR8m&_trksid=p2489528.m4335.l8656

upgotheheads

Big Slim Stylee
6 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

What's in yours?

Tosser maybe?

Calm down mate. We've all made a few boobs in our time.

3 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I might have to buy that now. Pity I can't turn the pages in the photo

Maybe u could email the seller and ask him to have a look for u?

Goals were scored by Wallace for us and Viollet and Ritchie for them - according to London Hearts. Matthews is also mentioned there so that gives 3 players. Not much for McIlroy, admittedly.

48 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Take your pick...

image.thumb.png.304ed95922b8e1f988f5a31fcf6bb966.png

41 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

F*****g predictive text.

Not me.

I know guy in Stoke though...

At the weekends he’s known as Victoria Ground.  She’s lovely.

Stanley Matthews was 52 when that game was played.  Touched the ball twice in the first half.......from which Violet and Ritchie scored.  He was playing, as always, on the right wing and got a great reception from the fans in the old North Enclosure as he dribbled towards the school end before swinging in two inch perfect crosses.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

Dennis Violet sounds a bit trans. Sorry ?

WorldChampions1902

The programme doesn't necessarily confirm that JM actually played. But this post-match report does.

IMG_7492.PNG

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

F*****g predictive text.

What the hell was it predicting!! :laugh:

3 hours ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Calm down mate. We've all made a few boobs in our time.

I never made any boobs Slim.  How do you do that?

4 hours ago, davieholt said:

Ironically enough....................... this guy did ?

Stan.jpg

Edited by Busby8

upgotheheads
32 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Sir Stanley Matthews in the dressing room at Tynecastle with Tommy Walker and the Hearts team - 

Stanley Matthews in Hearts dressing room with Tommy Walker.jpg

1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

The programme doesn't necessarily confirm that JM actually played. But this post-match report does.

IMG_7492.PNG

1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Here ye go.........

IMG_7490.JPG

2 hours ago, jambali said:

Says he has the programme

3 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

Stanley Matthews was 52 when that game was played.  Touched the ball twice in the first half.......from which Violet and Ritchie scored.  He was playing, as always, on the right wing and got a great reception from the fans in the old North Enclosure as he dribbled towards the school end before swinging in two inch perfect crosses.

Thanks to all. In spite of predictive text getting me into bother!

Some of the under 40's on here should remember that they'll be an old git struggling to keep up with the latest computer technology themselves one day, and sooner than they think.

This game, and the season which followed, was one that I remember vividly. I was 15 years old at the time, The Beatles were in full swing, I'd been following Hearts on my own for about 4 years by this point after my old man stopped going after he lost interest after the glory years.

That season ended with the worst experience of my football life, the loss to Kilmarnock 0-2 which cost us the league. Worse even than 86 and the relegations.

Anyway, I got the answers I was looking for.

I've read this through and can't fund any mistaken.

WorldChampions1902
58 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Some of the under 40's on here should remember that they'll be an old git struggling to keep up with the latest computer technology themselves one day, and sooner than they think.

This game, and the season which followed, was one that I remember vividly. I was 15 years old at the time, The Beatles were in full swing, I'd been following Hearts on my own for about 4 years by this point after my old man stopped going after he lost interest after the glory years.

That season ended with the worst experience of my football life, the loss to Kilmarnock 0-2 which cost us the league. Worse even than 86 and the relegations.

I'm not much younger than you and I very much share your sentiments. The great thing about this messageboard is that despite the negativity that prevails at times, there is always somebody to help you out.

That probably makes you the same age as me UGTH.  Yes, that 1965 loss was MUCH worse than 1986.

Funnily enough, I was watching the Man. Utd. v Spurs game today with the amazing number of foot injuries.  I don't ever remember guys like Stanley Matthews or Willie Bauld ever having these problems.  I guess it's the slippers they wear nowadays?

11 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Thats to EVERYONE on this thread for a fantastic start to my day. Great to hear the 60's crew reliving memories - and the cheeky scamps picking up on the (hilarious) blooper. Good on UGTH for taking it on the chin. Mathews looks older than Tommy Walker in that photo. Bring back the club blazer I say .... 

• 3 years later...
queensferryjambo
On 27/08/2018 at 17:44, WorldChampions1902 said:

Here ye go.........

IMG_7490.JPG

Loving the 'Have Gun Will Travel ! HOW ABOUT YOU? Are you aged between 15 to 25 years?' advert.

Presuming this was an advert recruiting for an elite crack team of mercenaries.