Stanley Matthews, Hearts, and Jimmy McIlroy.

upgotheheads

PortyBeach
On 27/08/2018 at 20:01, upgotheheads said:

Thanks to all. In spite of predictive text getting me into bother!

Some of the under 40's on here should remember that they'll be an old git struggling to keep up with the latest computer technology themselves one day, and sooner than they think.

This game, and the season which followed, was one that I remember vividly. I was 15 years old at the time, The Beatles were in full swing, I'd been following Hearts on my own for about 4 years by this point after my old man stopped going after he lost interest after the glory years.

That season ended with the worst experience of my football life, the loss to Kilmarnock 0-2 which cost us the league. Worse even than 86 and the relegations.

Anyway, I got the answers I was looking for.

I've read this through and can't fund any mistaken.

You’re right about that Killie game. How we blew the title that year beggars belief and still hurts.

I think there are still a few stories about what went on behind the scenes that still haven’t been disclosed.

The fact that the club was subsequently allowed to go into a spiral of decline for nearly 20 years says a lot about those in charge at Tynecastle at that time.

PortyBeach
14 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Loving the 'Have Gun Will Travel ! HOW ABOUT YOU? Are you aged between 15 to 25 years?' advert.

Presuming this was an advert recruiting for an elite crack team of mercenaries. 

I think the title “Have gun, will travel” was taken from a TV series about a cowboy

“gun for hire”. 
So, God knows what the advert was about - maybe your suggestion is correct!!

24 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

I think the title “Have gun, will travel” was taken from a TV series about a cowboy

“gun for hire”. 
So, God knows what the advert was about - maybe your suggestion is correct!!

Another aulder guy here, that " have gun will travel" was the motto of Paladin played by Richard Boone. It's amazing the fact that I recalled that when all too often, I can go into another room in the house, and forget why I did.

PortyBeach
41 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Another aulder guy here, that " have gun will travel" was the motto of Paladin played by Richard Boone. It's amazing the fact that I recalled that when all too often, I can go into another room in the house, and forget why I did.

😆

Fort Vallance
2 hours ago, argyjambo said:

Was Paladin not the genie thing in Glenn Michael's Cavalcade ? Right I'm away into the kitchen for a pee.

Nookie Bear
6 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Was Paladin not the genie thing in Glenn Michael's Cavalcade ? Right I'm away into the kitchen for a pee.

That was my first thought.

And i just checked, Glen Michael is still going at the age of 96 👍

john thomas
2 hours ago, argyjambo said:

Do you ever find yourself on the stair wondering if you're going up or down ?

1 hour ago, john thomas said:

Do you ever find yourself on the stair wondering if you're going up or down ?

Never! But if you do, then you have my sympathy.😁

john thomas
27 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Never! But if you do, then you have my sympathy.😁

It's coming to us all !

upgotheheads
9 hours ago, argyjambo said:

"Have gun will travel reads the card of a man, 

A fast gun for hire is the man called Paladin."

Were some of the lines, I can still  hum the tune. It was big at the time. I always thought Lee Van Cleefe played the part, but you're probably right

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

"Have gun will travel reads the card of a man, 

A fast gun for hire is the man called Paladin."

Were some of the lines, I can still  hum the tune. It was big at the time. I always thought Lee Van Cleefe played the part, but you're probably right

If you're ever seen the film Stand By Me the boys sing those lines at one point.