UEFA Nations League. ( merged )

maroonlegions

N Lincs Jambo

Can’t believe the commentators and pundits on the England game. De Gea’s feet 3 foot off the ground when Wellbeck barges into him. That’s a foul all day long. What the **** the English are whinging about is beyond me. Having said that I’ve lived here 29 years and it actually isn’t.

What really pisses me of is that if this was a club game they would have called it for what it was.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• neilnunb

• Morgan

• Brighton Jambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, By the light said:

Shock horror. England come up against something resembling a football team and fall short again.

Agree with others about Harry Kane. Brilliant striker.

From what I saw England can be quite proud, nice goal and looks like they played well. Spain look fantastic and I think this may be a new golden era for them, alot of guys hitting their peak in that team (Saul, Rodrigo, Isco) and I think Enrique as coach was a slick move (very attacking minded but organised too)

3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

lol, but they did, wish us scots could fluke a way to getting to a final stage  ok i mind world cups 82, 86 90

Did ye nae mind France 1998?

7 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

From what I saw England can be quite proud, nice goal and looks like they played well. Spain look fantastic and I think this may be a new golden era for them, alot of guys hitting their peak in that team (Saul, Rodrigo, Isco) and I think Enrique as coach was a slick move (very attacking minded but organised too)

So glorious failure again. Very Hibs. 

10 hours ago, geomac said:

He is indeed, and when you add the best keeper, best centre half, and attacking midfielder, plus  world's best left back it is just crazy they didn't win the world cup

That's satire, yeah? 

It’s a shambles of a format.  A long way round to trying to help smaller teams progress to the finals, where they will be duly humiliated and made to make their average opponents look like world beaters.

Call me old fashioned, but I want the best 24 teams in Europe at this tournament.  If Scotland aren’t amongst the 24 best nations, we don’t deserve to be there.  Do the seedings make this difficult, yes, but we made our bed and need to lie in it.  Iceland, Hungary, Latvia etc have managed it in recent years by doing it the hard way, so should we.

I like the Nations League as an idea, cuts down on the brainless 'friendlies' (i.e. Scotland/Belgium) and teams play games they actually stand a chance in instead. Faroes v Malta, Liechtenstein v Gibraltar etc. 

Potential Qualification is is an added 'bonus' but even as a standalone replacement for friendly games it's better.

Edited by Ibrahim Tall

Shanks said no
33 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Are Denmark still embroiled in an image dispute and playing amateurs against wales? 

understand the dispute has been settled

The hosts welcome back the entire squad after a dispute with the Danish Football Association (DBU) saw them all miss Wednesday's defeat to Slovakia.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

3 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

It’s a shambles of a format.  A long way round to trying to help smaller teams progress to the finals, where they will be duly humiliated and made to make their average opponents look like world beaters.

Call me old fashioned, but I want the best 24 teams in Europe at this tournament.  If Scotland aren’t amongst the 24 best nations, we don’t deserve to be there.  Do the seedings make this difficult, yes, but we made our bed and need to lie in it.  Iceland, Hungary, Latvia etc have managed it in recent years by doing it the hard way, so should we.

Couldn,t agree more, The way things are going we will soon have wild card selections and other back door opportunities which only serves to gloss over inadequacies.  As you rightly say you are either good enough or you are not.

5 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

The format is actually designed to ensure countries like Italy and Holland don’t fail to qualify like they did for the World Cup. The vast majority of the top countries will qualify as one of the 20 automatic qualifiers (2 from each of the 10 groups with no play offs) during the Euro 2020 qualifying next year. There is then a safety net allowing any of the big guns who finish 3rd to be into a weak play off scenario through their Natons League play off group as most of the big countries won’t have to pay in that having already qualified automatically. A couple of smaller countries will make it but there is no host nation qualification for 2020 so it’s negated by that. As always the biggest drive behind this is financial and ensuring all the big nations make it! 

Edited by magicTs

France massively on top. Ball has hardly been outside Dutch half. Constant pressure. 

1-0 Mbappe 

Edited by Mikey1874

3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Jesus Christ. What a goal to giveaway.

Dutch are all over the place

Perhaps just don't have the defensive mentality 

9 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

I like the Nations League as an idea, cuts down on the brainless 'friendlies' (i.e. Scotland/Belgium) and teams play games they actually stand a chance in instead. Faroes v Malta, Liechtenstein v Gibraltar etc. 

Potential Qualification is is an added 'bonus' but even as a standalone replacement for friendly games it's better.

Except that there is now less room for friendlies with non-UEFA countries. We're becoming a huge closed shop.

10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Except that there is now less room for friendlies with non-UEFA countries. We're becoming a huge closed shop.

Germany v Peru tonight

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Germany v Peru tonight

Touché, sir! :) Obviously there's still some room, but if we're being forced to play games against European opposition, that obviously allows less flexibility and date availability to organise games against non-European opposition. Which to my mind is a shame.

Holland have a core of something decent with Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Depay and their goalkeeper. But there’s some utter dross around them.

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Touché, sir! :) Obviously there's still some room, but if we're being forced to play games against European opposition, that obviously allows less flexibility and date availability to organise games against non-European opposition. Which to my mind is a shame.

Where there's a will.

Agree re away games but most other continents' teams play regular friendlies in Europe including at neutral venues. Brazil obviously but many others too. 

The SFA have picked Belguim and Portugal for financial gain when they could have invited any other country in the world maybe subsidising them to come. Scotland is still a big draw. 

Edited by Mikey1874

France now have the confidence from winning the World Cup. They could dominate for a few years maybe do what Spain did. Though Hollland might be on Scotland's level. 

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

France now have the confidence from winning the World Cup. They could dominate for a few years maybe do what Spain did. Though Hollland might be on Scotland's level. 

:rofl: 

The Dutch are just going through a period where the old guys like Robben, Sneijder etc are retiring and the young guys are coming through again. Difference between them and us is they will continually produce World Class players, where as we’re lucky if we get one every 20-30 years. :laugh: Italy are in the same boat. Only France, Spain and Germany seem to constantly have an immense pool to choose from. 

Edited by Cruyff Turn

One aspect of the Nation's League perhaps not discussed so much yet is promotion and relegation. 

Holland favourites for relegation so Scotland have incentive to win group to get promoted to second tier to play these teams. England could go down too. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/uefa-nations-league-explained-fixtures-groups-format-predictions-tv-a3926776.html%3famp

5 hours ago, magicTs said:

The format is actually designed to ensure countries like Italy and Holland don’t fail to qualify like they did for the World Cup. The vast majority of the top countries will qualify as one of the 20 automatic qualifiers (2 from each of the 10 groups with no play offs) during the Euro 2020 qualifying next year. There is then a safety net allowing any of the big guns who finish 3rd to be into a weak play off scenario through their Natons League play off group as most of the big countries won’t have to pay in that having already qualified automatically. A couple of smaller countries will make it but there is no host nation qualification for 2020 so it’s negated by that. As always the biggest drive behind this is financial and ensuring all the big nations make it! 

What happens if all 12 of the nations in pot A qualify automatically?  Will the 'extra' place for the pot A winners be handed down to pot B, so effectively 2 teams from pot B could qualify via the Nations Cup route?

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Aye, I will miss pointless games like Scotland v Qatar or trips around the world with a B team to be embarrassed by Peru.

48 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Aye, I will miss pointless games like Scotland v Qatar or trips around the world with a B team to be embarrassed by Peru.

Not as much as the blazers will miss their wee jaunts to exotic foreign locations, travelling first class and staying in 5 star hotels.  Can't imagine they will be too excited about a trip to Albania!

21 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Not as much as the blazers will miss their wee jaunts to exotic foreign locations, travelling first class and staying in 5 star hotels.  Can't imagine they will be too excited about a trip to Albania!

Just wait till we get relegated to Tier 4

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just wait till we get relegated to Tier 4

I hear that Kosovo is lovely at this time of year, and Gibraltar has so much to offer.  As for the Faroe Islands, well the view of the Northern Lights is spectacular!

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

One aspect of the Nation's League perhaps not discussed so much yet is promotion and relegation. 

Also teams standings in the Nations League will be used to decide seedlings for the Euro qualifiers rather than rankings that people hate. I'd much rather watch us play a competitive match against Albania than a friendly against Mexico.

As for the additional places for Euro qualification, I don't think it is a given that the team that comes through even from tier 4, will be a 'minnow' as we'd normally think of it. The real qualifiers hardly guarantee the 'best' teams going through either with luck of the draw having a significant impact.

39 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Also teams standings in the Nations League will be used to decide seedlings for the Euro qualifiers rather than rankings that people hate. I'd much rather watch us play a competitive match against Albania than a friendly against Mexico.

As for the additional places for Euro qualification, I don't think it is a given that the team that comes through even from tier 4, will be a 'minnow' as we'd normally think of it. The real qualifiers hardly guarantee the 'best' teams going through either with luck of the draw having a significant impact.

You are probably right, while tier 4 contains all of the real minnows, the better teams in that tier would be capable of achieving a tier 3 ranking given a decent run of form.  Macedonia and Georgia have both started with 2 wins from 2 in their groups.  While they are not big footballing nations, they aren't really minnows in the same way as Andorra, San Marino, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar, Faroes etc.

3 hours ago, RobNox said:

Tirana has its plus points just be very careful who you speak to as their local mafia rules the roost.

18 hours ago, RobNox said:

What happens if all 12 of the nations in pot A qualify automatically?  Will the 'extra' place for the pot A winners be handed down to pot B, so effectively 2 teams from pot B could qualify via the Nations Cup route?

Yes that’s my understanding. 

17 hours ago, RobNox said:

I hear that Kosovo is lovely at this time of year, and Gibraltar has so much to offer.  As for the Faroe Islands, well the view of the Northern Lights is spectacular!

You've obviously never been to Kosovo. :)

14 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Tirana has its plus points just be very careful who you speak to as their local mafia rules the roost.

They tend to steer clear of tourists. However, never cross an Albanian in business or some other "handshake" contract - in general they don't take too kindly to that.

NaturalOrder74

Yeah I’d probably play a 4/4/2 as well think it plays to our strengths, not scored in any of the friendlies though hopefully we show some spark tonight, can’t help but smell a goal less draw 

3 hours ago, ...a bit disco said:

Here's the team the fans picked for tonight.

_103365715_scotlandteamselector_graphic.

Looks better than the actual team. Big Eck trying to show he is down with the youngblood managers by playing a modern formation.