UEFA Nations League. ( merged )

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Kicks of in September. Looking forward to it.

Germany and France will kick off the inaugural UEFA Nations League on Thursday 6 September after the League Phase fixture list was confirmed for the autumn matches.

Matchday one;

Thursday 6 September;

League A;

Group A1: Germany v France (20:45)

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• neilnunb

• Morgan

• Brighton Jambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jamboinglasgow
Just now, HamishMcGonagall said:

Still don't understand it!... What happens if we win our group?

We get promoted to the 2nd tier for the next time.

We also go into a play off with the 3 other group winners of the 3rd tier. The winner of the play-off gets a place in Euro 2020.

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

We also go into a play off with the 3 other group winners of the 3rd tier. The winner of the play-off gets a place in Euro 2020.

Does that then mean there is no qualifying tournament? Or is there still Euro qualifying for the non group winners ?

will-i-am-a-jambo
2 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Does that then mean there is no qualifying tournament? Or is there still Euro qualifying for the non group winners ?

Think there is still the Euro qualifiers. The draw is made in December this year lm led to believe.

HamishMcGonagall
6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Ah right, thanks ?

2 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Think there is still the Euro qualifiers. The draw is made in December this year lm led to believe.

So if Scotland win the play off do they then get a "bye" so to speak.

will-i-am-a-jambo
Just now, whodanny said:

So if Scotland win the play off do they then get a "bye" so to speak.

Good point well made, l know not the answer to that! I guess that's why the draw is in December - lm assuming after the Nations League - just a theory!

Just now, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Good point well made, l know not the answer to that! I guess that's why the draw is in December - lm assuming after the Nations League - just a theory!

Yeah, sounds like that.

I could be wrong but I think the Nations League Playoffs are held relatively close to Euro 2020, if a team has already qualified through the actual qualifying tournament then their Nations League playoff place goes to the next team in their league who haven't yet qualified. 

Edited by Jamboross

will-i-am-a-jambo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42719404

Here's a link to explain it (l hope lm not good at technology). I still can't really work it out but l think all nations will still go through the Euro qualifiers process and the Nations League is just an extra way of qualifying. That's my interpretation of it anyway!

ps l think they use the Nation League results to seed the teams for the Euros.

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

I could be wrong but I think the Nations League Playoffs are held relatively close to Euro 2020, if a team has already qualified through the actual qualifying tournament then their Nations League playoff place goes to the next team in their NL group who haven't yet qualified. 

Correct. The play-offs happen in March 2020. 

Basically to (in part) to replace friendlies.

And blazers like big events. More big games to attend.

FIFA might be doing same sort of competition. 

michael_bolton

I think this will be great. Really looking forward to it.

Much better than friendlies, and of far more benefit to have teams playing other teams of a similar level. There's no point in big glamour friendlies in terms of improving our team, and there's no point in playing real minnows either. These games are just what we need. I think the whole competition is a good idea.

It's also not as complicated as people make out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Nations_League

I'm really looking forward to the lowest leagues. I think it's a good thing for football to give the minnows competitive games against each other instead of just backs to the walls all the time.

The international equivalent of the Intertoto Cup. A load of pish in my opinion. It will also reduce the number of friendlies that European countries play with non-European countries.

UEFA muscling in and taking over even more aspects of domestic and international football. That's the way it goes now.

Riddley Walker
1 hour ago, michael_bolton said:

I think this will be great. Really looking forward to it.

Much better than friendlies, and of far more benefit to have teams playing other teams of a similar level. There's no point in big glamour friendlies in terms of improving our team, and there's no point in playing real minnows either. These games are just what we need. I think the whole competition is a good idea.

It's also not as complicated as people make out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Nations_League

I'm really looking forward to the lowest leagues. I think it's a good thing for football to give the minnows competitive games against each other instead of just backs to the walls all the time.

Agree with all of this.

From a Scottish perspective it's an excellent extra chance to qualify.

57 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The international equivalent of the Intertoto Cup. A load of pish in my opinion. It will also reduce the number of friendlies that European countries play with non-European countries.

UEFA muscling in and taking over even more aspects of domestic and international football. That's the way it goes now.

I've my tickets for Belgium, Albania, Portugal and Israel. Happy days!!! 

• 2 weeks later...
chester copperpot

A wee thread for anyone wanting to discuss the upcoming nations league games.

Tbh I am totally clueless about it despite trying to decipher the website about it.......

Anyway England 1 - Spain 2.

Half decent game so far.

I like the format of the Nations League itself and think it's better than playing meaningless friendlies.

I'm not so convinced about the 4 Euro places for the winners of each pot, as it basically guarantees that one of the minnows will make it to the Finals.  There is potential for countries to try and exploit this by deliberately dropping into a lower pot to improve their chance of qualifying via the backdoor.

...a bit disco
On 25/08/2018 at 15:22, ri Alban said:

I've my tickets for Belgium, Albania, Portugal and Israel. Happy days!!! 

Would you care to revisit that comment?

:hartley:

...a bit disco

2 threads for the InterToto Cup of International football is a bit much likes.

chester copperpot
14 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

2 threads for the InterToto Cup of International football is a bit much likes.

Och I Did try to find the other one

53 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

A wee thread for anyone wanting to discuss the upcoming nations league games.

Tbh I am totally clueless about it despite trying to decipher the website about it.......

Anyway England 1 - Spain 2.

Half decent game so far.

WE need to win the group mate , cant see that being that hard, 

5 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

It's a travesty that England fluked their way to a WC semi.  They are garbage.  

lol, but they did, wish us scots could fluke a way to getting to a final stage  ok i mind world cups 82, 86 90

Just now, ToadKiller Dog said:

Soft decision by the ref, harsh on engerland. But was a very slight push 

Not sure. Welbeck does everything to avoid fouling De Gea. Seemed harsh.

William H. Bonney
13 minutes ago, benny said:

Somehow Kane manages to get a full game again despite being rotten.

You couldn't not play him. He's one of the best strikers in the world. 

William H. Bonney
Just now, RudiHMFC said:

Is he though? 

Granted I don't watch much football outside of Scottish football but from what I've seen, he looks class. 

9 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Is he though? 

If you use the EPL as a gauge then yes he is. Not out of the top 2 scorers in the last 4 seasons scoring more in each successive season. 

17 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If you use the EPL as a gauge then yes he is. Not out of the top 2 scorers in the last 4 seasons scoring more in each successive season. 

Aye you could say that but more often than not when I watch him up against good opposition he barely features in the game and looks slow and clumsy.

28 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

I’ve been a huge HK fan for a few years now.  He won me good money as top scorer in the World Cup on the back of this.

Regardless of that though, he is indeed, one of the best strikers in the world just now.

Shock horror. England come up against something resembling a football team and fall short again.

Agree with others about Harry Kane. Brilliant striker.

1 hour ago, Dino Velvet said:

Agree but the last few games he has been poor and he never gets subbed.

1 hour ago, RudiHMFC said:

Is he though? 

He is indeed, and when you add the best keeper, best centre half, and attacking midfielder, plus  world's best left back it is just crazy they didn't win the world cup