Is anyone deliberately planning their driving routes? - petrol prices

Craigieboy

I run a fairly small business. I have a petrol van.

At ?1.20 a litre, I now get only half a tank for ?35.00.

A year ago, it got to nearly 3 quarters full. It disgusts me.

So, to save money, I am now more conscious of my routes. Sometimes, I would drive home for a break & then head back into town. I'm now less inclined to do simple things like that now.

I just hate being overly taxed on my earnings AND now on ****ing petol.

Nucky Thompson
I run a fairly small business. I have a petrol van.

At ?1.20 a litre, I now get only half a tank for ?35.00.

A year ago, it got to nearly 3 quarters full. It disgusts me.

So, to save money, I am now more conscious of my routes. Sometimes, I would drive home for a break & then head back into town. I'm now less inclined to do simple things like that now.

I just hate being overly taxed on my earnings AND now on ****ing petol.

Try driving a diesel van:rolleyes: Seriously, it doesn't effect me too much. last year I was ?30 a week, this year I'm ?45 on fuel. I just pass it on to the customer.

Ray Winstone

I certainly came home from Uni (Aberdeen) a lot less over the last year than I did in the year before that!

I try to use my car as few times as possible - Where as before I would have driven to work I now get the bus.

I also deliver pizzas a couple of times a week just to make some extra cash during the summer and I plan my routes before I go out a lot more carefully.

Being a doss student, running a decent size car is costing me a fortune.

I am up to 60.00 for a full tank.

?70 to fill the car and ?80 to fill the van is starting to do my head in. Don't bother with changing my routes though. :(

There's an old episode of Top Gear where Jeremy drives from London to Edinburgh and back on one tank of fuel (it was a beast of a motor, right enough) but after it they went through how much fuel (in miles) is wasted due to the excess weight of ****e in the boot. It was quite shocking how much can be saved by just emptying your boot.

Maybe a thought for you guys to try and get a bit more bang for your buck :)

There's an old episode of Top Gear where Jeremy drives from London to Edinburgh and back on one tank of fuel (it was a beast of a motor, right enough) but after it they went through how much fuel (in miles) is wasted due to the excess weight of ****e in the boot. It was quite shocking how much can be saved by just emptying your boot.

Maybe a thought for you guys to try and get a bit more bang for your buck :)

Even keeping your windows up and making sure your tyres are always at the right psi can make a difference to your wallet.

My bikes coming out. My work is a 20 mile round trip and I have been building up to it.

I managed 10 miles on saturday, but my backsides killing me. I feel like a Hobo. ;)

I've started giving myself an extra 15 minutes and sitting in the inside lane. Instead of having the air con on constantly I now open the window a bit. Make sure you're not carrying any unnecessary weight in the boot.

I have started to notice an increase in my mpg.

I bored myself just typing that though. Apologies.

Come on though guys, FFS.

You have to have your windows up, sweating like a hobo doing the back scuttle in CC's. Air con off. Sod all in your boot.

I need to carry weight. I need to have stuff in the van, all the time.

It's a ****ing sin so it is.

I'm writing to Jimmy Savile.

yvonnejambo

I have just had a debate about this with my work. I travel around 300 miles a week with work and petrol is ?1.24 a litre which is dearer than any other worker in their areas but we all still get the same fuel allowance which hasn't changed in last 3 years. I also noticed when I went down to Edinburgh last week that normally half a tank would get me down which was ?20 few months ago is now ?25. So a trip down and back is ?50, quite a lot when the season starts!

:sad:

The Old Tolbooth

Don't worry guys, our illustrious PM is in Saudi Arabia negotiating cheaper fuel prices as we speak, I very much doubt if he was top of the opinion polls that he would be out there though, bawsack!

Brian Whittaker's Tache

50.35 pence per litre for ultra-low sulphur unleaded petrol/diesel

53.65 pence per litre for conventional unleaded petrol

56.94 pence per litre for conventional diesel

Just a thought, maybe Gordon could see his way to taking some of the tax off a gallon???

I drove home via Crewe Toll on Saturday night to fill up for 114.9p a litre as opposed to the 118.9p a litre I'd been paying at my usual petrol station. Does that count?

I'd love to be able to ease my right foot off the gas a little, but I have a very bad habit of horsing down the M9 at 90mph everyday.

I tried buying the premium fuel for a while and got a better mpg, but not better enough to make it worthwhile, maybe an extra 40-50 miles from a tank, which is about ?6 worth, but a tank was costing an extra ?8 or something.

The price of petrol is just awful, I now spend about ?250 a month on petrol, horrendous.

brunstanejambo

Faced with ?40 a week in diesel to get back and forth to work pushed me over the edge and I sold my motor last week.

I now take the train - ?27 a week.

And as I've only been getting my ticket checked about 1/2 the time I think I will start to not buy one before boarding and save a bit more cash that way.

It's not been too bad either - nice wee walk at either end is keeping me fit I guess, but I'm not so sure that I'll be saying the same come winter.

Jesus - I've just realised that I am turning into a grumpy old sensible person :confused:

I miss my car :cry:

Archived