100th PGA Championship

Samuel Camazzola

Samuel Camazzola

Is anyone subscribing to ElevenSports or taking up the seven day trial to watch this? I'll take up the trial but hope it's not a pain to cancel. 

The course looks great but there have been a few storms and heavy downpours this week. 

My bets for e/w finishes so far are Finau, Cantley, Suri, Leishman and Fox. I fancy the winner to come from one of Johnson, McIlroy or Day but their odds are not appealing. 

Hopefully Tiger does well and would like to see Knox finish highly to push for Ryder Cup place. Poulter has hit form and will be pressing Casey for the final automatic pick

Maroon Sailor

To think this tournament is moving to May next year.

Not for me, it'll never be a proper major imo and this streaming farce proves it.

D.J to win if he doesn't get complacent.

The USPGA have just blown this tournaments(which is what it is now) place as a major. It was always lightweight , and they just proved it.

Can you honestly see THE OPEN or the Masters being streamed on a subscription site???

Would rather see the Players as a Major, much more influential tournament.

Took up the free trial and can't wait, the opening day pairings look tasty and should be a great watch. Not interested in which multi million pound company has the rights to show the world the action it's available online for free if you know where to look. Hoping Rory can't get his 5th major but another european win before Le National would be lovely.

It's complete nonsense to suggest the Players Championship is in some way better or more influential than the USPGA.     The PGA is a major and has for many years contributed to the historical major wins totals of golfers.     Like any of the majors,    it's status as a major has a vital importance for the history and legacy of the game.    The TPC can never replace it and should not become a 5th major.      The status quo provides continuity through the eras and should never be messed around with.

Broadcasting coverage has no practical bearing on it's importance to the players.    They wont give a shite where it's broadcast.     

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, merrymac said:

The USPGA have just blown this tournaments(which is what it is now) place as a major. It was always lightweight , and they just proved it.

Can you honestly see THE OPEN or the Masters being streamed on a subscription site???

Would rather see the Players as a Major, much more influential tournament.

A fifth major would be good but it would be better to create a new event that moves around globally instead of the States getting another. 

15 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

A fifth major would be good but it would be better to create a new event that moves around globally instead of the States getting another. 

Not advocating another Major, just think the Players should replace uspga.

Given that the majority of the top players are in US I would be surprised. A new event would be difficult as you dont have the history and standing to create the feel of a Major.

Think they feel they covered the global angle with the WGC events.

Samuel Camazzola
38 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Not advocating another Major, just think the Players should replace uspga.

Given that the majority of the top players are in US I would be surprised. A new event would be difficult as you dont have the history and standing to create the feel of a Major.

Think they feel they covered the global angle with the WGC events.

I disagree with the point regarding it not having a history. Like anything, that'll come. 

Maybe the PGA could try going back to it's original matchplay format to rejuvenate more external hype. I imagine winners like Day, Bradley, Elkington, Singh etc don't feel it's title is devalued but the feeling from reporters is it lost a sparkle. 

Moving to May will be good as it provides good spacing for the big events starting with The Players in March. It helps with the scheduling on Olympic years too as that event is only going to get bigger. 

Hopefully this PGA provides some drama. A Tiger win would give it the profile raise it craves. 

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

It's complete nonsense to suggest the Players Championship is in some way better or more influential than the USPGA.     The PGA is a major and has for many years contributed to the historical major wins totals of golfers.     Like any of the majors,    it's status as a major has a vital importance for the history and legacy of the game.    The TPC can never replace it and should not become a 5th major.      The status quo provides continuity through the eras and should never be messed around with.

Broadcasting coverage has no practical bearing on it's importance to the players.    They wont give a shite where it's broadcast.     

The us pga is a bit like the league cup. Great if you win it but it's not really the trophy you wanted. 

Just now, Dino Velvet said:

The us pga is a bit like the league cup. Great if you win it but it's not really the trophy you wanted. 

A bit.    But it's still a major.     Try asking Jack Nicklaus to reduce his 18 majors by 5.     Or Tiger's 14 by 4.

Ask Tom Watson if he's not bothered about narrowly missing out on a career grand slam by only finishing 2nd at the USPGA.      

It's vitally important for legacy and continuity of history and it still has a greater cache than the TPC.      

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

A bit.    But it's still a major.     Try asking Jack Nicklaus to reduce his 18 majors by 5.     Or Tiger's 14 by 4.

Ask Tom Watson if he's not bothered about narrowly missing out on a career grand slam by only finishing 2nd at the USPGA.      

It's vitally important for legacy and continuity of history and it still has a greater cache than the TPC.      

It's the 4th major and will never rise above the Masters or the US Open and The Open

Would Watson swap one of his Opens for the USPGA ? Maybe

Would a player swap a USPGA for one of the other 3 majors ? Probably

The other thing about these pointless calls to add the TPC as a 5th major or replace the USPGA with thd TPC is that,  once done,   wouldn't the TPC instantly become the poor relation?     It would.    It doesn't have the major history.

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Honestly?

Do you remember some of the fantastic finishes and major like drama at Sawgrass? Or can you remember the last PGA champion I cant. Its always been the lowest value of all the majors, how many player are heard to say -" my ultimate would be to win the USPGA"  - none I guess, Masters yes, US Open yes. The OPEN yes -.

3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Honestly?

Do you remember some of the fantastic finishes and major like drama at Sawgrass? Or can you remember the last PGA champion I cant. Its always been the lowest value of all the majors, how many player are heard to say -" my ultimate would be to win the USPGA"  - none I guess, Masters yes, US Open yes. The OPEN yes -.

It's a big tournament but it would merely replace the USPGA as the least important major.     And it has no history as a major.      It's completely pointless to attempt to change it.     

Just now, Victorian said:

It's a big tournament but it would merely replace the USPGA as the least important major.     And it has no history as a major.      It's completely pointless to attempt to change it.     

Agree it would be the least important, one has to be. All majors had no history at some point, the excitement and reputation has created that over the years.

I do realise that there is little chance of things changing. I reckon if you were to ask the golfing public which tournament they preferred there would only be one winner.

From my point I cant be bothered to go through the online hassle to watch this.

I think there has been a little grumbling about it being off TV, if it was the Open or the Masters I think there would be uproar.

The fact that they have done this says it all about the USPGA status in world golf.

Just now, merrymac said:

Agree it would be the least important, one has to be. All majors had no history at some point, the excitement and reputation has created that over the years.

I do realise that there is little chance of things changing. I reckon if you were to ask the golfing public which tournament they preferred there would only be one winner.

From my point I cant be bothered to go through the online hassle to watch this.

I think there has been a little grumbling about it being off TV, if it was the Open or the Masters I think there would be uproar.

The fact that they have done this says it all about the USPGA status in world golf.

Maybe.    But I bet the majority of players would prefer to win the tournament that was won as a major by all the greats (- Watson of course),    rather than win a newly established major.

Broadcasting changes nothing for the players abd broadcasting experiments are not necessarily permanent.

Maroon Sailor

It's too late in the day to add a major or change a major.

Still think the USPGA should be played after the other 3 though - in it's rightful place plus it's a long time from July to April so I would like to see it booted to September.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Maybe.    But I bet the majority of players would prefer to win the tournament that was won as a major by all the greats (- Watson of course),    rather than win a newly established major.

Broadcasting changes nothing for the players abd broadcasting experiments are not necessarily permanent.

Think that's a rather narrow view. Of course it changes things - affects sponsors etc who pay their wages, also takes them out of the spotlight. Maybe not in the very short term but over a period definitely.

Anyway enjoyed the chat.

Who is your tip?

I always go for Stenson like his style.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's too late in the day to add a major or change a major.

Still think the USPGA should be played after the other 3 though - in it's rightful place plus it's a long time from July to April so I would like to see it booted to September.

The golfing calendar changes either next season or the one after.

Masters-April

PGA-May

US Open-June

Open-July.

22 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Think that's a rather narrow view. Of course it changes things - affects sponsors etc who pay their wages, also takes them out of the spotlight. Maybe not in the very short term but over a period definitely.

Anyway enjoyed the chat.

Who is your tip?

I always go for Stenson like his style.

I had Thomas in mind and now see he's started well.    McIlroy will be close as he's developed a great knack of scoring decent even when he's less than 100%.

Maroon Sailor
44 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

The golfing calendar changes either next season or the one after.

Masters-April

PGA-May

US Open-June

Open-July.

It's next season

Maroon Sailor

Tony Finau could make PGA history.

8 birdies in his round (thru11)

The record is 10 birdies in a round held by Gary Player.

The Internet

How has eleven sports been? Thinking of signing up for it but was waiting to see how they got on with this. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

How has eleven sports been? Thinking of signing up for it but was waiting to see how they got on with this. 

Take up the 7 day trial and see if it's for you. 

I won't subscribe after the trial period is over. Don't want to be watching stuff on the laptop or devices and can't get it to broadcast on the smart TV. 

The golf is just using a feed from North American network. 

2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I like it, hooked the laptop up the my tv with an hdmi cable and its a quality picture, think I’ll be keeping it for the serie A coverage, can’t go wrong for 5.99 a month, will cancel it during the summer months I think . 

Maroon Sailor
14 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Tony Finau could make PGA history.

8 birdies in his round (thru11)

The record is 10 birdies in a round held by Gary Player.

Well he ended up with 10 birdies in his round so equals that long standing record

The Internet
4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Take up the 7 day trial and see if it's for you. 

I won't subscribe after the trial period is over. Don't want to be watching stuff on the laptop or devices and can't get it to broadcast on the smart TV. 

The golf is just using a feed from North American network. 

3 hours ago, Irufushi said:

I like it, hooked the laptop up the my tv with an hdmi cable and its a quality picture, think I’ll be keeping it for the serie A coverage, can’t go wrong for 5.99 a month, will cancel it during the summer months I think . 

Cheers guys. Thought the free trial was just for the golf but will try it out. 

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Do you know if there are restrictions in streaming it through a smart TV? After logging in, the golf wouldn't play. 

31 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Do you know if there are restrictions in streaming it through a smart TV? After logging in, the golf wouldn't play. 

I got it to play on my smart tv but I ditched it after 5 mins as the picture was poor. Couldn’t tell you if there are any restrictions pal. 

Samuel Camazzola
5 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Great entertainment but I still cant see past koepka. 

Scott has now caught him and Koepka misses short birdie putt on 13. Dramatic hour ahead! 

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

Don’t like koepka, wouldn’t mind Scott winning and I’m begging for a tiger win !!!

Tiger's just chucked a dart at 15. That's a guaranteed birdie! 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
2 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Driving lets him down yet again. 

Shocker. Second easiest hole on the course too. Chance blown...just as Koepke birdies 15. Oh well. 

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

William H. Bonney
4 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Shocker. Second easiest hole on the course too. Chance blown...just as Koepke birdies 15. Oh well. 

That's him done. Kopekas to lose. 

William H. Bonney
3 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Off to bed in a huff?, actually gutted. 

A couple of years ago I would have laughed at the thought of tiger winning another major but it's got to be a real possibility now. 

Next year will be interesting.