Where to stay in London

graygo

As it says, where is the best place to base ourselves for 3 days in London.

Me, the wife and a 7 year old so night life/bars are not on the agenda. Will just be doing the normal touristy stuff.

Anybody been that can recommend a place? Would need to be at least 1 bedroom but preferably 2 so looking for an apartment probably.

Is it better to stay a bit further out but easy access to the centre?

TIA.

I don't think I'd go further out than zone 2 but I wouldn't be fussed about being in the centre of zone 1. 

Edit: I'm not sure I could be arsed trailing a 7 year old around London for 3 days. 

Edited by IronJambo

A crowd of us were down in June and hired 4 apartments in the same complex in Canary Wharf (Marlin Apartments). The apartments we had were all fine and IMO reasonably priced for London. There are a couple of supermarkets nearby and a decent Turkish restaurant at the other end of Byng St. Plenty of restaurants also in Canary Wharf itself. We used the MBNA river boats to get into the city which are a bit more expensive that the underground (~£6.50 for an adult each way) - the dock is a 10 min walk from the apartment and it's a pleasant way to travel. Bus stops and underground nearby as well. One downside was no A/C in the apartments so if temperatures are at their current levels when you are visiting you should probably look elsewhere. I seem to recall Marlin have other locations in London, we chose Canary Wharf due to it's proximity to London City Airport.

Thanks for the replies, we're not going till October so the hot weather shouldn't be an issue.

The wife is looking at a serviced apartment in Aldgate which looks like it's in Whitechapel, safe enough?

Edit: Also one in Fitzrovia.

Edited by graygo

42 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Knife crime is rife in London. 

Stay at home, safe.

I live in Glasgow.

Spoiler

I don't really

Bridge of Djoum
4 hours ago, graygo said:

As it says, where is the best place to base ourselves for 3 days in London.

Me, the wife and a 7 year old so night life/bars are not on the agenda. Will just be doing the normal touristy stuff.

Anybody been that can recommend a place? Would need to be at least 1 bedroom but preferably 2 so looking for an apartment probably.

Is it better to stay a bit further out but easy access to the centre?

TIA.

''A'' 7 year old?

Is it yours?

18 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

''A'' 7 year old?

Is it yours?

No, not hers either but what does that matter?

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, graygo said:

No, not hers either but what does that matter?

:laugh:

I guess it doesn't.

6 hours ago, graygo said:

Thanks for the replies, we're not going till October so the hot weather shouldn't be an issue.

The wife is looking at a serviced apartment in Aldgate which looks like it's in Whitechapel, safe enough?

I’d probably recommend Fitzrovia over Aldgate East/Whitechapel if you want to be near more of the traditional sites.

Before I properly lived there I stayed in a fairly decent apartment with work on Arlington Road in Camden. No idea on price but might be a decent option. 

9 hours ago, graygo said:

Aldgate is fine, it's at the west side of Whitechapel. It looks and feels a bit scrubby. Brick Lane is in easy reach which is fantastic on a Sunday. The tube and bus links are great. If you're flying, City Airport would be your best choice. 

Francis Albert

On staying out of the centre ... it will certainly be cheaper and if near a tube station will give easy access to all the tourist sites. In October outside the rush hour  the tube will be quite bearable (unlike now). And in my experience seven-ish year olds find the tube itself one of the more popular tourist attractions (I know you have one in Glasgow but it isn't quite the same!) 

John Findlay

Last time I had a weekend in the Smoke I based myself in Colliers Wood. Northern line took me right into the heart of the city. Was very easy. As mentioned above a 7yr old will view the tube as one huge adventure. One recommendation. The Natural History museum. I spent over 4hrs in there with my 10yr old laddie this past Friday. The place is brilliant. The bonus. Free of charge. Nearest tube. South Kensington for the main entrance on Cromwell Road.

Serviced apartments are obviously what you're looking for and nativeplaces.com were of a reasonable standard 18 months ago when I worked for them (they were called Go Native). Native Hyde Park is a great location but I'm not sure what the prices are like now. I would always recommend W2 to stay as you can get pretty much everywhere quickly and a lot of green spaces are close by (Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park). 

Have a look at Air BnB too, although check the reviews. 

When there, avoid travelling over ground unless you're only going 2 or 3 stops, in which case walking is quicker :thumbsup:

The twice we’ve stayed have been in Edgeware and in Kensington.  Both good and direct lines into the centre.

Cheers guys, flights are booked to Stansted and the train booked from there to Liverpool Street.

Still looking for accom.

I use Travelodge now when in London.

You know what you are getting.

Get one with good transport links for a decent price and you are sorted.

Ricardo Shillyshally
1 hour ago, benny said:

I use Travelodge now when in London.

You know what you are getting.

Get one with good transport links for a decent price and you are sorted.

Good advice. I've got one near kings X for 70 a night.

Stayed in shitty hotel near Paddington earlier this year and never again. Booking.com even removed all the negative comments from my review.

John Findlay

When I was in Colliers Wood. Stayed in a Premier Inn. They will do a double and single bed for a family room and you can get rooms cheap.

I work in London regularly and took the kids down for Xmas (missed the celtic 4-0 game - doh!). I'd recommend Kings Cross - it's a safe area now, lots of restaurants and Kings Cross St Pancras underground station is obviously very close which means most central London locations are only 10-20 minutes away. Premier Inn is there, pretty reasonable price wise and decent quality. 

Edited by Aaron78

Forza Cuore

I've used both Holiday Inn Express on Old Street and Double Tree by Hilton on Bayswater Road. Both decent..Bayswater Road nicer area but Old Street nearer the City.

3fingersreid

We've used the premier inn on York Way , right opposite kings cross station which makes it a great base for transport links , 

Premier Inns and Travelodges are out for us unfortunately due to us having a foster child and not being allowed to share a bedroom.

I’ve used serviced apartments in docklands twice & both excellent. Jubilee line from Canary Wharf is less than 15 minutes to Westminster so not as far out in reality as it looks on a map.