Selkirk FC close to the end

letsalldothebeattie

letsalldothebeattie

Just seen a post from my local club Selkirk FC who tonight held a emergency meeting hinting that the club could be close to closure. 

The post on Facebook & Twitter reads:

Due to a meeting being held tonight with the club, we are seeking advice from the Lowland League on a way forward for Selkirk Football Club.

At present, the club has not folded and are trying to work at getting issues resolved. We shall keep everyone posted in due course and thank you for your patience.

No further comments can be made at this present time.

I knew things must have been bad when the entire team that finished 5th last season in the Lowland league was cut a squad which contained Sean McKirdy & Dale Baxter former academy stars at Hearts, the squad was largely replaced by youngsters for this season and hasn’t been a great move with the Lowland season only 2 games old they’ve shipped 18 goals (10 away to EK before shipping 8 at home to Gretna midweek) They hosted a friendly against a Man City legends team at the weekend in a bid to secure some decent finance to hopefully see them through the season but going by what’s coming out the club tonight that wasn’t as successful as they had hoped. 

Its never nice nice to see any side struggle financially and possibly close but I think this could spell the end for my local club because I genuinely can’t see where they will get sufficient funds to carry on. Nobody in the town is a millionaire/billionaire wanting to buy the club. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• letsalldothebeattie

• Footballfirst

• The Old Tolbooth

• Fxxx the SPFL

Hungry hippo

Would be fascinated to know how much their coats are. Surprised they are struggling to survive if they have stripped back the player costs that much as their other expenses shouldn't be great even with little backing.

Never been the same since they narrowly missed out on Scottish Cup glory, losing to Stirling Albion 20 - 0 :D

Fxxx the SPFL
5 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Just seen a post from my local club Selkirk FC who tonight held a emergency meeting hinting that the club could be close to closure. 

The post on Facebook & Twitter reads:

Due to a meeting being held tonight with the club, we are seeking advice from the Lowland League on a way forward for Selkirk Football Club.

At present, the club has not folded and are trying to work at getting issues resolved. We shall keep everyone posted in due course and thank you for your patience.

No further comments can be made at this present time.

I knew things must have been bad when the entire team that finished 5th last season in the Lowland league was cut a squad which contained Sean McKirdy & Dale Baxter former academy stars at Hearts, the squad was largely replaced by youngsters for this season and hasn’t been a great move with the Lowland season only 2 games old they’ve shipped 18 goals (10 away to EK before shipping 8 at home to Gretna midweek) They hosted a friendly against a Man City legends team at the weekend in a bid to secure some decent finance to hopefully see them through the season but going by what’s coming out the club tonight that wasn’t as successful as they had hoped. 

Its never nice nice to see any side struggle financially and possibly close but I think this could spell the end for my local club because I genuinely can’t see where they will get sufficient funds to carry on. Nobody in the town is a millionaire/billionaire wanting to buy the club. 

Was there not an ex French hibs player bringing some decent players over thre or four years ago obviously O'Connor was player manager recently 

Finlay James

No idea of the history there but it takes some real effort and strong leadership to keep these clubs afloat.  My own local club, Peebles Rovers, is very well run bit rely heavily on the local community to keep it competitive and have come close a few times themselves.  The borders is a heavily rugby county and this no doubt has an impact on the football clubs.

As an aside, I'm surprised that Sean McKirdy has ended up at this level.  I recall folk saying that releasing him would bite us on the arse.  Guess not.

letsalldothebeattie
Just now, Hungry hippo said:

Would be fascinated to know how much their coats are. Surprised they are struggling to survive if they have stripped back the player costs that much as their other expenses shouldn't be great even with little backing.

I would imagine costs have been huge for the last 4/5 years or so since the Lowland league started considering they had Garry O’Connor on the books for 3 of them. Plus I would imagine despite his young age they would’ve thrown good money at likes of McKirdy to bring them in as well. Given the average home crowd is about 50-100 at £6 entry the club will be losing more than coming in

3 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Surely they won't need coats until winter.  ;) 

letsalldothebeattie
1 minute ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Was there not an ex French hibs player bringing some decent players over thre or four years ago obviously O'Connor was player manager recently 

They had a link to that Edusport Academy for a while but ever since they started as its own club outright that link has dropped 

letsalldothebeattie
Just now, chester copperpot said:

Has Gordon Rae not recently been appointed manager there. Sure I had some email about it recently

Yes 2nd manager of the season. Terry Ferguson who was manager at start of the season quit after the 10 thumping away to East Kilbride 

chester copperpot
Just now, letsalldothebeattie said:

Yes 2nd manager of the season. Terry Ferguson who was manager at start of the season quit after the 10 thumping away to East Kilbride 

Cheers.

Freaky Dancer

As a former Selkirk player, I find this quite sad to see. The club has totally changed since my playing days when it was mainly border lads playing in the east of Scotland league. often wonder if the lowland league has been good for some of the teams.ie spending money that they didn't have on players they couldn't afford. Sad times

Hungry hippo
7 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

I would imagine costs have been huge for the last 4/5 years or so since the Lowland league started considering they had Garry O’Connor on the books for 3 of them. Plus I would imagine despite his young age they would’ve thrown good money at likes of McKirdy to bring them in as well. Given the average home crowd is about 50-100 at £6 entry the club will be losing more than coming in

If they have lots of debt, relative to their size, I wonder who provided it and what the repayment terms are. I doubt any funding would be via a bank so would guess it would be someone local.

If Selkirk's problems are merely financial, there's a well established precedent for the meaningless and expendable company which operates the club to go into administration followed by liquidation, allowing the metaphysical football club to carry on under the stewardship of a new meaningless and expendable company, entirely debt-free and without a care in the world.

Unless of course that discretionary rule only applies to FC Zombie of Govan.  

33 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

I would imagine costs have been huge for the last 4/5 years or so since the Lowland league started considering they had Garry O’Connor on the books for 3 of them.

Correct. The Buffet cost must have rocketed. 

The new chairman has stepped down after two weeks. The new management team who left were only appointed two weeks prior to the season started.  There’s a lot of issues there. Lies being told by all the committee.   Needs to get sorted ASAP or there out the box

letsalldothebeattie
2 hours ago, jamboshiel said:

As a former Selkirk player, I find this quite sad to see. The club has totally changed since my playing days when it was mainly border lads playing in the east of Scotland league. often wonder if the lowland league has been good for some of the teams.ie spending money that they didn't have on players they couldn't afford. Sad times

They days disappeared when the club joined the Lowland League. The club obviously started looking to a “better” type of player including O’Connor and subsequently started training up in Edinburgh twice a week because the bulk of the squad was from up that way. I tend to agree with you in the end has it been worth going into the Lowland league? For well run clubs like Edinburgh City, Spartans, East Kilbride yes but for Selkirk & the other birder sides I would say no. Hawick relegated with 1 win last season, Vale surviving just because Cowdenbeath didn’t lose the relegation play off to Cove, Gala hardly done anything in the league since it’s start and as stated after years of trying to be bigger than they are it’s finally caught up with Selkirk and could ultimately kill them as a club. Sad really but that’s football

Much preferred the East of Scotland league when it  was the 2 divisions. Played against Selkirk many times, at old Ettrick park. I hope they pull through  this,

Jean Louis Valois

Sad to hear about Selkirk. Seems Alot of the Border clubs have been struggling for the past few years. I know In the east of Scotland their Seems to be a lack of interest in guys playing for not a lot in return. Changed days.

Fxxx the SPFL
7 minutes ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

Sad to hear about Selkirk. Seems Alot of the Border clubs have been struggling for the past few years. I know In the east of Scotland their Seems to be a lack of interest in guys playing for not a lot in return. Changed days.

It's the same with the rugby only Melrose seem to hold their own but they generate plenty cash from the sevens and local businesses and individuals allow them to compete at the top however any decent football lads head for the bigger city clubs. John Collins and Danny Galbraith (a good jambo came on our supporters bus when younger) spring to mind sad days for borders rugby and football 

Sad to read. Always thought it was a bit of a stretch for clubs like that. Maybe there should be some sort of borders team that can compete? 

letsalldothebeattie
53 minutes ago, Zen Jambo said:

Sad to read. Always thought it was a bit of a stretch for clubs like that. Maybe there should be some sort of borders team that can compete? 

Could be a possibility but could create more problems than anything else. Just like with any other club(s) folding/merging. Not that clubs here have a giant support but it could isolate those that do go and effectively kill a new club right from the off. Things like location would be key in the Lowland & EOS you have Selkirk, Gala, Vale of Leithen(Innerleithen), Peebles, Hawick & Coldstream as Border clubs where do you locate them and will guys who go to watch the current clubs travel to watch a new club? It’s a difficult situation 

19 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Could be a possibility but could create more problems than anything else. Just like with any other club(s) folding/merging. Not that clubs here have a giant support but it could isolate those that do go and effectively kill a new club right from the off. Things like location would be key in the Lowland & EOS you have Selkirk, Gala, Vale of Leithen(Innerleithen), Peebles, Hawick & Coldstream as Border clubs where do you locate them and will guys who go to watch the current clubs travel to watch a new club? It’s a difficult situation 

True that. 

It's a shame. My cousin had a contract last season but got injured (again) and hasn't played since. Not sure if he was kept on for this year but he always held the club in high regard so will be a shame if they go under. 

letsalldothebeattie
7 minutes ago, Maroonjam said:

It's a shame. My cousin had a contract last season but got injured (again) and hasn't played since. Not sure if he was kept on for this year but he always held the club in high regard so will be a shame if they go under. 

From what I’ve heard the entire squad from last season was cut assuming as a cost cutting exercise but you never know with injured players always find it harsh if an injured player gets released especially at that level 

The Border clubs showed ambition by applying for the lowland league, however that ambition hasn't been matched with the same financial backing that a lot of the 'new' clubs have at their disposal. This is futher compounded by the mass influx of the relatively wealthy junior clubs this season.

I'd expect the majority of Border clubs to slip down the leagues in the next couple of years, but hopefully they survive.

Edited by Dunks

10 hours ago, Dunks said:

Never been the same since they narrowly missed out on Scottish Cup glory, losing to Stirling Albion 20 - 0 :D

Well at least they didn't get absolutely pumped, that would have been embarrassing :lol:

letsalldothebeattie
4 minutes ago, Dunks said:

The Border clubs showed ambition by applying for the lowland league, however that ambition hasn't been matched with the same financial backing that a lot of the 'new' clubs have at their disposal. This is futher compounded by the mass influx of the relatively wealthy junior clubs this season.

I'd expect the majority of Border clubs to slip down the leagues in the next couple of years, but hopefully they survive.

Totally agree with this. The ambition from all border clubs was great but as you say the financial backing never followed. As has been stated it’s rugby country down here so nobody financially will look at football here especially when your not drawing massive crowds every other week. Add to that the influx of well run and more wealthier junior clubs will see Vale, Gala & Selkirk (if they don’t fold) slip down to EoS in the coming years. Which in reality I think is where they belong. They don’t have what it takes to compete with Kelty, Bonnyrigg etc coming into the senior game. Unfortunately that’s the sad reality of the state of the game down here. 

26 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

From what I’ve heard the entire squad from last season was cut assuming as a cost cutting exercise but you never know with injured players always find it harsh if an injured player gets released especially at that level 

Believe most of last seasons players are still due payments which seems unlikely they’ll receive.

letsalldothebeattie
Just now, graham said:

Believe most of last seasons players are still due payments which seems unlikely they’ll receive.

Yeah would say very unlikely. Sounds like not much cash in the club at all if they were hoping a friendly would tide them over to the end of the season which hasn’t obviously worked 

Can always come back as sevco2. I think a lot of the lowland league teams are in trouble.The powerful ex junior teams will control the lowland league in seasons to come.

1 minute ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Yeah would say very unlikely. Sounds like not much cash in the club at all if they were hoping a friendly would tide them over to the end of the season which hasn’t obviously worked 

Shame all round and never nice to see any club go to the wall regardless what level they play the game ?

letsalldothebeattie
9 minutes ago, Boab1874 said:

Can always come back as sevco2. I think a lot of the lowland league teams are in trouble.The powerful ex junior teams will control the lowland league in seasons to come.

It’ll be interesting over the next 5-10 years to see what the leagues look like in Scotland because I agree I think the juniors will control the Lowland and can see a few clubs like Berwick & Cowdenbeath dropping League 2 if they come up against Ex Juniors in play off games 

letsalldothebeattie
6 minutes ago, graham said:

Shame all round and never nice to see any club go to the wall regardless what level they play the game ?

Absolutely agree never nice because at the end of the day this could be one less club about and don’t want it to become a common theme up here. 

Saw Hearts play Selkirk in 60’s. my hero Willie Wallace and most of 1st team. May have been opening of their ground. First time I saw the team.

Travel is a problem, football, rugby and cricket struggle.

my old rugby team travelled to Orkney, Inverness, Wigtown, Ardrossan, Glasgow x 2, and Aberdeen I think. These clubs also travelled down to the borders. 

Hungry hippo

It would benefit everyone to have at least four up and four down between Lowland and EoS. As has been mentioned there are teams in the Lowland that just can't compete and it is doing them no favours.

I'd actually be tempted by a one-off 6 up 4 down to increase the Lowland League and help teams find a more appropriate level more quickly.

Hawick Royal Albert have been struggling to remain competitive for a number of years too. Sadly i think these clubs are maybe a little out of their depth in the Lowland League.

Someone mentioned on the Juniors thread that the Borders is the only region never to have had a professional football club, but sadly there's reasons for that. They just really aren't that fussed about football.

Gala ain't too bad. Its a decent size town, and considerably closer to Edinburgh so while very much a rugby town still, i always felt Gala had a bit more of a football base. A lot more Jambos and Hibby's there than other places in the Borders.

Selkirk is tiny, about 4,000 i believe? And Hawick, where i lived for 5 years, is the biggest town in the Borders but in my experience there just isn't reallt enough people overly interested in football.

The 3 main sporting venues of Hawick are right next to each other, Hawick main rugby team regularly drew in a few hundred fans but easily more for big games. Hawick YM rugby even drew in decent amounts. Poor wee Albert at the end of Mansfield Road done well to get 50 people along unless they were playing Fairydean.

letsalldothebeattie
27 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

It would benefit everyone to have at least four up and four down between Lowland and EoS. As has been mentioned there are teams in the Lowland that just can't compete and it is doing them no favours.

I'd actually be tempted by a one-off 6 up 4 down to increase the Lowland League and help teams find a more appropriate level more quickly.

I totally agree with this a 4 up 4 down would massively benefit a lot of clubs and the leagues as well give some clubs chance to start again so to speak if they drop to the EoS. The 6 up 4 down would be a good way to shake things up and expand the league as well and would benefit a few of the juniors as well who would bring a lot to the Lowland. 

27 minutes ago, Locky said:

Hawick Royal Albert have been struggling to remain competitive for a number of years too. Sadly i think these clubs are maybe a little out of their depth in the Lowland League.

Someone mentioned on the Juniors thread that the Borders is the only region never to have had a professional football club, but sadly there's reasons for that. They just really aren't that fussed about football.

Gala ain't too bad. Its a decent size town, and considerably closer to Edinburgh so while very much a rugby town still, i always felt Gala had a bit more of a football base. A lot more Jambos and Hibby's there than other places in the Borders.

Selkirk is tiny, about 4,000 i believe? And Hawick, where i lived for 5 years, is the biggest town in the Borders but in my experience there just isn't reallt enough people overly interested in football.

The 3 main sporting venues of Hawick are right next to each other, Hawick main rugby team regularly drew in a few hundred fans but easily more for big games. Hawick YM rugby even drew in decent amounts. Poor wee Albert at the end of Mansfield Road done well to get 50 people along unless they were playing Fairydean.

Hawick should be ok now that they’ve dropped to the EoS for this season. Since the start of the Lowland they have really struggled to equip themselves along with Vale of Leithen. Selkirk and Gala have done ok to a point in the league. But you hit the nail on the head with the nobody is really interested. All 3 clubs (Selkirk, Hawick & Gala) football grounds are right next door to rugby grounds and if both are at home the football crowds are very very low and if the rugby are away you are lucky if you get an extra 10-15 people. Only time you’ll see an increase if it’s a derby against each other and even then the crowds don’t swell that much 

Jean Louis Valois
44 minutes ago, Locky said:

Good post. Coming from Kelso I know that at the borders schools football isn’t pushed at all. You are expected to play rugby from very early and if you aren’t interested then tough. Lucky their have always been good Sunday morning boys football clubs in most towns, Not sure if they still get as many going these days though.

5 minutes ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

Good post. Coming from Kelso I know that at the borders schools football isn’t pushed at all. You are expected to play rugby from very early and if you aren’t interested then tough. Lucky their have always been good Sunday morning boys football clubs in most towns, Not sure if they still get as many going these days though.

At High school, each year was represented with A and B rugby teams. My year didn't even get a football team at all cos of numbers.

letsalldothebeattie
10 minutes ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

That was one thing I noticed when I moved down to selkirk as a kid the lack of interest in having football teams at school. We had one in primary school at first but that stopped when my year moved up to high school but it was only rugby or nothing and I like rugby but never been an interest to play it from me. It was a massive shock having moved from a school that had several school teams and also being a part of the local team at kids level as well to having next to nothing down here. School only had/has links with the rugby club here but not the football club

20 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

That was one thing I noticed when I moved down to selkirk as a kid the lack of interest in having football teams at school. We had one in primary school at first but that stopped when my year moved up to high school but it was only rugby or nothing and I like rugby but never been an interest to play it from me. It was a massive shock having moved from a school that had several school teams and also being a part of the local team at kids level as well to having next to nothing down here. School only had/has links with the rugby club here but not the football club

Going to school in Hawick was terrible for football banter too. I only knew of one other Hearts fan, one or 2 Hibs fans and 1 Aberdeen fan.

Everyone else 'supported' Celtic or Rangers (wore the shirts, never seen them play) supported an English team (a lot of Geordie's in Hawick so Newcastle particularly common) or just didn't give a tosh about football.

letsalldothebeattie

Further development Lowland League have posted that they’ve agreed to postpone Selkirk’s Home match tomorrow against Edusport. 

letsalldothebeattie
1 minute ago, Locky said:

Going to school in Hawick was terrible for football banter too. I only knew of one other Hearts fan, one or 2 Hibs fans and 1 Aberdeen fan.

Everyone else 'supported' Celtic or Rangers (wore the shirts, never seen them play) supported an English team (a lot of Geordie's in Hawick so Newcastle particularly common) or just didn't give a tosh about football.

I know what you mean I had a small group of mates who were properly into football and others like you say supported the old firm but never went or saw them play but would perk up whenever we lost a game 

The Old Tolbooth
2 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Totally agree with this. The ambition from all border clubs was great but as you say the financial backing never followed. As has been stated it’s rugby country down here so nobody financially will look at football here especially when your not drawing massive crowds every other week. Add to that the influx of well run and more wealthier junior clubs will see Vale, Gala & Selkirk (if they don’t fold) slip down to EoS in the coming years. Which in reality I think is where they belong. They don’t have what it takes to compete with Kelty, Bonnyrigg etc coming into the senior game. Unfortunately that’s the sad reality of the state of the game down here. 

As a Gala man, that's pretty much where I see it too mate, the Borders clubs will really struggle to survive in the coming years as the junior clubs will flex their muscles and make sure it's very difficult for a borders club to get their head above the parapet. I know there's a very good structure at GFR now and I attend their player of the year bash and see just how much infrastructure they actually have, and what they're trying to do is very impressive, but at the end of the day it comes down to cold hard cash, and when you get a support of 2-300 for every game if you're lucky, you need to think outside the box a bit to generate income. 

It will be sad to see Selkirk FC folding if that ends up the case, there's always been a great rivalry there between us, and they wouldn't be the only club guilty of trying to reach for the stars and failing, I've seen Gala almost go under as well because of the same thing. 

letsalldothebeattie
2 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

As a Gala man, that's pretty much where I see it too mate, the Borders clubs will really struggle to survive in the coming years as the junior clubs will flex their muscles and make sure it's very difficult for a borders club to get their head above the parapet. I know there's a very good structure at GFR now and I attend their player of the year bash and see just how much infrastructure they actually have, and what they're trying to do is very impressive, but at the end of the day it comes down to cold hard cash, and when you get a support of 2-300 for every game if you're lucky, you need to think outside the box a bit to generate income. 

It will be sad to see Selkirk FC folding if that ends up the case, there's always been a great rivalry there between us, and they wouldn't be the only club guilty of trying to reach for the stars and failing, I've seen Gala almost go under as well because of the same thing. 

I agree totally. Gala do have a terrific set up and it’s maybe something that those at Selkirk should’ve looked at especially when it came to joining the Lowland league. As said when push comes to shove they will end up left behind when it comes to the juniors moving in and moving up. 

28 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

I know what you mean I had a small group of mates who were properly into football and others like you say supported the old firm but never went or saw them play but would perk up whenever we lost a game 

Exactly how it was for me mate.

Footballfirst

I sincerely hope that Selkirk don't go under, but if they are unable to fulfil their fixtures then they will have to go into abeyance for at least the rest of this season. and at best reform with a new committee and join the EoS at whatever the lowest tier is in 2019/20.

Given it is very early in the season I'd imagine that Selkirk's results would be expunged for this season and the Lowland League would continue with 15 teams.  Such a scenario would then leave the option open for the LL for either no relegation or to relegate one team and promote two from the EOS/SOL play-offs.  I think the latter option would be the better one as the pyramid is currently shaped more like an hour-glass with pinch points at the top and bottom of the LL.  The sooner we get to a position where there is much more open promotion and relegation possibilities, then the sooner that clubs will find their right levels. Otherwise there is a risk of some ambitious clubs with decent resources being thwarted because of one up/one down constraints.