Armed Forces Day

August Landmesser

Walter Bishop

Read the first page and that was enough. Some of our "fans" are a disgrace. 

Brilliant stuff from Ann Budge and Hearts and the military would and should be welcome anytime as far as im concerned.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scnorthedinburgh

• August Landmesser

• Elmore

• Strachsuit

Made a post and it doesn’t appear for some reason 

we should stop all this shit now and take a step back. 

The politicians have boosted their own bank accounts at the expense of all our support services in the UK. MEPs being the most  corrupt in relation to what we get in return. The expenses they receive is criminal imo

All services Pay rises are barely in line with inflation compared to MPs pay rises

Finance, manpower and working conditions have been butchered by all modern era governments regarding all the services .

So, let’s not just single out the Armed Forces, they don’t seek attention.

Being part of the Armed Forces Covenant is a civil thing to do and by all means celebrate it on Sunday, but know need to celebrate it every year thereafter 

FWIW I am ex Navy, and in general, forces personnel don’t seek any attention, but, our Armed Forces are at dangerously low levels of manpower that will impact national security 

HHGH

9 hours ago, Jodami said:

I will obviously be at the game on Sunday but already I am dreading the fact that it will probably be unionjacktastic. I might be wrongl said of course but if it is it will definitely affect my "fan experience". Against the backdrop of an increase in sectarianism in our support an armed forces day is dubious. Our closet mini huns have clearly got a semi about this already and I can see this being a green light for more of the same shit fans who watch us away from home have to witness. Disheartened at the club if I'm honest. 

Well said, top post. 

57 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Read the first page and that was enough. Some of our "fans" are a disgrace. 

Brilliant stuff from Ann Budge and Hearts and the military would and should be welcome anytime as far as im concerned.

Are you Stormin Norman? Why are some fans a disgrace for disagreeing with you? 

2 hours ago, maroonexile said:

What about Raith Rovers and their remembrance action? Could that not equally be considered pro-armed forces? Could be said that is very Raith Rovers by that comparison.

The difference being that Celtic are the sole team who are overtly anti-armed forces (fanbase).

Do you disagree with that analysis? And if so, why?

It's not just RR and Hearts who hold remembrance events at their games in November.

Nearly every club in the country joins in the remembrance.

I think you will find very few people criticising the remembrance service at the appropriate time of year.

The issue for me is that in recent years there has been a trend of celebrating just about every military event that ever happened. It seems nearly every week there is some kind of military event somewhere usually covered on TV.

It's just gone OTT and I don't think Hearts should be getting involved in something that many people see as political.

The fact that the decision to hold this event has caused so much anger and division among fans is a good reason for not having it in the first place.

7 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Seeing ex-servicemen and current servicemen rattling cans in shopping centres to raise funds for disabled servicemen who the politicians who sent them to war fail to properly provide for is upsetting. An armed forces day at Tynecastle (whatever that consists of) I can happily live with

What shopping centre and when exactly were current servicemen doing this?

At the last Armed Forces Day at Ibrox there were large military guns on display directly outside the ground. Would that be acceptable in the Plaza at Tynecastle? 

I have young 12/13yr olds family members who go to Tynecastle unaccompanied and we don't want them exposed to or influenced by military personnel - it's a football game FFS!!!..

Scnorthedinburgh
2 minutes ago, ADAM said:

At the last Armed Forces Day at Ibrox there were large military guns on display directly outside the ground. Would that be acceptable in the Plaza at Tynecastle? 

I have young 12/13yr olds family members who go to Tynecastle unaccompanied and we don't want them exposed to or influenced by military personnel - it's a football game FFS!!!..

I agree with you there but it's semantics

Armed forces day was June, hearts did hee haw to take part.

On Sunday as a business they are signing a charter that helps prevent discrimination against serving personnel and their family. And trust me that exists.

The club's fubbar was calling it armed forces day.

It's mental health day, homeless day and overlooked as you may move on every 24 months or so day.

Don't like the forces if that's your thing, bit this is not a victory parade. Far from it, it's hearts bringing another issue into the light

If you were happy when we backed erskine no difference now.

10 minutes ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

On Sunday as a business they are signing a charter that helps prevent discrimination against serving personnel and their family. And trust me that exists.

It's mental health day, homeless day and overlooked as you may move on every 24 months or so day.

Don't like the forces if that's your thing, bit this is not a victory parade. Far from it, it's hearts bringing another issue into the light

You illustrate the key objection in the points you make. The covenant is a good thing and we could have communicated this along the same lines as when we committed to the living wage. 

There is an armed forces day that the club ignored so why are we having our own armed forces day? What has it got to do with the club and why are we doing it? And for goodness sake please do not conflate the remembrance observation with an armed forces day. 

Scnorthedinburgh
3 minutes ago, Jodami said:

You illustrate the key objection in the points you make. The covenant is a good thing and we could have communicated this along the same lines as when we committed to the living wage. 

There is an armed forces day that the club ignored so why are we having our own armed forces day? What has it got to do with the club and why are we doing it? And for goodness sake please do not conflate the remembrance observation with an armed forces day. 

We are getting there. It's a label, call it covenant day and some idiots will go that's a bit Catholic sounding.

Club picked wrong moniker to hang on the day, you will get no argument from me over that.

Getting pissed off about wording is beside getting pissed off over a flag. It's the point, reason that counts.

10 minutes ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

No, I disagree. I think this is fundamentally different.

Hearts by signing the covenant will "nominate one home fixture per year as Armed Forces Day", is doesn't have to be on the UK national AFD date. Hearts have nominated this Sunday as their first AFD.

It's not just about employment/health issues (which noone would oppose), it's clearly stated in the statement that "a number of displays from all three services will be on the Foundation Plaza". It's as much a PR stunt to promote the Armed services in general, via football,  as it is to promote servicemen health care issues.

Look to Ibrox AFD for hard evidence of that.

Football in general and Tynecastle in particular is not the place for this show.

2 minutes ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

We are getting there. It's a label, call it covenant day and some idiots will go that's a bit Catholic sounding.

Club picked wrong moniker to hang on the day, you will get no argument from me over that.

Getting pissed off about wording is beside getting pissed off over a flag. It's the point, reason that counts.

An intelligent communication could have explained the value in the covenant without even calling it that. It could have been discussed at half time in the same manner as the rainbow laces day. 

I have reservations about the club's judgement on these matters so I will be interested to see just what happens on Sunday. 

Dear me I’m shaking my head in disbelief at what I’m reading,

glad I was brought up to respect our armed forces 

7 minutes ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

With the club agreeing to the wording 'armed forces day', this isn't down to semantics.  If there are any weapons on display on Sunday, would you object to it being held next year?  This is uncomfortable jingoism that the club seems to be getting involved in. 

5 minutes ago, Larky_Jambo said:

You can't understand why people have opposing views on this subject. As a previous poster pointed out, there were military weapons on display at Ibrox when they had a day like this. You're OK with that?

Scnorthedinburgh
6 minutes ago, ADAM said:

No, I disagree. I think this is fundamentally different.

Hearts by signing the covenant will "nominate one home fixture per year as Armed Forces Day", is doesn't have to be on the UK national AFD date. Hearts have nominated this Sunday as their first AFD.

It's not just about employment/health issues (which noone would oppose), it's clearly stated in the statement that "a number of displays from all three services will be on the Foundation Plaza". It's as much a PR stunt to promote the Armed services in general, via football,  as it is to promote servicemen health care issues.

Look to Ibrox AFD for hard evidence of that.

Football in general and Tynecastle in particular is not the place for this show.

1. Ibrox is not the litmus test

2. Neither of us know what form the forces on the plaza will present themself.

3.next year's afd may be a player partnering a ptsd service person to highlight that and get press attention. Or a ton of other things.

4. Did you complain about our erskine connection, that did so much to help them add value to their work.

5. If no to 4, fair enough at least you stick to your ideals.

6. Others see how Sunday goes.

Scnorthedinburgh
6 minutes ago, Elmore said:

With the club agreeing to the wording 'armed forces day', this isn't down to semantics.  If there are any weapons on display on Sunday, would you object to it being held next year?  This is uncomfortable jingoism that the club seems to be getting involved in. 

Points 1 2 3 4 on my other post.

Not being rude late didn't want to type again sorry.

You deserved a reply as your always polite.

3.next year's afd may be a player partnering a ptsd service person to highlight that and get press attention. Or a ton of other things.

4. Did you complain about our erskine connection, that did so much to help them add value to their work.

You can't compare this to things like Erskine and remembrance Sunday. Will you be comfortable if there are any military weapons on display?

davemclaren

As much as I’m ambivelent about all ths I do like to see military technology. Probably not on match day in the Plaza, or Piazza, though. ??‍♂️

1 minute ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

Points 1 2 3 4 on my other post.

Not being rude late didn't want to type again sorry.

You deserved a reply as your always polite.

OK. Thanks

Scnorthedinburgh
Just now, Elmore said:

You can't compare this to things like Erskine and remembrance Sunday. Will you be comfortable if there are any military weapons on display?

Honestly mate.

How old do you think the people being helped at erskine are? No idea how old you are but some are youngèr than me.

I think that makes it a pretty central question, are you pro or anti the club making money for erskine?

Honestly mate.

How old do you think the people being helped at erskine are? No idea how old you are but some are youngèr than me.

I think that makes it a pretty central question, are you pro or anti the club making money for erskine?

OK with the club supporting Erskine as it supports veterans who aren't getting the help they deserve from the government. Armed forces day is a completely different thing. Will you be comfortable with military weapons on display?  Not many will be. Why don't the club just get involved in national armed forces day?  You really should separate Erskine and remembrance Sunday from this issue. 

1 minute ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

Ibrox is hard evidence of how AFD's can be about more than just health care issues.

There shouldn't be any military displays outside football grounds, it's not the place for them. Football grounds are for football displays.

Next year may also see Ibrox style Royal Marines abseiling into Tynie from the Main Stand roof! Do you agree at that point we would call a halt to AFD?

I support Erskine, although what's that got to do with military displays at a football match?

27 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

As much as I’m ambivelent about all ths I do like to see military technology. Probably not on match day in the Plaza, or Piazza, though. ??‍♂️

You can't beat Sammy the Tammy's tank at Dunfermline v Raith!

https://youtu.be/aZSrd4y1c-E

2 hours ago, ADAM said:

Haha. What exactly is it that you are worried about a 12/13 year old seeing.. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Larky_Jambo said:

:cornette_dog:

I'm so glad I moved out of the UK a few years ago, Jesus wow everyone is so easily offended.

How anyone would not want an active show of support for the military is beyond me. It's not their choice when war occurs but when it does they are amongst the best in the world.

Yes we should have an NHS day. Yes we should have a Police day. And a fire service day. But to even contemplate not having an armed services day (with our history!) because of a lack of the other days is lunacy.

People will bring union flags? On this occasion it makes no other statement other than we support the men and women of our armed forces. So good, I hope everyone does. The next week? They should be left at home.

The problem with the UK/Scotland at the moment is the passion for this type of thing (see: Trump visit) isnt replicated into things that actually matter (see: Brexit).

FTH.

Nookie Bear
6 hours ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

Honestly mate.

Raising money for Erskine is a clear and tangible way the club can help. 

What will signjng the covenant actually lead to Hearts doing differently (or better)?         What are the consequences if they don’t?

John Findlay
4 hours ago, RussAsia said:

12/13 yr old who has probably played call of duty on their playstation  or xbox a thousand times. He'll they will be traumatised for life if they see an actual rifle or machine gun. What a load of tripe.

The Real Maroonblood

Remember as a kid in the 50’s the military always had a day in the Meadows.

it was brilliant.

Anyone else remember this?

Walter Bishop
6 hours ago, Elmore said:

You can't understand why people have opposing views on this subject. As a previous poster pointed out, there were military weapons on display at Ibrox when they had a day like this. You're OK with that?

And? 

Military weapons are generally associated with the armed forces. Its ok though i doubt they will turn them on the crowd so i reckon your safe.

Walter Bishop
7 hours ago, ADAM said:

What a shambles of a post. 

You should be telling your 12/13 year olds to embrace the occasion and to show their respect for the men and woman who defend this country, Some making the ultimate sacrifice so the likes of ignorant people like yourself can live the life you want to. 

I am embarrassed by some of the stuff being written on this thread.  

7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Fully agree Dave! Who doesn’t like seeing big guns!  :lol: 

5 hours ago, RussAsia said:

Army rectuitment is something a lot of parents dread.  With all the respect in the world to the guys who do so I wouldn’t be able to sleep if any of my children joined the forces. 

Section G The Place To Be
7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

You may be into something here. Maybe we could test out the military technology on the  Rangers, Celtic and Hibs fans when they come? Maybe even throw in some of the rabid anti-forces Republican brigade that has been building within our support recently. Snipers on the Gorgie stand roof. Sell pies laced with some new chemical or biological agents. Although most abnormalities wouldn’t be noticed within that lot.

18 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

You should be telling your 12/13 year olds to embrace the occasion and to show their respect for the men and woman who defend this country, Some making the ultimate sacrifice so the likes of ignorant people like yourself can live the life you want to. 

What about a 12/13 year old who see the “cool army” at Tynie, the place they love most and get it into their heads that’s what they want to do when they get a bit older? 

Walter Bishop
4 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

What about a 12/13 year old who see the “cool army” at Tynie, the place they love most and get it into their heads that’s what they want to do when they get a bit older? 

And? Whether it was at Tynecastle or on a news report, If my son came to me and said he would luke to join the army i would encourage him and be very proud of him. 

Sexton Hardcastle

The reaction from the pro side on twitter and on here to an extent kind of backs up why it was a dubious idea.

Makes the club look silly regardless.

5 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

And? Whether it was at Tynecastle or on a news report, If my son came to me and said he would luke to join the army i would encourage him and be very proud of him. 

Thats you personally though.  So there’s no “and?” about it.  

Phil Dunphy
1 minute ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

The reaction from the pro side on twitter and on here to an extent kind of backs up why it was a dubious idea.

Makes the club look silly regardless.

The reaction from those against the idea has been ott too. It’s such a sad argument. 

Sexton Hardcastle
Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

The reaction from those against the idea has been ott too. It’s such a sad argument. 

Absolutely. Both sides predictable so again puts more question on who pushed through the idea at Hearts without considering this type of reaction from both sides. Your average man could see it coming so surely a PR man could?

22 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

More utterly ridiculous outrage with the usual dramatic ultimate sacrifice thrown in for good measure. 

In the real world people think for themselves and ask questions, including young adults. This is not ignorance, it's a basic right. The armed forces is a job that people choose and like many others I think the covenant is a good idea as it can be difficult to adjust when your service career ends. However, an armed forces day each year specifically for the club is symbolic on a number of levels that many people are uncomfortable with. They feel it should have nothing to do with Hearts in the way that the club actively supporting or rejecting independence should have nothing to do with the club. 

Importantly this should have nothing to do with the observation of respect for the former players who lost their lives in both world wars. We do that at the appropriate time and can reflect ourselves on what we personally feel about that subject. 

45 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Ignore this. You should teach your 12/13 year olds to show their respect to people regardless of their job. 

Edited by Taffin

Phil Dunphy
2 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Absolutely. Both sides predictable so again puts more question on who pushed through the idea at Hearts without considering this type of reaction from both sides. Your average man could see it coming so surely a PR man could?

I had a discussion with another supporter at the game on Tuesday about the flag Bobby Burns family made up for him. If you haven’t seen it, it’s a maroon saltire with a red hand in the middle and it has ‘Ulster Jambos’ across the bottom. Caused somewhat of a stir among a section of our supporters. 

Their point was that you shouldn’t have the word Ulster on there as some people would take issue with that, seeing it as a Rangers-y thing. Change it to ‘Northern Ireland Jambos’ instead. i.e. Let ingnorant people have their way. 

It’s the same here. It’s not fair for Hearts to say no to something like this because ignorant people are going to get all worked up about it. On either side. 

7 hours ago, Larky_Jambo said:

FFS Nobody is disrespecting the armed forces.

Some us are just making the point that football matches are not the places to hold these events. They could have signed up to the covenant without letting Tynecastle be used for yet another military event.

There seems to be AF events just about every weekend these days somewhere in UK.

Remembrance day is different imo I wear my poppy with pride at that time and remember the men and women who gave their lives they had no choice in the matter. My father served in Burma so I'm well aware of the sacrifices made, he was never the same man after that and suffered from PTSD they just called it a nervous breakdown in those days and the government did zip for these guys. A land fit for heroes dinnae  get me started. The modern AF is a career choice and although we appreciate the job they do the same respect goes to other essential services. Why don't we have special days for them as well ?

Scnorthedinburgh
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Raising money for Erskine is a clear and tangible way the club can help. 

What will signjng the covenant actually lead to Hearts doing differently (or better)?         What are the consequences if they don’t?

If they don't nothing.

But the service people we help at erskine may wonder why the nice people at hearts don't think current service people and their families deserve the same protection from discrimination as other parts of society where legislation protects them.

Signing up for one things means hearts guarantee to protect the job and career of any reservists they employ.

The biggest employer in the UK signed up to this, you will use their services from time to time. If this realy gets to you so much start giving them grief as well.

For all you know erskine will be involved on Sunday, organisations signing the covenant benefits the people they help.

Nookie Bear

If they don't nothing.

But the service people we help at erskine may wonder why the nice people at hearts don't think current service people and their families deserve the same protection from discrimination as other parts of society where legislation protects them.

Signing up for one things means hearts guarantee to protect the job and career of any reservists they employ.

The biggest employer in the UK signed up to this, you will use their services from time to time. If this realy gets to you so much start giving them grief as well.

For all you know erskine will be involved on Sunday, organisations signing the covenant benefits the people they help.

But Hearts should be protecting the job and career of everyone they employ, and each employes personal circumstances should always be taken seriously. Paying living wage is part of that, and i am proud we do so.

How are Hearts potentially discriminating against current or ex-service people?

Scnorthedinburgh
7 hours ago, ADAM said:

Ibrox is hard evidence of how AFD's can be about more than just health care issues.

There shouldn't be any military displays outside football grounds, it's not the place for them. Football grounds are for football displays.

Next year may also see Ibrox style Royal Marines abseiling into Tynie from the Main Stand roof! Do you agree at that point we would call a halt to AFD?

I support Erskine, although what's that got to do with military displays at a football match?

So having service people at games for free and on the pitch as part of our erskine year was wrong?

I take it you missed the number of soldiers at various games to promote the partnership?

The hearts legends team regularly play forces teams to raise funds, awareness.

Don't see complaints then.

Robo outside the stand in a patrol vehicle both him and Sanderson in helmets?

Scnorthedinburgh
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

But Hearts should be protecting the job and career of everyone they employ, and each employes personal circumstances should always be taken seriously. Paying living wage is part of that, and i am proud we do so.

How are Hearts potentially discriminating against current or ex-service people?

At no point did I say they do. But as this thread shows it has raised awareness, for good or bad, that service people and their families have less protection in law from discrimination than other groups.

And are you going to start complaining to the largest employer in the UK (And world) that they signed up against your wishes, as you do pay a part of their wages.

Or only football and the covenant don't mix?

Nookie Bear

At no point did I say they do. But as this thread shows it has raised awareness, for good or bad, that service people and their families have less protection in law from discrimination than other groups.

And are you going to start complaining to the largest employer in the UK (And world) that they signed up against your wishes, as you do pay a part of their wages.

Or only football and the covenant don't mix?

I take it you are referring to the NHS. The NHS has a much closer interest in the health and wellbeing of servicemen, in particular when it comes to their mental health problems, so it's only right they recognise that.

Quite why we need to it is beyond me so the answer to your last question is probably "no".

Another PR disaster from the club.  Sending emails to young lads telling them to reconsider the name “Gorgie boys” then launching an armed forces day that will be hikacked by the hello hello, Union Jack waving billy boys. We as a club pay more respect to our past sacrifices etc and to previous war efforts than most clubs. The soldier on the walk way, the memorial garden, the remeberence service, the plaque on the new stand, the museum and the continual links and ties to macreas battalion are all more than enough for me, subtle and dignified. Inviting this type of event and the sort of “fan” that it will attract is a wrong step in my opinion. Hopefully the day passes off as a non event other than a nice day for the people of the armed forces and we can reevaluate if there is another way to celebrate our past.