Waghorn to Derby for £8m

jambovambo

Heartsofgold
1 minute ago, loveofthegame said:

English football can go **** itself.

It already has mate.  £8 Million for a striker that did **** all in our 2nd Division far less the top one.  Pathetic.

Pox Doctor's Clerk
3 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

It already has mate.  £8 Million for a striker that did **** all in our 2nd Division far less the top one.  Pathetic.

Correct. Quite unbelievable 

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Don't get why it matters what he did up here. He's proven himself in the championship. 

That doesn't suprise me. Always thought he looked decent at Rangers

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Don't get why it matters what he did up here. He's proven himself in the championship. 

Was going to ask if he scored many for Ipswich? Take it he must have done okay. 

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
18 minutes ago, jambovambo said:

12 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

English football can go **** itself.

10 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

This is presumably why Hibs have tossed off the reported £2M from Celtic for McGinn.  With this kind of money being thrown around, they clearly think they can get more from English teams.

7 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I think it matters because they think there is a gulf in class between the bottom three leagues in england compared to the whole of Scottish football.  A guy who was shite up here going for that much down there should quell the myth that Scottish football is easy. I doubt it, though it should. A guy who struggled up here goes for eight million after toiling up here, and you think why does it matter?  Off course it matters. 

Everton have paid £50m for a guy I have never heard of.  Will guarantee he will be no great shakes.

It's an absolute circus and I'll take our league against their's any day of the week.

What it shows is that prices in the English league seem to be vastly inflated.

That could well work in our favour if Callum Paterson keeps banging goals in for Cardiff now that they are in the EPL.  If Waghorn is worth £8m as a Championship player, how much would Callum be worth if he proves himself as a goal scoring midfielder in the EPL?  And we stand to gain 15% of any future transfer fee.

4 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Everton have paid £50m for a guy I have never heard of.  Will guarantee he will be no great shakes.

It's an absolute circus and I'll take our league against their's any day of the week.

I've seen Richarlison albeit just on MoTD and you could probably make about 50m sending in some of his misses to You've Been Framed. He's absolutely shocking.

3 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

English football feels hugely synthetic just now. Its been going that way for over ten years now, and I can't see it ever going back to what it was. The championship down there still feels like real football. Above that it is nothing more than 'good' marketing. Brighton V Huddersfield on a Tuesday night is a really big attraction. Does anybody think this change for the better with sky sports beginning to implode, or will BT sports just plug that gap?

Heartsofgold
2 minutes ago, Elmore said:

English football feels hugely synthetic just now. Its been going that way for over ten years now, and I can't see it ever going back to what it was. The championship down there still feels like real football. Above that it is nothing more than 'good' marketing. Brighton V Huddersfield on a Tuesday night is a really big attraction. Does anybody think this change for the better with sky sports beginning to implode, or will BT sports just plug that gap?

If/when Comcast or the Murdochs take full control of Sky (especially if its Comcast) the subscription prices will go through the roof over the next couple of years.  European cable coverage is still a massive growth area where as the US is saturated and unbelievably expensive, especially the sports packages.  I can see a lot of UK subscribers very quickly marching with their feet.   

Cruyff Turn
14 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Too right, did you see that Shankly doc on bbc2 the othernight?,  even the Liverpool fans have had enough, despite their club obviously benefiting from the finances.

Most of those guys, diehards, can't afford to go to the games, the players are far removed from the community, all it is about is money, money money.

Liverpool's owners and no doubt other owners (West ham come to mind), are more concerned about their image, around the world and attracting investment & supporters from the US & and Asia than the actual real fans of the club. 

The bubble will burst one day, look at the Italian sides, Parma, Napoli, Fiorentina etc.., they all had to do a Sevco because when the TV money dried up, they were skint and couldn't compete anymore. 

With Ronaldo at Juve, maybe if the Italian sides can start bringing the best players back, English football will lose investment and interest, & maybe, the fans will get their clubs back. 

even though Scottish football is so frustrating and all the rest, I wouldn't swap it to become some plastic football capitalist conglomerate.

How the **** can that ****ing joke of a football player sell for 8 mil ?. Really ? Really? The whole thing is ****ed. If/ when we sell Harry, going by that deal, he's got to go for 20 or 25 mil, surely. Waghorn ? ****in Waghorn ? 

1 minute ago, Juanjo15 said:

Can you just imagine how much Paterson is going to go for? :) Waghorn is horse shit. 

Luvvly jubbly

:wonga:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I thought Waghorn is one of the best of the hunners of players Rangers have gone through since they started. 

1 hour ago, jambovambo said:

Read the article -  it says Lampard could spend up to £8M to sign the guy. He could but he won't. Derby don't have a pot to piss in. The same article says they might sell Vydra to free up some money. In which case Vydra is worth £20M as he is some player. Looks like another agent story planted to get a deal from some where. IMO. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

This is presumably why Hibs have tossed off the reported £2M from Celtic for McGinn.  With this kind of money being thrown around, they clearly think they can get more from English teams.

They’ve had three bids for him, nobody in England wants him or they would’ve signed him by now.

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

As I keep on saying the Championship isn’t actually that good.

Aye but as long as some dick at an English club was paying him big wages, that makes the transfer fee reasonable.

:facepalm:

We clearly shouldn’t be expecting similarly over-inflated fees for better players than him too. Not unless we pay them insane wages...

:rofl:

There is a balance to be struck.  I'd like to see our administrators negotiate decent commercial deals to help finance our clubs.  

What I don't want is billionaires buying our clubs as toys to play with.  It's highly regrettable that we're still stuck with rangers and Celtic.  If only they would leave our game would be competitive and fantastic.  They would not be missed.  Quite the opposite.

This guy Everton have bought has cost around 33 years of FoH subs or 800 years of HSL subs.

Scandalous.

Tommy Brown

Who was the loan player Aberdeen had 2 seasons ago? I think from Norwich.

He was to be sold for £12m (****ing hell, he signed for Leicester for £24m)

James Maddison

45 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Who was the loan player Aberdeen had 2 seasons ago? I think from Norwich.

He was to be sold for £12m (****ing hell, he signed for Leicester for £24m)

James Maddison

Add in another loan player they had, Ward the Liverpool keeper.

Now age 25/26 played 3 EPL games and one season in championship on loan 2 years ago and has just signed for Leicester for £12.5m. Which must be in the top 20 fees ever paid for a keeper. 

Average players making a fortune out the game, players who had decent time in Scottish football but not the top players in the league within a year or two moving for millions. 

But it all the English Twitter media want to do is slag off Scottish football about Rooney going to Salford from the top league in Scotland - missing the point that he played the least amount of minutes for Aberdeen last season that he did in last 5 seasons. So no doubt Aberdeen couldn’t believe a club offered money and rightly said ‘we want to keep him’ while Salford paid more than they needed to. 

7 hours ago, whodanny said:

How the **** can that ****ing joke of a football player sell for 8 mil ?. Really ? Really? The whole thing is ****ed. If/ when we sell Harry, going by that deal, he's got to go for 20 or 25 mil, surely. Waghorn ? ****in Waghorn ? 

Who the **** is Waghorn....

7 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

I thought Waghorn is one of the best of the hunners of players Rangers have gone through since they started. 

Who the other striker that went with him to Ipswich?  Garner? I thought he was better down there? 

grumpy rebus
7 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

If I had a pound for every time someone posted that on jkb I could buy sky!

It’s not a bubble it’s a ****ing money making machine. Hence why so many mega rich people want to get involved in it.

On waghorn I agree with poster said it doesn’t matter what he did up here. He’s been pretty damn effective at Ipswich. 

It very much is a bubble, much like the tech boom of the late 90’s are various property “booms” we’ve seen. The growth is unsustainable and that only means one of 2 things. Either:-

a rapid “revaluation”

or 

a period of no growth where the real, underlying value of the “product” catches up. 

grumpy rebus
8 hours ago, Elmore said:

I posted something similar to this on Spellczech’s thread about benefactors. 

We've seen it here and also Italy. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday, the bubble will deflate. 

Looked good up here then Rangers started chucking him out on the wing to accommodate Miller.Played through the middle he looked a powerful bull type player.

14 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Ipswich fans loved him when he arrived there... couldn’t believe they got him for next to nothing. 

Hagar the Horrible
9 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Ipswich fans loved him when he arrived there... couldn’t believe they got him for next to nothing. 

Must have been a square peg in a round hole up here, as I though he was average,  £100k tops, but he might have found his place better so good luck to him

6 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Looked good up here then Rangers started chucking him out on the wing to accommodate Miller.Played through the middle he looked a powerful bull type player.

Always thought it was Garner that cost him his place when The Rangers returned to the top flight, not because Garner was a better but because they'd spend the best part of £2m on him so Garner played. Despite being quite similar players Garners games per goal was 4.4 at Rangers compared with Waghorns goal every 2.1 games and since they both went to ipswich waghorn has continued to score more than Garner with a goal every 2.75 games to garners 3.2

Lampard going a bit daft with the budget? I doubt Rangers got more than £1m for him so one season in Championship with a ratio of just over 1 goal every 3 games suddenly makes him worth 8 times as much? He looked ok, and was right to be miffed at Rangers not really giving him a shot in SPL especially given how goalshy Garner and Miller were...but £8m? Nope.

buzzbomb1958
2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Did Dave King think of a sell on clause :lol:

Wouldn't think so they sold him to pay their leccy bill

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Its being growing since 1992 and never abated in 16 years that’s not a bubble. In reality it was growing rapidly before that hence the formation of the EPL.

The property market isn’t a bubble either. 

When a bubble burst it can’t be reinflated.

Property is still rising and seen as a sound investment . There always adjustments periods but that doesn’t make it a bubble. 

Maybe semantics. . 

26, no?

2 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Must have been a square peg in a round hole up here, as I though he was average,  £100k tops, but he might have found his place better so good luck to him

Guy I know who supports town was pleased with him and Garner at the start. They were scoring at the start of the season.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Guy I know who supports town was pleased with him and Garner at the start. They were scoring at the start of the season.

Did they play as a front two for Ipswich, it was one up front and one wide for the Huns.

I saw the Sheffield United manager say £8-10m is their valuation and it certainly wasn’t his ?

58 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Lampard going a bit daft with the budget? I doubt Rangers got more than £1m for him so one season in Championship with a ratio of just over 1 goal every 3 games suddenly makes him worth 8 times as much? He looked ok, and was right to be miffed at Rangers not really giving him a shot in SPL especially given how goalshy Garner and Miller were...but £8m? Nope.

Since Waghorn left Sevco the TV money for EFL clubs has exploded. The desperation of some clubs to get promotion to the EPL is incredible (Derby are one of those clubs) but they don't have £8 million and Waghorn isn't even their first choice. at the moment. ITKers (mate is a Derby fan) saying club will not pay £8M but if it does it there will be a lot of add ons to inflate the price. 

15 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Since Waghorn left Sevco the TV money for EFL clubs has exploded. The desperation of some clubs to get promotion to the EPL is incredible (Derby are one of those clubs) but they don't have £8 million and Waghorn isn't even their first choice. at the moment. ITKers (mate is a Derby fan) saying club will not pay £8M but if it does it there will be a lot of add ons to inflate the price. 

Poisoned chalice is it not? If the money is now there in EFL why blow it all on a promotion push if the gap is reduced? Or is it a Catch 22? The fans will ironically be more content in a season where they just miss promotion but win most weeks compared to a dreadful season of watching their team get tanked and relegated from EPL...Have the likes of Derby all got such good stadia and academies that they need to spunk increased TV revenue on transfer fees? In answer to my own question, clearly the Academies not not producing the players to gain promotion so answer must be no. I guess it must be frustrating if you are a club like Derby, Forest or Villa and you know your own history at European level not just domestic, yet see the likes of Huddersfield, Cardiff and Burnley in the EPL?

Regardless, the more you look at how other clubs are run, the more you recognise how well Hearts are being run nowadays...

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

**** me that embarrassing ?

However, yes even more reaffirms the point it’s not a bubble. It’s ****ing recession and global financial crisis proof lol.

That's what I thought. ? Strengthens your point massively. 

PeterintheRain
21 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

If I had a pound for every time someone posted that on jkb I could buy sky!

It’s not a bubble it’s a ****ing money making machine. Hence why so many mega rich people want to get involved in it.

On waghorn I agree with poster said it doesn’t matter what he did up here. He’s been pretty damn effective at Ipswich. 

Would you like to buy a Tulip?

kirkierobroy

Saw a thing today which suggested that Sevco could get some sort of £800k sell-on fee if he goes.

Of course, that might have been instigated by a Fatty Traynor press release.