JKB pre-season optimism

davie1980

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

The manager has still to find his strongest team because of all the comings and goings from last season.

Still should have enough to beat Raith Rovers though which we would have but for a dodgy referee.

On your point about trolls I see that AOA now has his accomplice back you know the other one who wanted Hibs to beat us. Not a word since April and back now.

We will just have to ensure that they are constantly reminded of that. Totally unacceptable for any Hearts supporter to want that. That is if they are actually Hearts supporters. I have my doubts. Their credibility on here is totally shot.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• merseyjambo

• davie1980

• fast_blood

Top Posters In This Topic

By the light
4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Stevie Mallan? Scotland U21 international and a great set piece taker. If Hibs can afford him surely we could too no?

Stevie Mallan who was relegated at St Mirren and couldn’t get his game making only made 9 appearances for a relegated Barnsley team?

That proven pedigree and quality?

Enzo Chiefo
3 minutes ago, By the light said:

Stevie Mallan who was relegated at St Mirren and couldn’t get his game making only made 9 appearances for a relegated Barnsley team?

Yes that's him. We could equally say "Jake Mulraney, who couldn't get a game for relegated Inverness and who Robbo wanted shot of...that pedigree and quality???

3 minutes ago, By the light said:

Off topic but I'm just curious does anybody know if there was any particular reason he flopped at Barnsley ?

Injuries or what ?

He seemed a good prospect before he went down there.

Nookie Bear
20 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

That’s it in an absolute nutshell. After every poor result every thread becomes dominated with over-reactionary posts by the same posters:

-those who hate Levein

-those who have unrealistic expectations

The sheer volume of these posts means the more balanced posts by fans who are disappointed with the result but can still retain a sense of perspective get buried. Posters who understand that every team has poor results and don’t write off players based on one performance.

One thing I’ve learned is there’s no point in trying to engage with the former, especially immediately after the match when their rage is at its hottest. Best to leave them to it. 

It may be a relatively new team but we have had poor results since Robbie left and this is just a hangover from that.

Over the summer we signed a group of players that many on here were bigging up,  saying that “Levein must see something in him”, like he is a modern day Brian Clough. Personally I think we have signed average players at best. The positivity was through the roof  (by the way, the only ones with unrealistic expectations are the ones say we will finish 3rd, no problem. Why not call them out on it?)

That was a Cup Final for us yesterday and we were poor. If we want to be successful then we have 38 cup finals coming up in the league - we need to pull our socks up. 

We have ICT reserves out of position at wing back. We end up with a centre half in midfield when we have Edwards on the bench. We are slow, have little creativity in midfield and still look weak in there as well.

I don’t hate Levein, I just don’t rate him anymore. 

I don’t have unrealistic expectations. I think we will be pushing for 4th at very best, but only because Killie will probably slump. 

Feel free to ram ram these words down my throat at end of season. 

By the light
Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes that's him. We could equally say "Jake Mulraney, who couldn't get a game for relegated Inverness and who Robbo wanted shot of...that pedigree and quality???

Totally agree. I actually think Mallan has the potential to be a good signing. My point was that if we’d signed Mallan that’s the party line folk would be wheeling out about it before he’s even kicked a ball for us. Some folk just want to criticise, pick holes regardless. 

Nookie Bear
Just now, By the light said:

Totally agree. I actually think Mallan has the potential to be a good signing. My point was that if we’d signed Mallan that’s the party line folk would be wheeling out about it before he’s even kicked a ball for us. Some folk just want to criticise, pick holes regardless. 

Or they would have been saying “I always thought he stood out for St Mirren”, “Levein must see something in him”. 

Nobody really knows anything tbh

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You've just proven the guy's point!! He asked for an example of proven quality. Mallan, like it or not, isn't proven quality. 

He didn't suggest Mulraney was either. 

The fact of the matter is, most of the starting 11 yesterday played poorly. Including our senior players like Naismith, Lafferty and Berra. So proof the signing better quality doesn't guarantee you a win. 

Enzo Chiefo
2 minutes ago, By the light said:

Yes agreed BTL.

rick witter
25 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

We have the measure of Aberdeen now and Hibs won't lay a glove on us.

There is much, much more to come from this squad and one pish performance doesn't change that.  Levein will have learned a lot about his players yesterday.

What he would have learned is that some of the new guys were way off being good enough.  If we can’t create numerous chances against a team 2 leagues below us until we bring on young guys who were already at the club we are in trouble. Guys like Lee and Mulraney are in for a huge shock when we start playing decent teams as that was way below what’s required. 

Yes it’s only 1 match but most people on here said we would sail through this group. 

Funny how we played 3-5-2 all the way through pre season but it wasn’t until we went 4-4-2 with Morrisson and McDonald as wide players we actually looked like we would score. 

48 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

That’s it in an absolute nutshell. After every poor result every thread becomes dominated with over-reactionary posts by the same posters:

-those who hate Levein

-those who have unrealistic expectations

The sheer volume of these posts means the more balanced posts by fans who are disappointed with the result but can still retain a sense of perspective get buried. Posters who understand that every team has poor results and don’t write off players based on one performance.

One thing I’ve learned is there’s no point in trying to engage with the former, especially immediately after the match when their rage is at its hottest. Best to leave them to it. 

Must be the only fans' site where being accused of being positive about the team you support is seen as a slur.  

Players one day are a real find; the next day they're worse than what they've replaced.

If you were to to say that the usual tadgers (and even a certain Hibs to win Derby tadger couldn't resist slithering out from exile) were nursing a semi, they'd probably be straight on to say it's the only semi they'll see.

Edited by Haken

rick witter
8 minutes ago, fast_blood said:

You've just proven the guy's point!! He asked for an example of proven quality. Mallan, like it or not, isn't proven quality. 

He didn't suggest Mulraney was either. 

The fact of the matter is, most of the starting 11 yesterday played poorly. Including our senior players like Naismith, Lafferty and Berra. So proof the signing better quality doesn't guarantee you a win. 

26 minutes ago, Barack said:

No, I agree. 

Personally, (and he's admitted they might need a lot of goals) I'd be slightly vexed if we don't play 3 upfront. Or a variant of it. MacLean & Lafferty with Naismith in behind, etc.

Doubt we'll be having a 10-0 repeat. But if Levein's torn into them, as has be intimated, there better be a reaction in an attacking sense. Competition for places is meant to keep them on their toes. If someone's being half-arsed, then they should be dropped. I include Lafferty in that. One thing about MacLean, to my knowledge, is he hasn't been accused of being disinterested in a game.

All hypothetical though, until Monday afternoon. 

Totally agree and expect to see at least McLean and Edwards start. Lafferty can have no complaints if dropped. 

Edited by rick witter

1 minute ago, rick witter said:

Totally agree with this. So it’s the manager wh

Sorry mate. What was the rest of the sentence going to be?

Before you blame Levein, it's the individual having the poor game that is at fault. Levein can give them all the tools and information needed to play to a game plan or formation but, at the end of the day, if the player has an off day it's their fault. 

Enzo Chiefo
5 minutes ago, fast_blood said:

Sorry mate. What was the rest of the sentence going to be?

Before you blame Levein, it's the individual having the poor game that is at fault. Levein can give them all the tools and information needed to play to a game plan or formation but, at the end of the day, if the player has an off day it's their fault. 

But it's "the tools and information needed to play to a game plan or formation" that's the problem. Players are having poor games because they are played out of position in systems that don't function. With one or two exceptions, the players do not get the chance to settle into a position and get used to playing alongside their teammates because the management continually tinker unnecessarily with the team. The buck stops with the manager.

By the light
20 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Or they would have been saying “I always thought he stood out for St Mirren”, “Levein must see something in him”. 

The reasonable majority would yes. No doubt in my mind the very vocal minority would’ve been saying he’s a flop, crock, dud, failure before he’d even kicked a ball or after 1 crap performance

All Out Attack
32 minutes ago, Barack said:

No, I agree. 

Personally, (and he's admitted they might need a lot of goals) I'd be slightly vexed if we don't play 3 upfront. Or a variant of it. MacLean & Lafferty with Naismith in behind, etc.

Doubt we'll be having a 10-0 repeat. But if Levein's torn into them, as has be intimated, there better be a reaction in an attacking sense. Competition for places is meant to keep them on their toes. If someone's being half-arsed, then they should be dropped. I include Lafferty in that. One thing about MacLean, to my knowledge, is he hasn't been accused of being disinterested in a game.

All hypothetical though, until Monday afternoon. 

Whilst unusually agreeing with a lot of this, you have pretty much hit the nail on the head as to why Levein is not the answer. 

If he can adopt the attacking formation at home, why can't he just do it away as well. 

It was Raith yesterday and Cove previously, COVE....

There is no more room for excuses from well meaning folk on here, we need to get our act together. 

Someone suggested earlier that we were as bad as back in the 70's. Having witnessed that, I can assure you that we are not even close, however our owner is letting us drift into a similar pattern, which is worrying. 

Failure to qualify whatever for whatever reason, must prompt a wholesale management change. 

We must not make the same mistake as under Cathro and hold onto him too long. That could takes years to fix. 

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

But it's "the tools and information needed to play to a game plan or formation" that's the problem. Players are having poor games because they are played out of position in systems that don't function. With one or two exceptions, the players do not get the chance to settle into a position and get used to playing alongside their teammates because the management continually tinker unnecessarily with the team. The buck stops with the manager.

Was Berra playing out of position?

Was Naismith? Was Lafferty?

Bozanic and Lee too? 

I'd hazard a guess that these things are worked on in training so I don't buy into what you're saying? 

I'm not suggesting Levein is 100% blameless however you seem to put all the blame on him. I know you don't like him. Christ, we all know that but we were left terribly short due to injuries last season so he has to stretch his limited budget. 

It's crazy how quickly people turn on the team after 1 bad performance. 

merseyjambo
1 hour ago, Finlay James said:

There is much, much more to come from this squad and one pish performance doesn't change that.  Levein will have learned a lot about his players yesterday.

Hibs wont lay a glove on us. Hahahahahahaha. That really is a good one. 

At present they’ll be 15 plus points ahead of us again. 

Where is this optimism that we’re going to be closer to second than those 2 coming from. Mulraney??? Garrucho??? Bozanic??? 

The flaws and the deficiencies from last season still haven’t been rectified. We are still slow in the build up, afraid to take a pop at goal and have no pace/width.

merseyjambo
49 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Off topic but I'm just curious does anybody know if there was any particular reason he flopped at Barnsley ?

Injuries or what ?

He seemed a good prospect before he went down there.

Barnsley are a basket case of a club. Chinese consortium bought them, change of manager. 

Brighton Jambo
11 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

We have every right to be angry.  I am a huge optimist and I am extremely disappointed - again.

Hearts would test the patience of a saint.

It's one game, and second game of the season at that.  Angry is a ridiculous word to use at this stage 

Brighton Jambo
11 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

We have every right to be angry.  I am a huge optimist and I am extremely disappointed - again.

Hearts would test the patience of a saint.

It's one game, and second game of the season at that.  Angry is a ridiculous word to use at this stage 

11 hours ago, daveyhmfc said:

When does the club close down? The overreaction on this forum is predictable.  i am sure that some supporters want to see us fail. 

There has to be a balance somewhere though! So it’s okay to over react and say x y z player is going to be brilliant based on absolutely feck all and we will do a lot better based on very very little but when based on last years peformances and yesterday’s game it’s not okay to say very little looks to have changed?  I hope Doyle is better in goal because we are actually poorer at this moment than last year although the shining light seems to be another year emergence of the younger players and in actually looking forward to seeing more and more of them.  

Finlay James
52 minutes ago, rick witter said:

What he would have learned is that some of the new guys were way off being good enough.  If we can’t create numerous chances against a team 2 leagues below us until we bring on young guys who were already at the club we are in trouble. Guys like Lee and Mulraney are in for a huge shock when we start playing decent teams as that was way below what’s required. 

Yes it’s only 1 match but most people on here said we would sail through this group. 

Funny how we played 3-5-2 all the way through pre season but it wasn’t until we went 4-4-2 with Morrisson and McDonald as wide players we actually looked like we would score. 

You do realize that clubs change formations to suit the circumstances all the time don't you?  We're not the first to do this.

13 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Still confident it will be better than last year

Where I am. Gotta be better than yesterday though. Got to work harder and dominate games

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yep, exactly how the majority felt when signing Ryan Edwards very little slagged him off and are willing to give him a chance.  Mallan would have been a good signing though that can’t be denied, instead we have taken gambles and will reply on our fantastic youngsters to produce it seems. 

The usual suspects out in force desperate for failure as usual. 

What a bizarre mindset and it's little wonder they're now physically attached to the internet.

2 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

Yep, exactly how the majority felt when signing Ryan Edwards very little slagged him off and are willing to give him a chance.  Mallan would have been a good signing though that can’t be denied, instead we have taken gambles and will reply on our fantastic youngsters to produce it seems. 

Out of interest, how do you know Mallan would've been a good signing? 

Is he better than what we have?

Just now, fast_blood said:

Out of interest, how do you know Mallan would've been a good signing? 

Is he better than what we have?

He was fantastic at St Mirren.  Better than the players we have brought in so far?  Pretty much a no brainer.  When people say Ryan Edwards will be a good signing you reckon everyone got questioned “why do you think he will be a good signing”?  Mallan was wanted by a host of clubs before he went down South.  I’m hoping the players we bring through are of similar quality though! Cochrane should push on and be so this year. 

3 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

He was fantastic at St Mirren.  Better than the players we have brought in so far?  Pretty much a no brainer.  When people say Ryan Edwards will be a good signing you reckon everyone got questioned “why do you think he will be a good signing”?  Mallan was wanted by a host of clubs before he went down South.  I’m hoping the players we bring through are of similar quality though! Cochrane should push on and be so this year. 

I'll be honest I haven't seen Mallan play. I only know from hype that clubs were after him but it's hit or miss with any signing. He was pap at Barnsley. 

If we had signed him, it wouldn't have got me excited. Not that any of this windows signings have. It's hope more than anything. That's where we are at these days though. 

2 minutes ago, fast_blood said:

I'll be honest I haven't seen Mallan play. I only know from hype that clubs were after him but it's hit or miss with any signing. He was pap at Barnsley. 

If we had signed him, it wouldn't have got me excited. Not that any of this windows signings have. It's hope more than anything. That's where we are at these days though. 

Fair enough.  Can’t really argue with that.  When at St Mirren he was a total stand out though that’s what I would base it on.  

Edited by Juanjo15

Absolute Scenes
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Stevie Mallan? Scotland U21 international and a great set piece taker. If Hibs can afford him surely we could too no?

A barnsley reject. Aye we'll take a player who played 7 games since joining Barnsley. Levein would still have been slated for bringing a player who couldn't hold a start for a league 1 team. Set piece specialist: steady, he scored against a team from the faroe islands

Rocky jamboa

I didn't understand the pre season optimism to be honest. I wasn't expecting much from guys signed from partick, Inverness, luton, Cambridge etc. I feel we've built a side to make the top 6. Nothing more. 

Ministry MK2
1 hour ago, All Out Attack said:

Whilst unusually agreeing with a lot of this, you have pretty much hit the nail on the head as to why Levein is not the answer. 

If he can adopt the attacking formation at home, why can't he just do it away as well. 

It was Raith yesterday and Cove previously, COVE....

There is no more room for excuses from well meaning folk on here, we need to get our act together. 

Someone suggested earlier that we were as bad as back in the 70's. Having witnessed that, I can assure you that we are not even close, however our owner is letting us drift into a similar pattern, which is worrying. 

Failure to qualify whatever for whatever reason, must prompt a wholesale management change. 

We must not make the same mistake as under Cathro and hold onto him too long. That could takes years to fix. 

That mistake has already been made I am afraid. Levein should have left/been sacked at the end of last season. 6th place and no where in the cups is not good enough. 

Instead we have allowed him to stay and bring in a load of dross player wise. 

Ministry MK2
7 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

I didn't understand the pre season optimism to be honest. I wasn't expecting much from guys signed from partick, Inverness, luton, Cambridge etc. I feel we've built a side to make the top 6. Nothing more. 

To be fair I don’t think any of the happyclappers were basing pre-season optimism on our Manager or signings. I questioned it a few weeks ago on a thread;

”it’s what being a football fan is aw aboot ken likesy”

14 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

It's Kickback !

People were beside themselves when Cathro was appointed !

Sometimes it's best to keep your own counsel and see how things shape up.

davemclaren
Just now, Boab said:

It's Kickback !

People were beside themselves when Cathro was appointed !

Sometimes it's best to keep your own counsel and see how things shape up.

ultimately fan optimism or pessimism has no bearing on performances, unfortunately or thankfully. ?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

More excited by Morrison McDonald and Cochrane than any of the new arrivals though Haring looks fine. McLean won't let us down but will be surprised if any of the others cut it. 

As I have maintained getting Mitchell and Naismith back were must get back. 

Despite the negative comments on Djoum he is a better player than any of the mediocrity on show thus far

Enzo Chiefo
37 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

A barnsley reject. Aye we'll take a player who played 7 games since joining Barnsley. Levein would still have been slated for bringing a player who couldn't hold a start for a league 1 team. Set piece specialist: steady, he scored against a team from the faroe islands

He's renowned as a set piece specialist wherever he has been and he is a Scotland U21 international who Hibs paid a fee for. We've also got Inverness, Partick and Luton rejects don't forget.

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

The Old Tolbooth
2 hours ago, Finlay James said:

We do? They won't? 

Really? :o 

Bridge of Djoum
14 hours ago, davie1980 said:

"Ooooh, look at all these new signings, we'll be champions by Easter"

It was nice while it lasted

Said not one single person.

Nice trolling.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

He's renowned as a set piece specialist wherever he has been and he is a Scotland U21 international who Hibs paid a fee for. We've also got Inverness, Partick and Luton rejects don't forget.

I think the players opted to leave Partick and Luton rather than be rejected. Mulraney is an odd one though and I didn’t see much from him yesterday. 

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, All Out Attack said:

The optimism on here pre-season was way over the top, as usual. 

Sooner or later, a certain section on here are going to realise that our manager is the underlying problem and until we fix this issue, we will not fulfil our potential. Our tactics are prehistoric and we don't adapt quickly enough to events on the pitch. 

What I find really annoying is that, rather than sign the dozen or so wannabes that we did,  we could have signed 4 or 5 with a pedegree or real potential. I'm sure 2 or 3 will turn out really good, but that is a pretty poor success rate. 

Was not optimistic with Levein and his cronies still here and its disappointing that it will once again take a prolonged collapse, to convince some on here, that we can do better. 

The football side of our club is broken. 

How long do we have to put up with this guy?

His trolling has gone beyond annoying. It's so blatant.

Enzo Chiefo
22 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think the players opted to leave Partick and Luton rather than be rejected. Mulraney is an odd one though and I didn’t see much from him yesterday. 

Yes, i wasn't really meaning they were rejected by their club, just highlighting the level at which they played previously. Mulraney is an odd one and Robbo appeared to be delighted to swap him for Angus Beith.

Alex Kintner
1 hour ago, Ministry MK2 said:

That mistake has already been made I am afraid. Levein should have left/been sacked at the end of last season. 6th place and no where in the cups is not good enough. 

Instead we have allowed him to stay and bring in a load of dross player wise. 

1 hour ago, Ministry MK2 said:

To be fair I don’t think any of the happyclappers were basing pre-season optimism on our Manager or signings. I questioned it a few weeks ago on a thread;

”it’s what being a football fan is aw aboot ken likesy”

:awful:

6 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

I’ve never met a hearts fan out with this site that has bigged up Hibs over Hearts. There’s no evidence for it this early into a season, it’s even more nonsensical given they lost four goals against a team of part-timers.

Simple truth is that those in the main who indulge in the vermin love in are not Hearts supporters. 

1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

No he wouldn’t have.  We started with a boy yesterday that couldn’t get a game with Inverness but still given a chance.  Stop making excuse after excuse.  Mallan would have been seen as a decent signing, just like many view Olly Lee or Ryan Edwards. 

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

No he wouldn’t have.  We started with a boy yesterday that couldn’t get a game with Inverness but still given a chance.  Stop making excuse after excuse.  Mallan would have been seen as a decent signing, just like many view Olly Lee or Ryan Edwards. 

I think Mallan would have been a decent signing. 

2 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

Hibs wont lay a glove on us. Hahahahahahaha. That really is a good one. 

At present they’ll be 15 plus points ahead of us again. 

Where is this optimism that we’re going to be closer to second than those 2 coming from. Mulraney??? Garrucho??? Bozanic??? 

The flaws and the deficiencies from last season still haven’t been rectified. We are still slow in the build up, afraid to take a pop at goal and have no pace/width.

More made up pish.

Last 2 games we have had 40 (forty) shots at goal with 19 (nineteen) on target.

My blind pre season optimism got a bit dented yesterday when I realised that I was watching different platers (mostly) playing the same crap as last season. The last 10/15 minutes made me think that for some reason we could play better but just hadn't been. So on to Tuesday and hope for an improvement and a lenient hearing on Monday.