Tynecastle year help

Morgan

Found these last week tucked away in an old Hearts book of mine. Vaguely remember taking the photos one morning but can’t pinpoint the exact year. Can anyone even estimate?  Thanks

1C36E433-1F0B-4145-A488-AEDC7E4AF2AD.jpeg

31134269-BEBD-4AB8-9DFD-6169B53AB938.jpeg

67C16179-361D-44F6-BFE9-6FEC5D916A9B.jpeg

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Found these last week tucked away in an old Hearts book of mine. Vaguely remember taking the photos one morning but can’t pinpoint the exact year. Can anyone even estimate?  Thanks

93/94?

12 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

93/94?

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Thanks. Kinda makes sense actually. Obviously it was the work going on and, off the top of my head, I thought 95 or 96. Now that you've both said that I can recall exactly where I was working and why I would have been on Gorgie Road during the week. 

Thanks again!

Fitzroy Pointon

End of 93/94 season. Was my first year with a season ticket and I remember us playing Aberdeen* midweek with the shed knocked down. Was a weird but great atmosphere. Think we were desperate for points at that time. 

*Could have been Dundee United. 

Fitzroy Pointon
2 minutes ago, Chaps said:

How long did it take us to build the 3 stands?

Gorgie stand was finished for the start of the 97/98 season, so three years? 

Well not the start as we played Aberdeen at home and the stand hadn't been opened yet due to a problem with a glass order. 

1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

Well not the start as we played Aberdeen at home and the stand hadn't been opened yet due to a problem with a glass order. 

Got this on Wiki. Found it interesting as this was before my time and never knew about.

Not sure how accurate it is.

The Taylor Report required all major sports grounds to become all-seated by August 1994.[13] Hearts initially entered discussions with Hibernian and the local authorities, but none of the sites suggested were suitable for all parties.[4] In March 1991, Hearts submitted their own proposal for a 30,000 all-seat stadium at Millerhill, in the south-east of Edinburgh.[4] The development would have also incorporated offices, a hotel, supermarket, restaurants and a business park.[4] The site was in the Edinburgh green belt, however, and the proposal was rejected later in 1991.[13] Hermiston was then suggested as a possible site for a new Hearts stadium, but this fell through in December 1992 as it was also within the green belt area.[13]

The collapse of the Hermiston proposal forced Hearts to redevelop Tynecastle instead.[13] In 1994, the entire western and northern sides of the ground were demolished, allowing for the construction of the Wheatfield Stand that year[13] and the Roseburn Stand the following year.[14] Temporary 'bucket' seating was installed on the (southern) Gorgie Road end terracing.[13] That terracing was itself razed in 1997 and replaced by the Gorgie Stand.[15]During this period of redevelopment, the ground was officially renamed as Tynecastle Stadium.[6]

Edited by Chaps

Fitzroy Pointon

Defo 94 

The 500 club played a big part in the building of the new stadium. Anyone still got their badge? 

11 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Defo 94 

The 500 club played a big part in the building of the new stadium. Anyone still got their badge? 

Got mine, can't remember if we got one for the Gorgie but my name is up on both boards

My first real memory of the Wheatfield was the infamous 4-2 Rangers game in the Cup (Colin Millar, big Disco and two from Kevin Thomas iirc?). Might’ve been the first game televised live from the new Wheatfield gantry?

queensferryjambo
1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

End of 93/94 season. Was my first year with a season ticket and I remember us playing Aberdeen* midweek with the shed knocked down. Was a weird but great atmosphere. Think we were desperate for points at that time. 

*Could have been Dundee United. 

Definitely Dundee Utd with shed down and it was a Saturday. Aberdeen was midweek game but still with shed (I think). At the Dundee Utd game I was very close to were the terrace was removed on the old shed side and it was weird. It was a vital game as well to stay up.

As for 500 Clubs I still have both my badges and certificates. Might also still have the (now empty) voucher books and also the advertising booklets - I should try and dig them out.

Great pics Morgan thanks for posting :)

queensferryjambo
19 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

My first real memory of the Wheatfield was the infamous 4-2 Rangers game in the Cup (Colin Millar, big Disco and two from Kevin Thomas iirc?). Might’ve been the first game televised live from the new Wheatfield gantry?

You surely mean the famous 4-2 game :)

Robbo scored the third goal and if memory serves me correctly somebody from Paisley lost a lot of money on an accumulator bet as he had 2-2 after 90 minutes.

Tommy Brown
2 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Definitely Dundee Utd with shed down and it was a Saturday. Aberdeen was midweek game but still with shed (I think). At the Dundee Utd game I was very close to were the terrace was removed on the old shed side and it was weird. It was a vital game as well to stay up.

As for 500 Clubs I still have both my badges and certificates. Might also still have the (now empty) voucher books and also the advertising booklets - I should try and dig them out.

Yip, remember standing in the school end first half and Gorgie for the 2nd.

Doubt H&S would allow us today.

Other results filtered through that day confirming out safety.

Stevie Frail scored the 2nd.sandy Clark was manager.

Fitzroy Pointon
9 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Was Aberdeen the last game with the Shed then? Great atmosphere that night. 

Those vouchers practically paid for my junior season ticket for six years. My dad obviously contributed but gave my name for the plaque. 

queensferryjambo
Just now, Salad Fingers said:

Was Aberdeen the last game with the Shed then? Great atmosphere that night. 

Those vouchers practically paid for my junior season ticket for six years. My dad obviously contributed but gave my name for the plaque. 

Yeah the vouchers were great for us - not sure how great financially it was for the club over the next 5 / 6 seasons though :) 

1 hour ago, queensferryjambo said:

Robbo scored the third goal and if memory serves me correctly somebody from Paisley lost a lot of money on an accumulator bet as he had 2-2 after 90 minutes.

You are, or courose, correct. Why I typed infamous I don’t know ?? Tell you what though, I’ve genuinely no recollection of the wee man scoring (or even playing!) that night ?

queensferryjambo
2 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

You are, or courose, correct. Why I typed infamous I don’t know ?? Tell you what though, I’ve genuinely no recollection of the wee man scoring (or even playing!) that night ?

Found this from an old kickback thread - Robbo was almost the Star Man if it wasn't for Jim Bett. Davie McFearsome :) 

1995022001.jpg1995022002.jpg

Fitzroy Pointon
45 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Found this from an old kickback thread - Robbo was almost the Star Man if it wasn't for Jim Bett. Davie McFearsome :) 

1995022001.jpg1995022002.jpg

Is that Derek Holmes behind the nets? He couldn't have been a sub back then could he? 

7 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

7 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

No infamous is correct. I took some asprin to go that game and collapsed 3 days later from bleeding stomach ulcers. My neighbour a paramedic called n ambulance and there were drips put into both arms and both legs when I got to A&E. But for the quick intervention from  my friend and neighbour i would have been dead.

2 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Is that Derek Holmes behind the nets? He couldn't have been a sub back then could he? 

Colquhoun, Thomas and Henry on the bench that night. Ball boys Holmes, Murie, Ritchie, Johnstone and Chalky. :pleased:

By the light
9 hours ago, Morgan said:

Cracking pics ??

Fitzroy Pointon
7 hours ago, goldie83 said:

Colquhoun, Thomas and Henry on the bench that night. Ball boys Holmes, Murie, Ritchie, Johnstone and Chalky. :pleased:

:laugh: thought it was him. 

21 hours ago, Morgan said:

I must say this photo surprised me.  From memory I thought when we flattened the terracing for the new Wheatfield stand, the Gorgie end terracing was left intact, and it was only after the Wheatfield and School end stands were built that the Gorgie end terracing was flattened.

That photo shows that both the Wheatfield and Gorgie terraces were flattened at the same time which is just not my memory of the stadium redevelopment.

52 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I must say this photo surprised me.  From memory I thought when we flattened the terracing for the new Wheatfield stand, the Gorgie end terracing was left intact, and it was only after the Wheatfield and School end stands were built that the Gorgie end terracing was flattened.

That photo shows that both the Wheatfield and Gorgie terraces were flattened at the same time which is just not my memory of the stadium redevelopment.

The memory is a strange thing Thomaso!

Mind you, I can only vaguely recall taking the damn photos and I had to ask on here for the bloody year! :facepalm: 

22 hours ago, Morgan said:

Is that GreenGinger from Hibs.net sitting on the bench overseeing the development!?!?

13 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Is that GreenGinger from Hibs.net sitting on the bench overseeing the development!?!?

:robbo:  Probably!

27 minutes ago, Morgan said:

The memory is a strange thing Thomaso!

Mind you, I can only vaguely recall taking the damn photos and I had to ask on here for the bloody year! :facepalm: 

I can clearly remember watching games with the 'new' Wheatfield stand in place, and away fans standing on the Gorgie end terracing...........:wacko2:

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Seconded, that's how I remember it too 

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Seconded, that's how I remember it too 

Actually the Hearts v Rangers game featured above was an example - I'm sure the Wheatfield was full of Hearts fans, with Rangers fans in the old Gorgie end terraces on bench seats.

But Morgan's photo showed that the Gorgie end was flattened at the same time as the Wheatfield terracing?????????:interehjrling:

5 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Actually the Hearts v Rangers game featured above was an example - I'm sure the Wheatfield was full of Hearts fans, with Rangers fans in the old Gorgie end terraces on bench seats.

But Morgan's photo showed that the Gorgie end was flattened at the same time as the Wheatfield terracing?????????:interehjrling:

This needs resolved!... It’s ****ed me right up! :lol:  

Its the 4-2 cup match v the Huns that reminds me of the way the stadium was then.

I was in the North Enclosure that night. Rangers got the Gorgie end plus seats in the South Stand (I think?), because of the cup rules regarding away fans.

Only have to look up the old footage I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

This needs resolved!... It’s ****ed me right up! :lol:  

Its the 4-2 cup match v the Huns that reminds me of the way the stadium was then.

I was in the North Enclosure that night. Rangers got the Gorgie end plus seats in the South Stand (I think?), because of the cup rules regarding away fans.

Only have to look up the old footage I suppose. 

The school end was definitely flattened that night, but not the Gorgie end.  Morgan's photos totally baffle me!! :wacko2:

By the light

When I went to my first game after the redevelopment I sat in Wheatfield section A for an Aberdeen game. I think we won 2-0 and Stevie Frail scored a great goal in to the Gorgie end.  If memory serves me right there was only construction fencing up behind the goals and there was a tarmac path across the School End that you walked along to get to the Wheatfield.

Was a long time ago and I must’ve been about 12 so I might be talking absolute nonsense. No surprises there.

Nookie Bear
44 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I can clearly remember watching games with the 'new' Wheatfield stand in place, and away fans standing on the Gorgie end terracing...........:wacko2:

Yeah, that's got me confused too.

23 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Mym memory of that was giving them a bit of a hiding and singing songs aimed at Dean Windass who'd been mouthing off in the press in the week leading up tot he game - I'm sure about them being better than us / the third force in Scotland or some other guff like that.

8 minutes ago, farin said:

I must have taken these about the same time as you Morgan. 

AB6BA891-7399-4ED5-8950-5449B6A5EC0F.jpeg

168BA470-4D80-466A-81A4-0F13208BC1F0.jpeg

976E3A04-3091-4F58-97DA-AA3CC98B214E.jpeg

7E6723FB-0462-460F-AF7B-CA0CFA9B346C.jpeg

Yeah, a short while after me it would seem. 

been here before
On 15/07/2018 at 13:12, Morgan said:

The Shed.

RIP.

:7:

23 minutes ago, been here before said:

The Shed.

RIP.

:7:

Indeed.  Very sad to see but many great memories too.

queensferryjambo
2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

The Gorgie terrace was not completely removed it is mostly still there just you cannot see it in the pictures as it is all round the corner to the right hand side. They removed some of the left hand side for access then replaced it.

Farin's (excellent) photos are taken after Morgans and show guys standing much higher up where you would normally have entered behind the original turnstiles. 

Footage of games from that season on youtube show what the set up was when the season got under way.

31 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

The Gorgie terrace was not completely removed it is mostly still there just you cannot see it in the pictures as it is all round the corner to the right hand side. They removed some of the left hand side for access then replaced it.

Farin's (excellent) photos are taken after Morgans and show guys standing much higher up where you would normally have entered behind the original turnstiles. 

Footage of games from that season on youtube show what the set up was when the season got under way.

Cheers

38 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Very interesting.