Scotland's Qualifying Group for the Euros

Makween

Better call Saul

Why because France who were world champions had a bad tournament

and Italy who were also world champoion were knocked out in the Quarters....... I think we did ok ;)

better than that lot down souff :mad::mad:

shaun.lawson
Doesn't look half as impressive now, does it?

It was still the draw from hell. Not only were they the two World Cup finalists, but France haven't failed to qualify for something since 1994, and Italy, 1992. Meanwhile, for all that England's conquerors have actually done better at this tournament, Russia hadn't failed to qualify for something since, er, the last World Cup; and Croatia, since 2000. With anyone with half a brain in charge, England should've walked it; whereas if Scotland had made it, it'd have been the greatest achievement in their entire history (not that there's that much competition, mind).

Geoff Kilpatrick

Since we're discussing relative qualification efforts, for Northern Ireland to finish a close 3rd behind Spain (who have been so, er, un Spain-like in this competition) maybe shows that some teams have been living off their reputations for too long, and perhaps England were the first to suffer from that.

shaun.lawson
Since we're discussing relative qualification efforts, for Northern Ireland to finish a close 3rd behind Spain (who have been so, er, un Spain-like in this competition) maybe shows that some teams have been living off their reputations for too long, and perhaps England were the first to suffer from that.

True - I still think Northern Ireland essentially blew it though. Those two away defeats immediately after Worthington was appointed killed your chances; and Sweden were nothing special at all.

Geoff Kilpatrick
True - I still think Northern Ireland essentially blew it though. Those two away defeats immediately after Worthington was appointed killed your chances; and Sweden were nothing special at all.

Of course they did because that's what Northern Ireland do! Lose to Iceland twice and Latvia away but beat Spain and Sweden in Belfast!!

The best one we ever did though was for the 1984 European Championships. Beat West Germany home and away and then lose 1-0 to Turkey (who were rubbish then) and fail to qualify on goal difference against the Germans!

shaun.lawson
Of course they did because that's what Northern Ireland do! Lose to Iceland twice and Latvia away but beat Spain and Sweden in Belfast!!

The best one we ever did though was for the 1984 European Championships. Beat West Germany home and away and then lose 1-0 to Turkey (who were rubbish then) and fail to qualify on goal difference against the Germans!

Yes, I remember reading about that! It was a harsh qualifying format back then, though - and just as much as it's what Northern Ireland always do (another example: Euro 96 qualifying), it's what the Germans always seem to do too, sad to relate.

Cheer up, we'll have a United Ireland team soon enough.

shaun.lawson

LOL!

I kinda get what you're saying, but it's a bit kiddish logic.

Regardless of how poorly Italy & France played, they are still major forces in world football.

There were six european teams in the last 8 of the world cup and we managed to draw half of them in one group! I think it was fairly impressive regardless of how they played in the Euro's!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Probably, although it'll happen before Scotland is an independent nation. :rolleyes:

Hearts Heritage

The Welsh must be the worst and unluckiest in throwing it away. Think of the Joe Jordon handball and the penalty miss against Romania.

However they truly blew it in 1982

A draw to the Czechs away would have put them through

or a win versus Iceland at home

or a draw vs USSR

3 chances to go through all 'blown'

1982 W Cup

1981101405.jpg

Rudolf's Mate
Why because France who were world champions had a bad tournament

and Italy who were also world champoion were knocked out in the Quarters....... I think we did ok ;)

better than that lot down souff :mad::mad:

France also had a bad world cup prior to the Euros however they are still one of the big teams and always will be.

In saying that, if we'd had Spain in our group people would have only said that they had done nothing for the last 40 or 50 years!!! Just can't win with some people!

Aye,your right,beating France home and away,hammering the Ukraine at home,wiping the floor with the mighty Lithuania home and away(who had to cheat in order to get a goal)scoring 21 goals only conceding 12,oh aye and add to that we played the two WORLD CUP finalists,I would say we done absolutely magnifcent.

Hearts Heritage

A game I had totally forgotten about.

Scotland qualifying for the 1982 World Cup.

I remember the games for 1974 and 1978 but have no recollection of this one at all. was it on the TV?

1981101404.jpg

Goldstone Wonder
France also had a bad world cup prior to the Euros however they are still one of the big teams and always will be.

Mmm, seem to remember they got to the last World Cup final and only lost on penalties, after Zidane was sent off. Not particularly bad in my book.

Bindy Badgy
Mmm, seem to remember they got to the last World Cup final and only lost on penalties, after Zidane was sent off. Not particularly bad in my book.

I know they got to the final, but with the exception of the game Vs Brazil, they didn't play particularly well. They finished second in their group after drawing with Korea and Switzerland and they needed second half goals to overcome the might of Togo.

shaun.lawson
I know they got to the final, but with the exception of the game Vs Brazil, they didn't play particularly well. They finished second in their group after drawing with Korea and Switzerland and they needed second half goals to overcome the might of Togo.

And then they totally outplayed Spain. And then they beat Brazil. And then they knocked out Portugal. And then they had the better of the final against Italy.

But you're right: apart from that, they were ****e! :confused:

A game I had totally forgotten about.

Scotland qualifying for the 1982 World Cup.

I remember the games for 1974 and 1978 but have no recollection of this one at all. was it on the TV?

1981101404.jpg

I can't remember the game against N.Ire, but I do remember us beating Israel 1-0 over there courtesy of a Dalgleish goal which secured our qualification, iirc.

Game was an afternoon k.o. and was live on BBC2 Scotland, again iirc. I was at primary and some classes got to watch it, but mine didn't! :mad:

Hearts Heritage
I can't remember the game against N.Ire, but I do remember us beating Israel 1-0 over there courtesy of a Dalgleish goal which secured our qualification, iirc.

Game was an afternoon k.o. and was live on BBC2 Scotland, again iirc. I was at primary and some classes got to watch it, but mine didn't! :mad:

It definitely was the N Ireland game that clinched it, though the Israel game definitely helped on the way. It was only the 3rd game out of 8.

By the same logic Engerlunds humiliation by Croatia looks even more embarrasing now doesn't it?

Croatia won three games out of four at Euro 2008, scoring five goals in the process.

Russia have so far won three games out of four at Euro 2008, scoring seven goals in the process.

Between them, France and Italy have won one game out of six* at Euro 2008, scoring four goals in the process.

Hmmm.

*Only counting the game where they played each other once.

Croatia won three games out of four at Euro 2008, scoring five goals in the process.

Looking forward to Bilic and his side winning the World Cup qualifying group next. The overhyped and overrated mob from down south will be play off material at best.

scott herbertson

my mate Rod who occasionally posts here was at that game. Hired a car and drove around the Golan heights and had a drink in some bunker bar with the Israeli soldiers

:eek::eek::eek:

Rudolf's Mate

Waste of a thread IMO and is just trying to get a reaction! So what are you saying? That Scotland are actually mince and the fact that we nearly qualified in a group containing France & Italy was just a smoke screen as they are cr@p and we are in fantasy land???

That Scotland are actually mince and the fact that we nearly qualified in a group containing France & Italy was just a smoke screen as they are cr@p and we are in fantasy land???

I reckon that if you were to look at all eight qualifying groups and how the teams from each individual group did at the Euros, Scotland's group wouldn't be very high up in any "league table". France and Italy were living off of their reputations, and have been found out in this tournament.

I reckon that if you were to look at all eight qualifying groups and how the teams from each individual group did at the Euros, Scotland's group wouldn't be very high up in any "league table". France and Italy were living off of their reputations, and have been found out in this tournament.

Go and ask the other nations if the would have wanted a group with both of them in it.

Don't know where you are going with this one - it reeks of "I told you so".

What both teams did at the Euros is irrelevant - their record in qualifying for the tourneys is formidable.

I know lot's of English folk that were thankful they didn;t end up with our draw.

Go and ask the other nations if the would have wanted a group with both of them in it.

Don't know where you are going with this one - it reeks of "I told you so".

What both teams did at the Euros is irrelevant - their record in qualifying for the tourneys is formidable.

I know lot's of English folk that were thankful they didn;t end up with our draw.

I didn't tell anyone anything regarding Scotland's qualifying group, I was banned from Kickback at the time. Obviously, no-one would've wanted Scotland's draw at the time - what I'm saying is that, looking at things retrospectively it maybe wasn't quite as difficult as was at first suggested.

If this thread's shown one thing, it's the bizarre need of the Scots to compare themselves with the English at all times. I hadn't even mentioned England in my original post, and didn't until someone else brought them up.

Guest S.U.S.S.
I didn't tell anyone anything regarding Scotland's qualifying group, I was banned from Kickback at the time. Obviously, no-one would've wanted Scotland's draw at the time - what I'm saying is that, looking at things retrospectively it maybe wasn't quite as difficult as was at first suggested.

If this thread's shown one thing, it's the bizarre need of the Scots to compare themselves with the English at all times. I hadn't even mentioned England in my original post, and didn't until someone else brought them up.

How dare you suggest it was anything but a romantic and glorious failure by our poor small country to qualify against all these great nations.

RockyBalboa

Fair enough they didn't end up having the best tournys but we still had the World champions and runners up in our group, and other quarter/semi finalist.

Turkey are in the Semi's, very luckily it's like saying http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2008_qualifying_Group_C

was a harder group than Scotlands, which it clearly wasn't.

I would honestly say the hardest group was Englands, then ours.

:cool:

Italy are still quality. If they had Pirlo and Gattuso they would have beaten Spain last night IMO. France are a spent force though, you could see that by the results Scotland got against them. They were always going to stuggle in the Euros.

Scotland's group was difficult, but it looked a hell of a lot worse on paper.

Only a Game

Ireland itself will certainly be united in the next 15-20 years. No reason why they wouldnt have a united football team.

Archived