Gary Locke Testimonial match v Stoke - July 23 ( Gorgie Club open )

icyellow69

7 minutes ago, Rockwell said:

Why not come and find out for yourself

I'm unable to attend this one unfortunately.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elmore

• Jambo 4 Ever

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• John Findlay

2 minutes ago, Homme said:

I'm unable to attend this one unfortunately.

Ok no problem sorry you can't make it 

3 hours ago, Homme said:

I'm not sure on this game. On one hand it sounds like a kickabout between friends and then on the other we are looking to give Rowes game time indicating it's a serious workout.

Guess that's the monopoly of testimonials. Anyone know how it'll likely play out?

I don't know, but think, it'll be a proper match and the testimonial stuff will be at half-time. 

No Locke coming on to take a penalty or multiple subs with ex-players getting 5 mins etc.

The match will be our first team v Stoke.

TyphoonJambo
1 hour ago, Sid said:

Stoke sold 535 tickets.  

But I thought there were 1500 blood thirsty pavement dancers on their way?

Hungry hippo
5 hours ago, Homme said:

I'm not sure on this game. On one hand it sounds like a kickabout between friends and then on the other we are looking to give Rowes game time indicating it's a serious workout.

Guess that's the monopoly of testimonials. Anyone know how it'll likely play out?

Seems like it will be at least as serious a friendly as any of the others weve played.

If anything, probably a bit more of a real game as we are getting close to the league starting for both clubs.

Whats the ticket sales looking like so far? I will be travelling from Ullapool and back tomorrow.  Got our tickets ages ago but at that point the sales looked awful. Hope it gets a good turn out. If anyone deserves a big attendance its Locke.

Hope there are a few surprises, Disappointed with it looking like a friendly game with A half time penalty p!ss around chucked in as a second thought being all that 20 years service deserves.

Not expecting a 90 min traditional testimonial with old pros and former teams. But I actually feel bad and pretty angry that's all he gets. 

Very little promotion or build up from the club trying to actually make any part of it about GL. We should have a gary locke day or week (that ties in with a weekend fixture).

Use the plaza,  kids face painting, music, food, photos and autographs stand, then a game between two squads Gary locke wants involved. I.e 98-2012 or cup select vs former team or a squad he coached or picks.

What a wasted opportunity to let a legend, coach, captain, manager, ambassador, tea lady, and legend who had the worst possible season and squad in his lifetime to use while begging to have a club to support the very next day. 

It's really hard to believe it's not just a first team friendly with a 10 min effortless p!ss about for Locke. 

No thought or respect has been shown by the pathetic attempt put into this.  

I feel guilty and sorry that I'm even attending or being there to contribute to the tragic effort put towards it being all about him to really do his involvement and commitment justice and enjoyment he truly deserves.  

Maybe I am wrong, or have a different perspective on it all? My personal opinion believes we owe him and his service so much more than a penalty kick cameo for a few minutes jammed into a game unrelated or connected with/for him? 

58 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

But I thought there were 1500 blood thirsty pavement dancers on their way?

Sure there will be one or two but the dads out the Tynie Arms and the footy police will see then off again. 

2 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Whats the ticket sales looking like so far? I will be travelling from Ullapool and back tomorrow.  Got our tickets ages ago but at that point the sales looked awful. Hope it gets a good turn out. If anyone deserves a big attendance its Locke.

Hope there are a few surprises, Disappointed with it looking like a friendly game with A half time penalty p!ss around chucked in as a second thought being all that 20 years service deserves.

Not expecting a 90 min traditional testimonial with old pros and former teams. But I actually feel bad and pretty angry that's all he gets. 

Very little promotion or build up from the club trying to actually make any part of it about GL. We should have a gary locke day or week (that ties in with a weekend fixture).

Use the plaza,  kids face painting, music, food, photos and autographs stand, then a game between two squads Gary locke wants involved. I.e 98-2012 or cup select vs former team or a squad he coached or picks.

What a wasted opportunity to let a legend, coach, captain, manager, ambassador, tea lady, and legend who had the worst possible season and squad in his lifetime to use while begging to have a club to support the very next day. 

It's really hard to believe it's not just a first team friendly with a 10 min effortless p!ss about for Locke. 

I feel guilty and sorry that I'm even attending or being there to contribute to the tragic effort put towards it being all about him to really do his involvement and commitment justice and enjoyment he truly deserves.  

Maybe I am wrong, or have a different perspective on it all? My personal opinion believes we owe him and his service so much more than a penalty kick cameo for a few minutes jammed into a game unrelated or connected with/for him? 

Calm down. 

he has had multiple events the last year. 

Jeffros Furios
4 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

:rofl:

17 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

That is some take 

kingantti1874
21 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

he sounded pretty happy on the scarves around the funnell pod cast.

and making it a proper game means more money 

1 hour ago, dav1e said:

Taking my grandson tomorrow, his first game so hopefully be an enjoyable day out.

I’m taking my eldest (he’s 4) to his first ever game tomorrow. He’s almost as excited as me - a dream come true taking my kid to Tynecastle with me 

50 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

If you are disappointed, this isn't likely on the club but Gary's testimonial committee.  Unless they put all these to the club and it said 'no'

However in their defence the other events appear to have been sell-outs

Nookie Bear
55 minutes ago, Mac80 said:

Calm down. 

he has had multiple events the last year. 

He has also been employed in multiple roles for a number of years by the club and I expect has been handsomely rewarded at times for it. 

Gary knows the respect he has from the fans and club. 

jamtartan74
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

He has also been employed in multiple roles for a number of years by the club and I expect has been handsomely rewarded at times for it. 

Think Daza is just annoyed his old mucker Lockey who once used to spill him transfer rumours no longer does so as he has been told off 😤

1 hour ago, dazajmbo said:

The Main Stand is sold out and some tickets sold in Section X and Y in Gorgie Stand. The crowd will be around 8,000.

The club have promoted this on social media all this week and have had interviews with him and other people around the event. Also as others have said he has had multiple events already as part of his testimonial year.

Hectormasson
On 30/06/2018 at 18:59, gerryjambo41 said:

Likewise mate but 98,06 And 2012 made all the shite worth it ?

It certainly did, but 86 still hurts worse than anything,  whether we ever get Premier league title or not, it was their , we could feel it.....but not to be sadly, but the trip was great,wouldn't have missed it for anything.......

the general
43 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Does the club not have to distance themselves for tax purposes ?

2 hours ago, dav1e said:

Taking my grandson tomorrow, his first game so hopefully be an enjoyable day out.

My grandfather took me to my first game and it was Stanley Matthews' Stoke. 

gerryjambo41
15 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

It certainly did, but 86 still hurts worse than anything,  whether we ever get Premier league title or not, it was their , we could feel it.....but not to be sadly, but the trip was great,wouldn't have missed it for anything.......

Trip was fantastic , so many other shockers 😡 I didn’t think 98 could be eclipsed but pumping sellik in the semi al la 88 then going on to smash hibs the final was awesome. A lot of us that were at Dens thought we’d never see it 👍 back to topic Lockey was involved in two of the three cup wins in my lifetime and deserves his day . I’ll be there tomorrow 🇱🇻🇱🇻🎴🎴

Luckies1874
37 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

The Main Stand is sold out and some tickets sold in Section X and Y in Gorgie Stand. The crowd will be around 8,000.

The club have promoted this on social media all this week and have had interviews with him and other people around the event. Also as others have said he has had multiple events already as part of his testimonial year.

Think it might be get near to 9000 actually when you take into account at least 5-600 from Stoke. The 2 upper sections opened in the Gorgie are nearly sold out so another may open and there will be further walk ups on the day like there was for both Crawley and Bonnyrigg. If you consider Hibs managed under 5200 for a competitive game in midweek this is a brilliant crowd and Locke will be thrilled. 

As an aside Daza is talking utter nonsense, the club have done all sorts of promotion this week on all platforms. There have been adverts on local radio constantly as well as on the clubs media channels; official website, Twitter etc. They have gone above and beyond giving far more coverage to this than any of the other friendlies. Locke will be delighted the game is part of the preparation for the new season, with a new number 9 involved for the first time. He'll enjoy plenty adulation on the day as he has at all the other Testimonial events held already. 

Edited by Luckies1874

1 hour ago, dazajmbo said:

Have a great day and what a great effort for a Testimonial

Beautiful area Ulapools in Stayed up there a few times

If GL hadny had a bad injury like CL he would have went onto stardom imho

That aside what a Man player and Jambo

Taking my grand children the morra to pay homage

Gary we love you are a PHM  who i salute

Edited by SCFHearts

loveofthegame

Main stand sold out (c7000), 2 sections of Gorgie sold out (c1000), stoke bringing 500-1000. Sales tomo will likely add another 500 or so. A crowd not far of 10000 for what is really just a nothing pre season game against fairly unimaginative opponents in the middle of the summer holidays. That’s a tremendous crowd for Lockey given he’s not played for the club in 2 decades.

Nothing less than the great man deserves. My hero as a kid, watching a dyed in wool Jambo play and captain Hearts was so inspiring for a 9/10/11 year old me. I never quite hit those heights…

To compare, Ian Murray’s testimonial at Hibs when he was an active player got a crowd of under 3000!

Edited by loveofthegame

4 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Main stand sold out (c7000), 2 sections of Gorgie sold out (c1000), stoke bringing 500-1000. Sales tomo will likely add another 500 or so. A crowd not far of 10000 for what is really just a nothing pre season game against fairly unimaginative opponents in the middle of the summer holidays. That’s a tremendous crowd for Lockey given he’s not played for the club in 2 decades.

Nothing less than the great man deserves. My hero as a kid, watching a dyed in wool Jambo play and captain Hearts was so inspiring for a 9/10/11 year old me. I never quite hit those heights…

To compare, Ian Murray’s testimonial at Hibs when he was an active player got a crowd of under 3000!

CL got he haw at his testimonial its for me about timing imho 

Canny wait to pay respect to a proper Jambo 

2 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

Calm doon ffs. 

You're way over the top. 

He's getting the same as other long term Hearts legends. 

I appreciate that you might not have made some of the other events due to the distance involved, but I've been to either 3 or 4 other events for Lockey. His Testimonial Committee have worked their socks off & these previous events have all sold out within hours.

He'll be delighted with whatever the attendance is tomorrow and he'll no doubt end up in Lulu's as per.

A Gary Locke day or week.  :rofl: 

Independence
21 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

That will be a great turn out for a Hearts legend. I cant go due to recent accident but I have bought a ticket out of respect for a true  Jambo. It is not just about his playing days but the enthusiasm and passion he instills into every Hearts team. Does he get any profit made from programme sales? Just a quick question. I hope he does! I have ordered my own  from Curtis Sports as I will not be at the game. I have ordered this seasons Hearts home  programmes as a bundle through Curtis Sports but did not know if Lockies was included. Happy to pay twice, but happier if I know the money goes to this great Hearts man who represents us all.

Independence
5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

A Gary Locke day or week.  :rofl: 

We all have different opinions and patronising other Hearts fans comments is way out of order!

Does anyone know if the PPV profits goes into Gary's testimonial fund ?

The reason I ask is because I don't think I will make it to the game but was going to buy a ticket anyway. 

However if the PPV goes into the testimonial fund I will buy that instead. 

1 minute ago, Independence said:

We all have different opinions and patronising other Hearts fans comments is way out of order!

If we all have ‘different opinions’  then please don’t quite mine.

Your ‘opinion’ is way out of order!

4 minutes ago, Independence said:

Even when that other Hearts fan's comments are way out of line and disrespectful to the club ? 🤔 

WTF ?  Thought Ron’s rant was funny 

7 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

WTF ?  Thought Ron’s rant was funny 

Think Daza's made a boo boo and Hibded it 😏

Class of 75

Really chuffed for Gary and I hope tomorrow is a great day for him. A PHM and great servant of the club. 

Independence
17 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Even when that other Hearts fan's comments are way out of line and disrespectful to the club ? 🤔 

Okay, I wish now I had not become involved.

Independence
20 minutes ago, Morgan said:

If we all have ‘different opinions’  then please don’t quite mine.

Your ‘opinion’ is way out of order!

Okay.

1 hour ago, loveofthegame said:

That's an excellent turn out for a non glamorous friendly and a half time GL appreciation (if that's what tomorrow is).

Slagging tomorrow is way off the mark after everything out support has stepped up to and previous stuff for GL.

I'm not able to go as my son has something on but I'll likely buy the PPV and watch it in the car whilst I wait.

Edited by Homme

Scott Leitch
2 hours ago, jamtartan74 said:

Think Daza is just annoyed his old mucker Lockey who once used to spill him transfer rumours no longer does so as he has been told off 😤

Is that what it is? What a weird rant to go on. 

Probably won’t be able to make the game, but bought a ticket. 

Top man, is Lockie. 
PHM❤️

Luckies1874

Over the last 40 years these are the Testimonials (I think) that have been granted Hearts players. Pretty rare occurrence though a glut in the 90's. Craig Gordon will get one I'd imagine though of course the financial benefit is irrelevant to him. 

15/5/84  Alex MacDonald v Rangers  17,853

18/10/87  Walter Kidd v Everton  8171

26/9/89  Eammon Bannon v Man Utd  9001 

13/5/91  Gary Mackay v Everton  5575

27/7/92  John Robertson v Newcastle  11,105

2/8/93  Henry Smith v Everton  9213

8/10/95  Craig Levein v Coventry  2711

18/3/96  Neil Berry v Lyon  6221

12/10/97 Craig Levein v Hibs  8057

26/7/97  Dave McPherson v Rangers  7892

11/5/08  Robbie Neilson v Hearts Select  7000

jamtartan74
3 hours ago, Scott Leitch said:

Is that what it is? What a weird rant to go on. 

Ach a duno, just thought it was a very weird and uncalled for rant at the club from a person who claims to know every detail of club transfers, or at least used to until Savage got involved, now he’s coming across as an angry man starved of any inside info so instead let’s rip at the club over nothing. As others have pointed out, it’s been a testimonial year, not a one off event in which he has had several days out and been treated like someone with 20 years service to the team he and we all love should be. Chin up daza, enjoy the journey from Ullapool and hopefully the great man himself will sign your wyscout dvd folder 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻