Gary Locke Testimonial match v Stoke - July 23 ( Gorgie Club open )

icyellow69

Well Be With You
41 minutes ago, Jibbers said:

I hope there is a good turnout on Saturday. I read on a Stoke fans forum that they’ve sold 500 tickets and May be looking for more. Pasquale Bruno though! What a guy.

Think the Stoke following will be nearer 1500. Good game this for the mighty potters I think. I consider the clubs on an equal standing at the moment, Hearts probably with the upper hand. In terms of scale, Stoke are considerably larger (ground, support, facilities, financial clout) but we are definitely looking forward to the weekend. 

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elmore

• Jambo 4 Ever

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• John Findlay

Percival King

Better hide the fire extinguishers before Stoke arrive at Tynecastle, their manager has form for booting these when he gets upset.

On 16/07/2022 at 21:00, Prince Buaben said:

Think this has been a bit slap dash and seems like they have forgot to organise a testimonial match so thrown it together with a Stoke friendly.

It should have been a more jovial and celebratory affair with a say a hearts select v killie/bradford select or Jim Jefferies XI v Paulo Sergio XI. Where we get to see cup winners and cult heroes. Rolling subs and a celebration of a guy living every one of our dreams

Instead it is the last match for the first team sqaud to get fitness and sharpness before the season starts the following week. So the testimonial part of the whole day is in fact just a 15 minute half time show. 

This. Ill still be there.

On 16/07/2022 at 21:00, Prince Buaben said:

Think this has been a bit slap dash and seems like they have forgot to organise a testimonial match so thrown it together with a Stoke friendly.

It should have been a more jovial and celebratory affair with a say a hearts select v killie/bradford select or Jim Jefferies XI v Paulo Sergio XI. Where we get to see cup winners and cult heroes. Rolling subs and a celebration of a guy living every one of our dreams

Instead it is the last match for the first team sqaud to get fitness and sharpness before the season starts the following week. So the testimonial part of the whole day is in fact just a 15 minute half time show. 

Against that there will probably be a bigger crowd than would have gone to the type of game you're suggesting  

53 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Is there a rough number of tickets sold?

Taking a glance at etickets, I’d guess around 5/6,000

3 hours ago, Well Be With You said:

Think the Stoke following will be nearer 1500. Good game this for the mighty potters I think. I consider the clubs on an equal standing at the moment, Hearts probably with the upper hand. In terms of scale, Stoke are considerably larger (ground, support, facilities, financial clout) but we are definitely looking forward to the weekend. 

1500 is a good number for a pre-season friendly. Might push the crowd up towards 10,000. If coming up for the day only I’d suggest getting off at Haymarket as it’s only a shortish walk from there. Ryries and the Haymarket Bar are the best pubs for beer in that immediate vicinity. If you walk up Dalry Road and take a left just before Gorgie Road you’ll find Diggers at the top of the, small, hill. Head straight on to Gorgie Road for the Tynecastle Arms right at the stadium. Heres hoping for a good game.

Glory Hunter
33 minutes ago, Jibbers said:

1500 is a good number for a pre-season friendly. Might push the crowd up towards 10,000. If coming up for the day only I’d suggest getting off at Haymarket as it’s only a shortish walk from there. Ryries and the Haymarket Bar are the best pubs for beer in that immediate vicinity. If you walk up Dalry Road and take a left just before Gorgie Road you’ll find Diggers at the top of the, small, hill. Head straight on to Gorgie Road for the Tynecastle Arms right at the stadium. Heres hoping for a good game.

Thanks for that, our standard preseason trip is a two nighter so we are staying in Haymarket and will look out all of the pubs recommended. Forgot to say earlier that Stoke are the oldest football league club on the planet. So I guess we are kind of unique. Looking forward to the trip. 

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Glory Hunter said:

Thanks for that, our standard preseason trip is a two nighter so we are staying in Haymarket and will look out all of the pubs recommended. Forgot to say earlier that Stoke are the oldest football league club on the planet. So I guess we are kind of unique. Looking forward to the trip. 

Isn't that Notts County or some other footballing nonety?

Hungry hippo
7 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Notts County aren't in the Football League anymore.

5 hours ago, Glory Hunter said:

I didn't know that.

Prince Buaben
14 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Against that there will probably be a bigger crowd than would have gone to the type of game you're suggesting  

Cant see the crowd being massive either.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Is this game going to have any of our current first team playing in it

Yes, it's a first team game

Just now, Ari Gold said:

Yes, it's a first team game

Thanks hope fully it is a useful pre season exercise for them 

On 17/07/2022 at 07:01, red said:

Very good point. This would have been the perfect opportunity to utilise the foundation plaza with kids activities. Outdoor bar maybe even a band. 

I remember going over to our Essen Friendly in Germany and they had a similar style plaza and the atmosphere was brilliant outside the stadium with bars and burgers and a band etc (that German beer was strong so maybe it was just a guitar can’t remember lol) 

The club should look into doing this kind of thing more imo when the weather is forecast to be good, when we were over in Gothenburg last month we went to a game & they had barbeques, official pop up merch stalls, a bar, music playing & a bouncy castle. Made it a great atmosphere like you said.

Glory Hunter
11 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Notts County are non league now, so it’s SCFC 1863 

Jambo 4 Ever
4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Is this game going to have any of our current first team playing in it

I think so

hopefully shankland too 

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Stoke casuals heading up also, great. 

Deary me. Didn’t know such things still existed. 🤷‍♂️ Got my ticket today. 🥸

14 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

You ever been to Stoke ……….. it is either this or Alton Towers and it is far too hot for that at the moment 

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

You ever been to Stoke ……….. it is either this or Alton Towers and it is far too hot for that at the moment 

Driven through it a few times but never stopped. 😄

Just now, davemclaren said:

Driven through it a few times but never stopped. 😄

Good plan unless you are really in to folk in bucket hats doing impressions of Liam Gallagher or moulding mud in to vases 

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Unfortunately they do, police are warning folk. 

John Findlay

Stoke is a rundown city.

However it has two decent universities and the Bet365 is a decent stadium.

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Stoke is a rundown city.

However it has two decent universities and the Bet365 is a decent stadium.

Stayed there in 1996 as a base for a couple of trips to Alton Towers.  Didn’t think it was too bad…..long time since 96 mind you.  

Just now, Debut 4 said:

Stayed there in 1996 as a base for a couple of trips to Alton Towers.  Didn’t think it was too bad…..long time since 96 mind you.  

Cmoan it was crap lol

tynietigers

Numbers are a lot lower than expected, but the B team start on the same day and I know if a lot of boys more interested in that.

Glory Hunter
2 hours ago, SCFHearts said:

Hibs will sort them out 😀

As with any largish team that are generally well supported, there always a few. Absolute minority and my guess is they will save up for Millwall away the following week (the Edinburgh trip isn’t a cheap one if staying over). Hope that’s the case as the rest of us looking forward to a good weekend and a few beers. Stoke remain a bit tarnished by some misdemeanours involving the “naughty 40” many years ago. These days the casuals are 15/16 year olds who will be bladdered after 3 pints. 

Fxxx the SPFL
On 18/07/2022 at 20:51, Glory Hunter said:

Thought Sheffield United or Sheffield Hallam as they were known are the oldest club 

john thomas
7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Stoke casuals heading up also, great. 

Stoke is not a bonny place . 

Ex brother in law down there did time for football violence . Don't think he'll be one of the casuals , hopefully not anyway 

After all I did shag his sister 

I am totally buzzing for this.

Looking forward to seeing Shankland and our other summer signings and expect to see our whole squad getting game team against a decent English side.

And looking forward to seeing Rudi and various other Hearts legends at half time.

Bit disappointed at the ticket sales and reckon the club could do a bit more to promote it. The latest advert is just about PPV and doesn't even mention tickets. Any word of the Wheatfield or Gorgie being opened given that the seats left in the Main Stand aren't the best?

Thought Police

I imagine that Gorgie will be opened for walk ups. Main stand effectively sold out.

2 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

I imagine that Gorgie will be opened for walk ups. Main stand effectively sold out.

Gorgie stand Section X tickets available just now

2 hours ago, Thought Police said:

Good news.  10,000 plus I hope.

On 18/07/2022 at 16:11, Well Be With You said:

Are stoke still pouring money down the drain?, did they not lose £140m+ over a 2 year period after being relegated.   

If we have the 'upper hand' it just shows how much of a mess and over inflated the game is down south 

smartin1987

Stoke have just got beat 2-0 off Bristol rovers prior to that drew 1-1 with fleetwood. A full main stand I think is very decent looking forward to it.

I'm not sure on this game. On one hand it sounds like a kickabout between friends and then on the other we are looking to give Rowes game time indicating it's a serious workout.

Guess that's the monopoly of testimonials. Anyone know how it'll likely play out?

Edited by Homme

1 hour ago, Homme said:

I'm not sure on this game. On one hand it sounds like a kickabout between friends and then on the other we are looking to give Rowes game time indicating it's a serious workout.

Guess that's the monopoly of testimonials. Anyone know how it'll likely play out?

Why not come and find out for yourself