Gary Locke Testimonial match v Stoke - July 23 ( Gorgie Club open )

icyellow69

5 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Who could forget?

Obviously you. Not one single thing you have said about Locke's playing career is even close to being correct.

When exactly was Locke out for a year before the 98 Cup final? Or in fact when was he out for a year ever? He had a bad injury 96 cup final but that was last game of the season and was recuperating closed season and for a few months in 96/97 in fact back playing January 97.

He hardly then came back and spoiled the cup presentation he played that season right up until 3 weeks before the final in 97/98. 

He went to Bradford in January 2001 and had played almost every game of season 2000/01 for us up until this point so not sure how he got fit - when he was fully fit and was playing every week for us prior to going to Bradford. 

Still don't let any facts get in the way of what you remember.

http://londonhearts.com/scores/players/lockegaryap.html

Telt.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elmore

• Jambo 4 Ever

• davemclaren

• Kiwidoug

6 minutes ago, Boab said:

Great post, mate. Agree with every word.

Met him a few times and a bigger Jambo you won't find.

I was only replying to a post saying it was 1-0 against Caley by the way !

?

You won't get bigger Jambo's than his family. Home and away every week. That includes the first division days. Was his dad not in the paper a couple of years ago photographed giving someone abuse?  I know he wasn't that good as s manager, but to slate the guy in here is a bit much. 

It should have been ten
6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Gary was looking an excellent player until that cup final injury. He was never quite the same after that imo. 

I thought he was a wee bit overrated tbh

Seymour M Hersh
22 minutes ago, Elmore said:

You won't get bigger Jambo's than his family. Home and away every week. That includes the first division days. Was his dad not in the paper a couple of years ago photographed giving someone abuse?  I know he wasn't that good as s manager, but to slate the guy in here is a bit much. 

They're not bigger jumbos than anyone else. Just because they can afford to go home and away doesn't make them special. They're good jumbos no doubt but there are thousands of others just as good.

Re a testimonial Gary. I don't think he deserves one. A  promising midfielder who never looked close to the same player after that terrible injury in the 96 cup final. 

Sandy Clark
1 hour ago, WalterWhite said:

Testimonial no but don't slate the guy am sure if you came in contact with the man you would be first to ask for a photo or a handshake.

Having met Gary on a few occasions since his role as ambassador I've been really impressed, especially as Robbo was a hard act to follow. Locke always speaks well and has time for everybody young and old. 

No testimonial necessary in my opinion but I completely understand the polarising opinions of his spell as manager.

15 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

They're not bigger jumbos than anyone else. Just because they can afford to go home and away doesn't make them special. They're good jumbos no doubt but there are thousands of others just as good.

Re a testimonial Gary. I don't think he deserves one. A  promising midfielder who never looked close to the same player after that terrible injury in the 96 cup final. 

Don't take that statement literally. Just another way of saying that they are a big jambo family. Thats what i meant.  Though I can't remember any of them being fat bassas...

33 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

I thought he was a wee bit overrated tbh

Not as good as Ritchie or McLaren but he was really good for a couple of seasons before his injury. 

gerryjambo41
6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I've got over 40 years supporting the club. Should get a long service medal for that, especially after the yo-yo years where we followed the club through thin and thinner.

Likewise mate but 98,06 And 2012 made all the shite worth it ?

gerryjambo41

Back on topic Gary is one of our own who lived the dream . Player , Captain , coach then manager and also a really nice guy . I wouldn’t want him back as manager though sorry Gary ?

Maybe Robbo could arrange for us to play ICT for this , ICT could have 9 men obviously.

Great jambo, decent player ,before his major injury in 96 , testimonial? No.

Gary is a fan, who when not working for this club, went to the games as a fan, that includes when he worked for Kilmarnock ! Glad he is back in the fold,never a wage thief, long may his association with us continue.

I'd pay for a ticket to go to a testimonial for Locke (as long as pressley wasn't playing) 

Locke is one of us.

8 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Who could forget?

Obviously you. Not one single thing you have said about Locke's playing career is even close to being correct.

When exactly was Locke out for a year before the 98 Cup final? Or in fact when was he out for a year ever? He had a bad injury 96 cup final but that was last game of the season and was recuperating closed season and for a few months in 96/97 in fact back playing January 97.

He hardly then came back and spoiled the cup presentation he played that season right up until 3 weeks before the final in 97/98. 

He went to Bradford in January 2001 and had played almost every game of season 2000/01 for us up until this point so not sure how he got fit - when he was fully fit and was playing every week for us prior to going to Bradford. 

Still don't let any facts get in the way of what you remember.

http://londonhearts.com/scores/players/lockegaryap.html

****ing Smackdown! 

:rofl:

wheatfield to sheffield

Supporter, player, captain, manager. Who else has ever been all of that for the Hearts?

wheatfield to sheffield
4 minutes ago, wheatfield to sheffield said:

Supporter, player, captain, manager. Who else has ever been all of that for the Hearts?

Except Jim Jefferies (he quickly added)

cwalker1874
10 hours ago, Shedro said:

Aye who can forget him being injured for well over a year then (for me) spoiling the 98 Cup presentation then after Hearts getting him fully fit he buggers of after Jim Jeffries to Bradford, then comes back after his Kilmarnock contract and does his coaching badges and eventually gets the main job alongside Darren Murray only to then bring that turn coat Billy Brown back and gradually pushes him to the side (luckily he got the Wolves job) and then continues to see us lose a semi final against Cali thistle after strolling the game at Easter Road and also we are done at Hampden from St Midden and then we were relegated when he settled for draws when we were needing wins, he's undoubtedly a 100% died in the wool Hearts man but I wouldn't think a Testimonial is in order as he's STILL living off the club to this day. ?

You need to get a grip! Regardless of his coaching ability he bleeds maroon! Bigger fan than you will ever be keyboard warrior.

Lockey is a decent bloke. Undoubtedly a Hearts man and a fan. Deserving of a testimonial probably not, in the correct role at Hearts probably. Anyone who doubts his feelings to the club is deluded. He is a thoroughly decent bloke, who loves the club nothing more,nothing less.

1 minute ago, BarneyBattles said:

I’ve got a huge amount of time for him but he completely f*cked that semi up. Playing against 9 men without making any tactical changes because you didn’t know how to win the game was unforgivable. 

An absolutely top hearts man however and I wish him all the best. 

Do you think he deliberately lost the semi? Of course not, he was very limited as a manager and this is why Kilmarnock, Raith and Cowdenbeath moved him on. 

The guy did have a fantastic record against Hibs and won that now infamous relegation party derby.

As a player don't forget if he doesn't sustain that horrible injury his career could have been so much bigger.

Lockey the manager was passionate, worked under horrible circumstances and struggled. Lockey the person is jambo through and through.

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Elmore said:

Don't take that statement literally. Just another way of saying that they are a big jambo family. Thats what i meant.  Though I can't remember any of them being fat bassas...

Damn the predictive thingy on here!!! That was of course meant to be jambos!! :laugh:

4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Damn the predictive thingy on here!!! That was of course meant to be jambos!! :laugh:

I forgot I why I had posted fat bassa. I was looking back through the thread and thought you would think I was calling you one. Relief when I saw the word jumbo again. shit myself :laugh:

I remember when this place used to have comments from Hearts supporters......Gary Locke spoiled the cup final presention, FFS.

If we had a few more with Gary's comitment some of the glory hunters that seems to call themselves Hearts fans nowadays might be a bit less bitter.

Class of 75

As a Hearts supporter I cannot believe some of the negative comments made towards Gary. He is one of us and is a passionate supporter of the club serving as both a  player and Manager. I am proud to know Gary as a friend and have done for many years and I would hope that at one point in the future the club sees fit to reward his service with a testimonial. 

Edited by Class of 75
Spelling

9 hours ago, Longshanks said:

I'd pay for a ticket to go to a testimonial for Locke (as long as pressley wasn't playing) 

Locke is one of us.

He is indeed.  If I ever have the privilege of meeting him I will thank him for everything he had done for us over decades.

One great Jambo.

Remain Nameless01

The injury to Locke in ‘96 robbed us of what might have been and he was never the same player after that, but the cup presentation in ‘98 was a tad embarrassing. Fulton should have lifted the cup on his own as captain or Locke on his own as club captain. Can’t be denied they got in each other’s way.

John Findlay
19 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Gary, like most on here, loves the club and has served us well in a variety of roles. I suggest the one he’s doing at the moment is a perfect perfect fit.

However, I don’t think he should get a testimonial. I tend to agree with view they are thing of the past for a variety of reasons.

I can get why his time as manager may have soured some fans feelings towards him. It didn’t work out whatever way you look at it, however, more than anyone he wanted to be a success as a manager. I try not to be critical of people who had good intentions.

He had both hands tied behind his back as manager. There are quite a few players particularly Callum Paterson who wouldn't be where they are if it had not been for Gary Locke. A deficit of 15 points before a ball was kicked was a very tough ask. League Cup Final. We should have been out of site by half time. Certain players let the club and supporters down that day. John Sutton being guilty the most. Not Gary Locke. 

Maroon Sailor

Nothing wrong with the cup presentation in 98 in as far as it was on a podium.

Wouldn't have looked right if he climbed the steps at Hampden and I don't think it would've happened in that scenario.

Cringeworthy is when a tit like Dennis Wise takes his baby up with him to lift the cup.

i wish jj was my dad
16 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

The amount of grudges Hearts fans have against some of our staff baffles me. 

Indeed. Part of our pre season training must involve pumping wives, sisters and mothers of the most insecure losers in our number.

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Indeed. Part of our pre season training must involve pumping wives, sisters and mothers of the most insecure losers in our number.

I think many want pumped themselves but been knocked back. Topical, given the USA s footballer thread. :ninja:

...a bit disco

At Contalmaison this morning.

DhAmklGXkAAU0-n.jpg

If nothing else, Gary Locke is a brilliant ambassador for this club. A club he quite clearly loves.

Pics from Twitter.

davemclaren

Over 20 years since we won the cup in ‘98 and this is the first I’ve heard anyone say that the cup presentation was embarrassing. That was the first time I’d seen Hearts win a trophy and if Gary had done handstands naked I might just have joined in!!

quite amazing to have a feelng of embarrassment. ??‍♂️??‍♂️

I’d never heard a single Hearts fan complaining about GL lifting the cup with Fulton in ‘98 until after his stint as manager. All of a sudden it was a big deal and it even ruined the event for some.

:cornette: x 100000000000

P.S. I’d love to see Gary get a testimonial.

cubanjambo
46 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Over 20 years since we won the cup in ‘98 and this is the first I’ve heard anyone say that the cup presentation was embarrassing. That was the first time I’d seen Hearts win a trophy and if Gary had done handstands naked I might just have joined in!!

This is best post on the thread, thank you Dave !

maroonnicky63
14 hours ago, Class of 75 said:

As a Hearts supporter I cannot believe some of the negative comments made towards Gary. He is one of us and is a passionate supporter of the club serving as both a  player and Manager. I am proud to know Gary as a friend and have done for many years and I would hope that at one point in the future the club sees fit to reward his service with a testimonial. 

well said sir, I have met Gary on a number of occasions and have always found him very polite and friendly , he loves Hearts and it shows which is more than can be said for another so called legend who I have also met and came no where near as genuine as Gary.I will let you make your mind up who that is on your own. 

20 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

well said sir, I have met Gary on a number of occasions and have always found him very polite and friendly , he loves Hearts and it shows which is more than can be said for another so called legend who I have also met and came no where near as genuine as Gary.I will let you make your mind up who that is on your own. 

I think I know who you mean. This is down to personal experience.  Some fans have asked why this 'legend' isn't working for the club in some capacity. Its easy to figure out why he isn't. If we are thinking of the same player, the man is an arrogant prick!  Does the man in question have ears like a bus stop?

Edited by Elmore

3 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

This thread is reeking of Hibs.

The op hasn't been back on to contribute anything to this thread. Something doesn't feel right with his motivation for starting this thread. 

On 6/30/2018 at 10:53, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Er, no.

YES he does and the club should let a Testimonial  Committee form to arrange one OK.

21 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

The amount of grudges Hearts fans have against some of our staff baffles me. 

The muppets who don't like Lockey are out of touch with what loyalty and loving your 

club is all about. They drag up things from the past and hold grievances that make 

them bitter against a man who bleeds maroon.

Bazzas right boot

Guys s like Gary are why we will go from strength to strength. 

He bleeds maroon, CL loves the club, Budge lives the club, compare that to others. 

Hibs--Lennon would jump ship if celtic winked at him, he still watches celtic games in the boozer, dempster - no ties to them. 

Rangers, King... Nuff said and Gérard will be off to any English side when the chance arises. 

Our guys make mistakes, no doubt, but I'd have our set up over the likes of the above 10/10. 

Hearts fans who seem to hate the likes of Locke, CL and even question Budge at every opportunity need to take a double take. 

17 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

I’ve got a huge amount of time for him but he completely f*cked that semi up. Playing against 9 men without making any tactical changes because you didn’t know how to win the game was unforgivable. 

An absolutely top hearts man however and I wish him all the best. 

Garry was completely out of his depth as manager but he stuck with it despite having both hands tied behind his back. I reckon he's due a big thank you for not walking away as who would have wanted to take that job on.

20 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

The muppets who don't like Lockey are out of touch with what loyalty and loving your 

club is all about. They drag up things from the past and hold grievances that make 

them bitter against a man who bleeds maroon.

And some of the things they are dragging up are pretty fickle reasons for disliking him. I didn't enjoy his time as the manager, but some of the claims on here are shocking. I don't think he should get a testimonial but to use some of the reasons given on here is out of order. 

Unknown user
19 hours ago, wheatfield to sheffield said:

Except Jim Jefferies (he quickly added)

And the great Sandy Jardine of course!

gorgie rd eh11
On 30/06/2018 at 11:04, Shedro said:

Aye who can forget him being injured for well over a year then (for me) spoiling the 98 Cup presentation then after Hearts getting him fully fit he buggers of after Jim Jeffries to Bradford, then comes back after his Kilmarnock contract and does his coaching badges and eventually gets the main job alongside Darren Murray only to then bring that turn coat Billy Brown back and gradually pushes him to the side (luckily he got the Wolves job) and then continues to see us lose a semi final against Cali thistle after strolling the game at Easter Road and also we are done at Hampden from St Midden and then we were relegated when he settled for draws when we were needing wins, he's undoubtedly a 100% died in the wool Hearts man but I wouldn't think a Testimonial is in order as he's STILL living off the club to this day. ?

Pathetic.

26 minutes ago, Smithee said:

And the great Sandy Jardine of course!

Good shout. He never even entered my mind. I was thinking of older players like tommy walker. Couldn't think of any others. 

27 minutes ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

Pathetic.

The injury and spoiling the cup presentation are bad enough. The 'STILL living of the club' comment is well out of order. You would think the club are sending him a giro every fortnight. He fecking works for the club.  Out his depth as a manager with us doesn't mean he deserves that kind of resentment.  

5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

X 10 Billion. Was at the 98 cup with Walter Kidd and Scott Crabbe. We all travelled in a mini bus and had an absolute ball of a day out. Playing the Hun, given their team at the time, we went more in hope than expectation. Think the day out was going to be enjoyed regardless of the score. As events unfolded though, we were delerious   with joy when the whistle went. To be honest, I think I was still dancing around with joy when the cup was lifted. Never once did I hear anyone say, “ ah well GL really spoiled my day by lifting the cup in his suit!” If he spoiled anyone’s day, on that day, I’d seriously be questioning that Hearts supporting persons credentials as a fan. Utter 5h1te from some people on here. I’d love to go back in time to have that feeling again  and I can guarantee the same feeling. GL didn’t spoil anything. 98 was better than the 5-1 in my opinion 

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

Pathetic.

I couldn't agree more. He's got quite a few bites though which obviously was the intention. 

maroonnicky63
4 hours ago, Elmore said:

I think I know who you mean. This is down to personal experience.  Some fans have asked why this 'legend' isn't working for the club in some capacity. Its easy to figure out why he isn't. If we are thinking of the same player, the man is an arrogant prick!  Does the man in question have ears like a bus stop?

The very man who put his 2 fingers up to every hearts fan some who worshipped him on his return to Tyncastle in the most unforgivable way

3 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

The very man who put his 2 fingers up to every hearts fan some who worshipped him on his return to Tyncastle in the most unforgivable way

:laugh: I'm thinking of someone else. Though my point still stands. The ex player I was on about is also an arrogant man. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Gary Locke Testimonial match v Stoke - July 23 ( Gorgie Club open )