• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It was Smart the builders.

He had some connection with Hibs.

Cheers for that - I remember those buses full of workers in donkey jackets. Just assumed they were miners

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It was Smart the builders.

He had some connection with Hibs.

Was it not Tom Hart (Hart Construction) that had the hibs connection?

John mcCartney
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Cheers for that - I remember those buses full of workers in donkey jackets. Just assumed they were miners

haha donkey jackets indeed.
steamed up windows,smoky atmosphere when they could all smoke cigs on the bus in the winter evenings spotting them heading back to east lothian after a shift on t building site.

hibs was hart builder,tom hart was vermin chairman for years iirc

2 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

haha donkey jackets indeed.
steamed up windows,smoky atmosphere when they could all smoke cigs on the bus in the winter evenings spotting them heading back to east lothian after a shift on t building site.

hibs was hart builder,tom hart was vermin chairman for years iirc

Just like this inside 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, EC_Hearts said:

You maybe right.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Apologies for giving the wrong info.

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Glad I grew up in the generation I did. It’s old, it’s shite, but it’s funny. Seen it loads of times and still pmsl.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
13 hours ago, EC_Hearts said:

It was. Wasn't it him that did the George best deal? 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Yes.

4 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Aye, he paid him 2000 notes per game from his own pocket, just so that George could pee it up a wall and not show up for their games. :rofl:

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

When and why did this turn into a replica of the "Where is this" thread?

Some people liked to see if they could recognise certain areas

Some posters didn't know the areas and looked to others to help out

Some pictures are quite obvious with only subtle changes in the present day

Some pictures are of areas that are completely different in the present day

It's a thread for everyone who has an interest in how Edinburgh used to look

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

Aye, he paid him 2000 notes per game from his own pocket, just so that George could pee it up a wall and not show up for their games. :rofl:

To be fair it was a pay when you play deal so it didn’t cost him much.

1 minute ago, obua said:

It was based on the size of the gate ? 

8 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Just done a quick google - being before my time I'd never properly read into the whole Best/Hibs affair. Quite an interesting read this: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/george-best-and-hibernian-1979-1980-1-3958090

How Best himself sums up his time at Hibs:  “To be honest, I couldn’t take [playing for Hibs] seriously." 

22 hours ago, EC_Hearts said:

Tom Hart owned Hibs, he was chairman for many years - and a good Jambo ?

My late father in law was great mates with him in the immediate post was years and worked for him for many years. He was put in charge of building Harts big hoose in Ravelston. 

13 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I think it's because a lot of the posts are just old photographs without any information - people responding with the places are either genuinely asking if that's where it is or are signposting it for others. 

If we want to stop that - I don't know if we do - we could make a rule that if you post a photo, you need to say where it is and if you don't know, you ask in the post? 

3 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

Just done a quick google - being before my time I'd never properly read into the whole Best/Hibs affair. Quite an interesting read this: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/george-best-and-hibernian-1979-1980-1-3958090

How Best himself sums up his time at Hibs:  “To be honest, I couldn’t take [playing for Hibs] seriously." 

My missus met him at a bash in Edinburgh during his Hibs days. He was off his tits drunk and told my missus "smoking is bad for you". She said " so is vodka". 

Maroon Sailor

George signing his bar bill

IMG_3552.JPG

Not sure why Richard Whiteley was there or why he is sporting that dodgy tache.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

23 minutes ago, obua said:

Didn't know that.

6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Didn't know that.

Yes,they didn’t announce the team until near kick off as they knew it would have a big impact on gate if he wasn’t playing..

4 minutes ago, obua said:

Yes,they didn’t announce the team until near kick off as they knew it would have a big impact on gate if he wasn’t playing..

Makes sense I suppose.

Francis Albert
34 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

I think it's because a lot of the posts are just old photographs without any information - people responding with the places are either genuinely asking if that's where it is or are signposting it for others. 

If we want to stop that - I don't know if we do - we could make a rule that if you post a photo, you need to say where it is and if you don't know, you ask in the post? 

It was a question. I don't want to deter anyone posting on a great thread. Your last suggestion might help keeping it a genuine history/nostalgia thread and reduce the guessing game element cross-over from the other (also great) thread.

48 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Rather sweeping troll even for you. Where is  This is of a slightly competitive game, where the identifier is awarded points, it is based on world wide pictures, and is actually both interesting and educational, a good thread. This Edinburgh History thread is also interesting and educational, but has a lesser geographic nature, in that it is strictly Edinburgh as some of us once knew it and others find interest in seeing what went before. We can also create our own opinion as to whether the changes are positive or negative. Life is to be enjoyed, and content will not suit everyone, but when there is one comment among many questioning content, then the questioner becomes more of a problem thn the content.

Francis Albert
Just now, bobsharp said:

Rather sweeping troll even for you. Where is  This is of a slightly competitive game, where the identifier is awarded points, it is based on world wide pictures, and is actually both interesting and educational, a good thread. This Edinburgh History thread is also interesting and educational, but has a lesser geographic nature, in that it is strictly Edinburgh as some of us once knew it and others find interest in seeing what went before. We can also create our own opinion as to whether the changes are positive or negative. Life is to be enjoyed, and content will not suit everyone, but when there is one comment among many questioning content, then the questioner becomes more of a problem thn the content.

As I said. Just a question. It wasn't trolling. Perhaps you should resist responding to what you imagine is trolling. As I have said more than once it is a great thread which kind of suggests I enjoy it!

And from memory the "Where is this" thread was originally mainly Edinburgh based.It also was and is a great thread as I have also said.

Despite it being me positive enough surely?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
4 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

I was only 6/7 at the time, usually listening to us losing to Morton, or someone on my dad's radio. First game was the Championship game v Airdrie, last game of 1978/80.

Maroon Sailor

Edinburgh Canal Street Station 1847-1868

IMG_3564.JPG.251ad21b214e84c8d192c99d7f6da968.JPGIMG_3565.GIF.80f34eb997380835861501daef7f480b.GIFIMG_3566.JPG.bdd274de820e67776e1b37bca1cdd9f6.JPGIMG_3567.JPG.8b2a153b810c73b116f0dc6a8d1338df.JPG

Notice Cockburn Street is down as Cockburn Road on the map

Edited by Maroon Sailor

alwaysthereinspirit
39 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2729.JPG

Venchie.

Craigmillar Primary and Wauchope Place in the back ground.

56 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

89DBB48C-8468-40DF-BF8A-C8A403EC6E28.jpeg

Is that coming up from York Place just at the old exit for bus station at the Travelers Tryst ?

13 minutes ago, dryJTlaw said:

Is that coming up from York Place just at the old exit for bus station at the Travelers Tryst ?

Yes, I agree.

The bus has just passed where Harvey Nics is now.

On 08/03/2019 at 20:53, Maroon Sailor said:

Edinburgh Canal Street Station 1847-1868

IMG_3564.JPG.251ad21b214e84c8d192c99d7f6da968.JPGIMG_3565.GIF.80f34eb997380835861501daef7f480b.GIFIMG_3566.JPG.bdd274de820e67776e1b37bca1cdd9f6.JPGIMG_3567.JPG.8b2a153b810c73b116f0dc6a8d1338df.JPG

Notice Cockburn Street is down as Cockburn Road on the map

From what I've seen on other maps it seems to have changed to Cockburn Street between 1863 and 1864.  

In the same period, King George IV Bridge, appearing on the above map, changes to plain old George IV Bridge.