McLaughlin signs for Sunderland ( updated )

Tenor

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Juanjo15

• Maroon Sailor

• SwindonJambo

Maroon Sailor
21 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

good luck to him he was a very good signing for us.

He was better than Flap Jack

Edited by Maroon Sailor

I'm not one for having an 'English team' but I've always liked the NE clubs for the passion and loyalty of their fans.

Despite never winning any honours (in the modern era) they still turn up nevertheless. 

Proper football fans they are.

Jon signing for Sunderland along with the other Scots in the team is a good reason to follow their progress. Hope they get back to the EPL asap.

Edited by luckydug

Maroon Sailor
18 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I'm not one for having an 'English team' but I've always liked the NE clubs for the passion and loyalty of their fans.

Despite never winning any honours (in the modern era) they still turn up nevertheless. 

Jon signing for Sunderland along with the other Scots in the team is a good reason to follow their progress. Hope they get back to the EPL asap.

It's criminal Sunderland are in that league

Jamboscanbevicius

I have no love for Sunderland, but good luck to Jon. He did well for us and can’t blame him for taking a payday for his family.

Nookie Bear

I bet when he decided to leave at the end of his contract in the summer he had his sights set a lot higher than the English 3rd tier, regardless of the stature of the club.

Thought the big man was excellent signing but think going to Sunderland is all about money!!

he won’t play in Europe wae them

he won’t win trophies wae them

maybe ended his Scotland No 1 chance by playing in crappie English 3rd tier..

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Normally I try not to bite, but I'm having a bad day so hey ho.

I honestly think that (in my memory) this is the worst and nickname some of our support have had for a player!

Every time I read it I cringe.

Can you imagine being Jack Hamilton, young goalkeeper with a major self confidence problem, and finding out that your nickname is FlapJack.....

Just f****** ridiculous.

Anyway, rant over.

Good luck to McLaughlin at Sunderland. Hopefully he can play a part in their big rebuild

Maroon Sailor
18 minutes ago, Gulf Jambo said:

Normally I try not to bite, but I'm having a bad day so hey ho.

I honestly think that (in my memory) this is the worst and nickname some of our support have had for a player!

Every time I read it I cringe.

Can you imagine being Jack Hamilton, young goalkeeper with a major self confidence problem, and finding out that your nickname is FlapJack.....

Just f****** ridiculous.

Anyway, rant over.

Good luck to McLaughlin at Sunderland. Hopefully he can play a part in their big rebuild

I only seen it mentioned on here.

Put it this way he's not getting that name if he was a solid, reliable keeper.

FWIW he's not the worse goalkeeper in the club's history. If you saw Brian Wilson you will know what I mean

2 hours ago, luckydug said:

Same here - I had an ST at Fulham for a year when living in London, and the Sunderland and Newcastle visiting fans were the best by a country mile. Not fussed about the clubs but the fans are good.

10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

FWIW he's not the worse goalkeeper in the club's history. If you saw Brian Wilson you will know what I mean

I know what you mean. Hope the kid comes good at Dundee though as seems like a good bloke

Didn't mean to call you out specifically just the name in general.

As i said, not been a good day...

10 minutes ago, Gulf Jambo said:

I know what you mean. Hope the kid comes good at Dundee though as seems like a good bloke

Preseason training getting you down at Dundee, flapjack? 

:lol:

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, Gulf Jambo said:

I think the move would do him good.

Similar situation to Ian Westwater when he was named as Pishwater but went on to have a decent career away from Hearts

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, Bauld said:

To be fair, Sunderland have no business being in that league.

With the size of their fan base, stadium of 50k, money being in England provides, they should be in the EPL. 

It is down to bad management from board to touchline that they are where they are.

He has joined what is a huge club that has been run badly.

If they start doing it right he has made a terrific move.

Huge club who will never win a major trophy or get close to one or will not play in Europe in the next ten years, who are in the third tier and who will not make a mark of note in England, likely ever. 

Just because they have sky money and can pay 15k a week does not make them a big club. 

5 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Was a good keeper for us but in a totally forgettable season so I doubt i’ll Remember much about him in 10 years time

Ending Celtic's unbeaten run with a 4-0 hammering, knocking Hibs out the cup and then stopping them finishing 2nd. Not a totally forgettable season! McLaughlin played a strong part in achieving that!

But yeah an odd season, one with many lows along the way.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
21 minutes ago, kila said:

Ending Celtic's unbeaten run with a 4-0 hammering, knocking Hibs out the cup and then stopping them finishing 2nd. Not a totally forgettable season! McLaughlin played a strong part in achieving that!

But yeah an odd season, one with many lows along the way.

I'll give you the 4-0

itsnomarooned

So, are we more, or less, happy that he's gone to Sunderland rather than Azerbaijan? Is he a good guy or does he retain some sort of comedy villain status?

17 minutes ago, benny said:

The first decent signing Ross has made.

McGuire is a good player. 

Stephen Muddie
26 minutes ago, itsnomarooned said:

So, are we more, or less, happy that he's gone to Sunderland rather than Azerbaijan? Is he a good guy or does he retain some sort of comedy villain status?

It's a worse move than Azerbaijan football wise but could end up the  better move if they were to gain promotion

LeylandJambo

Don't see what the problem is. He signed for Sunderland as a free agent he also served us well during his time here so good luck to the guy.

letsalldothebeattie

Good move for him good pay day too. If Ross gets it right he will be a championship goalkeeper again next season. 

Anyone remember U.F.O. from the early 70`s? No one quit SHADOW, they were disposed of (never actually mentioned but hugely hinted at). Maybe as a club we should look into this as it helped Ed Straker build a solid team. :) 

doctor jambo
2 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Huge club who will never win a major trophy or get close to one or will not play in Europe in the next ten years, who are in the third tier and who will not make a mark of note in England, likely ever. 

Just because they have sky money and can pay 15k a week does not make them a big club. 

That, sadly, is the Scottish Football attitude

By your measure Scotland only has 2 big clubs, the rest of us merely hingers oan

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

That, sadly, is the Scottish Football attitude

By your measure Scotland only has 2 big clubs, the rest of us merely hingers oan

Quite the opposite. 

Aberdeen, ICT, Hearts, St Johnstone, Ross County, St mirren, hibs have all won cups in the past 6/7 years, Motherwell, killie and rangers been to finals. 

Many have been to semi finals and played in europe

We'll also have big games v hibs, ranger's and Celtic. 

Sunderland...? 

Let's not pretend, if we could even get to £10k a week wage, he'd be here. 

English clubs can pay more, there is nothing football related about choosing a league 2 club over Hearts, even Sunderland. 

Money only. 

That is the English attitude, backed by sky. 

Money over football in this case 100%.

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Quite the opposite. 

Aberdeen, ICT, Hearts, St Johnstone, Ross County, St mirren, hibs have all won cups in the past 6/7 years, Motherwell, killie and rangers been to finals. 

Sunderland...? 

English clubs can pay more, there is nothing football related about choosing a league 2 club over Hearts, even Sunderland. 

Money only. 

If Sunderland played in the Scottish League they would win trophies as well

No Scottish club would win an English trophy

maroonnicky63
8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

:laugh: you really can't help yourself can you , even when players leave you still have a dig, what a sad man ,just support your team and get rid of all that bitterness inside you, lets look forward to a good season and concentrate on the boys who are playing for us.Jack tried his best and that's all you can ask of any player

Adam_the_legend
15 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

:laugh: you really can't help yourself can you , even when players leave you still have a dig, what a sad man ,just support your team and get rid of all that bitterness inside you, lets look forward to a good season and concentrate on the boys who are playing for us.Jack tried his best and that's all you can ask of any player

:sob:

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

If Sunderland played in the Scottish League they would win trophies as well

No Scottish club would win an English trophy

Celtic could. 

Maroon Sailor
32 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

He plays for Dundee as he was not good enough for Hearts

See my post further down before jumping in again. The move might do him the world of good because he was never ready for Hearts.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
35 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Oh aye and another thing ....

Football fans can usually see these things. Doesn't mean you don't want them to do well but if you get a chance you have to make the most of it.

He couldn't handle it - literally at times

Maroon Sailor

Nope can't find it ..... Metal Nicky's post about wanting Jack Hamilton to start instead of McLaughlin. So much for getting behind the team

Edited by Maroon Sailor

7 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Or Craig Nelson...

Maroon Sailor
23 minutes ago, nijambo said:

Or Craig Nelson...

Glad I forgot about him !

i wish jj was my dad
8 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I'll give you the 4-0

Having 15 teenagers making first team appearances. More than any other team in Europe apparently. 

I think we should be quite proud of that.

Punks No Deid
22 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Having 15 teenagers making first team appearances. More than any other team in Europe apparently. 

I think we should be quite proud of that.

more than just quite I’d say 

i wish jj was my dad
6 minutes ago, Punks No Deid said:

more than just quite I’d say 

Just a tad.

jacklivi1874

Al the best to John, decisions in football and how they pan out are sometimes  great on hindsight.He done a job for us and has moved on..Thats football..Best wishes

SwindonJambo
5 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Quite the opposite. 

Sunderland...? 

Money only. 

If Sunderland played in the Scottish League, they’d be the next biggest club behind the OF by a country mile and be able to compete with them and no mistake. Ludicrous comparisons here. Football is a short career. If McLoughlin can triple his wages by going to Sunderland, even  in the 3rd tier of the English League, he’d be daft not to go. He has a family.

Captain Canada

Good luck to him but I can't help thinking he's just ended his international career with that move. A player in the English third division is unlikely to be playing at a high enough level every week to make the step up to an important qualifier for his country. 

I don't blame him moving for the cash. He could have handled his exit much better, but I'm sure he'll do well for them.