McLaughlin signs for Sunderland ( updated )

Tenor

He'll regret it in his future years.

Should have stayed and become a Jambo legend like previous keepers.

Like I said, he'll regret it.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Juanjo15

• Maroon Sailor

• SwindonJambo

gashauskis9
59 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

"Arse end of nowhere" ??

Do you work for the Foreign Office?

Brilliant.

???, aye well travelled me!

About as much sense in that move as McGinn to South Korea. I genuinely do not know why these clubs in foreign lands waste their time and money on UK players. They do not travel well. He'll be back in the UK in less than 18 months.

Doctor FinnBarr

As a spray-painter in Edinburgh in the late 80s (cars, top league....just follow me) I was earning a top line of £105 per week.

I then got a chance to move to West Germany to spray office furniture (stripped down filing cabinets and the likes, lower league) for a take home wage of £340 per week. I paid UK tax on half my top line (the other half was considered to be "living away from home subsistance") which wasn't taxable. The tax I paid could be reclaimed if I stayed outside of the UK for 300 days per year (I think), guess which option I took?

It actually killed my career as a car painter but I did work for a few more years as an industrial spray-painter.

So in summary, my move cost me my career but at the same time I got to live in a foreign country and more than treble my wages.....Don't blame Jon in the slightest, go where the money is highest mate, I've no complaints. He was only given a 1 year contract, now that was a big mistake.

Howdy Doody Jambo

I'm sure he would be welcomed back in the next few years, after he has made the big bucks, just like Nial Mcginn at Aberdeen did 

Goalkeepers can play till they are 40 these days anyway 

20 minutes ago, bikerjambo said:

As a spray-painter in Edinburgh in the late 80s (cars, top league....just follow me) I was earning a top line of £105 per week.

I then got a chance to move to West Germany to spray office furniture (stripped down filing cabinets and the likes, lower league) for a take home wage of £340 per week. I paid UK tax on half my top line (the other half was considered to be "living away from home subsistance") which wasn't taxable. The tax I paid could be reclaimed if I stayed outside of the UK for 300 days per year (I think), guess which option I took?

It actually killed my career as a car painter but I did work for a few more years as an industrial spray-painter.

So in summary, my move cost me my career but at the same time I got to live in a foreign country and more than treble my wages.....Don't blame Jon in the slightest, go where the money is highest mate, I've no complaints. He was only given a 1 year contract, now that was a big mistake.

What length of contract did he ask for?

Stephen Muddie

Hope he enjoys it the greedy man. Not sure it'll do his scotland chances a whole lot of good. 

A poor move football wise.

Doctor FinnBarr
28 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

What length of contract did he ask for?

I've no idea to be honest mate, I'd thought he'd be offered more than one year but apparently not

Samuel Camazzola

I take it quite a few folk on here think Baku is just a few cattle farms and transport relies on donkeys? :laugh:

This is a cracking opportunity for him if all true. It would be a wonderful life experience, financially rewarding and the chance to live in what seems to be a beautiful city. I know very little about the football culture there but the team seem to be progressing well. 

18 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Remember years ago Boston Red Sox pitcher Roger Clemens not signing a new Contract as he wanted to play closer to his  home in Texas. Fair enough.

He then signed for Toronto. ?

Toronto is closer to Houston.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
On 6/22/2018 at 08:55, Sarah O said:

Great move to somewhere completely different.

Maybe he's had enough of the Scotland set up after the tour to Peru and Mexico so it doesn't matter if he slips off the radar.  Also, great chance to live somewhere different AND set his family up finance wise for years.

No brainer to move.

I don´t get this slipping off the radar stuff. We´re not in 1980. The radar is truly global now with easy access high speed internet and media. Scotland need to get real and understand that in order to compete at international level we need to keep the radar as big and as wide as possible and utilise global scouting strategies. We see at the world cup, Vela for mexico ripped germany a new one. Guess what league vela plays in? The MLS in USA. There are still idiots who believe the MLS is a poor quality league. Jonny Russel has been tearing it up recently in the MLS so in my view he should be a scotland mainstay as that league is now of a decent standard. However until all of the call offs Russel had "dropped off the radar". Can´t we get it into our heads that the local scottish radar is well,  a bit crap really, so it´s actually imperative we keep a global track of things. Re John Mclaughlin well done to him if he goes to Baku, its a beaut place also a no brainer if hes getting a big offer financially. He´s a solid keeper and he should not under any circumstances fall off of any "radar" due to him playing in azerbaijan.

David McCaig
3 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

I don´t get this slipping off the radar stuff. We´re not in 1980. The radar is truly global now with easy access high speed internet and media. Scotland need to get real and understand that in order to compete at international level we need to keep the radar as big and as wide as possible and utilise global scouting strategies. We see at the world cup, Vela for mexico ripped germany a new one. Guess what league vela plays in? The MLS in USA. There are still idiots who believe the MLS is a poor quality league. Jonny Russel has been tearing it up recently in the MLS so in my view he should be a scotland mainstay as that league is now of a decent standard. However until all of the call offs Russel had "dropped off the radar". Can´t we get it into our heads that the local scottish radar is well,  a bit crap really, so it´s actually imperative we keep a global track of things. Re John Mclaughlin well done to him if he goes to Baku, its a beaut place also a no brainer if hes getting a big offer financially. He´s a solid keeper and he should not under any circumstances fall off of any "radar" due to him playing in azerbaijan.

He was off the radar in Burton!!!

Gordon, McGregor and Marshall will be the first choice picks and McLaughlin will soon be forgotten about.

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I take it quite a few folk on here think Baku is just a few cattle farms and transport relies on donkeys? :laugh:

This is a cracking opportunity for him if all true. It would be a wonderful life experience, financially rewarding and the chance to live in what seems to be a beautiful city. I know very little about the football culture there but the team seem to be progressing well. 

Perhaps, does he not have young kids though? (maybe he doesn't)

I'd be less keen to relocate a young family. but if it was me on my own, i see the appeal.

35 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

He was off the radar in Burton!!!

Gordon, McGregor and Marshall will be the first choice picks and McLaughlin will soon be forgotten about.

I actually don't think the Scotland argument holds much water anyway, sadly due to the clubs they play for will have the no1 slot tucked up.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Seems like a good move to me. Beautiful place, better weather, up-and-coming team, improved salary.

Still, 'halal yak stew' was it? Deary me.

The Apprentice

BBC Gossip collum saying he’s rejecting the move abroad and likely going to Sunderland.

Can’t believe the state some people are getting in at the fact he is looking to try his luck elsewhere. He signed for a year, put in some great performances and got himself an international call-up. He will clearly get more attractive offers than the one we put forward in terms of salary, so good luck to him.  

132goals1958
34 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

I actually don't think the Scotland argument holds much water anyway, sadly due to the clubs they play for will have the no1 slot tucked up.

Coupled with the fact that the clown we have as a manager only gave him a 45 minuets stint recently 

Folk discussing Baku as if it's a hole. It's a cracking city ( just Google image search) and is hosting the Europa Final next season. Looks like he knocked back the deal anyway but I'd love to move to Baku for a few years on a massively increased salary

Bazzas right boot

Folk concerned his Scotland chances are doomed. 

He probably moved there to avoid playing for us again! 

michael_bolton

Some staggering ignorance on this thread. It's actually pretty funny.

What I've learned from this thread.

1) Taking a well-paid job in your profession is bad for your career.

2) Leaving Scotland's sixth-best team to go to a side that has been a regular participant in European group stages recently is a bad career move.

3) Moving to a side that regularly gets much wider media exposure than Hearts (due to playing in Europe) leaves you 'off the radar'.

Jings.

I don't care where he goes, but some of the views on this thread are tragic.

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, The Apprentice said:

BBC Gossip collum saying he’s rejecting the move abroad and likely going to Sunderland.

Can’t believe the state some people are getting in at the fact he is looking to try his luck elsewhere. He signed for a year, put in some great performances and got himself an international call-up. He will clearly get more attractive offers than the one we put forward in terms of salary, so good luck to him.  

Probably makes more sense from a family point of view. I've read some things saying his wife would like to move back to the North Yorkshire area, and from that area to Sunderland is about a 40-50 mile drive up the A1. If he wants to move on we just have to accept it and move on as well.

Carl Fredrickson
20 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Would he be no1 at Sunderland? No idea who they have keepers wise.

Without a doubt. They tried 3 different keepers last season and all of them made more than a couple howlers. All Jon has to be is be a steady keeper and he will be their first choice. 

9 hours ago, bikerjambo said:

I've no idea to be honest mate, I'd thought he'd be offered more than one year but apparently not

I was thinking it might have been JM who only wanted to sign for a year.

Hungry hippo
19 hours ago, Longshanks said:

Let's see how many Scotland caps he gets if he makes this move :lol:

He got only one playing in the UK. If he plays regularly in Champions League he'll have a good chance of adding some more.

Jambof3tornado
26 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

He got only one playing in the UK. If he plays regularly in Champions League he'll have a good chance of adding some more.

Have Sunderland qualified for the CL then?

Hungry hippo
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Have Sunderland qualified for the CL then?

He can move where he likes. Was just pointing out that as long as he's doing well it shouldn't impact his international chances wherever it is.

Sunderland just sold a keeper to Brighton, Jason Steele and given he made the biggest howler of all  last season ( V QPR at Loftus road)  but was their number 1 i’d imagine McLaughlin will be their first choice. 

As for his scotland career, i’m Not sure he would honestly lose sleep if he slipped out of contention.

he was in the squad for 4 games (360 minutes of football + stoppage times) and he was given 45 minutes of football. None of the games were competitive and 2 of the 4 keepers were given 180 and 90 in comparison. It would and should have been easy to play him in at least 1 of those games (particularly given McGregor played the first 2 full). Scotland and their selection process has long been and will continue to be a farce.

as for Baku, I would have loved that opportunity if I was a player. 

I have long said that had I been lucky enough to make it as a footballer I absolutely would have tried my luck abroad. Of course it’s easy to say that, but if it meant playing at an ok level, I would have quite happily gone to Slovakia, Poland, Austria, even the Baltic leagues like Estonia or Lithuania etc. Too many players are mothered and spoilt here, the life experience playing and living in those places would have been brilliant. 

* just using him as a particular example of journeyman there are probably others I also could have used but he was first to mind 

1 hour ago, BM1874 said:

. Too many players are mothered and spoilt here, the life experience playing and living in those places would have been brilliant. 

Yeah, that's fine for a young player with no family to consider. 

Jambof3tornado
4 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

He can move where he likes. Was just pointing out that as long as he's doing well it shouldn't impact his international chances wherever it is.

He wont get another cap.

4 hours ago, BM1874 said:

Sunderland just sold a keeper to Brighton, Jason Steele and given he made the biggest howler of all  last season ( V QPR at Loftus road)  but was their number 1 i’d imagine McLaughlin will be their first choice. 

As for his scotland career, i’m Not sure he would honestly lose sleep if he slipped out of contention.

he was in the squad for 4 games (360 minutes of football + stoppage times) and he was given 45 minutes of football. None of the games were competitive and 2 of the 4 keepers were given 180 and 90 in comparison. It would and should have been easy to play him in at least 1 of those games (particularly given McGregor played the first 2 full). Scotland and their selection process has long been and will continue to be a farce.

I have long said that had I been lucky enough to make it as a footballer I absolutely would have tried my luck abroad. Of course it’s easy to say that, but if it meant playing at an ok level, I would have quite happily gone to Slovakia, Poland, Austria, even the Baltic leagues like Estonia or Lithuania etc. Too many players are mothered and spoilt here, the life experience playing and living in those places would have been brilliant. 

* just using him as a particular example of journeyman there are probably others I also could have used but he was first to mind 

If he's not a hearts player I couldn't really care less about his Scotland career, its not sour grapes, at the best of times the national team depresses the hell out of me. Mcleish doesn't really seem one to try and rock the boat (and y'know actually do something to get us into a major tournament).

We still badly need another keeper to compete for #1. Dare I say it but Jamie Mac hasn't signed an extension and would probably be a cheap option for competition with Zlamal...

2 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Loads of people with families have jobs that take them abroad.

Anyway seems he may be off to Sunderland.

2 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Agree. And to be fair the part you quoted wasn’t necessarily aimed at McLaughlin but a general consensus of British players. 

Ive said it many times before but a lot of respect for Barry douglas 

went from Queen’s Park to Dundee United to lech Poznan, konyaspor and now wolves

and in that time he has

won the polish league and cup

the Turkish cup

played champions league qualifiers 

Europa league group stage

Won the championship

and been capped by scotland

of course it helped his Mrs went with him and embraced these places but when he retired he will have a varied and medal laden career to look back on

3 minutes ago, OTT said:

If he's not a hearts player I couldn't really care less about his Scotland career, its not sour grapes, at the best of times the national team depresses the hell out of me. Mcleish doesn't really seem one to try and rock the boat (and y'know actually do something to get us into a major tournament).

We still badly need another keeper to compete for #1. Dare I say it but Jamie Mac hasn't signed an extension and would probably be a cheap option for competition with Zlamal...

Fair and to to be honest I don’t know why i begin to try to care about the Scotland national team any more. 

I guess I just disagree with seeing uncapped players called up for friendlies to see Charlie Mulgrew, Grant Hanley and the likes of Matt Philips start or be brought on as a sun ahead of players who could have been capped.

im sure Jamie Mac is under contract until 2020 or 2021 and I don’t think he would be back here unless it was guaranteed as a #1

alwaysthereinspirit
On 6/23/2018 at 02:30, Peebo said:

Toronto is closer to Houston.

You are correct. (300 miles) But in my world as a Sox fan and an absolute dislike for all things Clemens. Anywhere in Canada is North. :)

Glamorgan Jambo
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Sunderland are interesting. New owner who is still sorting out the previous mess. Big cost cutting too. Maybe a risk going there.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/rokerreport.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/6/22/17492154/sunderland-owner-stewart-donald-gives-us-a-statement-regarding-the-times-finances-article-today

The risk is Jack Ross following in the footsteps of other Scottish managers and being found out in short order down south. If I was a Sunderland fan I'd be a bit concerned about the recruitment process based on the number of 'guys the manager knows' who are totally unproven in the physical battle that is English lower league football. 

On 23/06/2018 at 01:55, bikerjambo said:

He wouldn’t have accepted a longer contract.

Bindy Badgy
On 6/22/2018 at 07:12, JJ93 said:

Lol. I would not want to live in Azerbaijan. 

Don't see why you wouldn't to be honest. I haven't been myself but I've looked into it as a tourism destination as Baku looks very nice.

Return flights from Edinburgh airport can be had for around 400 quid so doesn't exactly break the bank to get home and visit family.

Can I just add how cool and open minded I am about Azerbaijan, having just googled Baku, and would love to move my whole family out there at the drop of a hat. Plus you would use £100 pound notes as bog roll for the rest of your life because you’d be that rich. 

Dalstonjambo
On 23/06/2018 at 11:06, michael_bolton said:

Some staggering ignorance on this thread. It's actually pretty funny.

What I've learned from this thread.

1) Taking a well-paid job in your profession is bad for your career.

2) Leaving Scotland's sixth-best team to go to a side that has been a regular participant in European group stages recently is a bad career move.

3) Moving to a side that regularly gets much wider media exposure than Hearts (due to playing in Europe) leaves you 'off the radar'.

Jings.

I don't care where he goes, but some of the views on this thread are tragic.

Absolutely spot on. 

On 22/06/2018 at 07:21, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Money before career type move 

No wonder, he's 30 years old and has earned peanuts so far.

On 22/06/2018 at 09:35, Bainy said:

Get the impression for him its more about life experiences and going and seeing new places rather than footballing security so I am sure this will appeal to him.

cant say I know much about the football over there but would imagine the weather will be a lot nicer - not so bad if your a goalie and not running around for 90 minutes.

5 league titles in a row and a Champions League Group Stage appearance last year, if he goes, its a step up for six games a year, should they qualify. 

Edited by The Brow

FarmerTweedy
On 22/06/2018 at 10:38, PeterintheRain said:

He and his wife could always go out and work instead of screwing the fans.  I certainly can blame him for it.  The greed and self entitlement of professional sportspersons is exactly the same as the greed and self entitlement of the bankers who wrecked the economy.  "It's a short career so we have to make as much money as we can".  If it's wrong in one case then it's wrong in every case.   Stop being an apologist for the people shitting on you.     

10 years of austerity and pay freezes for us but they still have to get millions a year or they'll go off and play in an Islamic Dictatorship.  There's no defence for that atitude. He can **** the **** off.

Ok comrade!

:rofl: