***World Cup 2018 - Argentina v Croatia***

Cade

Geoff the Mince

since they became a country in their own right the Croats have always have a good team 

and this with a country whose population is similar to ours .

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iantjambo

• milky_26

• Cruyff Turn

• AuldReekie444

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Ronaldo V Messi arguement will never be a closed case, Messi WAS well ahead of Ronaldo. However as he has faded in the last 18 months, Ronaldo has come to the fore and without doubt actually improved his game.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Geoff the Mince said:

since they became a country in their own right the Croats have always have a good team 

and this with a country whose population is similar to ours .

Yugoslavia weren't too bad either, probably being made up of Croats in the main

Croatia will be their usual. Win a game like tonight, be hyped to feck and then lose to some team they're expected to hammer. I wouldn't be surprised if Iceland beat them and I don't think those two will play out a draw even if Iceland win tomorrow. 

crichiejambos
22 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

What will happen now to the 'burds" thread without the Argentinian t!ts in the tournament?

Wo wo they've still got a game against Nigeria and if its a draw tomorrow between Iceland a Nigeria tomorrow they've a chance but they better play better than they did the night.

The Ronaldo jerk fest on here is pretty embarrassing tbf. Remind me, did Ronaldo drag a below par Portugal side past the 2014 group stages? No. Ronaldo was also part of the Portugal line up who couldn't beat Hungary, Iceland, or Austria at Euro 2016 and only got to the knockout round by virtue of 3rd place teams qualifying.

The cold hard fact is that Lionel Messi will never win a world cup, and it will be a long time before Argentina are ever again crowned world champions, regardless of having the world's best player or not 

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

The Ronaldo jerk fest on here is pretty embarrassing tbf. Remind me, did Ronaldo drag a below par Portugal side past the 2014 group stages? No. Ronaldo was also part of the Portugal line up who couldn't beat Hungary, Iceland, or Austria at Euro 2016 and only got to the knockout round by virtue of 3rd place teams qualifying.

The cold hard fact is that Lionel Messi will never win a world cup, and it will be a long time before Argentina are ever again crowned world champions, regardless of having the world's best player or not 

I'd rather people stopped comparing Ronaldo against Messi and started comparing teams again, personally.

Adam_the_legend
3 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

Hi Leo, tough result the night eh. 

2 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

Not that I care much for the debate but was it not Ronaldo who scored a hatrick to get them past Sweden in 2013 to get them in to the 2014 tournament in the first place? Regardless of the 2016 results they won the tournament

1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I'd rather people stopped comparing Ronaldo against Messi and started comparing teams again, personally.

It's pointless. 2 of the best players to have ever played the game are around at the same time and folk just want to have petty squabbles about who is better. An argument which nobody can ever win.

iain ferguson
21 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

What a shambles of a team Argentina are, manager didn’t have a clue! 

Croatia are a very good side, their midfield is possibly the best in this tournament, rakitic and modric :wub: 

Their manager is appalling. Surely you build the system round Messi and 2 out of the 4 fantastic strikers they have. However it does take a good manager to do something with the rest of the pish they have.

Poor game with both sides committing brutish fouls. Reminded me of Uruguay in their pomp. Croatia deserved it because they made fewer mistakes 

AuldReekie444
1 minute ago, davieholt said:

Poor game with both sides committing brutish fouls. Reminded me of Uruguay in their pomp. Croatia deserved it because they made fewer mistakes 

harsh. they were a team, had a plan, were organised etc

William H. Bonney
2 minutes ago, davieholt said:

I thought it was a cracking game. 

8 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

It's pointless. 2 of the best players to have ever played the game are around at the same time and folk just want to have petty squabbles about who is better. An argument which nobody can ever win.

Football fans discussing football players - who’d have thunk it ?

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

Pretty much this. 

The Ronaldo v Messi argument is a daft one. 

Both are a cut above and have been for ten years. 

Legends, no matter what else happens. 

Portugal won the ec with Ronaldo, Messi got to a wc final. 

Both nations unlikely to better that any time soon. 

Messi, for me is more exciting to watch, but both are absolutely brilliant. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

13 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Which would be the sensible thing to do Geoff but the world seems to have lost perspective of this and it's all now just one pissy little argument that will never be settled. Not now, nor when they retire.

29 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yugoslavia weren't too bad either, probably being made up of Croats in the main

I think the Serbs, Slovenians, Macedonians, Bosnians and probably others might think they contributed to Yugoslavia team, but they all seem strong as separate units, Yugoslavia not as good as they should have been with the talent they had?

Pele V Maradona is still burning brightly with no sign of a conclusion, the Ronaldo v Messi war has a long way to go :greggy:

Geoff the Mince
13 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

I thought it was a cracking game. 

Same here thought it was great .

42 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Messi tarnishing his legacy with yet another poor World Cup showing. He's been terrible. 

Argentina are absolutely rank.

Defensively I would fancy Scotland to fill our boots against them.

Oshaniwa had a better showing at a world cup than Otamendi. 

Messi is only one man. 

Croatia knew fine well that if they put 2 or 3 men on Messi the 8 they had left were better than Argentinas 10. 

If Messi can't get the ball he can't influence the game. 

Above all else though they have absolutely no team ethic at all. They look like a group or talented individuals (some not so talented) but they have no sense of team work and creativity.

It's what I touch on in my patience thread. A group of talented individuals will lose to an average team that has properly bonded. 

kirkierobroy

Croatia's population is actually over a million less than Scotland's.

Quite possible that the other team to qualify from the group might be Iceland, whose population is smaller than Edinburgh's.

Uruguay, Costa Rica still in the mix, both with smaller populations than ours, also Denmark which is about the same.

Euro 16 was the first nail in the coffin of the 'Och, we're just a small country, we cannae expect tae achieve much' excuse for Scotland's rubbishness. This World Cup is the final nail.

crichiejambos
17 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Pretty much this. 

The Ronaldo v Messi argument is a daft one. 

Both are a cut above and have been for ten years. 

Legends, no matter what else happens. 

Portugal won the ec with Ronaldo, Messi got to a wc final. 

Both nations unlikely to better that any time soon. 

Messi, for me is more exciting to watch, but both are absolutely brilliant. 

Both are undoubtedly the best players there's been in a generation and yays and nays could go on for ever! Each have achieved greatness on the pitch there's no question but off it now that's a different story! Ronaldo's personality on the pitch gives the impression that's he complete erse and up his own one! Messi the complete opposite yet if storeys are to believed it's the other way round?

AuldReekie444
2 minutes ago, kirkierobroy said:

Croatia's population is actually over a million less than Scotland's.

Quite possible that the other team to qualify from the group might be Iceland, whose population is smaller than Edinburgh's.

Uruguay, Costa Rica still in the mix, both with smaller populations than ours, also Denmark which is about the same.

Euro 16 was the first nail in the coffin of the 'Och, we're just a small country, we cannae expect tae achieve much' excuse for Scotland's rubbishness. This World Cup is the final nail.

oh god, youre not a nationalist that is invading football for your selfish ****wit political pov, are you

Isn’t the Arg manager the guy that took Chile to the South America cup thing. No mean feat.

looked like a washed up 80s gay casual tonight though.

Personally I think Argentina have been mediocre for years 

kirkierobroy
Just now, AuldReekie444 said:

oh god, youre not a nationalist that is invading football for your selfish ****wit political pov, are you

Eh, I think you're going to have to unpack that a bit for me, son.

AuldReekie444
3 minutes ago, kirkierobroy said:

Eh, I think you're going to have to unpack that a bit for me, son.

we are pish cos celtic and rangers. you play for them, you support them, you get to the scotland team.

I was wondering if you were attempting to say that independence was the solution in scotland.

32 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Football fans discussing football players - who’d have thunk it ?

Discussing? Nah. Having hissy fits at each other because someone has a different viewpoint on it. 

crichiejambos
17 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Personally. Pele will always be the best for me.

Na Maradona,Pele spent his entire career in Brazil other than faffin about with New York cosmos! Maradona in the hand went to Italy played abroad and single handedly dragged his country to be world champions! Yes pele was a World Cup winner but in a team of of winners yes maradona has had is issues  but football wise for me was a cut above .

1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

What a shambles of a team Argentina are, manager didn’t have a clue! 

Croatia are a very good side, their midfield is possibly the best in this tournament, rakitic and modric :wub: 

Perisic too

6 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Discussing? Nah. Having hissy fits at each other because someone has a different viewpoint on it. 

Forum needs a name change. 

www.Jamboshissyfit.co.uk

16 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Isn’t the Arg manager the guy that took Chile to the South America cup thing. No mean feat.

looked like a washed up 80s gay casual tonight though.

Personally I think Argentina have been mediocre for years 

Yeah tend to agree , imo ,  they have a fierce front 3 but no substance and if it wasnt for Messi they’d not have made Russia in the first place dragged them there on his own. Ronaldo is the same for Portugal but i think Ronaldo has that bit less pressure on him when he plays now certainly since they won Euro 16. 

Edited by sadj

7 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Forum needs a name change. 

www.Jamboshissyfit.co.uk

Don't mean just on here. The Messi v Ronaldo thing is everywhere. The comments under any tweet mentioning either of them by a Spanish football journalist descends into absolute chaos! And it isn't just with Madrid and Barca fans. It's like people are so set on building a case for their own choice that they are completely incapable of acknowledging the strengths of the other.

1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Don't mean just on here. The Messi v Ronaldo thing is everywhere. The comments under any tweet mentioning either of them by a Spanish football journalist descends into absolute chaos! And it isn't just with Madrid and Barca fans. It's like people are so set on building a case for their own choice that they are completely incapable of acknowledging the strengths of the other.

Fifa fans are hilarious with it

Ronaldo v Messi and

Suarez v Lewandowski 

portobellojambo1
14 minutes ago, sadj said:

Yeah tend to agree , imo ,  they have a fierce front 3 but no substance and if it wasnt for Messi they’d not have made Russia in the first place dragged them there on his own. Ronaldo is the same for Portugal but i think Ronaldo has that bit less pressure on him when he plays now certainly since they won Euro 16. 

Is it not a sort of problem for any of these teams who have what are generally classed as a "special" sort of player in their ranks. I suppose the three teams which come to mind in Russia are Portugal (Ronaldo), Argentina (Messi) and Brazil (Neymar). If those individual players don't function well in these team the overall team tend to suffer as a result. From the games that have been televised so far the only one of the three who have hit it off has been Ronaldo, but can he continue to carry the rest of the team. Or is it reasonable to assume that a more balanced overall team, in which everyone just gets on with doing their individual jobs will come out on top.

Edited by portobellojambo1

Big Slim Stylee

I’m not a regular punter but I’ve bet on Argentina as winners every WC since 1990.  It’s like a ritual. I’m such a fecking loser ?

kirkierobroy
29 minutes ago, AuldReekie444 said:

I was wondering if you were attempting to say that independence was the solution in scotland.

Someone else pointed out that Croatia, who had just stuffed Argentina 3-0, had the same population as us.

I merely pointed out that they're actually considerably smaller in population, as are some other teams in the tournament. And I pointed out that many used to excuse Scotland's rubbishness because we're wee. But it's actually no excuse.

That's all I said. Try to keep your imagination in check.

52 minutes ago, VALDOS said:

Pele V Maradona is still burning brightly with no sign of a conclusion, the Ronaldo v Messi war has a long way to go :greggy:

Has to be Pele.

Although!  He never played outside of the Brazilian league with Santos. And, before I get picked up here, I know he went to New York Cosmos at the tail end of his career.

To be honest, it’s a difficult one for me because, if you compare goals scored only, it’s Pele. If you compare where each played, it’s  Diego.

:turmoil: 

AuldReekie444
Just now, kirkierobroy said:

Someone else pointed out that Croatia, who had just stuffed Argentina 3-0, had the same population as us.

I merely pointed out that they're actually considerably smaller in population, as are some other teams in the tournament. And I pointed out that many used to excuse Scotland's rubbishness because we're wee. But it's actually no excuse.

Bloody will never imagine anything till the day I die. Thank you sir. 

Big Slim Stylee
1 minute ago, kirkierobroy said:

Chronic arrogance, mismanagement, dinosaur, head-in-the sand parochialism from a shite bunch of stupid, ignorant, corrupt stuffed blazers. 

Think I’ve covered it there ?

2 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Chronic arrogance, mismanagement, dinosaur, head-in-the sand parochialism from a shite bunch of stupid, ignorant, corrupt stuffed blazers. 

You have, except...

you didn't mention Glasgow.

By the light
4 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

??????

Whilst Ronaldo is clearly the star of the Portugal team, it's harsh to say he carries them.

The Portugal team may not have as many top class players as Argentina but they are so much more together.

They are well organised, strong and committed - they won the Euros final without Ronaldo!

Argentina on the other hand are a shambles.

Pish organisation, little commitment, barely any leaders.

A lot of their star players (Messi excluded) rely on others at club level to do the hard work (Di Maria is a classic example of this)

For Argentina they rely on Messi way too much and he's not superman.

Big Slim Stylee
19 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You have, except...

you didn't mention Glasgow.

Being serious for a moment mate,  if the absolute catastrophic management of resources and pathetic lack of leadership at a national level over fecking decades in Scotland had been replicated over here, they’d be buried in lawsuits. 

There’s green shoots talent-wise but I’m convinced they’ll find a way to feck them up as well. 

I had a glimmer of hope that Budge might try and take them on a bit more, but I think even she’s realised that the best way to do that is just foucus on building s strong HMFC.

The Only Way Is Glasgow. as far as the governing ****s are concerned.

AuldReekie444
8 minutes ago, graygo said:

Iceland draw tomorrow and there may be a huge portion of humble pie getting passed around in a few days time.

nah, Argentina are wrecked. 

1 minute ago, AuldReekie444 said:

nah, Argentina are wrecked. 

I think so too but it wouldn't be the most outrageous thing to have ever happened.

portobellojambo1
13 minutes ago, Glottis said:

Whilst Ronaldo is clearly the star of the Portugal team, it's harsh to say he carries them.

The Portugal team may not have as many top class players as Argentina but they are so much more together.

They are well organised, strong and committed - they won the Euros final without Ronaldo!

Argentina on the other hand are a shambles.

Pish organisation, little commitment, barely any leaders.

A lot of their star players (Messi excluded) rely on others at club level to do the hard work (Di Maria is a classic example of this)

For Argentina they rely on Messi way too much and he's not superman.

Think it was me that said "carries them", and it probably wasn't the best word to use, but I was struggling to think of another word/phrase to use instead.