Peter Haring - Centre Half : signs for Hearts ( updated )

Section Q

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff Turn

• rudi must stay

• JamboAl

• Beast Boy

6 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

I get your point though first 11 probably played one game last season. Our squads lack of depth was a huge issue last season 

Absolutely. Lack of depth was a huge problem. Iirc we were only side not to come from behind to win last season. Much of that could potentially attributed to lack of options off the bench to change games.  We certainly appear to have much more depth 

Whether we have improved starting 11 is another matter though. Lee might well be an upgrade as Clerry stated earlier. Even he has just emerged from 4th tier in England 

Interesting season ahead 

4 hours ago, Section Q said:

To be fair, I think Levein is putting a squad together rather as opposed to going for a marquis type of player.

Looks like it. Peter Haring's disciplinary record suggests he's a dirty"count". 

Edited by JohnB

Of course we know all about Rudi Skacel and Takis Fyssas.

I like the sound of a guy with that many bookings playing in Lochend and Glasgow.

Selkirkhmfc1874
5 hours ago, vlad on the tyne said:

15 bookings in one season at that level does send alarm bells ringing. 

Not really ! Continental refs don't allow any contact whatsoever 

In all seriousness, it's prudent to have more experienced back up in that position. His current team accepted the insertion of a release clause suggesting they regard him as one of their better players. It's also a position that CL should know what qualities to look for. 

I'd rather look at the fact the boy was signed by Rapid Vienna and had the balls to go to SV Reid to get game time to develop and play football. Reid are desperate to keep him, he was a mainstay, also valued at 300k and the reason we are getting him for diddly squat is because he invoked a clause in his contract. I'll reserve judgment until I've seen him play 4/5 games like the rest of the squad. If by December we are languishing in the bottom 6 and playing the same sort of boring football as last year then i'll moan and whinge how Levein and his new squad are a bunch of huddies. Until then wait and till you see them play with your own eyes to reserve judgment. There's a good chance some will be rubbish, then again we have got recruitment so bad in recent seasons we shall surely get it right one window....maybe this one's it ?

johnking123

Levein signings are normally pretty good. He did have a few dodgy ones. But confident for next season. Guy sound a tough no nonsense CB. We only have Berra in that mold.

12 hours ago, jambo_No5 said:

Is anyone able to find the thread for when Milinkovic first signed? Bet he was wrote off before he'd kicked a ball 

The same people write off almost every signing.  It's more about them than  the players, team etc.    

13 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Sorry, Colin.

Don't get the connection unless we use him as a foreign scout.

He does freelance scouting work for us if needed .... he still loves us

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

This seems like a pretty good signing, considering Levein likes to play three at the back. I'm happy with it.

2 hours ago, kimosavi said:

I'd rather look at the fact the boy was signed by Rapid Vienna and had the balls to go to SV Reid to get game time to develop and play football. Reid are desperate to keep him, he was a mainstay, also valued at 300k and the reason we are getting him for diddly squat is because he invoked a clause in his contract. I'll reserve judgment until I've seen him play 4/5 games like the rest of the squad. If by December we are languishing in the bottom 6 and playing the same sort of boring football as last year then i'll moan and whinge how Levein and his new squad are a bunch of huddies. Until then wait and till you see them play with your own eyes to reserve judgment. There's a good chance some will be rubbish, then again we have got recruitment so bad in recent seasons we shall surely get it right one window....maybe this one's it ?

Very good post.

The Old Tolbooth
2 hours ago, kimosavi said:

Nail on the head for me, was about to post something similar. 

Have to remember that we aren’t necessarily looking for someone to be better then Berra or Souttar. The question is really, is he better then playing teenagers at centre half, with very little or no first team experience? You’d certainly hope so & I’d back Levein to judge a CB.

hmfc_liam06

It's a sensible signing for me.

As it stands, no one is ousting Berra and Souttar. If we signed someone with a higher pedigree, they aren't going to be happy sat on the bench. He's young(ish), making a step up and likely won't break the bank. The type of signing who'll be happy to bide his time, improve and provide some competition/backup without causing much of a fuss.

1 hour ago, Colin Sked said:

He does freelance scouting work for us if needed .... he still loves us

Ah, didn't know that.

Maybe had something to do with the goalie too if Skacel wasn't involved.

Edited by JamboAl

rudi must stay
17 minutes ago, Gulf Jambo said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/aaron-hughes-to-sign-hearts-deal-as-peter-haring-arrives-in-capital-1-4756496

Deal look done for him.

Plus Hughes staying means thats CB sorted for next season.

All in a days work :cool4:

Have a good feeling about Haring. Could have pulled one out the bag here

2 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Have a good feeling about Haring. Could have pulled one out the bag here

It will allow us to play 3 at the back more regularly.

Too often last season when Hughes had to sit out we needed to revert to a flat back 4 due to a lack of options.

Seymour M Hersh
11 hours ago, vlad on the tyne said:

15 bookings in one season at that level does send alarm bells ringing. 

That was the season Collum and Beaton were on loan to that league!!

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, El Diez said:

It will allow us to play 3 at the back more regularly.

Too often last season when Hughes had to sit out we needed to revert to a flat back 4 due to a lack of options.

I can see 3 working quite well at Tynecastle. Hopefully this chap is a strong passer on the ball, that's needed 100% in the defence 

Seymour M Hersh
27 minutes ago, Gulf Jambo said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/aaron-hughes-to-sign-hearts-deal-as-peter-haring-arrives-in-capital-1-4756496

Deal look done for him.

Plus Hughes staying means thats CB sorted for next season.

All in a days work :cool4:

Is that a hair band of some kind I see in that picture of Haring? Must be good!

13 hours ago, Section Q said:

To be fair, I think Levein is putting a squad together rather as opposed to going for a marquis type of player.

Image result for mary marquis

Fxxx the SPFL
3 hours ago, johnmitchell said:

Nail on the head for me, was about to post something similar. 

that's called plagiarism John feck knows if that's the correct spelling lol.

vlad on the tyne

Relieved to see we are close to getting this deal over the line as thought it was a red haring :cornette:

I am tentative to say the least about all our signings so far.  However, this one excites me, not that I know of the player (I had never heard of him) but when the most graceful and talented centre halves I have ever witnessed signs you as a centre half then you must be good.  Levein knows a thing or two about that position.

:pleasing:

Edited by i8hibsh

rudi must stay
25 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

How will this be affected by Hughes confirming he is staying for another year?

Hughes is strong back up, this chap will start IMO

The Old Tolbooth
38 minutes ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

that's called plagiarism John feck knows if that's the correct spelling lol.

I'll let you off seeing as you're posting from your care home these days mate :lol: 

Fxxx the SPFL
4 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

I'll let you off seeing as you're posting from your care home these days mate :lol: 

Aye and stinking of pish, can't remember what day of the week it is and who are you again. :P

3 minutes ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Aye and stinking of pish, can't remember what day of the week it is and who are you again. :P

Just like the cup final party in 1998 then Ray ! :lol:

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Least yer honest auld yin :lol: 

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, vlad on the tyne said:

Relieved to see we are close to getting this deal over the line as thought it was a red haring :cornette:

Hopefully bring back the Gorgie fireworks, like we had v Sparta. Would be a useful player to have

Edited by rudi must stay

Clerry Jambo

Peter Haring will take Hearts chance, says Thomas Flogel

Barry Anderson
5-7 minutes

When Hearts first contacted Peter Haring about moving to Scotland, he didn’t hesitate to activate the release clause in his SV Ried contract.

The defender sensed a priceless chance to establish himself at the top level and, at the age of 25, was determined to force his way out of Austria’s second division.

Thomas Flogel spent five seasons at Hearts

Haring informed Ried of his intention to leave for Edinburgh, quickly agreed terms with Hearts and passed his medical. Confirmation of his signing is expected this week. The move from the Austrian 2. Liga to the Ladbrokes Premiership is a considerable jump into the proverbial last chance saloon.

Sporting a stylish hairband, Haring built a reputation as one of Austria’s most uncompromising defenders. His aggressive and robust style will stand him in good stead in Scotland, although his penchant for yellow cards must be addressed. He collected 15 of them last season alone.

info-ayl.png

Perhaps he was merely frustrated. Haring has been eager to leave second-tier football behind for some time but opportunities have been limited. Before Ried he played for Austria Lustenau, also in the second division, and prior to that was in the regional leagues with Rapid Vienna’s youth team.

What Hearts are getting is a player transfixed on seizing a long-awaited opportunity to play top-flight football.

“I think this is his last chance to step up to the next level. It’s a big chance for him and we can only hope for him and for Hearts that everything goes well,” says the former Tynecastle midfielder Thomas Flogel, now a youth coach at St Polten.

“The second division in Austria is hard because there is absolutely no money there. If a player gets an offer from a foreign club, I think every player here in Austria would go. They want to move up and play in a top league.

“I think it’s the same in Scotland. If players get an offer from England or France or somewhere else, they would leave. We know that is the case here. If you don’t play in the Bundesliga, if you are in the second division like Haring, you have to take what offer you get.

“For him, as a 25-year-old player, I think it’s the last chance. All the clubs are searching for young talents, players they can improve, so at 25 it’s a big chance. I moved to Hearts when I was 26 and I know how hard it is at that age to improve yourself. That’s why I’m hoping he can adapt to the Scottish game.”

Ried won’t simply stroll into the Hearts team, of course. He will compete with club captain Christophe Berra, the re-signed veteran Aaron Hughes and the promising John Souttar for places in central defence. It is fair to assume he was targeted by manager Craig Levein because his attributes fit well with Scottish football’s stereotype.

“He plays aggressively,” explains Flogel. “He moves forward from centre-back very early and he pushes forward. He does all of those things very well, although he was playing in the second division. He is not the typical second division player. He wants to go further in his career. I think Hearts is a good option for him. He is physically very strong and his style of play could be right for Hearts.

“He is a brave player. It surprises me a little that an Austrian second division player is signing for Hearts but I hope he is good enough for them. He is suited to Scottish football and I hope he adapts very quickly – more quickly than myself.

“As a centre-back, you have to adapt to the game very quickly. I was a midfield player so it was easier for me. A centre-back needs to work hard and be ready for the games very quickly. Hopefully, Haring is the right man for that.”

Haring joined SV Ried last summer hoping to strengthen their push for promotion to the Austrian Bundesliga. His agreement included a clause allowing him to leave for another club in the event of that aim not being achieved. Hearts are the beneficiaries.

“Ried were always a Bundesliga club and then they went down. They lost some good players to the bigger teams and there were some changes in the structure of the club. That was probably the reason,” says Flogel.

“It was not the case that Haring wasn’t good enough for the top league. Ried wanted to come up again but they did not reach that target and Haring wants to take this option now. I think that’s good for him and I hope he gets success from the move to Edinburgh.

“He did well in the second division but it’s just the second level in Austria. It’s a different game compared to the Premiership in Scotland, which is much the same as the Bundesliga here in Austria. He isn’t old for a footballer so he has time to get used to it.”

The footballing environment in Austria isn’t too dissimilar to that in Scotland, so Haring is expected to settle fairly quickly at Tynecastle.

“I would compare the Austrian league with the Scottish league,” agrees Flogel. “The Scottish league is a little bit faster but not too much more. In the last few games I saw from the Scottish league, most of the teams are passing the ball and playing the possession game. They don’t push the ball forward all the time, so they are playing some good football.

“You see more tactics being used, and that is comparable with Austrian football. Haring will enjoy that and he will learn from playing at a higher level.”

9 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Peter Haring will take Hearts chance, says Thomas Flogel

Barry Anderson
5-7 minutes

When Hearts first contacted Peter Haring about moving to Scotland, he didn’t hesitate to activate the release clause in his SV Ried contract.

The defender sensed a priceless chance to establish himself at the top level and, at the age of 25, was determined to force his way out of Austria’s second division.

Haring informed Ried of his intention to leave for Edinburgh, quickly agreed terms with Hearts and passed his medical. Confirmation of his signing is expected this week. The move from the Austrian 2. Liga to the Ladbrokes Premiership is a considerable jump into the proverbial last chance saloon.

Sporting a stylish hairband, Haring built a reputation as one of Austria’s most uncompromising defenders. His aggressive and robust style will stand him in good stead in Scotland, although his penchant for yellow cards must be addressed. He collected 15 of them last season alone.

info-ayl.png

Perhaps he was merely frustrated. Haring has been eager to leave second-tier football behind for some time but opportunities have been limited. Before Ried he played for Austria Lustenau, also in the second division, and prior to that was in the regional leagues with Rapid Vienna’s youth team.

What Hearts are getting is a player transfixed on seizing a long-awaited opportunity to play top-flight football.

“I think this is his last chance to step up to the next level. It’s a big chance for him and we can only hope for him and for Hearts that everything goes well,” says the former Tynecastle midfielder Thomas Flogel, now a youth coach at St Polten.

“The second division in Austria is hard because there is absolutely no money there. If a player gets an offer from a foreign club, I think every player here in Austria would go. They want to move up and play in a top league.

“I think it’s the same in Scotland. If players get an offer from England or France or somewhere else, they would leave. We know that is the case here. If you don’t play in the Bundesliga, if you are in the second division like Haring, you have to take what offer you get.

“For him, as a 25-year-old player, I think it’s the last chance. All the clubs are searching for young talents, players they can improve, so at 25 it’s a big chance. I moved to Hearts when I was 26 and I know how hard it is at that age to improve yourself. That’s why I’m hoping he can adapt to the Scottish game.”

Ried won’t simply stroll into the Hearts team, of course. He will compete with club captain Christophe Berra, the re-signed veteran Aaron Hughes and the promising John Souttar for places in central defence. It is fair to assume he was targeted by manager Craig Levein because his attributes fit well with Scottish football’s stereotype.

“He plays aggressively,” explains Flogel. “He moves forward from centre-back very early and he pushes forward. He does all of those things very well, although he was playing in the second division. He is not the typical second division player. He wants to go further in his career. I think Hearts is a good option for him. He is physically very strong and his style of play could be right for Hearts.

“He is a brave player. It surprises me a little that an Austrian second division player is signing for Hearts but I hope he is good enough for them. He is suited to Scottish football and I hope he adapts very quickly – more quickly than myself.

“As a centre-back, you have to adapt to the game very quickly. I was a midfield player so it was easier for me. A centre-back needs to work hard and be ready for the games very quickly. Hopefully, Haring is the right man for that.”

Haring joined SV Ried last summer hoping to strengthen their push for promotion to the Austrian Bundesliga. His agreement included a clause allowing him to leave for another club in the event of that aim not being achieved. Hearts are the beneficiaries.

“Ried were always a Bundesliga club and then they went down. They lost some good players to the bigger teams and there were some changes in the structure of the club. That was probably the reason,” says Flogel.

“It was not the case that Haring wasn’t good enough for the top league. Ried wanted to come up again but they did not reach that target and Haring wants to take this option now. I think that’s good for him and I hope he gets success from the move to Edinburgh.

“He did well in the second division but it’s just the second level in Austria. It’s a different game compared to the Premiership in Scotland, which is much the same as the Bundesliga here in Austria. He isn’t old for a footballer so he has time to get used to it.”

The footballing environment in Austria isn’t too dissimilar to that in Scotland, so Haring is expected to settle fairly quickly at Tynecastle.

“I would compare the Austrian league with the Scottish league,” agrees Flogel. “The Scottish league is a little bit faster but not too much more. In the last few games I saw from the Scottish league, most of the teams are passing the ball and playing the possession game. They don’t push the ball forward all the time, so they are playing some good football.

“You see more tactics being used, and that is comparable with Austrian football. Haring will enjoy that and he will learn from playing at a higher level.”

I thought TF might have had some influence in Haring coming here but I have to say that his quotes in the EEN were a bit of a guarded recommendation.

Ryan Jarman

'Sporting a stylish hairband'

:greggy:

Edited by Ryan Jarman

22 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I thought TF might have had some influence in Haring coming here but I have to say that his quotes in the EEN were a bit of a guarded recommendation.

I don't mind that.  Better than giving a unequivocal recommendation. The player sounds like a reasonable prospect and can obviously play. As with all signings I'll wait to pass judgement on his capabilities after I've seen him in a competitive match. 

looks like a decent addition, looks different to what we already have which is good, gives us options to mix things up when needed.

1 hour ago, Deevers said:

I don't mind that.  Better than giving a unequivocal recommendation. The player sounds like a reasonable prospect and can obviously play. As with all signings I'll wait to pass judgement on his capabilities after I've seen him in a competitive match. 

And me!

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, Deevers said:

Oh come on!  You're not doing this right at all!  Let's just decide now he's shite.