U.S. Open Golf 2018 (Shinnecock Hills)

Midloth_Iain

Suddenly and due to the brutal T50 halfway cut in this,   the field (bar the leader) is covered by 8 shots.    Any one player can have a disaster so it's become very open indeed.

Russell Knox and the brilliant Calum Hill are both T14 on +4 and only 4 shots back of 2nd place.      Exciting times for them.    Come on lads.

Edited by Victorian

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Irufushi

• OBE

• Victorian

• Maroon Sailor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Strip everything back on this golf course. Remove DJ's caddy, remove the ball spotting marshalls/spectators, let the rough recover from being trampled flat and stick DJ in a buggy with a yardage gadget only, he'd need a 20 handicap to break par.

The Mighty Thor
7 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Strip everything back on this golf course. Remove DJ's caddy, remove the ball spotting marshalls/spectators, let the rough recover from being trampled flat and stick DJ in a buggy with a yardage gadget only, he'd need a 20 handicap to break par.

I'd ban greens books. What a fecking nonsense.

It's all that pish that makes it 5 hour rounds and all the weekend hackers follow suit. 

36 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'd ban greens books. What a fecking nonsense.

It's all that pish that makes it 5 hour rounds and all the weekend hackers follow suit. 

By the looks of things, DJ's the only pro privy to the 2018 edition Shinnecock's greens. Aphibarnrat & Bergers had a deek anaw.

2 minutes ago, gorgiegus said:

Hits his ball while moving. Signed for a 9 I see. Very unprofessional for golf.

He’d be as well walking off . No idea what he’s trying to achieve.

8 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

What's happened lads? Has Phil done an NR and then decided against it?

Hit a putt that was going off the green, ran after it and hit it back whilst it was moving. Very strange.

43 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Hit a putt that was going off the green, ran after it and hit it back whilst it was moving. Very strange.

Just seen it. The officials have bottled it. He should be gone.

1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Phil’s lost the plot here .

The USGA has lost the plot with regard to their national championship for a number of years now. I hope Phil and his co pro's have a word with this golf governing body. I genuinely hope a pro breaks the course record today and maybe tomorrow we'll see the windmill's, clowns mouths, draw bridges, seesaws, bells and whistles that's associated with fair ground crazy golf.

The other three majors & the Players know how to make the golf courses tough, but they're also playable & entertaining.

Just watch DJ disintegrate after that start, double boggie at a nowt hole...allegedly.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

28 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

The USGA has lost the plot with regard to their national championship for a number of years now. I hope Phil and his co pro's have a word with this golf governing body. I genuinely hope a pro breaks the course record today and maybe tomorrow we'll see the windmill's, clowns mouths, draw bridges, seesaws, bells and whistles that's associated with fair ground crazy golf.

The other three majors & the Players know how to make the golf courses tough, but they're also playable & entertaining.

Just watch DJ disintegrate after that start, double boggie at a nowt hole...allegedly.

I’d rather watch this than the -20 total winning score most weeks on the pga tour. Nothing wrong with level par winning a tournament, add in they get 2 odd million for winning they can stfu. 

Hats of to Zac Johnson, terrified not to three putt from 15 feet. Phil shit it, should've said what he experienced and felt, same as his fellow pro Zac.

Curtis Strange comment on the greens, the greens have went from brown to blue. The momentum is growing against this farce called the USGA.

Could we see the greens syringed again mid round in 2018? Ooooooh, that would controversial for the second time at ShinneCock.

2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

I’d rather watch this than the -20 total winning score most weeks on the pga tour. Nothing wrong with level par winning a tournament, add in they get 2 odd million for winning they can stfu. 

Obviously not a purest!

1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

He will have lost a lot of respect from his fans, especially over here. Not so much in the US where they don't have a clue and are probably guzzling hamburgers and shite.

He should have been kicked out. No question. 

Played within the rules, no need for him to walk. Should've spoke his genuine mind given the chance at his post round interview though...completely shit it!

3 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Obviously not a purest!

You stick to watching the standard events, seem awful upset about all this. 

3 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

You stick to watching the standard events, seem awful upset about all this. 

I don't watch ya dafty...I play.

Maroon Sailor

Not even in with a slight hope of a place with my bets this week. 4 missed the cut and the 3 who made it have been blown away today.

Hellish conditions but these are the best players in the world so no problem having a tough test.

DJ melt down 

18 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Minus 20 on a golf course measuring  7.5k plus yards is mesmerizing in my book. Something you & I can only cream about achieving.

The Mighty Thor

Moving day.

Down the leaderboard for most of them. 

It's going to be an interesting evening and sets up tomorrow :thumb:

1 minute ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

DJ melt down 

Minus 20 on a golf course measuring  7.5k plus yards is mesmerizing in my book. Something you & I can only cream about achieving.

No doubt it’s impressive, but when you factor in the soft greens they play on, the huge fairways and the timid rough they play out of , it’s not really that difficult for these guys. 

This is proper golf , imo.

43 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not even in with a slight hope of a place with my bets this week. 4 missed the cut and the 3 who made it have been blown away today.

Hellish conditions but these are the best players in the world so no problem having a tough test.

Hellish Conditions?  As I type, 10mph wind, 75 degrees, come on? This course is twisted beyond recognition, say the members.

Tough test?  I agree, but must be fair also, this is a hit and hope for the worlds best. Shocking set up for any competition, far less a major. The players will revolt after this mess. DJ just commented on his last putt, " if I hit it any harder, it's down the ******* hill ", class comments from the worlds golfing elite

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

34 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Rose drives and some prick shouts 'diddly diddly'. 

Castration would be a suitable punishment.

Dilly Dilly, beer advert.

Geoff the Mince

Have  to say I'm loving this had Koepka last year and have him at 60/1 this year .

18 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Hellish Conditions?  As I type, 10mph wind, 75 degrees, come on? This course is twisted beyond recognition, say the members.

Tough test?  I agree, but must be fair also, this is a hit and hope for the worlds best. Shocking set up for any competition, far less a major. The players will revolt after this mess. DJ just commented on his last putt, " if I hit it any harder, it's down the ******* hill ", class comments from the worlds golfing elite

I actually burst out laughing when I heard this. 

Maroon Sailor
50 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Wait until they encounter Carnoustie next month if the wind blows. 

This will be a picnic compared to The Open if the wind blows.

I was at the first day's play at Carnoustie in 99 and it was brutal

52 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Wait until they encounter Carnoustie next month if the wind blows. 

This will be a picnic compared to The Open if the wind blows.

Aye, you've mentioned this before, care to elaborate why in your eyes this is a picnic?

The R&A are confident Carnoustie will hold it's own fairly, as The Open venue. 

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

4 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I actually burst out laughing when I heard this. 

DJ is thick as shit, he's been told upteen times the USGA have placed microphones in the holes.

Maroon Sailor
Just now, jonnothejambo said:

I remember it. They let the rough grow as well. It's a brute of a course.

I stayed at the 5th tee and watched a few groups coming through and I said to myself when Paul Lawrie was on the tee that players like him just make up the numbers !

Mind you he did pick the Claret Jug up from the Barry Burn when the Frenchman tossed it in there.

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Carnoustie is the toughest test in golf.

I guarantee this will be stated at The Open. 

This Shinnecock course is difficult in this afternoon's conditions, but it was relatively benign this morning.

Carnoustie will be fair. And tough.

Difficult afternoon conditions...na! The flags are flicking, not whipping, no collars being blown of shirts. Butch Harmon, who likes all the lovely young men is listing towards criticising his national golf tournament. Luck is prevailing over talent. 

I'm switching of, even although I've bet £2.50 each way on Stenson, Grace, Noren & Bello.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The 15th green is bordering on farcical.

Then again Rose has just stiffed it there

Maroon Sailor

Incredible birdie at 15 for Rose.

That hole has taken it's fair share of prisoners today

Butch again apologising to sane golf viewers "This ain't golf folks" and criticising the NY reprobates for jeering Poults middle of the green approach that run off front right. The New York golf fans I'm listening to right now are mongrels. 

Maroon Sailor

It's more the pin placement on 15. Players putting it off the green due to the slope just behind the hole.

Just stupid

Maroon Sailor

Berger and Finau could both be in the last group for the final round.

Both 11 shots off the lead after the 2nd round.

Batshit crazy

Adam_the_legend
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Stenson's F-bomb :rofl:

That was brilliant but why such a big deal? It’s after midnight, plenty movies on tv with worse language.