U.S. Open Golf 2018 (Shinnecock Hills)

Midloth_Iain

Midloth_Iain

couldnt see another thread, apart from the Geeks sticky .......

gotta fancy another US Winner, think all 4 majors currently held by yanks.

Justin Thomas for me, although got an e/w on Jon Rahm  :ninja:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Irufushi

• OBE

• Victorian

• Maroon Sailor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m on Rose, Fowler and Day to win, Noren and Cabrera-Bello each way. Doesn’t look like it’s going to be easy, which is good. 

11 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Good choice :D

You could have just highlighted them all, they’re all shite ?

5 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

You could have just highlighted them all, they’re all shite ?

Haha tbh I just saw the headline on the BBC saying he was +10. A shocker. :D

Lol.   Gregory 92 (+22).

Lots of big names going on safari.     Great stuff from Calum Hill and Russell Knox so far.

Just saw the end of Rory's group :laugh:  Scores that make me feel more at ease.

Amazing how pish some of the pros are when the wind starts to blow.

Woods to be over or under +10?

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

What's bringing up all these scores? Jungle, or have the USPGA got their greens wrong? Again.

Sounds like the greens are a circus,  not helped by the wind.

Midloth_Iain
30 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Lol.   Gregory 92 (+22).

Lots of big names going on safari.     Great stuff from Calum Hill and Russell Knox so far.

to be fair to Gregory, he still did a very calm interview afterwards - probably hasnt sunk in yet , lol :laugh:

Midloth_Iain
8 minutes ago, Barack said:

What's bringing up all these scores? Jungle, or have the USPGA got their greens wrong? Again.

Mickelson on the length of the rough - " Is there a rule where I have to be able to see my ball , before I can hit it  ? "  :laugh:

The justification is the players who have managed to score on vicious greens,  as a couple have.     But the wind can make extremely difficult greens simply daft.     They should always take that into account.

3 minutes ago, Kid Creole said:

Mickelson on the length of the rough - " Is there a rule where I have to be able to see my ball , before I can hit it  ? "  :laugh:

As if Mickelson needs any help finding a rule.  :D      

Just now, Barack said:

Is it to blow a gale all week?

No idea.     Placements are the thing too.    Surely you simply monitor the weather forecasting and put the pins in the better areas if the wind is threatening.

21 minutes ago, kila said:

Just saw the end of Rory's group :laugh:  Scores that make me feel more at ease.

Amazing how pish some of the pros are when the wind starts to blow.

Woods to be over or under +10?

+10 after the first hole at this rate ?

Just now, Barack said:

Common sense. USPGA.

The Ancient Greeks invented the word oxymoron for such things.

They're obsessively protective of their winning 72 hole total.     They seem to crave a total of around 280-284.    They couldn't stomach 260.

The USGA do realise that people want to see players making birdies don't they?

Obviously not. Par isn't god ffs.

6 minutes ago, Barack said:

"Silence is golden

We were hoping to hear from Rory McIlroy after his 10-over-par 80, but we are hearing reports the world number six, Jordan Spieth (78) and Phil Mickelson (77) have all refused to speak to the media.

Poor showing chaps."

:raging:

:clyay:

I always refuse to speak to the media after I NR on the sixth in the monthly medal?

20 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

It’s a US Open, I want to see them struggle. The way it should be, they have a birdie fest every week on tour. 

23 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

The US Open is meant to be The hardest event on the tour. The greens are meant to be lightning fast. Par is meant to be a good score.

2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

It’s a US Open, I want to see them struggle. The way it should be, they have a birdie fest every week on tour. 

They always overstep the mark though.

This course is only going to get tougher.

1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

The US Open is meant to be The hardest event on the tour. The greens are meant to be lightning fast. Par is meant to be a good score.

Doesnt make it entertaining though.

The Open has the correct balance IMO.

Edited by Notts1874

Very predictable.     The big names would be happy to go out,  card a 71 or 72 in tough conditions and go home for tea and medals.    Go out and card a 77 or so and they're going to be 8 or 9 behind.    Not so full of the joys of spring now.    Silence and petted lips all round.

48 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Exactly. Give me this ahead of -16 winning the USPGA every day of the week. They weren’t expecting the wind but the greens should be quick. 

skinnybob72

If I want to watch guys hacking it round in big numbers I can go and watch my Dad and his cronies. 

I know it's one of the majors and it should be hard but I want to watch the top players playing on a course where they can really go for it.

I know that the wind is having a major effect today but the greens and rough will keep the scores high anyway. 

Compare this to the Masters.

Midloth_Iain
20 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Compare this to the Masters.

Thats just it, the majors should all be different challenges.

They have to adapt to the conditions and the course. Whoever best adapts deserves to win.

11 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Doesnt make it entertaining though.

The Open has the correct balance IMO.

I think it's quite entertaining watching guys who make a fortune and usually make things look easy being humbled.

It's a very fine balancing act that they used to get right most of the time with very long courses with narrow fairways and punishing but playable rough.    Go in the rough and the approach to the green is off the cards.    It's a short iron back into play.     I don't think over-tricking the greens is very sensible and neither is having the rough too severe.

But a good few players did manage it so they'll feel justified.     The field is very stretched out though but that can change if the leading 10 or so have the tougher time of it today.

Edited by Victorian

I P Knightley
17 hours ago, Victorian said:

They're obsessively protective of their winning 72 hole total.     They seem to crave a total of around 280-284.    They couldn't stomach 260.

I've grown up believing that par is a target to be made, not necessarily beaten. Ultimately, though, whether it's 'missing a birdie putt' or 'missing a par putt' is just a case of moving the goal posts - the players all face the same challenge. It's not like, for instance, switching from hard courts to clay courts in the tennis where the surface favours some players over others. 

Spieth and Mickelson etc. can tuck away their pet lips and get back to the target range courses next week and pick up another few hunner thou when they do so. 

5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I've grown up believing that par is a target to be made, not necessarily beaten. Ultimately, though, whether it's 'missing a birdie putt' or 'missing a par putt' is just a case of moving the goal posts - the players all face the same challenge. It's not like, for instance, switching from hard courts to clay courts in the tennis where the surface favours some players over others. 

Spieth and Mickelson etc. can tuck away their pet lips and get back to the target range courses next week and pick up another few hunner thou when they do so. 

It is when the conditions change from soft greens and fairways to firm greens and fairways. Some players lack distance so soft fairways will hinder them but the long/high hitters will carry the 300 yards.

For me, par should be well beaten by the absolute best. If the difficulty is such that the elite golfers are continuing to struggle then it doesn't make great watching (well I did enjoy watching Rory and co suffer like amateurs at times but I wouldn't want to be entertained by that quality often). What Rory did to win the US Open in 2011 was incredible to watch - much more inspiring for youngsters that than seeing pros struggling to even make pars.

You wont get great odds on DJ now.   Evens in fact.     But major winners Stenson and Rose are right there too.    That would be quite a three way battle.

Russell Knox is T14 before going out.    It's right there for him to make an impact.     

Sky's coverage compliments this abortion of a major golf tournament called the US Open, it's well named. The USPGA Players Championship @ Sawgrass is a far superior watch than this howk, hack & holler fest. One professional golfer under par as I type, this is not entertainment.

21 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Sky's coverage compliments this abortion of a major golf tournament called the US Open, it's well named. The USPGA Players Championship @ Sawgrass is a far superior watch than this howk, hack & holler fest. One professional golfer under par as I type, this is not entertainment.

Its a US Open ya dafty, it’s meant to be tough. 

8 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

It's not like, for instance, switching from hard courts to clay courts in the tennis where the surface favours some players over others. 

I would argue that it is almost exactly like that.

1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

I predict that McIlroy will empty his caddie and get back with JP ??

His body language and general demeanour is not great. 

We need him firing again for The Open and the Ryder Cup.

Rose, Poulter and Fleetwood flying the flag but Johnson will be hard to beat, even this early.

He’s lost his spark , signed too many mega money deals to care I think, a real shame. Although I’m sure it’s fantastic to look at his bank balance ?

Don't know if it's simply money but it's been obvious for years that McIlroy is not fully dialled in to self improvement.    He doesn't live and breathe golf.    Too tolerant of mediocrity.     Waiting for the great times to return.      One day he'll realise they might never come.