19 Points behind

rick witter

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

No, he was a disaster I completely agree and this time last year it was evident yet some others called it bed wetting and waiting to see what the summer brought.

Fact is, disaster or not, the squad left was more than enough for Levein to work with though before getting through to January and addressing what was needed.   It wasn't a complete shambles of a squad and Cathro was punted with 30 days left of the summer window.  

And as I say, there was a LOT more to sort out than personnel.

But even the personnel needed fixed, he left us with basically no midfield for starters

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

So CL or any other manager gets your backing of a whole summer window unless they lose in the LC as such your comments on Cathro last season? 

Aye if we get knocked out the lc by two lower division teams after a poor season in a league set up CL should get sacked.

Never thought I'd need to explain that. 

2 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

ehh, you didn't see the sarcasm in that.... read that paragraph back, then think about what I pulled you up for.....

Anyway, off on a tangent .I will give as good as I get, but very rarely, if ever start the persnal jibes.

You came crashing in with 2/ 3 digs , I played. Another poster gives me more abuse than most so I give it back.

You now have a bee in your bonnet. Crack on.

I thought you said you were "done"......best if you were....everybody can see you are just rambling now.

Just now, Smithee said:

And as I say, there was a LOT more to sort out than personnel.

But even the personnel needed fixed, he left us with basically no midfield for starters

What more was there to sort out that the DOF wouldn't have knowledge about whilst working with Cathro?

That midfield that our current manager still didn't address much over the winter window and brought in Milinkovic who he hardly plays and Callachan from Raith who is not good enough after Cathro left?

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Cathro was a total disaster and a huge black mark on Levein's report card.....a black mark that is not being erased due to the on-going disappointing performances of our team under his control.

Cathro was a gamble that didn't pay off, even people like Benitez thought he'd do a good job.

Neilson was equally unproven but he did pay off - you never know in advance

3 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Aye if we get knocked out the lc by two lower division teams after a poor season in a league set up CL should get sacked.

Never thought I'd need to explain that. 

So no manager needs and deserves the whole Summer transfer window regardless then. 

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Cathro was a gamble that didn't pay off, even people like Benitez thought he'd do a good job.

Neilson was equally unproven but he did pay off - you never know in advance

My point stands Smithee

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

What, do you mean-get a safe pear of gloves inbetween the sticks.....

Good idea and, if we apple-I more effort, things will get better

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

My point stands Smithee

If you allow a giant gold star for the appointment of Neilson I'd maybe be persuaded to accept that Cathro's appointment warranted an equally large black mark. But for me the real truth is that both were equally large gambles that worked out differently, neither were obviously going to be good/bad before a ball was kicked

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

If you allow a giant gold star for the appointment of Neilson I'd maybe be persuaded to accept that Cathro's appointment warranted an equally large black mark. But for me the real truth is that both were equally large gambles that worked out differently, neither were obviously going to be good/bad before a ball was kicked

Neilson had played football at a high level, he knew the Club inside out, he had a strong personality, and was a pretty good communicator with the players and media.  AS such I would put him in the calculated gamble category.

Cathro on the other hand had never played football to a high level, we knew very little about him, and frankly we were shocked when we saw first hand how poor his communication skills were. He had the personality of a goldfish and it was pretty obvious he was never going to cut it as Head Coach - Cathro was a massive gamble! The only man who really knew him was Levein, and it was a huge error of judgement on his part to ever think Cathro was the right man for the job.

Nookie Bear
46 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

if being better than hibs is what you want/ demand, them being better will in turn mean we have to br better in order to better them.  

or summin.

If that's your thing/ goal/ target then Hearts being better than a decent hibs side is better than being better than a shite hibs side.

Ah right.

Like a badly translated version of Paulo's famous quote, then!

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Neilson had played football at a high level, he knew the Club inside out, he had a strong personality, and was a pretty good communicator with the players and media.  AS such I would put him in the calculated gamble category.

Cathro on the other hand had never played football to a high level, we knew very little about him, and frankly we were shocked when we saw first hand how poor his communication skills were. He had the personality of a goldfish and it was pretty obvious he was never going to cut it as Head Coach - Cathro was a massive gamble! The only man who really knew him was Levein, and it was a huge error of judgement on his part to ever think Cathro was the right man for the job.

They were different kettles of fish, we've never had a guy with the high placed endorsements Cathro had.

Both were massive gambles, both out of leftfield.

But hey, we're not likely to agree on this, I'm sure we can both live with that.

(I doubt many would agree that Robbie was a good communicator with the media by the way, we seemed to complain about that all the time when he was in charge.)

Bull's-eye
1 hour ago, Bez said:

Good to see you back m8. How’s the family?

Great m8, we must catch up soon over a bellybuster breakfast or something. 

Everything ok with you?

Beast Boy
2 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Everything ok with you?

Yeah things are all good now m8 thanks. See you on Sunday. 

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

They were different kettles of fish, we've never had a guy with the high placed endorsements Cathro had.

Both were massive gambles, both out of leftfield.

But hey, we're not likely to agree on this, I'm sure we can both live with that.

(I doubt many would agree that Robbie was a good communicator with the media by the way, we seemed to complain about that all the time when he was in charge.)

I didn't think that Neilson was too "leftfield" - Cathro was certainly way out there IMO.

I always thought Neilson pretty much held his own with the media TBH - the one big issue for us fans was him saying "it would be a good pay day for the Club" after we blew a 2 goal lead against Hibs!

20 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Ah right.

Like a badly translated version of Paulo's famous quote, then!

I thought it was more of a Czaba Laslo ramble TBH.........:lol:

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

36 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Good idea and, if we apple-I more effort, things will get better

:robbo:

4 hours ago, frankblack said:

You are a complete panic merchant.  We were behind them after they got promoted with McLeish too and have been other times.  Were you filling your pants when we couldn't buy a win in a derby in the past?

Fortunately the club has a longer term approach to building a solid future when the infrastructure of the new stand and pitch starts to bear fruit.

This is when Petrie cut back to start to pay off the debts and then building the infrastructure, this included selling off the young players who started to come through.  That has all been done now and all that's left is a 2.5 million loan from Farmer, which is being paid off.

3 hours ago, Juanjo15 said:

No, he was a disaster I completely agree and this time last year it was evident yet some others called it bed wetting and waiting to see what the summer brought.

Fact is, disaster or not, the squad left was more than enough for Levein to work with though before getting through to January and addressing what was needed.   It wasn't a complete shambles of a squad and Cathro was punted with 30 days left of the summer window.  

This is a very valid point. One I have highlighted elsewhere. This just gets swept under the carpet. Nobody will address the shambles that was replacing Cathro and instead we get told he only had a few days in summer to recruit. Absolute nonsense

The club ****ed about for almost the whole month of August. Whether that was to allow Daly sufficient time to hopefully accumulate enough points so that Levein could make a compelling case for him to become HC or whether it was convenient to drift aimlessly because we had no more money available to bring in players (Clearly Berra and Lafferty took up thick end of budget). Whatever the reason it was a shambolic outcome and showed the hierarchy in a poor light - Budge included.  

Levein still looks a reluctant Manager imo. Only twice this season - Celtic and Hibs at home, have I seen him appear to have any edge about him. His last 2 performances are frankly as abject and pitiful as it can get. 

He has a big 8 days ahead. Decent outcomes in both and he buys himself the summer transfer window. The opposite and he is looking a dead man walking 

frankblack
2 minutes ago, Spencer said:

This is a very valid point. One I have highlighted elsewhere. This just gets swept under the carpet. Nobody will address the shambles that was replacing Cathro and instead we get told he only had a few days in summer to recruit. Absolute nonsense

The club ****ed about for almost the whole month of August. Whether that was to allow Daly sufficient time to hopefully accumulate enough points so that Levein could make a compelling case for him to become HC or whether it was convenient to drift aimlessly because we had no more money available to bring in players (Clearly Berra and Lafferty took up thick end of budget). Whatever the reason it was a shambolic outcome and showed the hierarchy in a poor light - Budge included.  

Levein still looks a reluctant Manager imo. Only twice this season - Celtic and Hibs at home, have I seen him appear to have any edge about him. His last 2 performances are frankly as abject and pitiful as it can get. 

He has a big 8 days ahead. Decent outcomes in both and he buys himself the summer transfer window. The opposite and he is looking a dead man walking 

Maybe CL didn't want to bring players in as DOF that didn't fit with the new manager's plans?

Dougie Freedman was very close to being appointed when the Palace job took him away from us.  Had that not happened then Freedman may have had a couple more weeks of the window.

After we lost Freedman we clearly didn't have another candidate of merit which forced CL into the dugout.

If we had signed a whole bunch of players the potential new manager didn't want then they probably would have rejected the job.

Enzo Chiefo
7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Maybe CL didn't want to bring players in as DOF that didn't fit with the new manager's plans?

Dougie Freedman was very close to being appointed when the Palace job took him away from us.  Had that not happened then Freedman may have had a couple more weeks of the window.

After we lost Freedman we clearly didn't have another candidate of merit which forced CL into the dugout.

If we had signed a whole bunch of players the potential new manager didn't want then they probably would have rejected the job.

Another candidate was  , I understand, offered the job and initially accepted it before backtracking after CL placed too many stipulations on the role.

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Another candidate was  , I understand, offered the job and initially accepted it before backtracking after CL placed too many stipulations on the role.

You got a name? 

frankblack
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Elvis I believe

Doubtful.  Even Billy Davies would have been a better option.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Elvis I believe

After all the stipulations.....did he just leave the building?

Bazzas right boot
Just now, frankblack said:

Doubtful.

you sound like you have a suspicious mind?

frankblack
Just now, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

you sound like you have a suspicious mind?

Don't Be Cruel :whistling:

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

Everything ok with you?

3 hours ago, Bez said:

Yeah things are all good now m8 thanks. See you on Sunday. 

:ruiner:

:oohmatron:

Enzo Chiefo
16 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

After all the stipulations.....did he just leave the building?

Uuuhh huuuh

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Don't Be Cruel :whistling:

10 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Uuuhh huuuh

This talk has left me all shook up.

shaun.lawson
10 hours ago, frankblack said:

History tells us that Hibs wil be back down where they belong in the Championship in the near future.

:cornette_dog:

Hibs, like Hearts, belong in the top division - in fact, the top five - of Scottish football. Hibs are Scottish football's fifth biggest club. We're the third biggest. However, their gates are such that Hibs show every sign of passing Aberdeen and becoming fourth biggest - and nothing about the past guarantees the future.

Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs are close enough to each other in size for one to become dominant over the other two over a significant period of time. That should be our expectation and demand. Instead, we target the top 4 and finish 6th; Hibs target the top two and have it in their own hands to finish in the top two. 

But I warn you and anyone who thinks similarly. Comfort blankets about the past are no answer whatsoever. Rangers had a much better record than Celtic for most of the twentieth century. Look at the two clubs now, and for most of the past 20 years. And when the pendulum began to swing, Rangers fans had similar attitudes to you.

9 hours ago, MikeySimpson said:

So maybe, just maybe, it isn't Hearts fans "shiteing it" that's the problem anymore. Maybe it's the arrogance and delusions of people who think everything is fine because somehow, without any change being enacted, things will come good again, simply because "they always do", as we are Hearts

Every post of yours on the last couple of pages has been absolutely spot on. I could've quoted many different sections - but chose this one, because you're right. When Hibs were useless for so long, their delusional fans became a huge part of the problem. I don't want to see the same thing happen to Hearts.

The attitudes of some on here are weak as piss, and so fatalistic, it's unbelievable. We should all be demanding more, much more, than the current shower. 

It has been a disappointing season. Cathro and Levein are to blame for most if not all of that. I was convinced we wouldn't make top six until a few weeks ago ! But I think we will improve next season but I don't think we will improve enough to be in second or third or even above Hibs. I think Aberdeen are heading for a fall and Rangers could struggle even more next season. 

Bazzas right boot

I'm convinced.

we will never catch hibs.

I'm not renewing.

Hearts should just chuck it.

I'm also expecting man utd to give up catching man city, Arsenal will never catch spurs ever again and R Madrid to give up catching Barca.

That's how football works.

I'm also convinced the best way to catch them is hound our manager and not renew, although it's probably hopeless, this is the best way to at least try.

Sacking managers every 8 months will also help. 

frankblack
1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Hibs, like Hearts, belong in the top division - in fact, the top five - of Scottish football. Hibs are Scottish football's fifth biggest club. We're the third biggest. However, their gates are such that Hibs show every sign of passing Aberdeen and becoming fourth biggest - and nothing about the past guarantees the future.

Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs are close enough to each other in size for one to become dominant over the other two over a significant period of time. That should be our expectation and demand. Instead, we target the top 4 and finish 6th; Hibs target the top two and have it in their own hands to finish in the top two. 

But I warn you and anyone who thinks similarly. Comfort blankets about the past are no answer whatsoever. Rangers had a much better record than Celtic for most of the twentieth century. Look at the two clubs now, and for most of the past 20 years. And when the pendulum began to swing, Rangers fans had similar attitudes to you.

Every post of yours on the last couple of pages has been absolutely spot on. I could've quoted many different sections - but chose this one, because you're right. When Hibs were useless for so long, their delusional fans became a huge part of the problem. I don't want to see the same thing happen to Hearts.

The attitudes of some on here are weak as piss, and so fatalistic, it's unbelievable. We should all be demanding more, much more, than the current shower. 

Hibs have been relegated twice in the past 20 years and have spent most of their time around the bottom six in my adult lifetime.  They have only been promoted after spending 3 years in the championship.

Sure they have had some purple patches with a few managers like McLeish and currently Lennon.  Once big clubs poach these managers the decline inevitably begins.

In any case my point is that Hearts have had rocky spells where we had poor derby records.  Jim Jefferies had problems in his first spell as manager for instance, and Craig Levein turned it around.  Reasoned people aren't blind to the severe limitations with this current team but clearing out the coaching setup from top to bottom as some want is high risk and more likely to set us back further than letting the current regime have a summer window to address these gaps.

frankblack
5 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

I'm convinced.

we will never catch hibs.

I'm not renewing.

Hearts should just chuck it.

I'm also expecting man utd to give up catching man city, Arsenal will never catch spurs ever again and R Madrid to give up catching Barca.

That's how football works.

I'm also convinced the best way to catch them is hound our manager and not renew, although it's probably hopeless, this is the best way to at least try.

Sacking managers every 8 months will also help. 

Spot on.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Not sure of your point.

As to your last effort, I'd argue that sticking while things are tough and seeing things through with the bigger picture in mind is the opposite of "weak as piss".

compare King to Ann for instance. 

He bowed to fan pressure on each occasion right from their rebirth- are they getting better , is the club in a better place on/ off the field?

Compare that to Ann.

Fans that panic and react too quickly due to their emotions are imo -weak as piss.

The fans that can see the bigger picture, give a man time and can be pragmatic are imo the stronger one's.

shaun.lawson
17 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

The fans that can see the bigger picture, give a man time and can be pragmatic are imo the stronger one's.

As others have pointed out, in your constant predictions all season that they'd crash and burn, or that we'd catch them, you've been anything but pragmatic. And that's the whole problem. Maroon blinkers firmly affixed. If others at the club have a similar attitude (the past is all that counts!), we're screwed. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

As others have pointed out, in your constant predictions all season that they'd crash and burn, or that we'd catch them, you've been anything but pragmatic. And that's the whole problem. Maroon blinkers firmly affixed. If others at the club have a similar attitude (the past is all that counts!), we're screwed. 

I also called unbeaten December. 

I also called the rangers crash and burn.

also said we'd knock hibs out.

some you win some you lose.

Fancy a Hearts fan being positve about something, crazy world.

as my above post, we're shite, hibs are uncatchable, sack the manager- that more pragmatic?

solution to this-sack Cl, giving him time is madness. Never work.

Hibs have had the better of us this season.  Right down to their younger teams and their woman's team.  Bound to happen now and again.  I'm not losing any sleep.  Importantly though, we bounced them out the Cup.

Interesting that on .net, several posters opine that FoH is going to give us a long term advantage.  I agree with them.  Things will come right on the park and FoH subs will quite probably increase accordingly.

Some on .net correctly point out that if FoH was going to falter, that would have happened already.

So looking to the future we have FoH, shiny new stand with great income generating potential, prospects of a lucrative shirt or stand sponsor or both, superb training facilities ang a new billiard table playing surface for next season.

And we have Ann Budge.  

Our fortunes on the park will improve significantly.  Watch this space.

Enjoy your 19 point lead Hibs.  Long time till you see that again.

Nookie Bear
8 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

I also called unbeaten December. 

I also called the rangers crash and burn.

also said we'd knock hibs out.

some you win some you lose.

Fancy a Hearts fan being positve about something, crazy world.

as my above post, we're shite, hibs are uncatchable, sack the manager- that more pragmatic?

solution to this-sack Cl, giving him time is madness. Never work.

It has nothing to do with hibs, it is everything to do with us performing massively beneath potential and whether we have the right man in place to change that.

Phil Dunphy

I like how some people on here claim to be the voice of reason, yet are happy to run the risk of us repeating the same mistakes we’ve made by giving a manager a summer to change things, only to punt him when he fails and then we spend the rest of the next season talking about how ‘it’s not his team’ and we should give him the summer. 

Telling us it’ll all be better next season, without a single shred of reason to back it up. 

A symptom of what the club has become. A soft touch. 

Des Lynam
8 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I like how some people on here claim to be the voice of reason, yet are happy to run the risk of us repeating the same mistakes we’ve made by giving a manager a summer to change things, only to punt him when he fails and then we spend the rest of the next season talking about how ‘it’s not his team’ and we should give him the summer. 

Telling us it’ll all be better next season, without a single shred of reason to back it up. 

A symptom of what the club has become. A soft touch. 

It’s because we are run by a woman and not some big tough butch guy like you. 

Repeat mistakes? Cathro was a disaster and had to go after the league cup debacle. 

There’s been plenty of reasons given! 

Phil Dunphy
31 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

It’s because we are run by a woman and not some big tough butch guy like you. 

Repeat mistakes? Cathro was a disaster and had to go after the league cup debacle. 

There’s been plenty of reasons given! 

That’s a bit sexist, don’t you think?

Hibs are being run by a woman and are going great guns. Unlike us, who’ve become mediocre. 

Go on, give me some reasons why Craig Levein is going to turn this around with his strike force of Connor Sammon and Steven MacLean. 

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Hibs are being run by a woman and are going great guns. Unlike us, who’ve become mediocre. 

Go on, give me some reasons why Craig Levein is going to turn this around with his strike force of Connor Sammon and Steven MacLean. 

Notice you never questioned the "big tough butch guy" line though :interehjrling:

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

It has nothing to do with hibs, it is everything to do with us performing massively beneath potential and whether we have the right man in place to change that.

For you maybe, for some it's about hibs.

I'm personally more concerned with catching Aberdeen, who have been the second best team for a good 4/5 years, I think that is within our potential

I agree reference last part, some think changing managers will fix things, others think giving CL time to sort it out will.

Time will prove who was right, I guess.

Phil Dunphy
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Notice you never questioned the "big tough butch guy" line though :interehjrling:

Have you never seen a photo of me? It goes without saying. 

Here’s me on my last holiday to Hawaii;

E3C2962B-449F-469D-9106-77934338375A.jpeg

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Sarcasm.

Hibs also spent 3 divisions in the lower league, are we really being that selective? Do you also admit Robbie had us going great guns, or is that selective thing that folk have really kicking in?

Reasons-

I personally do not think our strike force will be the two players you mention.

As DoF he overseen 2.5 years of progress, before he made a a mistake and pointed Cathro.

He has done it before with us and other teams ( UTD, Cowdenbeath).

We have already improved under him from when he taken over.

Hopefully , playing our first quarter of the league campaign away won't happen next season, we won't be at Murray field and hopefully our midfielders do not suffer as many injuries as this year and most of all hopefully we are fully fit and not hitting the league games after being knocked out the LC by Dunfermline/ Peterhead.

MikeySimpson
19 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

For you maybe, for some it's about hibs.

I'm personally more concerned with catching Aberdeen, who have been the second best team for a good 4/5 years, I think that is within our potential

I agree reference last part, some think changing managers will fix things, others think giving CL time to sort it out will.

Time will prove who was right, I guess.

Why don't we focus on catching Kilmarnock? Or avoiding the bottom six? Because honestly with the signings Levein has made so far, tied in with our form away from home, I can't see us even remotely catching them

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, MikeySimpson said:

Why don't we focus on catching Kilmarnock? Or avoiding the bottom six? Because honestly with the signings Levein has made so far, tied in with our form away from home, I can't see us even remotely catching them

Good job the transfer window hasn't even opened yet, never mind closed then.

It’s not even up for debate. Hearts should be top 3. 

Whether Aberdeen and Hibs are good, not bad, or shite.

They’ve never influenced where Hearts should be. We’ve never had to look up to clubs deemed our closest rivals.

Yes, if they are doing better than us it rankles but only because we know in the past we were the barometer for most part. 

Ive always felt we’ve been singled minded as a club and know what our standards should be. It doesn’t matter who’s above us. Our own hunger and history should be our guide. 

Archived