Well done Steve Clarke

Mikey1874

All over the media this morning he turned them down. He was the obvious candidate.

A brave decision. Possibly as with McInnes common sense regarding working for a basket case. 

Suppose he could have other options. But for me this is less about Rangers and more about Kilmarnock. Next season will be tougher. But hopefully he sees the potential to build something. 

And show Scottish football is about more than Rangers and Celtic. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

All over the media this morning he turned them down. He was the obvious candidate.

A brave decision. Possibly as with McInnes common sense regarding working for a basket case. 

Suppose he could have other options. But for me this is less about Rangers and more about Kilmarnock. Next season will be tougher. But hopefully he sees the potential to build something. 

And show Scottish football is about more than Rangers and Celtic. 

Think he sees himself aa a potential candidate for Celtic if Rodgers leaves for Arsenal. 

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Think he sees himself aa a potential candidate for Celtic if Rodgers leaves for Arsenal. 

Yeah. It might not be so much about staying longer at Kilmarnock. But hope he does.

His name is
5 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Rodgers will be no where near arsenal 

9 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Rogers isn't getting the Arsenal job. Not a chance...

Stevie Clarke knows a basket case when he sees it. 

Nookie Bear
5 minutes ago, blairdin said:

Rogers isn't getting the Arsenal job. Not a chance...

Stevie Clarke knows a basket case when he sees it. 

Yep, no way will Rodgers be getting the Arsenal job, but there will be a flurry of EPL jobs coming up in the next few months that he will be looking at. I reckon he has done all he can at celtic and - most importantly for him - he feels he has rebuilt his reputation.

Clarke is interesting and, as fantastic a job he has done, i would be waiting for this time next year to be judging him properly.

Steve Clarke is from Ayrshire and a boyhood Kilmarnock fan.

If he goes anywhere it will be back down to England. He has a point to prove he should never have been sacked from West Brom imo.

Don't see him deserting Killie for another Scottish club and he wouldn't be a big enough name to satisfy Celtic fans if Rodgers leaves.

19 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I think there is more chance of Eddie Howe getting the Arsenal job than Rodgers although you never know.

10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

They're not Rangers any more.  :pleasing:

Spot on. Before they would click their fingers and expect managers at other Scottish clubs to come running. Those days are well gone. Well done Steve Clarke. Can only be a good thing for our league having managers like him at clubs like Kilmarnock  is that not one of the headlines in the Scottish papers  'kilmarnockback'  sorry!

I think this kills any hopes some had that we could replace Levein with Clarke - it is pretty clear he wants a big championship club upwards, as his family are down south.

Enzo Chiefo
14 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Spot on. Before they would click their fingers and expect managers at other Scottish clubs to come running. Those days are well gone. Well done Steve Clarke. Can only be a good thing for our league having managers like him at clubs like Kilmarnock  is that not one of the headlines in the Scottish papers  'kilmarnockback'  sorry!

Correct Elmore. Although to be fair, I do remember both Jim McLean and Alex Ferguson turning down Rangers back in about 1983   when they were the top 2 managers in the country. Great though

buzzbomb1958

This tells the football world that Rangers are dead and Sevco are a pishy wee club with no money ,no one will touch them and anyone who does must be very desperate

Tynecastlesmychurch

I suspect the next headline will be something along the lines of "Steve Clarke not good enough for rangers" or "Rangers decide Steve Clarke not the man for them", "We can do better than Steve Clarke" or perhaps "Clarke not ready for Rangers!"  Etc etc... 

16 minutes ago, Tynecastlesmychurch said:

I suspect the next headline will be something along the lines of "Steve Clarke not good enough for rangers" or "Rangers decide Steve Clarke not the man for them", "We can do better than Steve Clarke" or perhaps "Clarke not ready for Rangers!"  Etc etc... 

You missed fitting in “concomitant” ...

Class of 75

Would like to see Hearts offer Clarke a contract and shove Levein back to DOF. Although he has knocked back Sevco we are a more attractive proposition. 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Correct Elmore. Although to be fair, I do remember both Jim McLean and Alex Ferguson turning down Rangers back in about 1983   when they were the top 2 managers in the country. Great though

They turned down Rangers back then as Rangers still refused to have a Catholic in the first team.

You're not Rangers anymore:laugh:    they can't even get a guy to leave Killie for the marble staircase. Great days and fair play to Clarke. Watch the smear campaign unfold as Gymn Trainer seethes to the media. 

I think Steve Clarke has a better chance of the Arsenal job than Brenda!

The only ones I hear spouting Rodgers for the Arsenal job are Celtic board and Brenda himself...

Deluded or what?

Enzo Chiefo
24 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

They turned down Rangers back then as Rangers still refused to have a Catholic in the first team.

That was certainly a major factor John but I think they also realised that they had more chance of success staying where they were. And so it proved. 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Forgot about Fergie and McLean. Though, they were both managing clubs who were both more successful at the time.  In the past, a team like Kilmarnock would be seen as easy pickings.  A strong rangers is good for Scottish football we are told. A shite rangers means that other teams get to keep their good managers and this can't be good for the game...

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Even though he is not our manager I like Steve Clarke. 

Comes across as far too sensible a bloke to join the tribute act. 

This. I like his dour approach as well.  Never says more than he needs to.  Even more respect for the man now that he has openly knocked back Rangers.

Stevie G:..:laugh:

IF this is about staying at Kilmarnock then they will feel well worthy of a top 4 finish next season(if not this season). I think though this is more about a desire to go back south where he see's it as unfinished business.

1 minute ago, Elmore said:

This. I like his dour approach as well.  Never says more than he needs to.  Even more respect for the man now that he has openly knocked back Rangers.

Stevie G:..:laugh:

He's a bit in the mould of Jim McLean and Alex Ferguson that he doesn't take any shit as well. 

Certainly enhancing his reputation. I do think next season will be tough at Kilmarnock to repeat this season. Good on him if he's up for that challenge. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

He's a bit in the mould of Jim McLean and Alex Ferguson that he doesn't take any shit as well. 

Certainly enhancing his reputation. I do think next season will be tough at Kilmarnock to repeat this season. Good on him if he's up for that challenge. 

I think he'll be up for the challenge. It's our type of budget v his contacts. Other teams will have his number a bit more in their second season with him.  

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, frankblack said:

I think this kills any hopes some had that we could replace Levein with Clarke - it is pretty clear he wants a big championship club upwards, as his family are down south.

He’s done a brilliant job, not sure if we would ever have been able to get him to replace Levein but he should've been in the running to replace Cathro.

26 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s done a brilliant job, not sure if we would ever have been able to get him to replace Levein but he should've been in the running to replace Cathro.

Did he apply for the job?

maroonexile
3 hours ago, Class of 75 said:

Would like to see Hearts offer Clarke a contract and shove Levein back to DOF. Although he has knocked back Sevco we are a more attractive proposition. 

Clarke would never work under those parameters, and neither would any manager of substance.

Would love to swap Clarke with Levein.

Enzo Chiefo
6 minutes ago, maroonexile said:

Clarke would never work under those parameters, and neither would any manager of substance.

Would love to swap Clarke with Levein.

Agreed. Which is why the candidate who was originally offered the job decided against it, smoothing the way for Ann's "eureka" moment. It's similar to the position under Vlad where a lot of coaches wouldn't have gone near the job.

4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

That makes a lot of sense to me Alim :2thumbsup:

Bridge of Djoum

If Rangers, (RIP 2012) gave me a call I'd knock them back. Utter shambles of a club and institution and a bunch of ****** vile, inbred mutants to boot.

**** em. 

According to the BBC the job is Gerrard's if he wants it!! Meanwhile the manager of Kilmarnock has just knocked them back... is someone connected with Liverpool really going to go there when someone from a small Scottish club want go near them?

There's no doubt Steve Clarke has made a brilliant start at Killie but will be interesting to see just how good a manager he is when the dust settles.  He could be next season's Tommy Wright.  

1 hour ago, jock _turd said:

According to the BBC the job is Gerrard's if he wants it!! Meanwhile the manager of Kilmarnock has just knocked them back... is someone connected with Liverpool really going to go there when someone from a small Scottish club want go near them?

Someone from outwith the Scottish game is less likely to know just how toxic a club they are in all senses, so perhaps...?

1 hour ago, jock _turd said:

Rangers want Clarke so much they never even spoke to him but on  the back of that they ARE speaking to Gerard about the job. Presumably Clarke was their first choice but as  soon as he dumps them , although not having been in dialogue with the club, they are talking to Gerrard straight away.  Aye, OK then. 

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm not surprised as he's a Tim

Ayrshire taig, according to Bearsden. Not sure which bit upsets them the most .:rolleyes:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Gerrard must have advisors around him who know the score. I suppose he might think if it as a couple of years of on the job training for a gig down south. Just getting used to the ins and outs, not even caring if thegre behind Celtic in everything. 

Archived