RobboM

Footballfirst
On 5/29/2018 at 21:17, RobboM said:

The floodgates have opened and the deadline for applicaions to the East of Scotland has been extended to 31 May. This has caused a flurry of last minute meetings at many clubs, tonight Bo'ness Utd have announced they are applying. Newtongrange, Arniston and Penicuik were amongst the applicants coming forward in the past week. All now waiting on whether Linlithgow Rose will jump or just stay Junior and hoover up all the prizes in the East next season.

Linlithgow has jumped.

Linlithgow Rose F.C. @LRFC1889 3h3 hours ago

EoS League Application: For clarification, the club submitted an application to join the EoS League earlier this week. A meeting with club members had already been arranged for Monday 4th June and will go ahead as planned in line with the club's constitution.

Edited by Footballfirst

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• davemclaren

• RobboM

• systemx

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Central Belt 1874

Good luck to Linlithgow. I wonder if Bo’ness will apply now. Can’t be having no derby!

1 hour ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Good luck to Linlithgow. I wonder if Bo’ness will apply now. Can’t be having no derby!

Bo'ness already announced they have applied before today 

davemclaren
58 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Stick a fork in Junior fitba, it's done

Seems like it, at least in the East Region. 

weegie jambo

surprised the Glasgow clubs and more especially the Ayrshire teams aren't clamouring to join the pyramid, although I'm not altogether sure of the route to be taken.

1 minute ago, weegie jambo said:

surprised the Glasgow clubs and more especially the Ayrshire teams aren't clamouring to join the pyramid, although I'm not altogether sure of the route to be taken.

At the moment there isn't really a West of Scotland equivalent for them to move into even if they were so inclined. It may be possible for the existing West & Ayrshire leagues to join the pyramid in their entirety but there will need to be some re-thinking of the balance at Level 5 (Highland League/Lowland League) to take into account the huge imbalance in scale between the feeder leagues. I've been surprised just how complacent the Scottish Junior Football Association and the East Region JFA have been throughout this exodus. Not a single statement, plan or reaction to the wholesale dismantling of the Junior grade in the east.

Footballfirst
11 minutes ago, weegie jambo said:

I think that's part of the problem. It think they will be waiting for the establishment of a WoSFL at tier 6, with play offs between the EoS, WoS and SoS leagues for promotion to the Lowland league.

As the pyramid is extended, then I believe there has to be more automatic promotion/relegation and playoffs, rather than a single play off place as entry to the SPFL.

Edited by Footballfirst

weegie jambo
1 minute ago, RobboM said:

At the moment there isn't really a West of Scotland equivalent for them to move into even if they were so inclined. It may be possible for the existing West & Ayrshire leagues to join the pyramid in their entirety but there will need to be some re-thinking of the balance at Level 5 (Highland League/Lowland League) to take into account the huge imbalance in scale between the feeder leagues. I've been surprised just how complacent the Scottish Junior Football Association and the East Region JFA have been throughout this exodus. Not a single statement, plan or reaction to the wholesale dismantling of the Junior grade in the east.

I find all these new moves quite exciting for the future of Scottish football. I know how successful Ayrshire teams are and reasonably well supported too. It would be great for a new pathway to be created. I agree it seems strange that there has been no comment on the mass exodus and how the leagues will go forward.

weegie jambo
13 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I think that's part of the problem. It think they will be waiting for the establishment of a WoSFL at tier 6, with play offs between the EoS, WoS and SoS leagues for promotion to the Lowland league.

As the pyramid is extended, then I believe there has to be more automatic promotion/relegation and playoffs, rather than a single play off place as entry to the SPFL.

An automatic promotion of one or two places with play-offs would seem to be a better way forward. The pathway is too slow and long winded right now. It's hit or miss whether you get a new face in League Two. Better to have a definite promotion/relegation scenario than the current one. 

Big Moysey

Believe the West teams voted fairly unanimously against leaving the Junior set up. Think though that with the exodus from the East now, as FF is suggesting the West Juniors will likely follow.

Central Belt 1874
43 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

Bo'ness already announced they have applied before today 

Nice one.

What’s the West regions reasoning behind staying junior then? Is it a lack of ambition or finances that concern them?

20 minutes ago, Big Moysey said:

Believe the West teams voted fairly unanimously against leaving the Junior set up. Think though that with the exodus from the East now, as FF is suggesting the West Juniors will likely follow.

In the recent survey only 4 West Superleague teams voted against the idea of a pyramid. Auchinleck, Glenafton, Kirkintilloch, Cumnock.

Footballfirst
7 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Nice one.

What’s the West regions reasoning behind staying junior then? Is it a lack of ambition or finances that concern them?

They will want a regionalised league set up for the WoS, which is not an unreasonable requirement at that level.

weegie jambo
5 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Nice one.

Don't know the answer to that one. Surely not finances as I'm pretty sure some clubs are on a good financial footing already, that wouldn't change if they showed some ambition to go further IMO

9 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Nice one.

3 minutes ago, weegie jambo said:

Don't know the answer to that one. Surely not finances as I'm pretty sure some clubs are on a good financial footing already, that wouldn't change if they showed some ambition to go further IMO

Some of those bigger fish have no ambition to play at a higher level. Their ambition is the Junior Cup. The guy at the head of the Scottish JFA has, for years, lobbied against the pyramid. This may be just job protection but there have been a lot of scare stories over the years about the money that would needed to be spent on ground facilities, the distances they would need to travel if successful, the loss of tradition, the loss of the Junior Cup and so on. With Kelty winning the East Superleague last year, defecting to the East League, winning the East League and the play off to the Lowland League all those arguments have proven to be false or grossly exaggerated. Clubs in the east have looked at that example, seen the realistic prospect of becoming licensed and gaining entry to the Scottsh Cup, potential to move up beyond winning leagues, potential ground improvement grants, an U20 league to progress their own players, a set of league fixtures known in advance, and decided not to listen to the SJFA promises of jam tomorrow.

weegie jambo
6 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Some of those bigger fish have no ambition to play at a higher level. Their ambition is the Junior Cup. The guy at the head of the Scottish JFA has, for years, lobbied against the pyramid. This may be just job protection but there have been a lot of scare stories over the years about the money that would needed to be spent on ground facilities, the distances they would need to travel if successful, the loss of tradition, the loss of the Junior Cup and so on. With Kelty winning the East Superleague last year, defecting to the East League, winning the East League and the play off to the Lowland League all those arguments have proven to be false or grossly exaggerated. Clubs in the east have looked at that example, seen the realistic prospect of becoming licensed and gaining entry to the Scottsh Cup, potential to move up beyond winning leagues, potential ground improvement grants, an U20 league to progress their own players, a set of league fixtures known in advance, and decided not to listen to the SJFA promises of jam tomorrow.

That's an excellent summary, thanks. I could see junior clubs with a good infrastructure like Pollock or Auchenleck  easily holding teir own and going places.

3 minutes ago, weegie jambo said:

That's an excellent summary, thanks. I could see junior clubs with a good infrastructure like Pollock or Auchenleck  easily holding teir own and going places.

Thanks .... I was going to add Cat 1 Refs at Lowland League (level 5) but not sure if this is an advantage :laugh:

weegie jambo
7 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Thanks .... I was going to add Cat 1 Refs at Lowland League (level 5) but not sure if this is an advantage :laugh:

I imagine their incompetence will trickle down to that level too!

Don't most Lowland league sides have zero supporters? University teams etc. I guess they'll be replaced over time with some of these well supported teams?

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, savage said:

Kelty were ahead of the game here.  Going to be hard to get out of eos into lowland now

This is something that will have to change also. you can't possibly get away with a 1 up/1 down 

I would think it will change to at least 2 with at least a play off for a 3rd.

The west teams will not leave until something is changed in the current pro set up.

Playing in the SOS league is a massive drop in standard compared to the current WoS junior premier division. (And revenue)

Add to that from next season the top league will be 16 teams instead of 12 gives teams more gate money against well supported sides. 

If if there are serious discussion about a WoS league, at tier 6 level where the top west junior sides can move to then it will happen, until then it won’t. 

On on top of that there should be discussions about converting the current Scottish junior cup into a non league cup, invite the tier 5 and 6 sides, however have it like the big Scottish where the higher up the league sides don’t enter it until a bit further in the competition. 

MacDonald Jardine
1 hour ago, pablo said:

Don't most Lowland league sides have zero supporters? University teams etc. I guess they'll be replaced over time with some of these well supported teams?

They don't get big crowds but they're basically the biggest clubs from the East of Scotland league, e.g.Spartans.

East Stirling are in there too.

2 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

They don't get big crowds but they're basically the biggest clubs from the East of Scotland league, e.g.Spartans.

East Stirling are in there too.

Both those teams have fans though. I was more meaning Stirling University and BSC Glasgow. Surely the big junior sides will replace them eventually?

MacDonald Jardine
1 minute ago, pablo said:

Both those teams have fans though. I was more meaning Stirling University and BSC Glasgow. Surely the big junior sides will replace them eventually?

You would think so, although how BSC are in there at all is a mystery.

davemclaren
5 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Great news that the 'real' Rose, and by far the biggest junior club in the league, bar none, has put it's hat in the ring.

Good luck to them.

Eh, the real Rose is in Bonnyrigg. Check the current league table - natural order. 

The Treasurer

If this is done properly it could be a real shot in the arm for Scottish football in general.

Teams with ambition will have a clear path to progress, while clubs further down the chain will find their level and be comfortable.

The genuine chance of different teams coming into the league set-up keeps things fresh and also opens up the possibility of fresh investment.

Apparently there are now 39 teams in the EofS League next season with 3 leagues of 13 likely then play offs.

I'll admit to knowing very little about Junior football. This thread has been really interesting and informative so just thought I'd say thanks to everyone who's contributed.

:thumbsup:

Would be good if the team-led shake up of Junior/lower level football has a knock on effect on the wider game.

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Boozyuzi said:

Apparently there are now 39 teams in the EofS League next season with 3 leagues of 13 likely then play offs.

I would be surprised if they retained three leagues of 13 all at level 6 for more than one season.  I'd imagine that they might end up with one league at level six , seven and eight, or one at six and two at seven. 

The key objective should be to open up the promotion process between the SPFL and Highland/Lowland and the Lowland to the EoS.  Only then would you have an effective pyramid.  However, there is always the chance that self interest will see the lower league SPFL teams vote against any proposal to open access to the ambitious teams from the lower levels.  For teams like Cowdenbeath, a relegation might be a death knell.  

Having jumped a season earlier than the rest, I'd expect that Kelty will consolidate their position in the top three or four teams in the Lowland League (I don't think they will win it at the first time of asking), but competition is going to be pretty fierce if there is only one Lowland League place available for the 39 EOS and 15 SoS teams.  You'd expect Bonnyrigg and Linlithgow to be favourites, but with other East Superleague sides for competition, it might come down to a couple of play-off games that make the difference.

Edited by Footballfirst

Tranent 1 Glenrothes 0 last ever Junior league game at Foresters Park

last game as a Junior outfit next week's East of Scotland Cup Final. Mon the Belters 

maroonedinoz

I've came in late to this thread, but....I've always wondered what the benefits were to staying in the 'juniors'?

If a team is good enough in the lower 'senior' leagues it will progress, if not then surely it has found its level?.

So my question...what is the benefit to those junior clubs that do NOT want to join the 'pyramid'?

2 minutes ago, maroonedinoz said:

I've came in late to this thread, but....I've always wondered what the benefits were to staying in the 'juniors'?

If a team is good enough in the lower 'senior' leagues it will progress, if not then surely it has found its level?.

So my question...what is the benefit to those junior clubs that do NOT want to join the 'pyramid'?

I manage a junior team that’s not going to the EOS. There’s meeting happening to ensure the juniors join the pyramid .  As far as I’m aware after speaking to a few other managers there going to follow the others. Especially the bigger clubs who would lose out on revenue of the other bigger clubs left and went to EOS.  As far as we’re concerned there’s been no evidence to state there will be any benefits of moving.

Lee Wallace is in the process of Joining Kelty Hearts, under 20s coach is his current official title. Thus may change depending on his Rangers disciplinary outcome . 

8 hours ago, MikeyW said:

I manage a junior team that’s not going to the EOS. There’s meeting happening to ensure the juniors join the pyramid .  As far as I’m aware after speaking to a few other managers there going to follow the others. Especially the bigger clubs who would lose out on revenue of the other bigger clubs left and went to EOS.  As far as we’re concerned there’s been no evidence to state there will be any benefits of moving.

What are the benefits of staying?  Next season, there are going to be more clubs in the EoS than in the East juniors.  All clubs from Edinburgh, East Lothian and Midlothian have moved over already.  Some from Fife, West Lothian etc. too.  Half the remaining East juniors are going to be Dundee/Angus/Perthshire clubs now.  A lot of travelling for some of the East juniors from West Lothian next season and the status of the East juniors has clearly been massively diminished by the exodus including some of the biggest juniors clubs e.g. Bo'ness, Bonnyrigg and Linlithgow (pending Monday's meeting).

Footballfirst

Here's the latest list of teams likely to be in the EoSFL next season (lifted from P&B so ignore the geography)

image.png.a439062a6d76f207a2ce2c2562999f55.png

Tommy Brown

what's left

LOTHIANS

Arniston Rangers  

Craigroyston  
 Edinburgh United  
 Newtongrange Star  
 Armadale Thistle  
 Bathgate Thistle  
 Fauldhouse United  
 Harthill Royal  
 Livingston United  
 Pumpherston Juniors  
 Stoneyburn Juniors  
 West Calder United  
 Whitburn Juniors  

FIFE

Glenrothes  
 Kennoway Star Hearts  
 Kinnoull  
 Kirkcaldy YM  
 Lochgelly Albert  
 Newburgh  
 Oakley United  
 Rosyth  
 Tayport  

Thornton Hibs  

PERTH /DUNDEE/ ANGUS

Arbroath Vics  
 Blairgowrie  
 Brechin Vics  
 Broughty Athletic  
 Carnoustie Panmure  
 Coupar Angus  
 Downfield  
 Dundee North End  
 Dundee Violet  
 East Craigie  
 Forfar Albion  
 Forfar West End  
 Kirriemuir Thistle  
 Lochee Harp  
 Lochee United  
 Lochore Welfare  
 Luncarty  
 Scone Thistle  

54 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

what's left

LOTHIANS

Arniston Rangers  

Craigroyston  
 Edinburgh United  
 Newtongrange Star  
 Armadale Thistle  
 Bathgate Thistle  
 Fauldhouse United  
 Harthill Royal  
 Livingston United  
 Pumpherston Juniors  
 Stoneyburn Juniors  
 West Calder United  
 Whitburn Juniors  

FIFE

Glenrothes  
 Kennoway Star Hearts  
 Kinnoull  
 Kirkcaldy YM  
 Lochgelly Albert  
 Newburgh  
 Oakley United  
 Rosyth  
 Tayport  

Thornton Hibs  

PERTH /DUNDEE/ ANGUS

Arbroath Vics  
 Blairgowrie  
 Brechin Vics  
 Broughty Athletic  
 Carnoustie Panmure  
 Coupar Angus  
 Downfield  
 Dundee North End  
 Dundee Violet  
 East Craigie  
 Forfar Albion  
 Forfar West End  
 Kirriemuir Thistle  
 Lochee Harp  
 Lochee United  
 Lochore Welfare  
 Luncarty  
 Scone Thistle  

The first four are all gone are they not ?

Allowayjambo1874
1 hour ago, cookieboy said:

I thought Arniston  were deferring and joining following season? Apologies in advance if incorrect 

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, cookieboy said:

my bad, your correct. 

i never noticed them at the top of FF's list.

Armadale Thistle  
 Bathgate Thistle  
 Fauldhouse United  
 Harthill Royal  
 Livingston United  
 Pumpherston Juniors  
 Stoneyburn Juniors  
 West Calder United  

Whitburn Juniors  

West Lothian only, it is then :smile:

12 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

my bad, your correct. 

i never noticed them at the top of FF's list.

Armadale Thistle  
 Bathgate Thistle  
 Fauldhouse United  
 Harthill Royal  
 Livingston United  
 Pumpherston Juniors  
 Stoneyburn Juniors  
 West Calder United  

Whitburn Juniors  

West Lothian only, it is then :smile:

Harthill is in Lanarkshire. Surprised whitburn and Bathgate have still opted for the juniors , although they have both declined somewhat in recent years.

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, EIEIO said:

Harthill is in Lanarkshire. Surprised whitburn and Bathgate have still opted for the juniors , although they have both declined somewhat in recent years.

surprised to see those two staying put, also.

9 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Harthill is Lanarkshire but their ground is in West Lothian 

21 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Here's the latest list of teams likely to be in the EoSFL next season (lifted from P&B so ignore the geography)

image.png.a439062a6d76f207a2ce2c2562999f55.png

Vale of Leithen not listed? 

2 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Vale of Leithen not listed? 

Lowland League.  Finished second bottom last season and would have been relegated if Cove had beaten Cowdenbeath in the playoffs but they lost.

1 minute ago, Stanley_ said:

Lowland League.  Finished second bottom last season and would have been relegated if Cove had beaten Cowdenbeath in the playoffs but they lost.

AH, that makes sense.  

kirkierobroy

If the Juniors collapse and there's one big pot, imagine the confusion if Vale of Leithen end up playing Vale of Leven...

West/Central Juniors still big box office in relative terms. On the last full day of matches, Auchinleck could guarantee the title with a win. They blew a 2-0 lead to draw 2-2. At Cumnock.

That would have been great television.

The Western leg of the pyramid has to be the West/Central system itself. The West teams in the Lowland League won't welcome them, though.

The fly in the ointment is the Junior Cup - hugely devalued without the likes of Linlithgow, Bonnyrigg, Kelty, Boness and others with a real heritage in it. Ideally it would become a global non-league Scottish Cup. As such, the SJFA could use that as a bargaining chip but I don't know that the guys at the top are bright enough to think of that.

letsalldothebeattie

Leagues have been decided tonight for the new look East Of Scotland. 3 conferences 

Conference A -

Hawick

Leith

Peebles

Coldstream

Tweedmouth

Penicuik 

Hill of Beath

Newtongrange

Musselburgh

Dunbar 

Arniston