A Small Victory for Common Decency

Chip Douglas

Good grief - are you for real?

The 'Williamite campaign for liberty and freedom for ALL' - would that be the same one which led to Catholics being denied the right to hold the throne in this country, which still applies today?

Aside from that, history tells us that William did many great things as king- such a shame that his memory has been hijacked by these bams, and that he is now forever associated with low rent hunnery, as is the Orange Order.

You are living in the past - the Orange Order is a bloated anachronism. And, as someone else pointed out, the majority of people that attend these marches will be ugly, thick and probably overweight. Average huns, in other words.

If the best you have got is personal insults regarding looks etc. then I think the OO is safe!

Although I admit I enjoy going to Tynecastle and cheering on the Jambos next to all the intelligent supermodels!

The fact that you feel I am living in the past is irrelevant. We ? the OO - are law abiding citizens who have an annual celebration which culminates in a parade. We wish no harm or ill-will to anyone, and are ? thanks to the events we are celebrating ? perfectly entitled to our opinion and belief.

Out of interest, would you say Guy Fawkes night, Bannockburn "celebrations", William Wallace commemorations, "Fower of Scotland", Contalmaison trips etc. etc. are "outdated anachronisms"?

Also, the act of settlement disadvantages no ordinary Roman Catholic, and has served our country well for 300 years.

Would it be accepted on this board if I started making derogatory comments about Roman Catholics, Asians, Muslims, Jews etc. etc. If not, then why is it acceptable to make them about Protestants?

The second parade in Midlothian is the traditional culmination of the days celebrations. They will parade around their home town, and then head to a function hall where celebrations will continue into the wee small hours. What exactly is the problem?

I have no wish to get embroiled in these debates on here, I just wish people would stop posting misinformed, intolerant nonsense about my beliefs and institution.

...The second parade in Midlothian is the traditional culmination of the days celebrations. They will parade around their home town, and then head to a function hall where celebrations will continue into the wee small hours. What exactly is the problem?...

The Midlothian District Loyal Orange Institution of Scotland is not made up solely of people from Penicuik and therefore Penicuik cannot be deemed as their home town.

Knowing many residents of Penicuik of all ages and faiths, i would say the precentage of those in the order that actually reside in Penicuik is overall very small.

One old gentleman from the 'Cuik i know was particulary disgusted at the level of public urination, with no effort made to conceal themselves, that was going by Orange Order members.

If the members of the Midlothian District Loyal Orange Institution can't behave with decency in a town they don't live in then why should that towns residents put up with them year after year?

Yes, Kickback is nothing but a big 'chatholic' conspiracy. Get a grip.

The Orange Order has not nothing to do with the modern Scotland we live in. If you want to practice religion, why don't you go to one of the many churches?

Who are you to decide the Orange Lodge is irrellevant?

As a Protestant with family in N.I., i am not ashamed to say that my family has links to the Orange Order. We're not overly passionate but i still don't feel i should be ashamed of anything.

Toggie, i don't mean it in an abusive way, but it's clear that being seperated from every sector of Christianity (bar Catholicism), Judaism, Islam etc right through your education ensures that you're probably discriminative without even knowing it.

Patrick Bateman

I think Orange Order parades are great. At what other time of the year would I be able to go to my local high street to see a bunch of knuckle-draggers wave grotesque orange and purple banners whilst playing their penny flutes in tribute to their bisexual, dwarven Dutch hero. Gobble Gobble.

Archived