VAR chalks off another goal tonight at Wembley

CJGJ

This one is not clear cut at all and pictures seem to show the defender fouled the attacker and not the other way round

Spurs goal wiped out but there will be talks about this one

Terrible decision.  As a matter of interest, how bad is the weather in Scotland to see all these games postponed?

4 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Terrible decision.  As a matter of interest, how bad is the weather in Scotland to see all these games postponed?

just a few flakes

Is Stevie Wonder doing the VAR?  Two shocking decisions against Spurs.  Possibly another on its way.

10 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

red weather alert warning for Central belt.  Most trains cancelled by 5pm. About 8 inches of snow where I am and more on the way. The beats from the East indeed. Bit different from the weather in NZ just now

Now we have another VAR decision to be made as to whether an offence was inside or outside the box..given as inside so a penalty to Spurs

However what a nonsense as it now depends when a foul is noticed by the officials....it basically means that if he does not blow straight away and the offence continues into the box then the ref can blow and give a decision which might have differed from the decision had he seen it at first or taken action at first sight

Then penalty scored but disallowed !!! ..player judged as fainting in the run up so 'goal' disallowed..what a nonsense as you see it all the time and worse fans are unaware of the reason as to why it was disallowed...it is a farce and needs to be fixed

Goal Rochdale and 1-1 !!!!!!!!!!...but again come back in 5 mins to make sure

1 minute ago, kila said:

Why are the markings blue? 

Easier to see in case snow gets worse..edit beaten to it but this match has almost had it all and for various reasons is great entertainment so far

Given the weather and temperature all the standing about will eventually result in injuries , strains & sprains

Portable Badger

Whilst it will probably end up 5-1 to Spurs I'm loving the VAR & controversial frustrations being generated tonight :greggy:

2 minutes ago, kila said:

Fair enough, thought the undersoil heating would mean no need!

No problems at Tynecastle last night

My friend just texted me after reading this thread and said it was because Spurs were playing in white...which was fine until it was pointed out to him Rochdale were playing in blue !!

Rochdale hit the post !!...it is a match not to take your eyes off for all sorts of reasons

There will be more goals scored in this match....................................................................whether they will all count is open to question ;)

Footballfirst

I thought that VAR was supposed to be to correct clear and obvious errors by the officials.  The "foul" at the first goal, in my opinion, was not a clear and obvious error, so the VAR official should not have got involved.

I'm actually glad to see a ref actually apply the letter of the law on run-ups to a penalty. Son clearly stopped, rather than slowed down, so I think the ref was correct on this occasion.  It was not a VAR issue though.

If the VAR official is looking for a reason not to give a goal every time a goal is scored then it is plain daft.  Will he look for encroachment at every penalty now?

The commentator said Spurs had painted the lines blue for visibility reasons but had been told that VAR doesn't like blue lines do they had to paint white over them.

5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I thought that VAR was supposed to be to correct clear and obvious errors by the officials.  The "foul" at the first goal, in my opinion, was not a clear and obvious error, so the VAR official should not have got involved.

I'm actually glad to see a ref actually apply the letter of the law on run-ups to a penalty. Son clearly stopped, rather than slowed down, so I think the ref was correct on this occasion.  It was not a VAR issue though.

If the VAR official is looking for a reason not to give a goal every time a goal is scored then it is plain daft.  Will he look for encroachment at every penalty now?

The ref seemed to be looking to VAR re his decision to book Lamela in case it should have been red...it seems to be being used for many things

Just now, Jeff said:

Could it not be used a long side a challenge system? Seems to work ok in the tennis

Once a team has used all their challenges just boot them off the park

Portable Badger
15 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Automatically reviewed when there's a goal as well.

For me VAR is a good thing - they need to change how it's used tho to be a bit more like how it's used in rugby. Huge screens, crowd can hear what the ref has questioned, can see the clips viewed by the VAR refs, can hear the logical reasoning of the decision made.  

VAR is a car crash, seems to completely remove any sense of self confidence and assurance in referees. 

You're a referee, you're job is to make decisions so make them. It's only meant to be used in 'emergencies' where you're not sure etc not at every possible opportunity.

1 hour ago, Gilbert’s Fridge said:

Whilst it will probably end up 5-1 to Spurs I'm loving the VAR & controversial frustrations being generated tonight :greggy:

Hope you backed that prediction.

Portable Badger
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

Hope you backed that prediction.

If I ever did it would never come true - why I don't bet

Archived