What's the best way to book train tickets in advance?

Mr Sifter

Hoping the well travelled Kickbackers can help. I'm looking for two return tickets from Edinburgh to Newcastle in June and again in July, this time Edinburgh to Glasgow. How should I buy them?

Genuinely not bought train tickets for years, so any advice is appreciated. Cheers??

6 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

I use the Trainline. Edinburgh to Newcastle should be cheap as chips because you’re not travelling for a while. Virgin trains are a lot nicer. 

Perfect BB. does the trainline app cover all services (i.e. virgin and scot rail?). Cheers. 

Prices are going up again soon.

Trains are a complete overpriced joke unless you can book far enough in advance.

20 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Hoping the well travelled Kickbackers can help. I'm looking for two return tickets from Edinburgh to Newcastle in June and again in July, this time Edinburgh to Glasgow. How should I buy them?

Genuinely not bought train tickets for years, so any advice is appreciated. Cheers??

Are you travelling to and from Glasgow on same day? If so Scotrail do off peak day return that can be bought in advance or on train on the day. Im sure off peak is after 9.30am departure weekdays or anytime at weekends. Just go to their website and select buy tickets option. That will give you options on your specific dates

13 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Are you travelling to and from Glasgow on same day? If so Scotrail do off peak day return that can be bought in advance or on train on the day. Im sure off peak is after 9.30am departure weekdays or anytime at weekends. Just go to their website and select buy tickets option. That will give you options on your specific dates

Nah Billy. Through there on 10th July, back on 11th. Just the one night??

Advance tickets normally released 12 weeks before day of travel. Personally I would pop into your local station and do it that way. For Newcastle remember an advanced ticket is only valid for the train bought for. EGYPT if bought for 9am train then that is the train you must take, no other unless, that train is cancelled then you will be allowed to travel on the next. There are no advanced tickets for travel to Glasgow. A return ticket is only valid for the same day. There are no overnight returns valid between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Off peak travel between Edinburgh and Glasgow is valid thus. Monday-Friday between 09.15-16.30 and then 18.30 to last train which is 23.30. This is both directions. Off peak between Edinburgh and Glasgow is valid at anytime on a Saturday and Sunday and official public holidays in Scotland. Now if you are staying overnight in Glasgow then I suggest you by a return Dalmeny to Glasgow off peak. This allows you to catch a train at Haymarkethe for Glasgow. You can travel back the next day with this ticket. I humbly suggest going into the travel shop at Haymarket  where  the staff will put you right.

36 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Advance tickets normally released 12 weeks before day of travel. Personally I would pop into your local station and do it that way. For Newcastle remember an advanced ticket is only valid for the train bought for. EGYPT if bought for 9am train then that is the train you must take, no other unless, that train is cancelled then you will be allowed to travel on the next. There are no advanced tickets for travel to Glasgow. A return ticket is only valid for the same day. There are no overnight returns valid between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Off peak travel between Edinburgh and Glasgow is valid thus. Monday-Friday between 09.15-16.30 and then 18.30 to last train which is 23.30. This is both directions. Off peak between Edinburgh and Glasgow is valid at anytime on a Saturday and Sunday and official public holidays in Scotland. Now if you are staying overnight in Glasgow then I suggest you by a return Dalmeny to Glasgow off peak. This allows you to catch a train at Haymarkethe for Glasgow. You can travel back the next day with this ticket. I humbly suggest going into the travel shop at Haymarket  where  the staff will put you right.

Wow, what a brilliant comprehensive reply John. Cheers for that! I'm at my work just now but I'll definately take the time later to look into this. 

I KNEW I'd get the help I needed on here??

cheers for all the replies. Much appreciated ??????

9 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Wow, what a brilliant comprehensive reply John. Cheers for that! I'm at my work just now but I'll definately take the time later to look into this. 

I KNEW I'd get the help I needed on here??

cheers for all the replies. Much appreciated ??????

No problem. I work for Scotrail. I did 10 years in the Haymarket travel shop. Old and new station.

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

I use the Trainline. Edinburgh to Newcastle should be cheap as chips because you’re not travelling for a while. Virgin trains are a lot nicer. 

Don't use these guys, they'll charge a booking fee. Book the same tickets via any train companies own website and don't put pay a fee.

I went into Waverley to get our tickets for a trip to London ,2adults ,1child fare £141 return total price , for some reason it was £30 dearer on Trainline.

2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

I went into Waverley to get our tickets for a trip to London ,2adults ,1child fare £141 return total price , for some reason it was £30 dearer on Trainline.

A fine example of how bonkers train prices are, I paid more than that just for myself a few weeks ago for a one day return to London. 

I travel to a few away games by train with the kids. Cannot fault their prices and service at all.

For Ibrox an open Glasgow return is about £15 for me and 3 kids ?

14 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

For the Edinburgh to Newcastle use the site below, no need to use any other service. Crosscountry are poor so try to book a virgin train plus you’ll get free Wi-fi codes when booking direct. 

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/

On 15/02/2018 at 08:13, John Findlay said:

Good advice but it will save him nearly a fiver more if he gets his return to glasgow made out from eskbsnk and not dalmeny 

3 hours ago, theshed said:

Good advice but it will save him nearly a fiver more if he gets his return to glasgow made out from eskbsnk and not dalmeny 

This, but if you're leaving from Dunbar.

Get the train to Partick.

mental eh!

The Real Maroonblood
On 15 February 2018 at 07:38, Van Wilder said:

Prices are going up again soon.

Trains are a complete overpriced joke unless you can book far enough in advance.

Probably overpriced to pay for the lucrative wages that the staff earn.

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:jj:

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You must be a Sun reader :laugh:

3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Don't moan. Come and join us.

Archived