Weiss told to decide

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football-news/scottish-football/spl-football/hearts-fc/2008/06/20/vladimir-weiss-told-to-make-decision-over-hearts-job-86908-20614518/

Vladimir Weiss told to make decision over Hearts job

Jun 20 2008 By Gary Ralston

VLADIMIR WEISS has been told to come clean on his future by Artmedia Bratislava.

The man Hearts want as manager will hold discussions with the Slovakian FA about becoming their next head coach before he decides his next move.

Weiss, 43, has already tested the patience of Jambos owner Vladimir Romanov, who insists he will not wait forever.

Hearts players return to training next week and Romanov is understood to have identified other targets.

Artmedia spokesman Charlie Singhosser said: "Vladimir Weiss will speak with the federation on Monday and then there will be a decision."

Weiss is favourite to replace outgoing Slovakia boss Jan Kocian.

Artmedia general manager Petr Kaspar said: "Everyone who knows football accepts Weiss is the best of all Slovakian coaches for the position of national coach.

"However, it still isn't decided where Weiss will work next year. Our season starts soon so we'd like to know his position as soon as possible, maybe by the start of next week. We would like to know if we have to look for a new coach."

When asked if Romanov's hopes of luring Weiss had gone, Kaspar refused to be drawn.

He said: "The decision on any new job, whether it be in Slovakia or abroad, rests only in the hands of Vladimir Weiss. No one from Artmedia Bratislava will answer these questions."

Jam Tarts 1874

The Daily Record had taken this from a Slovakian news outlet report from yesterday afternoon, I actually tried to translate it myself yesterday but got fed up an just posted the link for anyone else to try if they could be bothered.

I also found another interesting snippet from a Russian outlet dated 3.6.08. I will try and find it again. In it Weiss says he would like to try Russia again. He says that although winning the league and cup double was hunky dory, he expected Artmedia to do more to provide a platform for a proper challenge in Europe.

So it seems he was being a bit flakey anyway and already knew he wanted away from Artmedia, I wonder if his "come and get me" in the Russian media is what attracted Romanov and his pals?

Dr. Bapswent
The Daily Record had taken this from a Slovakian news outlet report from yesterday afternoon, I actually tried to translate it myself yesterday but got fed up an just posted the link for anyone else to try if they could be bothered.

I also found another interesting snippet from a Russian outlet dated 3.6.08. I will try and find it again. In it Weiss says he would like to try Russia again. He says that although winning the league and cup double was hunky dory, he expected Artmedia to do more to provide a platform for a proper challenge in Europe.

So it seems he was being a bit flakey anyway and already knew he wanted away from Artmedia, I wonder if his "come and get me" in the Russian media is what attracted Romanov and his pals?

It does suggest that if he is 'unsure' about the Hearts job, or if it is not the preferred option, that he wont be coming.

Basically, if the Hearts job was his first option, he could have said yes and be in the job by now. He hasn't.

he must of looked at romanov and thought, this man has no AMBITION or PRIDE, how could i work for this man.

PresidentRomanov
he must of looked at romanov and thought, this man has no AMBITION or PRIDE, how could i work for this man.

That's what must have happened then :blah:

200milesfromgorgie
It does suggest that if he is 'unsure' about the Hearts job, or if it is not the preferred option, that he wont be coming.

Basically, if the Hearts job was his first option, he could have said yes and be in the job by now. He hasn't.

I'm not sure its that simple. Relocating family and a big change in life could be making him take stock before he makes the leap.

Dr. Bapswent

I dont really see how you can come to that specific conclusion.

The way I see it, one of the following is most likely.

We have been unlucky with the managers we have targeted. But this can be considered as a positive, in that we are looking at mangers that others are interested in, therefore managers who have ability and thats a good thing.

But, we have been unlucky that both these manager have had rather attractive alternative offers dangled in front of them. For example, MM, although we dont know the full story, MM clearly has his reasons. MM himself has been positive in his comments about Hearts, which he didnt need to do, so I dont think we can solely put his rejection down to the club screwing around with him.

With Weiss, the attraction of the national job is also clearly going to have a strong pull. Again, that aspect of it really isnt Hearts doing and they cant be blamed for that.

The only issue is whether there are other 'control' issues that have also prevented these managers coming.

With MM, if this was a reason for him not coming to the club, I see no reason for him not to say something about it. He has no reason to keep quiet. But has only said positive things.

Weiss is less clear, but it seems he is keeping options open to him. Which suggests that the Hearts job is not his priority as if it was, he would not be waiting to hear from the Slovakian FA.

So there are reasons why these decisions could have been made without the control issue playing a part. However, once again, the problem is that we dont know, and wont know unless someone speaks.

What is clear, that the search for a manager is taking longer than Stringfellow Hawk took to find his long lost brother and the proposed candidates are not filling any fans with confidence. Without knowing anything, the fans will continue to be frustrated unhappy and will be more likely to come to the conclusion that Vlad is not getting a manager either because he doesn't want to get one, or wont give them full control. Although neither of those options sit totally comfortably with me, its hard to believe anythign else at the moment.

Dr. Bapswent
I'm not sure its that simple. Relocating family and a big change in life could be making him take stock before he makes the leap.

Of course yes, but as a football manager, it comes with the territory. But if thats also the case, i guess only Weiss can be blamed for that.

That's what must have happened then :blah:

you obviously are still being taken in by romanov and are verging on being a romanov groopie.

very sad.

where's your pride man.

Jam Tarts 1874

Hmmm, appointing Burley - no ambition?

Offering McGhee ?350k salary - no ambition?

All the players bought to the club 3 years ago - no ambition?

Tynecastle redevelopment - no ambition?

I don't understand your argument. :confused:

Geoff Kilpatrick

You can question his ambition but half the problem is that he has too much pride...in himself! It's why he can't admit to being wrong.

Guest GhostHunter
you obviously are still being taken in by romanov and are verging on being a romanov groopie.

very sad.

where's your pride man.

Just back from holiday and catching up with the state of affairs....

My reading, and from what I had sent to me - neither Weiss or McGhee's "backtracking" etc can be blamed on VR.

Weiss used Hearts as getting what he wanted - which ultimately looks to be the Slovak National job.

McGhee, well, McGhee is McGhee and obviously had his motives for stabbing us in the back.

How either of these failings can be attributed to VR, is astonishing, especially when you discover the sort of money Hearts were offering to BOTH candidates.

Hmmm, appointing Burley - no ambition?...

Hmmmm.

IIRC, Burley wasn't a VR appointment, although he was consulted about it.

Does sacking Burley show ambition though?

londonjambo

My reading, and from what I had sent to me - neither Weiss or McGhee's "backtracking" etc can be blamed on VR.

Weiss used Hearts as getting what he wanted - which ultimately looks to be the Slovak National job.

McGhee, well, McGhee is McGhee and obviously had his motives for stabbing us in the back.

How either of these failings can be attributed to VR, is astonishing, especially when you discover the sort of money Hearts were offering to BOTH candidates.

Agree with this absolutely. It would have to be one hell of a conspiracy theory to say that VR is not really looking for a manager as has been suggested on other threads.

Isnt it just possible also that it is the other way around - Weiss is going to the Slovakian FA and saying "Can you match the salary HMFC are offering". If they say they cant, it might still happen .... as we are well aware, in football these days, nothing matters except money.

GC

....How either of these failings can be attributed to VR, is astonishing, especially when you discover the sort of money Hearts were offering to BOTH candidates.

The money part is interesting.

What possible reasons could both these candidiates have for turning down the kind of money that was offerred to both of them?

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the way VR runs the club.. could it?

Guest JamboRobbo

But Dex, you've said yourself, we're offering crazy money.

So why are we offering crazy money, yet being unable to seal the deal?

Do you think there would be any other time in HMFC's history where we could've offered the Motherwell manager 6 times his salary, and he would turn HMFC down to stay at Motherwell?

Why would managers rather use HMFC to get a better deal at their own club, than actually take up a deal with HMFC?

I'll leave you to work it out for yourself, but the answer is pretty obvious IMO.

siegementality

IIRC applications were sought for the post of Hearts manager and the Hearts board said they were disappointed in the quality of candidate. The poor quality of candidate applying is entirely down to Romanov, as said previously no-one in their right mind would work for him given the conditions he puts on their employment. Not even offering two people ?350K a year is not enough to tempt them.

People should be jumping through hoops to get the Hearts managers job, they're not. Two managers tried for, both attempts look to have failed. So it's not Romanov to blame for making the Hearts job a poisoned chalice, it's MM and VW for using Hearts to engineer better deals/jobs. Aye fecking right!!!

Guest JamboRobbo

Now, I'm not necessarly blaming Vlad for not getting McGee or Weiss, if that happens. However, I am blaming him for the situation he has created where a manager see's staying at Motherwell as a better, despite huge cash incentives.

I am blaming him for not having a manager for 2 years. His actions in the past have created this situation, no one elses.

YouHitTheNailOnTheHead.JPG

Geoff Kilpatrick

There's another angle to this. Romanov stands guilty from his lies about non-interference. What's to say that part of the conversation for these guys has been along the lines of,

"Do I get to pick the team without any interference?"

"Yes!"

"Can I have that as a clause in my contract?"

"Do you not trust me?"

"I'd prefer it in writing all the same."

"I demand loyalty and trust from my staff. It's clear you don't trust me. Thank you for your time. You may leave".

Let's stop skirting around the real reasons.

Nobody is taking the Hearts job just now because the hole that VR has dug for himself is now so far reaching that even obscure Eastern Europeans are baulking at the idea of managing us.

People talk. Obviously the talk pertaining to VR is not of a healthy nature.

Perhaps also a reason that talks may be stalling with candidates is that not all the conditions required from prospective managers are being met by the regime?

siegementality
Agree with this absolutely. It would have to be one hell of a conspiracy theory to say that VR is not really looking for a manager as has been suggested on other threads.

Isnt it just possible also that it is the other way around - Weiss is going to the Slovakian FA and saying "Can you match the salary HMFC are offering". If they say they cant, it might still happen .... as we are well aware, in football these days, nothing matters except money.

GC

I don't believe for a minute Romanov is not looking for a manager, he just can't get one and I wonder why!.

Think about it FFS. Romanov sacks a man who has Hearts flying at the top of the leauge after just 10 or so weeks, stating he was killing the club. He thereafter employs and promptly sacks numerous other "managers", whilst meddling in team affairs. Hardly an attractive post.

You reap what you sow and Romanov sowed sheite.

Dr. Bapswent
There's another angle to this. Romanov stands guilty from his lies about non-interference. What's to say that part of the conversation for these guys has been along the lines of,

"Yes!"

"Do you not trust me?"

"I demand loyalty and trust from my staff. It's clear you don't trust me. Thank you for your time. You may leave".

The reason I dont but into this fully is that Vlad is clearly making everyone else sign water tight contracts, and therefore should be more likely to understand the need for them than anyone.

This admission also states h e knows what he is doing, and therefore can eventually see that its where he is going wrong.

Guest JamboRobbo

"Yes!"

"Do you not trust me?"

A possibility, but it would appear that we offered the job to Both McGhee and Weiss. So doesn't seem to be what is happening?

Cut The Crap

What's astonishing is how anyone with an awareness of the bigger picture at Hearts can absolve VR from blame for the current fiasco.

Dr. Bapswent
What's astonishing is how anyone with an awareness of the bigger picture at Hearts can absolve VR from blame for the current fiasco.

What are you on about?

No-one is absolving any blame, just sensibly attributing blame where it is due and not unnecessarily.

To do otherwise would be ignorant and reactionary.

Guest JamboRobbo
What are you on about?

No-one is absolving any blame

Really?

My reading' date=' and from what I had sent to me - [b']neither Weiss or McGhee's "backtracking" etc can be blamed on VR.[/b]

How either of these failings can be attributed to VR, is astonishing,

Still think no-one is trying to absolve VR of blame?

Cut The Crap
What are you on about?

No-one is absolving any blame, just sensibly attributing blame where it is due and not unnecessarily.

To do otherwise would be ignorant and reactionary.

I was responding to Dexter's post, where he says that VR is not to blame for either McGhee's or Weiss's backtracking.

I disagree.

Hope that's clear now.

200milesfromgorgie
Of course yes, but as a football manager, it comes with the territory. But if thats also the case, i guess only Weiss can be blamed for that.

agree.

What an absolute crock of ****. You should be a reporter for either the Evening Hibby or the Daily Hun - they're good at making up **** with nothing to substantiate it either.

Dr. Bapswent
I was responding to Dexter's post, where he says that VR is not to blame for either McGhee's or Weiss's backtracking.

I disagree.

Hope that's clear now.

Its clear.

But I think its wrong.

I fail to see how Vlad forced MM to backtrack...he may not have given him what he wanted....but it was MM decision and his alone in deciding to go with Motherwell.

As for Weiss, same is true, Vlad has not talked about offering him the National position, again, he may not have given him what he demanded, but he is not to blame for Weiss holding out for other offers.

I get the point about its Vlad's fault if he turned us down over control issues etc. But thats entirely different from the unassociated factors of Motherwell and Slovakias involvement.

To role it all into one thing is a simplified view and one that many on here are far to quick to take because it suits their model of how things are.

monkfish1979
why are we offering crazy money, yet being unable to seal the deal?

IMO, we're offering a load of money to managers that are after something bigger than us. McGhee's blatantly after the Sellick job and knows fine well that there's a much higher chance of him getting sacked and left with a very low profile if he's working for Vlad. Also, it's quite obvious that Boyle wants in his pants and so will pay him whatever he wants.:eek:

Weiss has used the media to put himself into a position whereby he thinks that he can get away from/get more money from Artmedia whether or not he gets the job he really wants.

Generally if you go for people that are in demand, these things happen. In a way, it's quite good news that Vlad's willing to go in for these guys.

Guest JamboRobbo

As for Weiss, same is true, Vlad has not talked about offering him the National position, again, he may not have given him what he demanded, but he is not to blame for Weiss holding out for other offers.

Not that anyone is absolving Vlad of any blame of course......

Guest JamboRobbo
blind-girls.jpg

Apologies I didn't realise you were blind. That does explain why you seem unable to see the words written in front of you, such as "Vlad it not to blame", "I don't see how anyone can blame Vlad" etc etc.

Cut The Crap
Its clear.

But I think its wrong.

I fail to see how Vlad forced MM to backtrack...he may not have given him what he wanted....but it was MM decision and his alone in deciding to go with Motherwell.

I get the point about its Vlad's fault if he turned us down over control issues etc. But thats entirely different from the unassociated factors of Motherwell and Slovakias involvement.

To role it all into one thing is a simplified view and one that many on here are far to quick to take because it suits their model of how things are.

I disagree.

VR has single-handedly created a culture and environment where being manager of Motherwell is a more attractive proposition than being manager of Hearts (at five times the salary).

He alone is the root cause of all our current problems, and he is the only person who benefits whenever we lose sight of that.

I'm someone who blames Romaknob entirely for the problems we now have, nobody else has any power at HMFC so the buck stops with him. However if I am wrong, even just to the extent of not agreeing he did everything he could to capture MM (personally I don't think he thought it was important enough) I think it shows that as a club we will now never recover under his regime.

He has allienated so many people and there is a total mistrust of everything and anything that happens. We are left scraping about looking for desperados, Eastern European's and pyramid men and this as we approach our 3rd season without an appropriate manager. The communication is an absolute disgrace and the treatment of the fans amongst the worst anywhere.

He was welcomed into our club as a hero and a saviour and had an opportunity to do something very special. He has failed spectacularly and will in my opinion take us close to the brink again unless he can find someone willing to pay him the money he wants as an exit strategy.

Guest GhostHunter
I disagree.

VR has single-handedly created a culture and environment where being manager of Motherwell is a more attractive proposition than being manager of Hearts (at five times the salary).

He alone is the root cause of all our current problems, and he is the only person who benefits whenever we lose sight of that.

So what's stopping MM coming out and saying, "I aint working for that madman likes" ?

Instead of, "Hearts are a big club, and it would have been an honour to manage them" (paraphrased)

Guest JamboRobbo
So what's stopping MM coming out and saying, "I aint working for that madman likes" ?

Instead of, "Hearts are a big club, and it would have been an honour to manage them" (paraphrased)

An ability to behave in a dignified manner. Something Vlad could do with learning about.

I see you are ignoring the point that Vlad has created the position where the manager of Motherwell turns us down......

Geoff Kilpatrick

It's called 'diplomacy'.

In all honesty, I think McGhee was impressed with what he heard but knew it would be a lot of unnecessary hassle. He decided he didn't need it.

Dr. Bapswent
I disagree.

I agree with your sentiment, but I think the situation is not as simple as that. There are no doubt many factors, money, control and the current culture at Hearts being 3 huge ones of course. But there are no doubt others that would have an influence on the decision, and i don't see how Vlad can be blamed for them all.

Guest GhostHunter
An ability to behave in a dignified manner. Something Vlad could do with learning about.

I see you are ignoring the point that Vlad has created the position where the manager of Motherwell turns us down......

Must have missed that quote in the press, or indeed, any inference that VR is/was to blame for MM turning us down.

Too many Cerveza's I tell ya.

Guest JamboRobbo
Must have missed that quote in the press, or indeed, any inference that VR is/was to blame for MM turning us down.

Too many Cerveza's I tell ya.

I give up. :o

Clearly your deliberately choosing to ignore a pretty obvious point. Why, I'll never understand.

The fact that would achieve nothing. There is a every chance Mcghee will go on to manage a bigger club than Motherwell and very probably Hearts so the last thing he is going to do is come across as a trouble maker or loud mouth spouting of confidential information in the press. I hardly think prospective chairman/owners would appreciate that particular behaviour.

I'm quite surprised you actually think Romanov has changed, have you got sun stroke ?

Toxteth O'Grady
So you are not in the know then? When is Hleb coming? ;)

Just seen him coming out of the Balmoral with McFadden:)

Guest GhostHunter
The fact that would achieve nothing. There is a every chance Mcghee will go on to manage a bigger club than Motherwell and very probably Hearts so the last thing he is going to do is come across as a trouble maker or loud mouth spouting of confidential information in the press. I hardly think prospective chairman/owners would appreciate that particular behaviour.

I'm quite surprised you actually think Romanov has changed, have you got sun stroke ?

Hehe.

Walter Kidd
Just seen him coming out of the Balmoral with McFadden:)

Mendy and O'Connor were carrying his boots mate.:wacko:

New season syndrome, I suspect. It used to be we're going to challenge or win something now this season. That was our aspiration and hopes for the season.

Whereas now our hope and aspiration for the season is that Vlad has changed and will employ a manager and let them pick the team.

Fecking tragic.

That is so true. The excitement of the fixture list being announced, the new players in, watching the pre season games seeing how the team was shaping up and predicting who would step up for the new campaign, the first league match and the fresh start of everyone on zero pts, the league cup draw and maybe even a European game or two and the first derby.

But for now, it's all tarnished, we are a laughing stock. We are about to enter a 3rd consecutive season without an appropriate manager, all we hear about is players who are leaving or want to leave and the only positive is that at least expectations are at an all time low.

IMO, we're offering a load of money to managers that are after something bigger than us. McGhee's blatantly after the Sellick job and knows fine well that there's a much higher chance of him getting sacked and left with a very low profile if he's working for Vlad. Also, it's quite obvious that Boyle wants in his pants and so will pay him whatever he wants.:eek:

:rofl:

Archived