Shoot! Magazine closed down

Goldstone Wonder

Goldstone Wonder

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/06/17/shoot_closed_down_what_next_th.html

That's part of my childhood they're getting rid of! League Ladders, miscellaneous likes/dislikes, favourite pre-match meals, You are the Ref, all no more.

Anyone else got any fond memories of this mag?

Used to love seeing the Scottish team photos cos they would have the home and away strips alternating in the club photo. They always looked a lot more exotic than boring English teams like Mansfield Town or Orient.

I read it when i was much younger but didn't take me long to realise I got alot more for my money buying Calcio magazine, I was a tight fisted wee b*gger :)

Say What Again
That's part of my childhood they're getting rid of! League Ladders, miscellaneous likes/dislikes, favourite pre-match meals, You are the Ref, all no more.

I saw the news on popbitch earlier.

When I saw your thread I was going to reminisce about league ladders too.

20050810league_ladders.jpg

My Uncle used to buy me it every week (along with the Eagle) and the annual every year.

I remember a cardboard cut-out Kerry Dixon I got from Shoot. It had a flap you folded over underneath which made it 'stand'. I used to have on a desk in my room. Every time I walked past it the breeze knocked it over but I thought it was ace.

The cut-out was similar to this

DIXON_Kerry_1984_GH_L.jpg

Jam Tarts 1874

It is a shame to see it go. I don't have any sons, but if I did I would have been making sure they read it.

I suppose that the demise of Shoot! is a sad reflection on what kids do now as opposed to what other generations did with their time. No wonder they are all fatties!

I P Knightley

I remember a cardboard cut-out Kerry Dixon I got from Shoot. It had a flap you folded over underneath which made it 'stand'. I used to have on a desk in my room. Every time I walked past it the breeze knocked it over but I thought it was ace.

You kept THIS on your desk? Did you not have a responsible adult telling you that it doesn't exactly scream "Man" at me.

As for the demise of Shoot - I wasn't a very regular reader but used to enjoy most of the features.

"Meet the players" was a favourite that in later years I incorporated into internal staff newsletters so that new staff could learn a thing or two about their managers & directors. Great fun but I suppose I should really have asked those directors the questions themselves rather than making up all the answers myself...

Times change. Kids have web access to most of the stuff we used to read in Shoot. It's a shame that they don't have the fun of waiting until the next issue comes out and the excitement of belting down the shop to buy it.

Goldstone Wonder

The league ladders in Shoot! were one of the best bits of late summer. I used to do them religiously until about the last week in September when the cardboard would start wearing down and the team names would fall apart.

Happy days.

Loved that Kerry Dixon Chelsea strip from the days when the height of their ambitions was a crack at the Simod Cup.

Goldstone Wonder

"Meet the players" was a favourite that in later years I incorporated into internal staff newsletters so that new staff could learn a thing or two about their managers & directors. Great fun but I suppose I should really have asked those directors the questions themselves rather than making up all the answers myself...

There were about half a dozen questions which almost always got the same answers:

Favourite Pre-Match Meal: Steak & Chips

Biggest Influenc on careers: My Dad

Who would you most like to meet: The Queen/the Pope (one for each half of the OF)

Professional Ambition: to win things

Personal Ambition: to be happy.

Jam Tarts 1874
There were about half a dozen questions which almost always got the same answers:

Who would you most like to meet: The Queen/the Pope (one for each half of the OF)

Same answers in all the Hearts' programmes from the 70's too, along with favourite pop band: Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, The Who (and Led Zep for the cool guys.)

I P Knightley

That's the very one.

Hobbies/Interests outside football: Golf. (when we all know that the real answer was "Alcohol abuse, marital infidelity and wife-beating"

They never asked, 'What's your favourite drink?' did they? Cinzano.

Say What Again
You kept THIS on your desk? Did you not have a responsible adult telling you that it doesn't exactly scream "Man" at me.

To be fair Ivan, I was only about 9 at the time. I don't imagine playing with lego men or Star Wars figures while wearing my Superman pajamas was screaming 'Man' at anyone either! ;)

I'd buy Tiger and Scoop, my mate bought Roy Of The Rovers and Shoot, and we'd sit on his bed covered in mud and snotters with a 10p mixture each and read them all. Them was the days.

steviefrailspants

I seem to remember the Jimmy Greaves letters page where the most ridiculous letter was given "Wally of the Week" status.

There was also a similar magazine by the name of Match! although I always preferred Shoot.

Always used to get a Shoot annual at Christmas which was a good read.

To be fair they did always cover Scottish football fairly well, compared to magazines like 4-4-2 nowadays

Say What Again
I seem to remember the Jimmy Greaves letters page where the most ridiculous letter was given "Wally of the Week" status.

Well remembered! :)

Used to get Shoot!, Match and Roy of the Rovers ordered in advance from the newsagent. I used to get the wee football monthly comics as well. There were army monthly comics as well if you were into that sort of thing. Didn't realise Shoot! was still on the go, it doesn't surprise me that it's on the way out what with the Internet and 24 hour sports channels giving you up to the minute football news.

Goldstone Wonder
Anyone else like Match a lot better?!?

Showing your youth there I think. Match didn't exist in my heyday. There was Shoot and Goal until about '75. then Shoot incorporating Goal. Match came after I had discovered the joys of onanism.

Say What Again
This was suprised me at the time...

RANGERS!!!!

Biggest Disappointment: Failing to reach the Skol Cup final.

Little did you know at that time what else was in store for you mate. :sad:

Say What Again
Is Hot Shot Hamish out of contract then or was he in Roy of the Rovers?

He was.

Tiger and then Roy of the Rovers

I P Knightley
To be fair Ivan, I was only about 9 at the time. I don't imagine playing with lego men or Star Wars figures while wearing my Superman pajamas was screaming 'Man' at anyone either! ;)

too right. nor would having a Starsky and Hutch poster on your bedroom wall.

erm, just to have pulled a..er...completely random example from thin air... characters and scenes depicted in the foregoing analogy are entirely fictional and any resemblance to true wotsits is entirely coincidental...

What happens on JKB stays on JKB ;)

I blame the parents.

I was more of a Match man myself. The league tables was amazing. You would get half the teams one week then wait until the following week to get the rest of them. Is Match still going?

RockyBalboa
Showing your youth there I think. Match didn't exist in my heyday. There was Shoot and Goal until about '75. then Shoot incorporating Goal. Match came after I had discovered the joys of onanism.

Sound :cool:

Biggest Disappointment: Failing to reach the Skol Cup final.

Little did you know at that time what else was in store for you mate. :sad:

Yup. I think his answers would be a wee bit different if asked nowadays.

I saw the news on popbitch earlier.

When I saw your thread I was going to reminisce about league ladders too.

20050810league_ladders.jpg

My Uncle used to buy me it every week (along with the Eagle) and the annual every year.

JoH Looking at the cardboard chart frightens me.I can remember updating my chart every week even English League Div 4.Must be 40 odd years ago. What I do remember is that Scottish players were given a token spot each week , nothing substantial, usually the same as the European slot (which wasn't a lot). It was better than Match or Goal. As for the Eagle, not even close to the Valiant or the one which had a war story on the front which continued on the back (Victor?)

Is Hot Shot Hamish out of contract then or was he in Roy of the Rovers?

he is in the sunday mail magazine every week !!!!!!:rolleyes:

Carl Spackler
he is in the sunday mail magazine every week !!!!!!:rolleyes:

That's the huns' best signing since Laudrup.

Guest Tynie Bubbles
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/06/17/shoot_closed_down_what_next_th.html

Used to love seeing the Scottish team photos cos they would have the home and away strips alternating in the club photo. They always looked a lot more exotic than boring English teams like Mansfield Town or Orient.

I can't believe anybody would ever consider Mansfield Town to be anything other than exotic ;)

If I'm not mistaken, the original Scottish football column was Tartan Talk.

One week it was written by John Greig, the next by Danny McGrain.

I've still got tons of these magazines in the attic at my parents' house. One day, I'll get round to looking through them.

Hearts and Stoke posters will be missing, that's for sure.

Guest S.U.S.S.

A sad day, really puts things invperspective.

Why are the good stopped so young.

yada yada yada.

Archived