Were You There?

maroonlegions

Fxxx the SPFL

Definitely the best weekend of my life born in 1957 so too young to remember the trophies won after that went to the 68 final with my late auld man God rest his soul he was a hibby and my younger brother so 98 was the best out of the three anybody remember the parade just before the traffic lights at Ardmillan some arsehole hibby hanging out the third floor tenement shouting abuse. Will take all those memories to my grave. Also the 98 final had the wife son and daughter at the final and the parade happy days.

letsalldothebeattie

I was there little whipper snapper at 9 years old at the time. Sadly we couldn’t get tickets for the final but my dad bundled us in the car right after the celebrations at Parkhead to get up for the team arriving back and then for the parade as well. What a couple days that was 

I was at the game. Other than the days my kids were born, it was the best day of my life. After the previous disappointments,  I never thought I’d see Hearts win a trophy. 5-1 was great but the only thing that would top 1998 would be winning the league. 

Didn’t make the parade as I was too hungover. Played a gig with the band I was in that Sunday night - played being a pretty loose term. Half the band were Hearts and half H1B5 so at least we were semi-competent!

Borders Jambo

The game for me is a blur, albeit a v long blur after they got their consolation.

I remember on the bus back being cheered by Celtic fans traveling out of Glasgow, the firemen at Sighthill, hugging complete strangers, Gorgie being like a mass carnival area and this surreal feeling of not knowing how to celebrate in case it all evaporated.

One of the best weekends of my life and I hope we get another chance to celebrate soon.

Greatest weekend of my life. 

Spent most of my life waiting for silverware. Had actually reconcilled myself to never seeing us lift silverware, such was the Old Firm's grip on the game. 

Bus never showed up, and had to drive through -literally didn't know what to do when we realised that we'd actually won a trophy. 

It was a roasting hot weekend for May, just perfect. 

MacDonald Jardine
18 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

:spoton:

I very much doubt anyone in our lifetime will ever experience anything better than that.

I always remember that split second at full time just being so surreal and not quite knowing what to do until the realisation of what just happened suddenly hit me.

Absolutely. 

been here before

Every gamut of emotion was laid bare that afternoon. The delight and disbelief of the early goal. The nervousness of making it til half-time and just willing the game to be over. Adam making it two.. **** hell what did that feel like... nails bitten down to the elbow. The gut wrenching moment Rangers got a goal back. Couldnt watch the last few minutes, couldnt not watch the last few minutes.

The whistle goes, theres a split second as it hits home.. we've done it and its wild. Strangers, pals, randoms hugging and kissing, grown men and old men in tears and snotters, disbelief and the occasional thought of those pals and family who never managed to see this.

The cup presentation, Robbo and realising it was all real. The journey back singing, dancing with minutes of a dumbfounded silence just trying to take in what had happened. Arriving back into Edinburgh and seeing people on the streets just celebrating and cheering the returning coaches supporters coaches like we were all conquering heroes. Back to Gorgie where it was just mental, like VE day I suppose. Team coming back on the roof of the coach along Gorgie Road- just a day and a weekend of memories.

The one thing though that I'll remember till my dying day, when for some reason I really lost it and even now still gets me a bit teary and emotional was the fireman outside the station on the Calder Road. Engines out, lights flashing, jumping, waving and cheering on top of their fire engines as our coach and probably every other went by.

Its ver briefly in Neil Pointons video of the day. I occasionally watch it and well up again!

We were a mini bus full of Jambos from Lanark/Carstairs and  didn't plan any celebrations(cos we'd never had any )  , we paid the bus driver extra to take us back to Edinburgh . Absolutely amazing scenes as the coop had no drink left !!!

Proud to be on Pointons video down by Tynie that night

and getting applauded by the firefighters at Sighthill as if we had played a part

Konrad von Carstein

Our bus took a wrong turn (I presume) in Glasgow into an orange walk type gathering..."clap and smile lads, clap and smile"  was the shout as the local were not too chuffed to see us...Wheatsheaf that night was the best night I've had and the Sunday is just a big blur...tears were spilled over that weekend....big manly tears...

Edit: coming along the Calder Road..firemen and locals applauding the buses...was like a returning war hero*...

*not really before the pc police loup in

5 minutes ago, been here before said:

Every gamut of emotion was laid bare that afternoon. The delight and disbelief of the early goal. The nervousness of making it til half-time and just willing the game to be over. Adam making it two.. **** hell what did that feel like... nails bitten down to the elbow. The gut wrenching moment Rangers got a goal back. Couldnt watch the last few minutes, couldnt not watch the last few minutes.

The whistle goes, theres a split second as it hits home.. we've done it and its wild. Strangers, pals, randoms hugging and kissing, grown men and old men in tears and snotters, disbelief and the occasional thought of those pals and family who never managed to see this.

The cup presentation, Robbo and realising it was all real. The journey back singing, dancing with minutes of a dumbfounded silence just trying to take in what had happened. Arriving back into Edinburgh and seeing people on the streets just celebrating and cheering the returning coaches supporters coaches like we were all conquering heroes. Back to Gorgie where it was just mental, like VE day I suppose. Team coming back on the roof of the coach along Gorgie Road- just a day and a weekend of memories.

The one thing though that I'll remember till my dying day, when for some reason I really lost it and even now still gets me a bit teary and emotional was the fireman outside the station on the Calder Road. Engines out, lights flashing, jumping, waving and cheering on top of their fire engines as our coach and probably every other went by.

Its ver briefly in Neil Pointons video of the day. I occasionally watch it and well up again!

That moment when McCoist went down on the edge of the penalty area and we though Willie Young had awarded a penalty.

I aged about 15 years in that final 9 minutes.

5 minutes ago, been here before said:

spot on mate

Absolutely brilliant. I'm off that certain age and thought like others that I would never see us winning anything. Listened on the radio to us winning the League Cup in '62 and then saw final defeat after defeat from '68. However, 2012 is my favourite. Apart from beating them 2-1 in 'the cup in '66 I remember the many years until '83 when we really had a torrid time against them. If we'd lost against Rangers in '98 I would have been gutted but nowhere near the levels of utter despair I would have felt if we'd lost in 2012. To win that game and for it to be 5-1 was unbelievable. Beyond my wildest dreams and my (personal) greatest memory ever of following the Hearts 

Konrad von Carstein

Had the pleasure of meeting Willie Young at a works event and cheekily asked him about the added on time, he laughed and told how he said to JJ "It's cos of Rousset, he's the one to blame" I'm sure he was humouring me but he came across well...

2 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

That moment when McCoist went down on the edge of the penalty area and we though Willie Young had awarded a penalty.

I aged about 15 years in that final 9 minutes.

My brother said about 6o secs before they scored that we'd done it. After they scored until the final I was going mad telling him he'd jinxed it.Then McCoist goes down and I thought we'd totally blown it. But no. No penalty (ours was a foul outside the box) and then followed the longest 9 mins (or was it 15) until the wild celebrations could begin 

1 minute ago, maroonsgotop said:

My brother said about 6o secs before they scored that we'd done it. After they scored until the final I was going mad telling him he'd jinxed it.Then McCoist goes down and I thought we'd totally blown it. But no. No penalty (ours was a foul outside the box) and then followed the longest 9 mins (or was it 15) until the wild celebrations could begin 

The McCoist incident was last minute.

1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

The McCoist incident was last minute.

ah the goal was 81 mins. auld age n all that. ha ha. cheers Ian

Just now, maroonsgotop said:

ah the goal was 81 mins. auld age n all that. ha ha. cheers Ian

Not a problem sir :thumb:

With hindsight the goal was better because it made the final whistle all the better.

1 hour ago, been here before said:

If you werent around in 98 there is no way you'll ever know what it was like. Words dont do it justice.

For any cup win to come close youd have to wait until about 2050 without seeing us lift it again.

Only winning the league would beat it.

For those of us of a 'certain vintage' who'd been there for the 7-0, followed the team during the yo-yo years and watched the, quite frankly, goddamned awful sides of the late 60s onwards it was a day we never thought we'd see. Thankfully we were wrong to think that. 

3 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Not a problem sir :thumb:

With hindsight the goal was better because it made the final whistle all the better.

longest 15 mins ever following the Hearts after that goal. was going mad at my brother for saying we'd won it on 80 mins

I was hiding behind my fingers and had my big brother screaming in my ear “ WATCH IT YOU, ******* WATCH...WE’VE ******* GOT THIS”

Big hug from him at the end with the smug “Telt ye we had it”

Magical, truly magical memories.

I am one of those who wasn't there. As I have stated I had started a new job within IBM with a hefty rise in my annual salary. So time off for thexample final was a no no. So I did a nightshift the Friday night went to bed Saturday morning. Getting up just before 2 to watch the game on Sky sports. My then wife told me she was taking our daughter and son swimming as the result was going to be the same as 2 years ago. To which I replied. No we are going to win the cup today. Anyway next door neighbour had got a couple of tree surgeons in to cutback her trees in her back garden.  Game kicks off and I am screaming at the telly and go mental at the award of a penalty to us. MIckey  scores and I am jumping all over the furniture making noise the street has never heard before. Half time and I calm down with a cup of coffee. Second half starts and I am shouting at the telly again. Adam scores and I am all over the furniture again making even more noise. McCoist scores. He is called every name under the sun. I'm sure the neighbours never realised I knew so many swear words. Then I'm pleading via the telly for Willie young to blow the whistle. My wife comes back from swimming with the kids and I refuse to let them in the house. Finally the final whistle goes and I am cheering and shouting yes yes yes we've done it. Wife let's herself in and my daughter aged 12 comes into the living room to see dad on hands and knees kissing the carpet in front of the telly. She shouts for her mum and brother to come and see. I don't care a jot. Wife says the two guys doing the tree surgery want to know if I am alright as all they have heard all afternoon is me screaming. The phone rings. It's my dad. He's in the Annfield bar Newhaven and it's bedlam. All he is saying is I told you, I told you we would do it in your lifetime. He's crying and that sets me off too. My daughter tells her mum I'm daft. This is confirmed when I give her a big kiss on her forehead.

Dad has gone off the phone. I start singing the Hearts song and won't stop. This annoys my wife but, I truly do not give a shite, I'm 35 years old and this was our 5th Scottish cup final in my lifetime. I had been there aged 5 in 1968, aged 13 in 1976, aged 23 in 1986, aged 33 in 1996 and finally aged 35 in 1998 and I wasn't there. I was totally gutted at not being there in person but we had finally won the feckers. I am sure my family thought I was the biggest pain in arse that weekend but, I genuinely didn't give a shite. We had finally won the cup and to me that was all that mattered. Away up in Gorgie at Tynecastle Park. Dad shut up. No I fecking won't and I didn't. 

39 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

Absolutely brilliant. I'm off that certain age and thought like others that I would never see us winning anything. Listened on the radio to us winning the League Cup in '62 and then saw final defeat after defeat from '68. However, 2012 is my favourite. Apart from beating them 2-1 in 'the cup in '66 I remember the many years until '83 when we really had a torrid time against them. If we'd lost against Rangers in '98 I would have been gutted but nowhere near the levels of utter despair I would have felt if we'd lost in 2012. To win that game and for it to be 5-1 was unbelievable. Beyond my wildest dreams and my (personal) greatest memory ever of following the Hearts 

This for me too. I understand fully.

17 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I am one of those who wasn't there. As I have stated I had started a new job within IBM with a hefty rise in my annual salary. So time off for thexample final was a no no. So I did a nightshift the Friday night went to bed Saturday morning. Getting up just before 2 to watch the game on Sky sports. My then wife told me she was taking our daughter and son swimming as the result was going to be the same as 2 years ago. To which I replied. No we are going to win the cup today. Anyway next door neighbour had got a couple of tree surgeons in to cutback her trees in her back garden.  Game kicks off and I am screaming at the telly and go mental at the award of a penalty to us. MIckey  scores and I am jumping all over the furniture making noise the street has never heard before. Half time and I calm down with a cup of coffee. Second half starts and I am shouting at the telly again. Adam scores and I am all over the furniture again making even more noise. McCoist scores. He is called every name under the sun. I'm sure the neighbours never realised I knew so many swear words. Then I'm pleading via the telly for Willie young to blow the whistle. My wife comes back from swimming with the kids and I refuse to let them in the house. Finally the final whistle goes and I am cheering and shouting yes yes yes we've done it. Wife let's herself in and my daughter aged 12 comes into the living room to see dad on hands and knees kissing the carpet in front of the telly. She shouts for her mum and brother to come and see. I don't care a jot. Wife says the two guys doing the tree surgery want to know if I am alright as all they have heard all afternoon is me screaming. The phone rings. It's my dad. He's in the Annfield bar Newhaven and it's bedlam. All he is saying is I told you, I told you we would do it in your lifetime. He's crying and that sets me off too. My daughter tells her mum I'm daft. This is confirmed when I give her a big kiss on her forehead.

Dad has gone off the phone. I start singing the Hearts song and won't stop. This annoys my wife but, I truly do not give a shite, I'm 35 years old and this was our 5th Scottish cup final in my lifetime. I had been there aged 5 in 1968, aged 13 in 1976, aged 23 in 1986, aged 33 in 1996 and finally aged 35 in 1998 and I wasn't there. I was totally gutted at not being there in person but we had finally won the feckers. I am sure my family thought I was the biggest pain in arse that weekend but, I genuinely didn't give a shite. We had finally won the cup and to me that was all that mattered. Away up in Gorgie at Tynecastle Park. Dad shut up. No I fecking won't and I didn't. 

After watching the goals and then reading that I’m welling up,enough said.

Still my greatest day supporting Hearts and I was only 10. Still the best Hearts side I've seen as well. 

The other two Scottish Cup wins were great too, as was the semi final against Hibs but that surpasses them. Probably because we were underdogs despite the season we had, probably because we hadn't won it in over 40 years and the disappointments of previous years gone by where we had come close to winning silverware in 96 and 97.

For the guys who weren't old enough to have watched Hearts in the 50's and early 60's but had watched us through the yoyo years, the 76 cup final, 1986, it was definitely one for them, for, Jim Jefferies, Gary Mackay and Robbo.

3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Still my greatest day supporting Hearts and I was only 10. Still the best Hearts side I've seen as well. 

The other two Scottish Cup wins were great too, as was the semi final against Hibs but that surpasses them. Probably because we were underdogs despite the season we had, probably because we hadn't won it in over 40 years and the disappointments of previous years gone by where we had come close to winning silverware in 96 and 97.

For the guys who weren't old enough to have watched Hearts in the 50's and early 60's but had watched us through the yoyo years, the 76 cup final, 1986, it was definitely one for them, for, Jim Jefferies, Gary Mackay and Robbo.

It really was a fantastic team. We could have took the league as well if it wasn’t for losing our form in the last month. 

It was an all round great weekend but the bus coming back on Saturday night was just unbelievable. Others have covered it so well but the party atmosphere and community spirit was magical. I was near the Arms and word had spread the bus was close....then word came through the players were on top of the bus. When the bus came into view Robbos legs were dangling off the front and Jim Hamilton was bouncing around right next to him. What incredible scenes in Gorgie that night!!!

l will never tire of watching Pointons video. Always laugh at how drunk the players are getting off the bus. Big Gilles getting interviewed with jacket and tie on but no shirt :)

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Marvellous times. 

That was a superb Hearts side. Had we been able to strengthen in thd January we might have got even closer to Celtic in the league 

I remember coming out of Parkhead 0-0 about 7 games from end of the season. I was parked down from the Forge area and I recall some Celtic fans saying as I walked amongst them that they thought Hearts would win the league

That really was a superb Hearts team. The combination in the middle of the park was excellent. Wee Cameron used to just get on his bike and go. Never known a box to box midfielder like him in Scotland. That side was potent down the left 

Marvellous times indeed 

iwasthere1954
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Stop it your bringing tears to my eyes. I was lucky as I remember the great days from the fifties but I was only a boy. Bye the way what a great post.

Blackford Hearts
4 hours ago, a11ank said:

After suffering my first final in 76 when DJ scored before we even got in, and the many close things afterwards...

This was the best day out for any Jambo of a certain age. Parkhead was gloriously bathed in sunshine and from the minute we got that penalty, it was party time.  There were loads of tears of joy after that game.

Gretna was torture. The Hubs game was brilliant.  That game in 98 was 10 x better... You had to be there!

And the celebrations afterwards. That picture kinda sums it all up. Fantastic memories:laugh:

I could have written exactly the same, may have added the many (it seemed) finals and semi finals lost in between that made 1998 so amazing. Drunken and happy we met a drunken Stevie Fulton smoking a fag on Gorgie Road after the Tynie celebrations. Did the Parkhead stand really bounce or is my memory mistaken?

Shanks said no

Best day I ever spent with my late father.

Traveled through with him, his best mate, his son and my 7 year old daughter (who still hasn't seen us lose a SC final)

Daughter and I were sitting in a different bit from the others so I had to keep it together to look after the girl. After the game we met outside the stand. I cried in his arms, I was 35 and we had been to every final, semi and last day failure together. We got back to Corstorphine and no one knew what to do, we hadn't made any plans, too many times before we had planned the celebrations, this time nothing. We stood on the Drumbrae roundabout with other Jambos when word reached us the bus was going via Calder Road. My late mother drove about 8 of us in the car and dropped us off on Stevenson Road. 

I walked arm in arm with my dad up Westfield Road and when I think of my dad that's my favourite memory, we were so happy together.*

In my garage I have a VHS tape, my mother filmed us when we got back. I have never watched it since 98, he died 4 years ago, anyone know the best way to get it onto a dvd or download? It contains stuff personal to me* but also films the bus arriving back that night.

Sorry for rambling on

Blackford Hearts
20 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Best day I ever spent with my late father.

Traveled through with him, his best mate, his son and my 7 year old daughter (who still hasn't seen us lose a SC final)

Daughter and I were sitting in a different bit from the others so I had to keep it together to look after the girl. After the game we met outside the stand. I cried in his arms, I was 35 and we had been to every final, semi and last day failure together. We got back to Corstorphine and no one knew what to do, we hadn't made any plans, too many times before we had planned the celebrations, this time nothing. We stood on the Drumbrae roundabout with other Jambos when word reached us the bus was going via Calder Road. My late mother drove about 8 of us in the car and dropped us off on Stevenson Road. 

I walked arm in arm with my dad up Westfield Road and when I think of my dad that's my favourite memory, we were so happy together.*

In my garage I have a VHS tape, my mother filmed us when we got back. I have never watched it since 98, he died 4 years ago, anyone know the best way to get it onto a dvd or download? It contains stuff personal to me* but also films the bus arriving back that night.

Sorry for rambling on

[email protected] / 07879451568 charges £10 per hour of useable footage. Used before and was very satisfied with service

Shanks said no
4 minutes ago, Blackford Hearts said:

[email protected] / 07879451568 charges £10 per hour of useable footage. Used before and was very satisfied with service

thanks, I might clear the garage tomorrow and look it out

Fitzroy Pointon

Does anyone remember the wee guy in the Hibs top walking down Gorgie road himself and hour or so before the bus came? Must have been about 10. Couldn't believe it :rofl:

I was only 4 so my memories are very vague and I wasn’t there. If I could choose one day in history to go back to and live it would be that day.

2012 for me was obviously the best, and in many respects shouldn’t even be compared to 1998. 2 very special cup wins for very different reasons.

Should i be lucky enough to see us do it again in my lifetime, then that for me would be even more special perhaps, considering the club was on the verge of bankruptcy.

4 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Does anyone remember the wee guy in the Hibs top walking down Gorgie road himself and hour or so before the bus came? Must have been about 10. Couldn't believe it :rofl:

Fair play to the lad in fairness, the day after the shite won the Scottish cup I chummed my girlfriend uptown to see her grandad and wore a Hearts top. :lol:

FWIW, her grandad and a colleague of mine were the only Hibs fans I felt a tiny bit happy for purely for the fact they’re both old timers and long suffering Hibs fans.

Best football weekend of my life. After we lifted that elusive thing, I went to a party in Gorgie and somehow ended up at a Celtic fans party in Craigshill :eek: Yet still made it back for the parade :yas: 

all the hobos at work were spewing :laugh:

Neil McCann popped in and all us Jambos queued up to shake his hand and Neil kindly obliged.

Bridge of Djoum
15 hours ago, Gershwin said:

Had to revise for my higher chemistry the day of the parade :muggy:

image.jpeg.9f728d1086a1f9aaf0beb8b66d38bbb7.jpeg

Best day watching Hearts, nothing comes close and only a league win will top it.

superb team and manager at that time.

4 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Best day watching Hearts, nothing comes close and only a league win will top it.

superb team and manager at that time.

Beats 2012 too. 2012 was just a formality.

12 hours ago, iantjambo said:

It really was a fantastic team. We could have took the league as well if it wasn’t for losing our form in the last month. 

It was indeed. If we had a bigger squad, I think we could have done it 

This was the best weekend of my life!  Pissed from Saturday morning till Monday.  Took a sickie from work on the Monday as I literally could not move.  2006, couldn't make the final due to other commitments, 2012 was brilliant of course but 98 was the crowning moment of my life supporting Hearts.  Will probably only be bettered f we win the league.

I sacrificed the semi in '98 in order to get the final off. The guys who lost out were properly :seething: But my faith in JJ prevailed cumulating in one of the best days of my Hearts supporting life.

God like creature

An amazing day that was.

I didn't think aucht was gonna happen like that,didn't really read papers,no internet and it was the first cup ide seen us win,

i just went along with my wee boy in case something happened !.

A '99'with a flake in the gardens closely followed by hunners o thousands of jambos strolling along princess street was an amazeballs spectacle,to see miserable Jim Jeffries smiling from the top deck ,whilst numerous,still tipsy players cavorted with the cup was braw.

I shall never forget that weekend,I was aged 31yrs then and never thought ide see us win anything,

great to be a jambo.

17 hours ago, been here before said:

All of this is spot on and I also have a vivid memory of the fire station on Calder Road. One weird thing I remember is that after the initial euphoria on the bus it actually went quite quiet for much of the journey back as everyone took in what had happened. It picked up again as we got closer to Edinburgh and was bedlam between the end of the M8 and Gorgie. 

I don't expect to have a better weekend at any point in my life.

That weekend was wonderful for all the reasons that others have mentioned on this thread.  But it was especially poignant to me for another reason.

It was the last game that my dad and I watched together.  He was the staunchest Hearts supporter I've ever met, or ever will meet, and he was very ill that day.  But he saw the famous victory, and we wept tears of joy together.  However, he was too ill to go to the parade next day, so I missed it too.

But he passed on his love of the legendary HMFC to me, and for that I'll always be grateful.  HHGH

19 hours ago, assessor said:

I was one of the many who bumped into Stephanie Adam in Dalry that Saturday night, wish I had photos of that meeting...

I bumped into him (litteraly) in the very early hours of Sunday morning on Lothian Road I was absolutely steamboats I remember my gf  (now wife) having to drag me away from him after hero worshiping him 

Archived