Were You There?

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

On that glorious day ,  I was and at the Sunday parade.

Were you there?

In Sunday's match programme, we turn the clocks back to Sunday, 17th May 1998. The day 200,000 Jambos took to the streets of Edinburgh to celebrate the Scottish Cup's return to Gorgie. 

The programme includes a 10-page photo feature on that incredible trophy parade, including this fantastic image captured from the top of the Hearts bus by photographer Alan Inglis. 

More info on the full contents of the programme here1f447.png?
http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/6454

26734052_10157187101489762_6598723354956926441_n[1].jpg

a37e78a7704ef51e0423c965f64e0dbb[1].png

Wee bit of motivation fir sunday as if amy was needed.

What a fantastic occasion.  I was there in spirit.

Aye.  In the streets.  In Robbo's.  In the stadium.   Half dead by way of hangover and rat-arsed.    

My best night of the 3 was actually 2006.    1998 was too mental and 2012 it was a task trying to get a drink.   

Bit disappointed that they drove the players around in vans rather than using a bus though...

Left house 9 at 6 am on the Saturday morning got home at 0300 on the Monday. 06 and 12 never came close to the joyous emotion that weekend

The Future's Maroon
13 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

On that glorious day ,  I was and at the Sunday parade.

Were you there?

In Sunday's match programme, we turn the clocks back to Sunday, 17th May 1998. The day 200,000 Jambos took to the streets of Edinburgh to celebrate the Scottish Cup's return to Gorgie. 

The programme includes a 10-page photo feature on that incredible trophy parade, including this fantastic image captured from the top of the Hearts bus by photographer Alan Inglis. 

More info on the full contents of the programme here1f447.png?
http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/6454

26734052_10157187101489762_6598723354956926441_n[1].jpg

a37e78a7704ef51e0423c965f64e0dbb[1].png

I'm also in that pic, was standing (sorry swaying drunk) opposite Robbo's.

How bloody hot was it that day....or was that just cos I was steaming?!

No I was lying in a puddle in EK .....?..only took us 20 mins to get home then onto my mates birthday party where all the women had to wear a Hearts top , what a day...??

MacDonald Jardine
2 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

I'm also in that pic, was standing (sorry swaying drunk) opposite Robbo's.

How bloody hot was it that day....or was that just cos I was steaming?!

No. It was boiling all weekend. 

Even the Hibs final doesn't really come close to that one.

I should be there or there about, i might just be before the picture , has my wee girl on my shoulders ! Crazy weekend all round 

Fitzroy Pointon

I'm in that next to the bus stop. White away top, scarf and blue baseball cap 3rd in from the person wearing the yellow jacket next to the police van. 

What a day. What a weekend. 

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Was at CP on the 16th then on Gorgie road later.

watched the team go into City Chambers on 17th then me and my Dad had to head up to the airport (we obviously had never had experience of actually winning anything, in 06 and 12 we travelled back on the Monday!). Sat at the front of the top deck with our hearts scarves across the window, seeing the streets lined with maroon and white was something I'll never forget 

Probably on of the best weekends of my life, that finally, I had witnessed us winning a trophy and the joy on my fellow Jambos faces was there for everyone to see. :bravo:

I have a feeling that we will be heading to Hampden this year to lift the Scottish Cup, again.

I note that the programme is also going to feature a report on the training camp.  Don't want you all thinking I've gone soft but I'm the spirit of friendly rivalry couldn't we have invited Hibs to do a feature on their training camp as well?

Got into Tynecastle early doors still drunk from the night before. I had to drive to Stafford on the Sunday evening for a course...so couldn't drink anymore.

Didn't matter as felt like I flew down the M6 on cloud 9. 

Screenshot_20180119-212755.jpg

Was 9 and although memories are sketchy, we went to Tynecastle on the 17th and I will never forget that I had wearing one of the big maroonn and white top hats with the jingle bells and we (me Mum and Dad) were videos by sky sports giving it the big thumbs up etc outside The main stand

was buzzing to tune in to watch it and see myself and they showed the people in front and behind us to get videos and not me 

After suffering my first final in 76 when DJ scored before we even got in, and the many close things afterwards...

This was the best day out for any Jambo of a certain age. Parkhead was gloriously bathed in sunshine and from the minute we got that penalty, it was party time.  There were loads of tears of joy after that game.

Gretna was torture. The Hubs game was brilliant.  That game in 98 was 10 x better... You had to be there!

And the celebrations afterwards. That picture kinda sums it all up. Fantastic memories:laugh:

Was 22 years young on that glorious day and cried like a baby when the final whistle went, for me it was better than 2012 (only just though) and the scenes at that parade where extraordinary

Spent the Sunday afternoon on the roof of the Clock Inn, great vantage point when the bus came past

Glorious day

25 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Best day of my life, and the Sunday was a drunken haze but beautiful.  That and the Mercer derby 

Greatest weekend of my life

:walk_man:

It was a long wait from '68

28 minutes ago, Jamdub said:

Probably on of the best weekends of my life, that finally, I had witnessed us winning a trophy and the joy on my fellow Jambos faces was there for everyone to see. :bravo:

I have a feeling that we will be heading to Hampden this year to lift the Scottish Cup, again.

Exactly .. that's my overriding memory and one of the great moments .. just seeing the joy and even some disbelief on all oor faces spilling out of darkheid 

when the 2nd goal went in there was this crushing overwhelming sense of belief that started to coarse through the stand - our support was magic that day, 2nd to none 

remember absolutely nothing about the night of the final right enough - at a works night oot and got sent hame in a taxi pissed oot Ma Heid 

for me best day of my life being a Jambo and just so special seeing us lift our first trophy as at one point I thought it would never come -  that's what made it all the more special though and just seeing the same look on everyone else's faces - magic times 

that feeling will be irreplaceable through life 

9 minutes ago, Kid Creole said:

Spent the Sunday afternoon on the roof of the Clock Inn, great vantage point when the bus came past

Glorious day

To be fair,  the roof was by far the best thing about the Clock Inn.   

Best weekend of my life.

I remember waking up on the Saturday morning and just knowing it was our day.

When that 2nd goal hit the net was just amazing and when the final whistle went, just pure and unbridled joy that I never thought possible.

5-1 was amazing but ‘98 was something incredibly special.

3 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

the correct answer for those of a certain age :yas:

The game was amazing, a wonderfully proud moment after decades of near things!

My downstairs neighbour, a huge hun, and well in with their hierarchy, had organised a celebration party and I took great delight in arriving fashionably late in full Jambos kit ha ha, they didn't like it up 'em!

Too hungover to make it through for the parade, so I went to play cricket,  still hungover but able to continue my lording it over my friends in the West!

8 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

the correct answer for those of a certain age :yas:

This x 100

been here before
10 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

If you werent around in 98 there is no way you'll ever know what it was like. Words dont do it justice.

For any cup win to come close youd have to wait until about 2050 without seeing us lift it again.

Only winning the league would beat it.

Probably the best day of my Hearts supporting life, what a day.

Was there to welcome our heroes back to Tynecastle after being on one of the Orwell Hearts buses that famous day.

I took my then 4 year old son to the parade on the Sunday.

Managed to get seats in the main stand and watched the Scottish Cup coming back to Gorgie.

I was 20 at the time.

I remember when Adam's goal went in, I turned round to my dad who had tears streaming down his face and he says "we are going to win this".

Such an amazing feeling that day compounded by the pressure at the end, it was a game that went all the way not like the Hibs final.

For me the best experience I've had following hearts. I was only 13 at the time and always remember my dad turning to me at full time and shouting you lucky b*sta#d, I've been waiting my whole life for this! Parkhead was litterarly rocking and the parade was epic on the Sunday.

37 minutes ago, Kid Creole said:

Glorious day

Had to be the roof mate, there was no feckin windows!!

I was at the game and inside Tyney with my then 8 year old daughter the following day. I said to her “You might never see this again” ??

Shes seen it twice I ken **** all

Forgot to mention we ended back at the Orwell Lodge Hotel later that evening.

To our surprise and complete delight, there was a wedding in the function suite, the groom and his wedding party were all decked out in the hubz tartan!

You can imagine how the night went, some light banter, no they got it tight and then some.

I got a bit nasty later in the night. Typical hobo logic, let's have our wedding in a staunch Hearts pub.

That topped the day off nicely.

Brilliant weekend.  Tears of joy and happiness. Daughter on my shoulders waving to the team on the bus and was so happy didn't mind the wee fact she was getting heavy.

I was one of the many who bumped into Stephanie Adam in Dalry that Saturday night, wish I had photos of that meeting...

Worthing Jambo
18 minutes ago, been here before said:

If you werent around in 98 there is no way you'll ever know what it was like. Words dont do it justice.

For any cup win to come close youd have to wait until about 2050 without seeing us lift it again.

Agree with this ?

17 minutes ago, been here before said:

:spoton:

I very much doubt anyone in our lifetime will ever experience anything better than that.

I always remember that split second at full time just being so surreal and not quite knowing what to do until the realisation of what just happened suddenly hit me.

Archived