Too early for Milinkovic decision

The Future's Maroon

The Future's Maroon

Regarding the below, pretty fair comments from Levein.

Craig Levein plans to judge on-loan Hearts winger David Milinkovic over a full season before deciding whether he is worth signing permanently. The Hearts manager is pleased with the Frenchman’s recent form but insists he must sustain it after the winter break. Milinkovic, inset, told the Evening News last month that he is happy in Edinburgh and plans to approach parent club Genoa about converting his season-long loan into a permanent transfer. He was initially loaned to Foggia in July but asked to leave in August upon hearing of Hearts’ interest. Levein admitted the 23-year-old has come to life during his team’s recent nine-game unbeaten run, culminating in his first two goals in Scotland during the 4-0 destruction of Celtic on December 17. The manager now wants to assess him during the second half of the campaign before any talks about his long-term future. “I haven’t looked at David’s situation yet,” explained Levein.

“The loan deal was complicated because he was at another club but didn’t belong to them. We had to jump through hoops to get it done. He started fairly slowly with us but there has been improvement for sure in the last six weeks. “I’d rather just have a fuller picture than what we’ve seen so far. Is he going to continue doing what he’s doing and is he going to be somebody I can rely on? That’s where we want to get to with him – the point where he’s going to be reliable.” Milinkovic’s industry and work rate allied to his technical ability have been warmly received by the Hearts support.

Such attributes have not gone unnoticed by Levein, either. “I think he’s done well. He has been erratic at times but the thing which endears me more than anything is that David does work extremely hard. If he makes a mistake, he does his best to try and make up for it. “He’s got really good ability but, like most attacking players, they can be a wee bit erratic. Once he learns just to calm down a bit and take a breath, he will improve even further. He’s just a wee bit wound up and highly-strung at times. “It’s not often you bring in a foreign player who is a winger and he actually enjoys the tackling and the physical side of it. He seems to relish that, which is a positive.” 

Read more at: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/too-early-to-consider-david-milinkovic-deal-says-hearts-boss-1-4656405

If he can perform like he did v Celtic regularly then he'll earn his permanent contract

I like him, hope he has a good second half to this season

I think he's a good player but needs composure in front of goal. Time will tell at least until the end of the season anyway.

He's improving as he settles into the squad and gets more games.

He's good but I would like to see him improve his decision making and just be that little bit more clinical. Can't fault his work ethic though.

letsalldothebeattie

I agree with Levein. Don’t get me wrong I’ve liked what I’ve seen when he’s played. That performance against Celtic alone was something special but I would like to see him do that more regularly over the second half of the season then sign him permanently 

as Bauld said, great work ethic. Let's give him until the end of the season before we make a move for him.

Clerry Jambo
6 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

I agree with Levein. Don’t get me wrong I’ve liked what I’ve seen when he’s played. That performance against Celtic alone was something special but I would like to see him do that more regularly over the second half of the season then sign him permanently 

This

Yep, we've got form on giving the permanent deal too soon or making it too long and watching the player become a passenger...Sensible decision.

As long as the player is happy and fits in with Craig's plans then this is the smart way to do business.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Correct decision. No need to jump into a permanent agreement with time still left to go on the loan.

Smart management from Levein.

Lays the challenge out to Milinkovic - you want to continue here then show us what you've got.

13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Smart management from Levein.

Lays the challenge out to Milinkovic - you want to continue here then show us what you've got.

I'm guessing that with a winger supposedly coming in, CL will want to take stock at the back end of the season to see what he needs bearing in mind the growing emergence of our youths.

Craig now having a look at David puts to bed this myth and lies that Levein chose the players in the past. 

Looks OK.  Works hard. Other than Celtic game I'm not sure there has been too much by way of end product. 

Done ok though. Be interesting to see what he has to offer for remainder of the season 

jambo-fletch

Good management by Levein! He reminds me of Suso, clearly lots of ability but not afraid of the physical side either, which is rare in a winger. Hope he continues to improve in the second half of the season!

The White Cockade

probably a wise decision after some recent signings

He looked the business against Celtic and I hope he continues to impress and we sign him

It is a risky strategy though because the better he plays the more likely some other club will step in unless

we have an agreement that we have the option to sign him at end of season - not sure that is the case though

I like the guy but understand what Levein is saying. Sitting where I do the amount of shouting instructions to him every game by him and Austin during a game about positioning is unreal . Constant. 

13 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Looks OK.  Works hard. Other than Celtic game I'm not sure there has been too much by way of end product. 

Done ok though. Be interesting to see what he has to offer for remainder of the season 

Agreed. I can only think of the cross he provided for Callachan at PT in one of his first games as an example of a goal or assist prior to the Celtic game or since. 

I can’t think of too many examples of strikers squandering chances that he has created either ( would like to be proven wrong with that though).

Hopefully he does kick on.

I think with Suso,  we didn’t realise what a keeper we had until he had gone.

35 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Frenchman? I thought he was a Serbian. 

Born in France. Perhaps has Serbian parents as I think he has dual nationality.

Son Of Anarchy

He's the definition of "inconsistent" to me but really really want to see his consistent side as think he could become a cult hero here.  Also great to hear CL not spunking money on offers until he's sure.

As an aside, don't you just love any article that has the working "Hearts 4-0 DESTRUCTION of celtic"? :)

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Apart from not putting away his chance, and he should have, thought he was probably just about our best player at Pittodrie. Souttar got Man of the Match but Skinny did an awful lot of good work in the game. The fud Boyle at Hibs is similar, that they work extremely hard, don't seem to know when to give up, commendable in a wide player. Last time I will ever praise the puddle drinking vermin from the far east, promise

It would appear to be a no-risk strategy, whereby if he proves himself he will want to stay anyway. A nice position to be in for a change.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Spencer said:

Yip, I agree.

If anything he has looked very one footed and limited in regards to end product, but he does work hard and he is improving.

I liked seeing him trying to lift the opposing goalie from the ground when he was feigning injury to waste time – it could have been against Hamilton or Ross County. He's done that sort of thing a few times, including retrieving the ball for opponents' bye-kicks, when Hearts are not in a winning position. I like that – a player recognising the urgency of the situation. Too many strollers (e.g. Walker) seem unconcerned about time slipping away when we're not winning, and I think that's extremely poor.

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

I liked seeing him trying to lift the opposing goalie from the ground when he was feigning injury to waste time – it could have been against Hamilton or Ross County. He's done that sort of thing a few times, including retrieving the ball for opponents' bye-kicks, when Hearts are not in a winning position. I like that – a player recognising the urgency of the situation. Too many strollers (e.g. Walker) seem unconcerned about time slipping away when we're not winning, and I think that's extremely poor.

All good points, but tbh I like the players to be good at football.

Playing ball boy and running about ala Cowie isn't what we need.

If his best attributes are urgency and teamwork we need better to improve.

Feigning injury is also shit patter and hardly a quality to be judging a player on. He's good at following over, let's sign him we are missing that?

He's shown glimpses but we need to be talking about good footballing performances not collecting the ball and running about if he's to be good enough for us.

The fact that most are saying his quality is in fighting and working hard indicates he won't be good enough for us.

Fair enough. So many times I’ve seen permanents signings not really live up to their loan period.

Doing the deal now might let Milinkovic get a little too big for his boots. There’s more to come from him I think and should earn a deal no problem.

5 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Feigning injury is also shit patter and hardly a quality to be judging a player on. He's good at following over, let's sign him we are missing that?

He's shown glimpses but we need to be talking about good footballing performances not collecting the ball and running about if he's to be good enough for us.

The fact that most are saying his quality is in fighting and working hard indicates he won't be good enough for us.

Good stuff from the man who champions Sammon.

I like Milinkovic and I think, while most are recognising his effort and commitment, he is also a decent player.  He has improved steadily - not dramatically - over the past few weeks.  I think he is actually suited to the Scottish game, and if he just learns to channel some of his 'commitment', we could have a very decent player.  I think Levein is taking a very sensible approach, here.

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, Haken said:

I like Milinkovic and I think, while most are recognising his effort and commitment, he is also a decent player.  He has improved steadily - not dramatically - over the past few weeks.  I think he is actually suited to the Scottish game, and if he just learns to channel some of his 'commitment', we could have a very decent player.  I think Levein is taking a very sensible approach, here.

Never championed Sammon, i don't think he was as bad as some made out and the team as the stats showed- won more with him than without him starting.

Clearly not good enough going forward, I fear my sarcasm may have been missed.

However, I'd still take Sammon over Stockton at this current time.

I could also flip your point back to you- you are backing milinkovic on effort and work, but ridicule me for backing Sammon on the same principles?

He could be decent and I think it is the right approach not to sign him now.

However, as far as wingers go, imo he is limited and the fact hard work and effort is what we're talking about backs that up ATM.

Although he is getting better, maybe he just needs time.

26 minutes ago, Haken said:

The guy can play football. I don’t think we need to worry about that.

I think first and foremost CL has touched on the workrate and fight because that’s what Hearts needed crucially to set standards again. 

He’s also sending the message that these elements mustn’t diminish.

A manager won’t tolerate a good footballer who doesn’t work hard.

Leveins spot on again.

I like Milinkovic, he's worked hard for the team in the last month and he has it in his locker to have outstanding games, as we seen against Celtic. Need to see him do what he did against Celtic more often though.

KnightyJambo
1 hour ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

The keeper was the one feigning injury, not skinny...

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, KnightyJambo said:

The keeper was the one feigning injury, not skinny...

Ffs, of course, he was pulling him up.

Tbf, I did wonder when he faked injury!

Nugget.

1 hour ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Never championed Sammon, i don't think he was as bad as some made out and the team as the stats showed- won more with him than without him starting.

I could also flip your point back to you- you are backing milinkovic on effort and work, but ridicule me for backing Sammon on the same principles?

However, as far as wingers go, imo he is limited and the fact hard work and effort is what we're talking about backs that up ATM.

I'm not - as my post points out - backing the guy on effort and work alone.  I also say that I think he's a decent player.

I agree with you that Stockton, on the evidence so far, is no upgrade on Sammon.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Happy with that. We’ve made a lot of mistakes in the transfer market. Let’s leave this one to ride a bit

Very wise stance from CL. The jury is most definitely out. There have been some encouraging signs but also games which have simply passed him by. I'd imagine CL will be very careful who he commits to unless it is abundantly clear they are making us better. So far Milinkovic is  a definite meh and could easily be replaced. Up to him how much he wants to remain at Hearts and I think thats a good policy.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Haken said:

I'm not - as my post points out - backing the guy on effort and work alone.  I also say that I think he's a decent player.

I agree with you that Stockton, on the evidence so far, is no upgrade on Sammon.

Allot of the postives are about effort and work rate in many of the posts.

For me, he doesn't go past players enough, assist or score enough. He's also very one footed.

However, he is fast, he does try and as in the Celtic game there can be a end product.

Maybe once he settles and has more of a positive impact I'll see him as a good attacking option.

As cl is doing, the best way is too watch him over the next few months.

If it was a yeah or nae right now, I'd be on the nae side.

Happy with what is happening tho, he might improve.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Very wise stance from CL. The jury is most definitely out. There have been some encouraging signs but also games which have simply passed him by. I'd imagine CL will be very careful who he commits to unless it is abundantly clear they are making us better. So far Milinkovic is  a definite meh and could easily be replaced. Up to him how much he wants to remain at Hearts and I think thats a good policy.

Yip, think the replacement part is key.

He could easily be replaced with a  ten a penny winger who run about and tackles.

No need to rush.

4 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

I'd take Sammon over Stockton too 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Spencer said:

I'd take Sammon over Stockton too 

We are lacking opshunns..?

1 minute ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

We are lacking opshunns..?

We could do with getting some business done sooner rather than later. I appreciate stating this depicts you as a pant wetter on here but time is ticking 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Spencer said:

We could do with getting some business done sooner rather than later. I appreciate stating this depicts you as a pant wetter on here but time is ticking 

Stating opinion and in this case the obvious isn't pant wetting.

Forseing hibs beating us, our season collapsing and then demanding heads roll all because hibs signed a random could be classed as having a meltdown- aka pant wetting.?

21 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Stating opinion and in this case the obvious isn't pant wetting.

Forseing hibs beating us, our season collapsing and then demanding heads roll all because hibs signed a random could be classed as having a meltdown- aka pant wetting.?

The Aussie Hibs signed doesn't bother me in the slightest 

I'm far more concerned with the activity we undertake 

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Spencer said:

The Aussie Hibs signed doesn't bother me in the slightest 

I'm far more concerned with the activity we undertake 

Wise words.

Or inactivity..... Fear not. Treble unveiling on Thursday ?

Archived