Liam Henderson on trial at Bari

Perth to Paisley

7 hours ago, stirlingshirejambo said:

Souness about same time

Really can't think of anyone recently

Law and Joe Baker (English, but played for Hibs, grew up in Scotland) played (and hated) for Torino in 1963.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamboinglasgow

• rudi must stay

• Morgan

• kimosavi

9 hours ago, Longshanks said:

Who was the last Scottish player to go abroad and actually do well? 

It always seems to go tits up. 

Barry Douglas I would say qualifies. Polish champion and cost Wolves a million.

Not quite the same as Lambert but mostly positives.

8 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Serie B? 

:laugh: aye, always loved serie B....so he's moved to my second favorite league, fair play to the lad.

• 4 months later...
33 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Both Parma and Bologna are after him to play in Seria A 

Good on the lad, well done to him for having a crack at playing abroad.

He’s a weird looking induvidual but he’s got talent and not afraid to do the unusual like the boy who played for Dundee Utd. 

5 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Very true, and a very fair post.

Is he better than Milinkovic? I would doubt that and the region of fee he will be sold for (if true) will possibly justify Genoa’s valuation I suppose. 

rudi must stay
13 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

He’s a weird looking induvidual but he’s got talent and not afraid to do the unusual like the boy who played for Dundee Utd. 

Good luck to him. Plays a very unscottish game and him on form he could be a very good player for our national team. 

21 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

Willo Flood?

16 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Good luck to him. Plays a very unscottish game and him on form he could be a very good player for our national team. 

Fair point, didn’t even think about the national side either. 

9 minutes ago, Nightwing said:

Willo Flood?

Didnt he only go to Celtic from the motherland Oirland? 

12 hours ago, Barack said:

Liam Henderson cried at this clip, as it brought home his tough, abusive, childhood memories, flooding back...

Great movie the actor with MM ended up with a share in Adelaide FC. Movie has a connection to Hearts now with young Ben signed........!

8 hours ago, Morgan said:

:lol:

Love it mate!

Well played.

He's actually doing no bad for himself.  never seen that coming 

Still end up at the echo dome at some point in his career 

Nookie Bear
On 17/01/2018 at 21:41, Longshanks said:

John Inglis went from Aberdeen to Levski Sofia and ended up marrying a Bulgarian supermodel.

So that probably counts as "okay".

Ibrahim Tall
On 18/01/2018 at 06:56, GarryJ-o-s said:

Barry Douglas I would say qualifies. Polish champion and cost Wolves a million.

Not quite the same as Lambert but mostly positives.

Won a trophy on Turkey too.

Along with the Championship last year he's now won trophies in three different countries(& none of them Scotland) doubt there's many  who've done that tbh.

The Old Tolbooth
11 hours ago, Irufushi said:

And yet McLeish will still pick cloggers from the SPL over him for international duty. 

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

And yet McLeish will still pick cloggers from the SPL over him for international duty. 

To be fair to McLeish, Henderson would not have been able to play in Peru and Mexico as he had play-off with Bari. But if he moves and plays regularly in Seria A and doesn't get picked then questions should be asked.

johnthomas
2 hours ago, kimosavi said:

He's actually doing no bad for himself.  never seen that coming 

Still end up at the echo dome at some point in his career 

Give the guy a break . Hes gone to Italian football because he can play and has enough confidence in his own ability to move away from the usual career track . He has done well there . I , for one , hope he continues this 

The Internet

I'm as depressed as anyone watching big Eck McLeish bumbling around trying to manage Scotland but not calling up Liam Henderson is pretty far down the list of reasons why. 

The Old Tolbooth
3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

To be fair to McLeish, Henderson would not have been able to play in Peru and Mexico as he had play-off with Bari. But if he moves and plays regularly in Seria A and doesn't get picked then questions should be asked.

Fair to McLeish? I don't think I can be mate, I totally detest the man, even listening to him in his pre match interviews is absolutely painful.

Perth to Paisley

Bari didn't go up via Playoff so he will need a move to play in Serie A.

Parma or Bologna would be a great move for him.

3 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I'm as depressed as anyone watching big Eck McLeish bumbling around trying to manage Scotland but not calling up Liam Henderson is pretty far down the list of reasons why. 

Correct. 

He's nae Lewis Stevenson! 

3 hours ago, johnthomas said:

Give the guy a break . Hes gone to Italian football because he can play and has enough confidence in his own ability to move away from the usual career track . He has done well there . I , for one , hope he continues this 

Exactly.  Maroon tints all round here.  The lad's a good player, I've always thought that.  Make himself available, can pass a ball, great delivery, works hard.  We'd be happy with him at Tynie.

So great to see him try his arm over in Italy.  Hope he gets a move to Serie A, and hopefully to a team that does well and where he plays.

Fed up of seeing our players follow the easy money to England.  It's bullshit: their teams treat us like a pound shop and our players very rarely develop once they get down there.  Agents are the real issue, and if more guys would be a bit more headstrong and either forge their careers here for longer or look to go try a different style and way of life, we'd be the better for it.  The more players do it and do OK, the more of a market we create here.

Think about the Dutch league, it is still held up as a great place to pick up young players and there's millions spent there from across Europe and, while there is quality, there is so much of that spent looking for the next Wesley or Van Dijk or whatever, that a lot of it is speculative based on perception rather than the specific player.  There's a lot of money been spent on a lot of shite from that league!

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 21:41, Longshanks said:

Alan McInally? 

Olly Burke was a regular for the team that came 2nd in Bundesliga only two seasons ago.  Then moved to West Brom!  Nice move, kid.

31 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Olly Burke was a regular for the team that came 2nd in Bundesliga only two seasons ago.  Then moved to West Brom!  Nice move, kid.

wasn't a regular, he might have started that way but he ended up only getting 5-10 mins at the end of matches

6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

wasn't a regular, he might have started that way but he ended up only getting 5-10 mins at the end of matches

Aye, but at the age of 19, he was getting 5,10, 20 mins almost every game for the team who came 2nd in Germany.  I'd call that a success.

From there, to West Brom is a very strange career move imo.  EVen if Leipzig didn't see him nailing a place, you'd think his involvement in that season would be a enough to get a better move that West chuffing Brom.  Even the way they play football... was Olly Burke ever going to progress under Tony Pulis?

Was he home sick?  Was it money?  It was exciting for Scottish football to see the lad go there and do pretty well and I felt a bit deflated when he came "back", even before seeing how his and West Brom's season went.

Finlay James
15 hours ago, Barack said:

Liam Henderson cried at this clip, as it brought home his tough, abusive, childhood memories, flooding back...

Cracking film

• 11 months later...
jamboinglasgow

He will be playing Serie A football next season after Hellas Verona won the Serie B play off.

Maybe an ex-hibs player but pleased to see a Scottish player reach one of the top leagues in Europe. With Jack Harper playing in la liga next season for Getafe, hopefully Steve Clarke watches these guys. Shame that Hamburg didn't promoted with David Bates.

38 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

He will be playing Serie A football next season after Hellas Verona won the Serie B play off.

Maybe an ex-hibs player but pleased to see a Scottish player reach one of the top leagues in Europe. With Jack Harper playing in la liga next season for Getafe, hopefully Steve Clarke watches these guys. Shame that Hamburg didn't promoted with David Bates.

Good post. Except the last part. Scheisse HSV. :)

jamboinglasgow
14 minutes ago, Locky said:

Good post. Except the last part. Scheisse HSV. :)

Well Schalke just need to sign a Scottish player then.

Good stuff. First in Italy since Souness or that Richard Hughes guy? 

This could be a Celtic mess-up comparable to them not bothering to sign massive Celtic fans Andy Robertson and James McCarthy because that would have meant them giving decent money to another Scottish club.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

This could be a Celtic mess-up comparable to them not bothering to sign massive Celtic fans Andy Robertson and James McCarthy because that would have meant them giving decent money to another Scottish club.

Celtic let Robertson go when he was 15, despite the youth coaches wanting to keep him.....which makes it look even worse

Unknown user
On 17/01/2018 at 21:41, Longshanks said:

Andy Robertson? :D

Scottish players have done ok in the MLS but it's hard to take the MLS seriously when Zlatan and Perry Kitchen are team mates. I can't really think of many others in recent years, Ziggy Gordon's got a good move to Dynamo Bucharest but no idea how that's going to turn out.

Unknown user
19 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Funny thing about Robertson, he played against the rangers in the third division for Queen's giving them an up close and personal look at him, and they were so impressed they signed Nicky Clark. 

I love that both cheeks narrowly missed out.

Edited by Smithee

rudi must stay

Pleased to hear this, have time for him as a footballer in amongst all the moneygrabbers.  Great attitude, plays fair and he is a wonderful passer of the ball. 

Hope he does well in Serie A

10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Andy Robertson? :D

Scottish players have done ok in the MLS but it's hard to take the MLS seriously when Zlatan and Perry Kitchen are team mates. I can't really think of many others in recent years, Ziggy Gordon's got a good move to Dynamo Bucharest but no idea how that's going to turn out.

that does sum up the MLS. Take a budget of 10m, give 7m to one player, 2.5m split between another 10 players - whoever they can get, Sam Nicolson or Barry Robson or someone - and give the rest to a bunch of students.

10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Funny thing about Robertson, he played against the rangers in the third division for Queen's giving them an up close and personal look at him, and they were so impressed they signed Nicky Clark. 

I love that both cheeks narrowly missed out.

Robertson probably failed their national anthem test by singing the Scottish one.

jamboinglasgow
8 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Pleased to hear this, have time for him as a footballer in amongst all the moneygrabbers.  Great attitude, plays fair and he is a wonderful passer of the ball. 

Hope he does well in Serie A

He could have easily stayed at Celtic and not got a game or gone to a lower English clubs, but he took a chance. Even last summer when Bari went under, he had options to sign for a few Serie A clubs but turned them down to stay in Serie B with Verona as the manager who brought him to Italy was now managing there. He has showed bravery and it has really paid off for him. Plus he is loving the culture and lifestyle out there.

Here is a good interview with him from back in April

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/italian-serie-a/12/blog/post/3807711/youre-not-in-scotland-now----why-liam-henderson-left-superpower-celtic-for-the-italian-second-division

He is a good example of the benefit of taking the chance and going abroad to play. Hopefully more Scottish youngsters can do that.

His younger brother is meant to be the baller in the family. Interesting to see how he develops at Celtic. 

13 minutes ago, Pagey said:

His younger brother is meant to be the baller in the family. Interesting to see how he develops at Celtic. 

Liam Henderson is a player 

jamboinglasgow
29 minutes ago, Pagey said:

I do find it funny that when Liam Henderson was at Celtic, we had a different Liam Henderson at Hearts (and Liam Henderson who this thread is about was a youth player at Hearts early on.)

Now his brother Ewan is a fringe player for Celtic at the same time Euan Henderson is at Hearts.

Footballfirst
25 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I do find it funny that when Liam Henderson was at Celtic, we had a different Liam Henderson at Hearts (and Liam Henderson who this thread is about was a youth player at Hearts early on.)

Now his brother Ewan is a fringe player for Celtic at the same time Euan Henderson is at Hearts.

Liam Henderson was indeed at Hearts before he left to go to Celtic (similar to Aaron Hickey) after playing for Hearts at U11 and U12 (I think) He was born in 1996 and left for Celtic in 2008, so probably joined them for his U13 season.

The other Liam Henderson was last heard of at Edinburgh City.

Edited by Footballfirst

8 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Well Schalke just need to sign a Scottish player then.

Nah, I want them to turn the corner. :)