Woman killed in fall from Scott Monument

Ulysses

Another one?!

Quite a few folk have taken a heider off that in recent times. Really should put up permanent safety caging.

Diadora Van Basten

It’s just horrible! I saw a guy jumping from there about a year ago.

I saw the white tent tonight and it brought it all back. It is sad that people can’t see that things can get better and just cause things aren’t great just now doesn’t mean they will always be like that.

10 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

It would be absolutely horrific to witness that.

Dangerous too for people walking along the pavement below. 

Poor soul must have been desperate.

We were there yesterday at the same time, would have hated to have witnessed that.

Scary to think how low she must have been to do that.  RIP.

luckyBatistuta

What really gets me about these sad events, is the Neanderthals that think it's perfectly acceptable to stand there filming it on their mobile phones, knowing someone is possibly going to jump from it. Why would you want to film that, so you can tell your friends you were there, or put it on Facebook, get a life ffs

Bridge of Djoum

An unimaginable level of desperation and hopelessness which drives people to do this. 

Poor woman. 

John Findlay

Railway averages almost one a day. Last one local was Wally ford on Hogmanay. Trust me they are not for the faint hearted.

Bridge of Djoum
7 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Think there are way more people off the Forth Road Bridge than are reported.

I mind when I worked in a bar in Leith, we'd get a few Paramedics in. One I got friendly with was telling me that in the 80's especially they'd pull a fair amount of bodies from the Water of Leith around the Shore and docks as well as further along. Apparently the vast  number were women, rarely reported missing, and that their discoveries were rarely reported unless they were on a missing persons list. 

Life can be grim and incredibly sad. Enjoy the good times, folks.

Had a guy jumped off a bridge in Vancouver, missed the water and landed on a boat going under the bridge.  My boat crew attended and gave what aid they could to the guy, got him ashore and to hospital.  Urgent call a couple of hours later he was dead, and found to be suffering from Aids.  The two policemen were rushed in and tested and had to get tested for quite a while later. That may have been the deceaseds reason for jumping, but when you attend these things you just don't know what is behind it all.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

I mind when I worked in a bar in Leith, we'd get a few Paramedics in. One I got friendly with was telling me that in the 80's especially they'd pull a fair amount of bodies from the Water of Leith around the Shore and docks as well as further along. Apparently the vast  number were women, rarely reported missing, and that their discoveries were rarely reported unless they were on a missing persons list. 

Life can be grim and incredibly sad. Enjoy the good times, folks.

It can indeed. I had a person  get in my taxi not long after someone had just jumped off the Scott Monument and theyclaimed they  had seen it happen. They  started moaning about how inconsiderate the woman who jumped off was, because so many people had to witness what happened. Just incredible that someone can actually think like that, total fek'n idiot.

Regal Kingston

use the trains most days and when somebody jumps on a rail track my first reaction is anger that I’ll need to find alternative transportation then I feel pretty bad for my initial reaction as I know somebody has died. 

was reading online that the poor girl landed right next to an 11 year old boy. He will likely be traumatised for the rest of his life. She even could have landed on somebody and took them with her. 

Its a desprate situation and these kind of reactions are justified at the time. 

Riddley Walker
8 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Railway averages almost one a day. Last one local was Wally ford on Hogmanay. Trust me they are not for the faint hearted.

My mum was on that train. Didn't realise it was suicide.

8 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I know a train driver who has had numerous "jumpers" and had one only just a few moths ago. I'm amazed at how he can deal with it? One in particular as he could see the man's face when he threw himself.

I'm not sure if I could ever get over that myself?

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Riddley Walker said:

My mum was on that train. Didn't realise it was suicide.

Sadly most are. However, to begin with BTP initially have to treat it as a crime scene until suicide is established through witnesses and CCTV. Unfortunately this takes time and the line can be closed for hours until the facts are established and the cleaning up process has taken place. I know this infuriates the travelling public but procedures and processes have to take place. Most are understanding but, unfortunately there are those who don't care. This comes over heartless but, we are all humans and not all the same.

Do The Dance
9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It can indeed. I had a person  get in my taxi not long after someone had just jumped off the Scott Monument and theyclaimed they  had seen it happen. They  started moaning about how inconsiderate the woman who jumped off was, because so many people had to witness what happened. Just incredible that someone can actually think like that, total fek'n idiot.

Not an idiot in my opinion. It's people seeing things like that which can lead to them having major problems in their life. Yes, it's horrible that someone feels it's the only way out but it does affect other people too.

luckyBatistuta

Yeah, it can affect them too, but to claim that the person jumping off the top of the monument to their death, is inconsiderate and should have thought about the strangers below, is an idiotic statement imo. 

26 minutes ago, Do The Dance said:

Not an idiot in my opinion. It's people seeing things like that which can lead to them having major problems in their life. Yes, it's horrible that someone feels it's the only way out but it does affect other people too.

I get where you’re coming from but if a person has got to the point where they think that the only option for them is to jump from a building or in front of a speeding train then it’s pretty fair to say that they’ve went beyond the realms of rational thinking.

luckyBatistuta
Just now, iantjambo said:

I get where you’re coming from but if a person has got to the point where they think that the only option for them is to jump from a building or in front of a speeding train then it’s pretty fair to say that they’ve went beyond the realms of rational thinking.

Exactly ian

A couple of years ago, a young friend of our family took his own life.  He was a bright, energetic, funny, highly-popular young man, and his sudden death was a shock to everyone.

He was an officer-pilot student at Canada's Royal Military College, and we learned later that he was having difficulty with a couple of his courses.  The problems must have seemed overwhelming to him, and he must have thought that his career was over.  He hanged himself in his room at the College.  Sadly, even if he had left the military, he would have been a success in the business world, he was so intelligent and hard-working.

His parents, his fiance, and his closest friends, are still shattered by this needless tragedy. 

Do The Dance
1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

Yep, and I agree with you, but I wouldn't want my kid to be either the person committing suicide or the person that witnesses it happening right in front of them. Nothing wrong with someone seeing both perspecives of this, is what I'm saying. In a way they are 2 different incidents.

13 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Think there are way more people off the Forth Road Bridge than are reported.

My dad worked on the bridge in the 70’s. He held onto a man’s legs to stop him jumping. The police came, took him into custody, left him with his belt on, he hanged himself in his cell. So sad, seems like he would do anything to die.

22 minutes ago, Do The Dance said:

Yep, and I agree with you, but I wouldn't want my kid to be either the person committing suicide or the person that witnesses it happening right in front of them. Nothing wrong with someone seeing both perspecives of this, is what I'm saying. In a way they are 2 different incidents.

I wasn’t disagreeing with you bud. More looking at it from the perspective of the person committing suicide.

Terribly sad - and who is to say what drives someone to this. Total despair i guess. I had a school class mate who was arguably the ultimate in success. Good looking, school captain, qualified as a doctor, became a top consultant, wife and three kids and a few years later when on a morning run in Arran when on holiday all they found was his clothes on the beach. Never found the body. Had it all apparently but clearly deeply troubled. Still think of him.

Do The Dance
2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

I wasn’t disagreeing with you bud. More looking at it from the perspective of the person committing suicide.

Yep, I know.

I’m just trying to put across that there is a place for the other perspective without sounding like a dick. Difficult on a message board!

Just now, John Findlay said:

One of my mates in the Police said they were getting on average 1 a week at South Queensferry when he worked there.  That might the whole forth all the way up to Grangemouth?

18 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Done a course ages ago where we got a tour of the redevelopment going on at Waverley about 5-6 years ago. Site manager told us that we’d be astonished how often people jump from the bridge onto the tracks.

Its just not always in the news therefore we don’t hear much.

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Do The Dance said:

Yep, I know.

I’m just trying to put across that there is a place for the other perspective without sounding like a dick. Difficult on a message board!

Apologies if I came across to you as one. I wasn’t trying to argue with you and understand that it would be a horrible thing to witness and affect you, but you surely can’t call someone who is in such a depressive state of mind that they think they can solve all their problems and demons, by taking their own life inconsiderate.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Locky said:

Done a course ages ago where we got a tour of the redevelopment going on at Waverley about 5-6 years ago. Site manager told us that we’d be astonished how often people jump from the bridge onto the tracks.

Remember a photo once in the Evening News of a dog flying through the air to its death on the station below. The guy had thrown his dog off before he jumped himself.

1 hour ago, Locky said:

The problem is that when it becomes such common place that it fails to become news anymore.

Every loss of life is tragic and not just to the person themselves, but often more so to the ones left behind, they are often filled with feelings of what if, why didn't I see how desperate they were and could I have done more to help.

23 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Remember a photo once in the Evening News of a dog flying through the air to its death on the station below. The guy had thrown his dog off before he jumped himself.

I remember that. Worse yet, the guy didn’t have the balls to go through with it himself, therefore just killing the dog in the end. Poor thing.

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, Locky said:

I remember that. Worse yet, the guy didn’t have the balls to go through with it himself, therefore just killing the dog in the end. Poor thing.

Wow, I always thought the guy jumped after he threw the dog. As an animal lover, I hated seeing that picture, bloody shame.

5 minutes ago, Locky said:

I watched that from my office window.

Must have been pre 2003?

Do The Dance
56 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Apologies if I came across to you as one. I wasn’t trying to argue with you and understand that it would be a horrible thing to witness and affect you, but you surely can’t call someone who is in such a depressive state of mind that they think they can solve all their problems and demons, by taking their own life inconsiderate.

No mate, talking about myself.

I never really picked up on you saying your fare had said the person was inconsiderate, reading back I see that now. I was just talking about the horrific event the other people had to witness.

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, Do The Dance said:

No mate, talking about myself.

I never really picked up on you saying your fare had said the person was inconsiderate, reading back I see that now. I was just talking about the horrific event the other people had to witness.

:thumbsup:

I hope neither of us ever have to witness something like that, just so sad.

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Locky said:

I'm told they often suppress this type of news to discourage copycat jumpers.

SwindonJambo
11 minutes ago, bikerjambo said:

That wouldn't surprise me. Jumper sieges are a regular occurrence in Swindon, which has several multi storey car parks. The police & Social Services usually talk them down, although 3 years ago I saw someone go head first off a bridge. He survived though.

16 minutes ago, bikerjambo said:

As above

4 hours ago, Locky said:

Used to work in the station. Jumpers, or people threatening to do it, were depressingly regular occurences.

Watched this documentary recently. It’s about the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco and the extremely high number of suicides there. Since it’s construction in 1937 over 1700 people have killed themselves by jumping. Later this year a project putting netting beneath it, at a cost of over $200 million, will begin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_(2006_documentary_film)

Warning : The documentary is graphic and pretty disturbing. 

luckyBatistuta
28 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Watched this documentary recently. It’s about the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco and the extremely high number of suicides there. Since it’s construction in 1937 over 1700 people have killed themselves by jumping. Later this year a project putting netting beneath it, at a cost of over $200 million, will begin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_(2006_documentary_film)

Warning : The documentary is graphic and pretty disturbing. 

Forgot about this, someone recommended it a while back on the movie thread. Cheers :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, Locky said:

That’s incorrect locky. I was working in the WH Smith in Waverley station at the time. The guy did jump.

John Findlay

The most depressing thing of all about this thread? The numbers as in just how depressingly common suicide is.

10 hours ago, Jambothump said:

That is the case, I'm told figure for Forth Bridge is twice, one a week.

The Forth Road Bridge

I am at the Forth Bridge and it is only on the odd occasion we get a report of something of this nature. People tend to avoid the railway bridge as the Forth road bridge is so accessible. 

Still though ive underwent the Samaritans suicide prevention training.

My uncle committed suicide so it’s an issue too close to home for me.

Ibrahim Tall
On 06/01/2018 at 03:34, luckyBatistuta said:

Inconsiderate isn't the right choice of words but I can kind of understand what they meant.

If you're genuinely going to do it no matter what and it isn't just a cry for help you don't 'need' to do it in basically the busiest street in the country in front of likely dozens of people in including children who'll be affected by the event for the rest of their lives and possibly even have issues themselves.

If you're in the suicidal frame of mind you're clearly not thinking clear enough to consider yourself let alone others so it's not fair to criticise or call them

inconsiderate but it does kind of make an already tragic situation even worse. 

13 hours ago, Morgan said:

I watched that from my office window.

Must have been pre 2003?

Think it was the tail end of the 90’s

3 hours ago, iantjambo said:

That’s incorrect locky. I was working in the WH Smith in Waverley station at the time. The guy did jump.

I always thought the guy was talked out of it. Still very cowardly to do that to the dog.

3 hours ago, iantjambo said:

You're right, Ian. The EEN pic of him throwing the dog and the other of him somersaulting of the bridge is seared into my mind. 

I was standing at the old GPO building talking to his mate, a Big Issue seller, when it happened. I often spoke to him on the way to and from work and saw him arguing with the police who had sealed off North Bridge. He was convinced that he had more chance of talking him out of it than anyone else but they wouldn't let him try. 

3 minutes ago, Locky said:

I always thought the guy was talked out of it. Still very cowardly to do that to the dog.

No the guy jumped immediately after throwing the dog over.

If I remember correctly he was a homeless guy and maybe he was worried about his dog being alone after he jumped.

As I said earlier in the thread, people who do this have went beyond rational thinking.

Archived