Woman killed in fall from Scott Monument

Ulysses

2 minutes ago, martoon said:

You're right, Ian. The EEN pic of him throwing the dog and the other of him somersaulting of the bridge is seared into my mind. 

I was standing at the old GPO building talking to his mate, a Big Issue seller, when it happened. I often spoke to him on the way to and from work and saw him arguing with the police who had sealed off North Bridge. He was convinced that he had more chance of talking him out of it than anyone else but they wouldn't let him try. 

This would fit into me recalling him being homeless. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the police really should have let the guy talk him down.

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Think it was the tail end of the 90’s

Aye, you’re right Locky.

2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

This would fit into me recalling him being homeless. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the police really should have let the guy talk him down.

You do realise even with training professionals have a problem dealing with mentally disturbed persons. There are a number of issues, the use of the wrong word or phrase, and of course the stress on the untrained individual who fails to save the life and lives then with regret her/ himself. Its a compasionate thought, and may work once, but I am fairly sure it is not something that would be used as commomn practise.

From my own experience the person who has come to the point of actually commiting suicide is going to do it, the person who is not sure, or genuinely seeking help and attention can be talked out by anyone.   As has been said on here more than once, the person who takes their own life is mentally ill at the time, illness, stress, disappointment  all sometime factors. Life when it has gone awry can be very cruel, death in its unknown can seem a solution. 

50 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

You do realise even with training professionals have a problem dealing with mentally disturbed persons. There are a number of issues, the use of the wrong word or phrase, and of course the stress on the untrained individual who fails to save the life and lives then with regret her/ himself. Its a compasionate thought, and may work once, but I am fairly sure it is not something that would be used as commomn practise.

From my own experience the person who has come to the point of actually commiting suicide is going to do it, the person who is not sure, or genuinely seeking help and attention can be talked out by anyone.   As has been said on here more than once, the person who takes their own life is mentally ill at the time, illness, stress, disappointment  all sometime factors. Life when it has gone awry can be very cruel, death in its unknown can seem a solution. 

Fair point, Bob. 

The bloke I spoke to that day was, understandably, in a stressed state so, in all likelihood, wouldn't have helped the situation. There are, as you suggest, sound reasons why the authorities keep civilians at bay in these circumstances and leave it in the hands of the trained and/or professionals. 

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

Yep, fair play Bob you’re absolutely spot on.

3 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Yep, fair play Bob you’re absolutely spot on.

Thanks I reread my post and I felt I had started in a way that seemed I was being critical, and that was not so, so I am thanking you for your patience.

Harry Potter
21 hours ago, robroy1874 said:

Terribly sad - and who is to say what drives someone to this. Total despair i guess. I had a school class mate who was arguably the ultimate in success. Good looking, school captain, qualified as a doctor, became a top consultant, wife and three kids and a few years later when on a morning run in Arran when on holiday all they found was his clothes on the beach. Never found the body. Had it all apparently but clearly deeply troubled. Still think of him.

Sorry about your class mate, sometimes in life people are put  beyond the point where they see only one way, that to me

is horrible in this day and age, where we should have instant help for anyone caught in this horrific waste of life. 

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

Thanks I reread my post and I felt I had started in a way that seemed I was being critical, and that was not so, so I am thanking you for your patience.

Not a problem sir.

I could’ve worded my post a bit better in fairness.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Sorry about your class mate, sometimes in life people are put  beyond the point where they see only one way, that to me

is horrible in this day and age, where we should have instant help for anyone caught in this horrific waste of life. 

Thanks for that - it was a complete mystery to his family and wife who had no idea at all anything was wrong. To this day they still have no idea except maybe stress at work

Doctor FinnBarr
10 hours ago, Homme said:

The Forth Road Bridge

I am at the Forth Bridge and it is only on the odd occasion we get a report of something of this nature. People tend to avoid the railway bridge as the Forth road bridge is so accessible. 

Still though ive underwent the Samaritans suicide prevention training.

My uncle committed suicide so it’s an issue too close to home for me.

This is a very long shot but one I've got to ask as you have Bathgate as your location, was your uncle a jambo from Livi?

16 minutes ago, bikerjambo said:

This is a very long shot but one I've got to ask as you have Bathgate as your location, was your uncle a jambo from Livi?

He wasn’t Biker. Our family are from Armadale.

Doctor FinnBarr
1 minute ago, Homme said:

He wasn’t Biker. Our family are from Armadale.

No worries mate, as I said it was a long shot

Archived