Random great moments from unspectacular players

RS86

42 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I remember David Hagen bagging a winner against Celtic in ‘95

I remember this game, a pissing wet night at Hampden and a late win over them 1-0! This was the season they played their home games there while Parkhead was being developed. If I remember correctly there was a pretty crap crowd there that night. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

I remember this game, a pissing wet night at Hampden and a late win over them 1-0! This was the season they played their home games there while Parkhead was being developed. If I remember correctly there was a pretty crap crowd there that night. 

I’m sure it was a game in which they absolutely battered us and we practicality had 11 men behind the ball only to breakaway and score late on.

They were absolutely furious :lol:

Wayne foster twice, the winner against them, and when he chinned Stevie Kirk at tynecastle and got away with it.

My first thought was Austin McCann, my second Glyn Snodin.

George Wright scored a belter against Bologna, I think?

Remember Gary Glen scoring a lovely composed finish against the vermin late on to win two-nil. Might've been a cup game?

Thought at the time we'd finally found the new Robbo!

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

big Ian Ferguson scored a cracker against Hibs about 1992?

"What an arrival!"

7 hours ago, martoon said:

Dennis McQuade. 

Spectacular goals v. Aberdeen and Hibs in 1978.

Thats the one v Hibs I was going to mention. Think it’s on YouTube. 

It was an odd early kick off time for those days (can’t remember why) and saw McQuade in the Baillie Bar after the game ... the goal was shown on the telly and the place went wild. 

1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

That game came up on a thread a while back. I was there. We could have all travelled there together on an LRT double decker. ;)

14 minutes ago, jambovambo said:

Thats the one v Hibs I was going to mention. Think it’s on YouTube. 

It was an odd early kick off time for those days (can’t remember why) and saw McQuade in the Baillie Bar after the game ... the goal was shown on the telly and the place went wild. 

I was only ten and wasn't at the game but I do recall my dad coming back and he was buzzing. No real memory of the 4-1 in '73 so it was the first derby win I'd known. 

Hibs didn't win all the derbies in the '70's but, feck me, it felt like it.  

1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

Remember Gary Glen scoring a lovely composed finish against the vermin late on to win two-nil. Might've been a cup game?

Thought at the time we'd finally found the new Robbo!

Squad number 51 as well :jjyay:

2pm k.o. - in November - Hobos having problems with their world-changing floodlights ?

Anyone remember why it was an early k.o. ?

57 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

big Ian Ferguson scored a cracker against Hibs about 1992?

The most pi55ed I've ever been at a game. Late evening kick off on New Years day and we arrived late to find the McLeod Street turnstiles closed. Waved my ticket about like a disgruntled Rab C. and a policeman said we could go to the main stand and get in.

He also said if there wasn't a closed gate between me and him, I'd be lifted. 

Great finish by big Ian. :smile:

11 minutes ago, martoon said:

The most pi55ed I've ever been at a game. Late evening kick off on New Years day and we arrived late to find the McLeod Street turnstiles closed. Waved my ticket about like a disgruntled Rab C. and a policeman said we could go to the main stand and get in.

He also said if there wasn't a closed gate between me and him, I'd be lifted. 

Great finish by big Ian. :smile:

I remember Hibs getting a soft penalty that little dwarf Weir fell over the ball and the ref couldn’t wait to give them it! 

3 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

I remember Hibs getting a soft penalty that little dwarf Weir fell over the ball and the ref couldn’t wait to give them it! 

He did that in their League Cup final too. Not a dive, as such, more just tripping over his lack of ability. :smile:

Dont know if these two qualify for the remit of this thread.

Jamie Macdonalds performance on the same night as stevos goal against hibs.

That night was one of my favourite victories against them.

Bubbling with confidence they were.

And the Hearts support rock easter road that night.

22 minutes ago, martoon said:

He did that in their League Cup final too. Not a dive, as such, more just tripping over his lack of ability. :smile:

He stumbled Mart cos his wee bent erky wis sore.

Simple as that.

Brian Hamilton against Motherwell on the last day of 1994/95. Very important strike as anything less than 3 points would have put us in the playoff. The slightly more spectacular John Robertson sealed it with a penalty late on.

3 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Brian Hamilton against Motherwell on the last day of 1994/95. Very important strike as anything less than 3 points would have put us in the playoff. The slightly more spectacular John Robertson sealed it with a penalty late on.

As of course he would. :notworthy:

sport-football-pic-22nd-february-1986-sc

32 minutes ago, jake said:

That game had it all.

Hibs were so sure they were going to win. Battered us senseless for half an hour without scoring. Stevos screamer. Then the rest of the game passing by in slow motion.

Then the hibs protest forcing out Fenlon, ultimately bringing in Butcher.

I like to think of it as the 'real' relegation derby.

55 minutes ago, jake said:

As mentioned elsewhere, the Mrs got me flights and a ticket for my birthday. Like everyone else I went with hope rather than expectation due to our humpty form, but

What. A. Night.

Jamie Mac was so good I remember incredulously laughing at a couple of his saves, just brilliant

Another I can think of v Hibs was David Smith's mazy run from the left and goal at ER. Never did much of note for us but for that moment alone I salute him. Skinned 3 or 4 boys and his shot rebounded off keeper before he slotted it away. Think it even deflected in off a Hobo lol

8 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Big Dave's laudrop esk jaunt and  1-2 in the 4- 2 game. Not an average player but a surprising moment.

He strolled out of defence as he normally did, bypassing two rangers midfielder's, but instead of stopping there he played a 1-2 , hit the byline and cut it back .

Scenes.

Willie v Celtic, he rifled it in from about 30 yards.

Austin v Celtic.

Fozzy on the fence, not for me I was always sure he'd score that....

Jack Hamilton v miller, bad touch, then skinned him!

I have vague memories of this happening, except didn't he clumsily run the ball out of play after all the good work? Or am I thinking of another incident? I definitely remember donkey, skills on the right wing and general hilarity!

Willie Jamieson's last minute goal at home to Celtic.

Scott Robinson's last minute goal to put us into positive points away in Dingwall.

Boyack's challenge on John O'Neill.

Jamie Hamill "accidentally" bumping into Derek Adams.

53 minutes ago, Morgan said:

As of course he would. :notworthy:

sport-football-pic-22nd-february-1986-sc

Superb pic. 

Don't recall seeing it before, but I reckon Robbo has just scored. ;)

3 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

When Neil Berry snapped Paul Wright...

Careful D4, they still whine and greet about that to this day.  

You could start a 1k+ post thread on .nut with that that kind of provocative statement. :lol::HeartsManspotrun:

millerjames398

Stevie frails equalizer at darkhead 93 or 94 we were 2 down I think J.C got our 1st goal a half volley past Carl muggleton...up till the last 10 minutes or so it looked like another defeat at that shithole, absolute bedlam from the few hundred that travelled through :thumbsup:

Darren Barr's cup final goal and Robbie Neilson's Basle goal stand out for rarity value and importance.

Neil Berry hitting the bar in the 86 final with a cracking shot that could have put us back in it.

Graham Weir in the 4-4 game. Don't remember a single other thing he did.

Also Mike Galloway's whole Hearts career kind of falls into this category. He was supposed to be this hard man midfielder when he arrived and then he scored a cracker at Ibrox and almost got another in that game with a flying volley. I vaguely remember another great volley type goal or nearly goal vs Celtic I think. Then there was all his European goals. Weird how great he was for us out of nowhere.

7 hours ago, ManMoth said:

I have vague memories of this happening, except didn't he clumsily run the ball out of play after all the good work? Or am I thinking of another incident? I definitely remember donkey, skills on the right wing and general hilarity!

Nooooo he cut it back for Kevin Thomas I'm sure it was who tucked it away :)

Forgot he was actually on the score sheet that night too. What a game that was :)

7 hours ago, martoon said:

Careful D4, they still whine and greet about that to this day.  

You could start a 1k+ post thread on .nut with that that kind of provocative statement. :lol::HeartsManspotrun:

:D

1 hour ago, Erik said:

Nooooo he cut it back for Kevin Thomas I'm sure it was who tucked it away :)

Forgot he was actually on the score sheet that night too. What a game that was :)

:laugh: brilliant

I remember a cup game at Celtic park, think it was probably the last time we won, Michael Stewart's awful penalty that was nearly saved, putting us one nil up, scenes!!!

Also if I remember rightly Nade scoring an absolute raker against St Johnstone at tynie.

Lee Wallace with an outstanding lob from about 30 yards just in front of the wheatfield aswell?

12 hours ago, martoon said:

Superb pic. 

Don't recall seeing it before, but I reckon Robbo has just scored. ;)

He had.

He was quite good at it.

Has to be Austin Mccann, I remember thinking oh no when he went to shoot.

The added bonus about that goal is that for all Celtic’s moaning about Dunfermline not trying in the final game v Rangers it was that goal by Mccann which actually cost them the title! 

:jj:

6 minutes ago, TurboT said:

Has to be Austin Mccann, I remember thinking oh no when he went to shoot.

The added bonus about that goal is that for all Celtic’s moaning about Dunfermline not trying in the final game v Rangers it was that goal by Mccann which actually cost them the title! 

:jj:

:jjyay:

Archived