The Texaco Cup

stuart500

My dad used to go to a lot of the away games back then , he said the Motherwell game was incredible , never seen a crowd like it and he'd been following Hearts since the 50s heydays. 

I went to both legs of the final . First leg was a beautiful night and I can still remember thinking Wolves were giants compared to the stature of Hearts players. They won comfortably but the 2nd leg was a different affair and I remember being massively disappointed in the end after travelling down without much hope. The city was a bit of a shock compared to Edinburgh. It was and still is a shit hole full of racists. Post match was utter mayhem , pitch invasion, real bad fights springing up everywhere. One place I was glad to leave.  I have to say that Wolves team was a fine team (Burnley was a very good side too on 70-71)  , they got to the UEFA cup final two years later. By far  the best team Hearts  ever played in that tournament. I mind of seeing Fulham at Tynecastle with Bobby Moore but not sure if George best was playing at the time. 

Burnley and Wolves were indeed good teams.

Ralph Coates, Derek Dougan, John Richards, one of the Hibbitt brothers, George Berry etc.etc.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
avhudtheteeshirt

I remember all the games at Tynie, but what always got me was when an English team rolled up they always looked massive against our players.

The last game we had against Tottenham at Tynecastle, when the players were coming down the tunnel you could see the difference in the size and physicality between their's and our players.

Defoe was as big as our centre half and he was a pygmy in their line up. 

Though this is a Texaco cup thread, does anyone remember the last few years before it? When Hibs were in Europe and we could only dream about it. When loads of jambos would go to their games wearing our colours. Games v Liverpool and Leeds especially. I still pinch myself to check it really happened. Absolute madness.

Montgomery Brewster

My dad used to go to a lot of the away games back then , he said the Motherwell game was incredible , never seen a crowd like it and he'd been following Hearts since the 50s heydays.

I went to both legs of the final . First leg was a beautiful night and I can still remember thinking Wolves were giants compared to the stature of Hearts players. They won comfortably but the 2nd leg was a different affair and I remember being massively disappointed in the end after travelling down without much hope. The city was a bit of a shock compared to Edinburgh. It was and still is a shit hole full of racists. Post match was utter mayhem , pitch invasion, real bad fights springing up everywhere. One place I was glad to leave. I have to say that Wolves team was a fine team (Burnley was a very good side too on 70-71) , they got to the UEFA cup final two years later. By far the best team Hearts ever played in that tournament. I mind of seeing Fulham at Tynecastle with Bobby Moore but not sure if George best was playing at the time.

We played Fulham in 75. Best went to Fulham in 76

McPherson??????

Kiwi's a good poster Thomaso but you're right with the scorer being MacDonald. Just checked on London Hearts.

Kiwi's a good poster Thomaso but you're right with the scorer being MacDonald. Just checked on London Hearts.

I thought he was referring to Hearts scorer as I couldn't remember who scored for us.

I thought he was referring to Hearts scorer as I couldn't remember who scored for us.

Alan Anderson, my very first Hearts hero as he scored the first goal I ever saw in the flesh at Tynie

Alan Anderson, my very first Hearts hero as he scored the first goal I ever saw in the flesh at Tynie

Ah now I remember. Big Alan was a great servant to our Club and a fine centre half that deserved more out of the game in terms of medals and caps.

Ah now I remember. Big Alan was a great servant to our Club and a fine centre half that deserved more out of the game in terms of medals and caps.

He sure was. Funny that although the teams of that era weren't too clever we still had a fair few players who were the biz. Anderson, Jensen, Moller, Ford, Townsend, Thompson, Busby etc all played in not too great teams but those of us who remember them will never have a bad word said against them. Many more that I haven't named.

Burnley and Wolves were indeed good teams.

Ralph Coates, Derek Dougan, John Richards, one of the Hibbitt brothers, George Berry etc.etc.

George Berry was later Morgan. I think Willie Carr played for Wolves before he played for Coventry or vice versa.

Those days were brill.I can rhyme the six at the back.I know the forwards but they just don't go in order if you get my drift.Cruikshank,Shevlane ,Holt,Anderson,Thompson,Higgins.

Those days were brill.I can rhyme the six at the back.I know the forwards but they just don't go in order if you get my drift.Cruikshank,Shevlane ,Holt,Anderson,Thompson,Higgins.

i know it's not texaco cup but it just got me thinking

Though this is a Texaco cup thread, does anyone remember the last few years before it? When Hibs were in Europe and we could only dream about it. When loads of jambos would go to their games wearing our colours. Games v Liverpool and Leeds especially. I still pinch myself to check it really happened. Absolute madness.

My dad used to go to Hibs Euro away games - he was at Leeds & Liverpool with our family from the "dark side". 

I was at the Leeds game when Hibs ripped them a new arsehole but went out on penalties. Massive crowd at Easter Rd - biggest I've ever seen there and IMO , obviously deliberately understated. There was a big outcry about Hibs  jacking up the admission prices. 

He sure was. Funny that although the teams of that era weren't too clever we still had a fair few players who were the biz. Anderson, Jensen, Moller, Ford, Townsend, Thompson, Busby etc all played in not too great teams but those of us who remember them will never have a bad word said against them. Many more that I haven't named.

Jim Townsend was a silky footballer - his career was shattered by a broken leg at Brockville after a shocker of a tackle!!!!

Neilson's Shank

Motherwell game, was that not a Tuesday night ? I remember bricks getting thrown at us at the train station after the game. I must have told some awfy porkies to my folks to get to go through there on a school night, I'd only be 14 at the time

Memory playing tricks but we're the police with dogs not rampaging over the terracing?

Memory playing tricks but we're the police with dogs not rampaging over the terracing?

I remember a massive sway before the game where a fan being arrested seemed to go from the top of the terracing (opposite main stand) to the bottom in one movement, and dogs were involved.

Quite a crush. Dull, boring game until the last minute.

What's the matter mate, sister shagging yer dad tonight?

What's the matter mate, sister shagging yer dad tonight?

What a on earth is that meant to be about. Hearts fans did go to Hibs euro ties to cause trouble. I have seldom seen such an inane comment and can only assume a brain fart took place.

What a on earth is that meant to be about. Hearts fans did go to Hibs euro ties to cause trouble. I have seldom seen such an inane comment and can only assume a brain fart took place.

They did indeed.

I actually went to a few of Hibs UEFA Cup games with a neighbour of ours when I was just a wee boy.

He was trying to convert me I think!

Hearts fans did not go to cause trouble - the bitterness between the Clubs was no where near as bad is it is now!

My old dad was a real Hearts man, however he liked his football so when Leeds, Liverpool, etc, came calling at ER he took me along to the games - not supporting Hibs mind!

Hearts fans did not go to cause trouble - the bitterness between the Clubs was no where near as bad is it is now!

My old dad was a real Hearts man, however he liked his football so when Leeds, Liverpool, etc, came calling at ER he took me along to the games - not supporting Hibs mind!

i would agree,the bitterness was not as bad.I saw a pretty well known Liverpool side there.And Iirc I saw Billy Bremner score there.I could have been after the old 3 steps rule for the goalkeeper .

I remember the Fulham match at Tynie., the anglo Scottish cup. There team bus got it's windows put in at the corner of Mcleod street. Just where the Prison club is now.

If you've got 16 posts and you come on slavering about how great the the wee team were, there's a fair chance you've got webbed feet and three arseholes.

I remember the Fulham match at Tynie., the anglo Scottish cup. There team bus got it's windows put in at the corner of Mcleod street. Just where the Prison club is now.

That did happen, bloody ooligans

I don't remember trouble at these games either.

I remember being dragged along to the Hibs v Napoli game at Fester. My auld man and a couple of Hibby neighbours took me. Checking back it appears this game was in 1967 so I would have been 11. Hibs destroyed them 5 nil but I just remember it being a horrible experience. I remember my dad telling me how big the terracing was compared to Tynecastle. To be fair the east terracing was pretty huge but I felt no love for the place.I was willing on Napoli to score and the highlight of the night was seeing a guy proudly wearing a Hearts scarf standing just behind me.

We stood right down the front at the Dunbar end and yes the ground seemed to be mobbed so I am assuming there were quite a few Jambos there.

On checking the official attendance it's given as 21000, which is actually pretty poor considering the neutral fans. Then again we are talking about the wee team.

I think my auld boy realised that night that even a fantastic performance and result for Hibs had no chance of me changing allegiance to that shitey horrible snot-rag of a club.

Edit. As Morgan says above, I saw no evidence of any trouble at that particular game involving Hearts fans.

My dad used to go to Hibs Euro away games - he was at Leeds & Liverpool with our family from the "dark side". 

I was at the Leeds game when Hibs ripped them a new arsehole but went out on penalties. Massive crowd at Easter Rd - biggest I've ever seen there and IMO , obviously deliberately understated. There was a big outcry about Hibs  jacking up the admission prices. 

Sure Hibs were the first Top club to take away the Childs gate they can add that to there floodlights

I remember being dragged along to the Hibs v Napoli game at Fester. My auld man and a couple of Hibby neighbours took me. Checking back it appears this game was in 1967 so I would have been 11. Hibs destroyed them 5 nil but I just remember it being a horrible experience. I remember my dad telling me how big the terracing was compared to Tynecastle. To be fair the east terracing was pretty huge but I felt no love for the place.I was willing on Napoli to score and the highlight of the night was seeing a guy proudly wearing a Hearts scarf standing just behind me.

We stood right down the front at the Dunbar end and yes the ground seemed to be mobbed so I am assuming there were quite a few Jambos there.

On checking the official attendance it's given as 21000, which is actually pretty poor considering the neutral fans. Then again we are talking about the wee team.

I think my auld boy realised that night that even a fantastic performance and result for Hibs had no chance of me changing allegiance to that shitey horrible snot-rag of a club.

Edit. As Morgan says above, I saw no evidence of any trouble at that particular game involving Hearts fans.

The games I was taken to when I was wee were against the likes of Hadjuk Split around 1973/74/75.

Not a chance I was going to be changed into a Hibby though!!

The games I was taken to when I was wee were against the likes of Hadjuk Split around 1973/74/75.

Not a chance I was going to be changed into a Hibby though!!

Worst form of child abuse in my opinion. Imagine being forced to support Hibernian!

Worst form of child abuse in my opinion. Imagine being forced to support Hibernian!

Correct.

I'd rather be slapped about the chops with a wet fish.

Totally agree my Grandad used to take me to all the big games, I remember sitting in the in centre stand at ER with them winning  2-1 against Sellik, with six minutes to go and Jock Stein who IMO was the best Scottish manager of all time, decided to sub Bobby Lennox and put on 'Yogi' Hughes who proceded to rip the Vermin apart and Sellik won 5-2.

Sorry really off topic.This thread suits me cos I believe most here are old Hearts supporters.We got stuffed today,it hurts as much as it did 50 years ago.But there's always next week.

Sorry really off topic.This thread suits me cos I believe most here are old Hearts supporters.We got stuffed today,it hurts as much as it did 50 years ago.But there's always next week.

It's becoming the norm now though mate.

Funnily enough Norrie it went through my head on seeing the final score that it hasn't got any easier over all the years supporting the mighty jambos. But we are all still here almost half a century later.

So (with a little guidance from Morgan) I give you a double thumbs up.

:2thumbsup:

Funnily enough Norrie it went through my head on seeing the final score that it hasn't got any easier over all the years supporting the mighty jambos. But we are all still here almost half a century later.

glad we're all still here bud.respect.

Grand - the nostalgia site. Love it. I have just started posting as I have been recently reminded but saw my first game in 1963. What I say is the truth as I remember it. Hearts fans did cause trouble at Hibs games and did wear our colours. The George Best game was one of many. Today's game should have been a draw but wasn't- we go on to Dingwall. Being a Jambo is many things and something to pass on as I have to my son and grandkids. Be proud and onwards and upwards.

Cheers mate!

Archived