The Texaco Cup

stuart500

Donald Ford'S Fir Park winner. Did he not nearly burst the net with it?

I think you maybe thinking of his goal in the 1st leg at Tynecastle. A great shot, high into the net, from outside the box.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you maybe thinking of his goal in the 1st leg at Tynecastle. A great shot, high into the net, from outside the box.

Was at Fir park that night. Great night/atmosphere/result.

Smashed that one in at the Gorgie end.

I'm sure there was a crowd in excess of 29,000 at the first leg of the final against Wolves. Donald Ford put Hearts a goal up but Wolves eventually ran out 3 - 1 winners. The following season Hearts beat Newcastle 1 - 0 at Tynecastle and were drawing 0-0 at St James's Park until Newcastle scored in the last minute. I think Newcastle went onto win 2-1 after extra time. I had my scarf stolen at St James' Park and as far as I remember there was quite a bit of crowd trouble at that game. After the game a guy stole my Hearts woollen hat (I was 10 years old at the time) and ran onto a bus, not expecting my faither to breenge on after him and give him a doing before emerging with my hat! I have had a strong dislike of Newcastle Utd ever since.

I was there at old St James Park - must have been around 8,000 Hearts fans there.  Malcolm MacDonald scored a late goal that was 5 yards off side which was the cue for a bit of bother and a mini crowd invasion.  That took it to extra time - MacDonald scored again, then so did we (can't remember who scored) to make it 2-2 on aggregate - and we lost 4-3 on penalties.

All the Geordies round about us all admitted we were robbed that night!

I was there at old St James Park - must have been around 8,000 Hearts fans there.  Malcolm MacDonald scored a late goal that was 5 yards off side which was the cue for a bit of bother and a mini crowd invasion.  That took it to extra time - MacDonald scored again, then so did we (can't remember who scored) to make it 2-2 on aggregate - and we lost 4-3 on penalties.

You are absolutely right we went out on penalties.

I was 6th year at Penicuik High and a prefect to boot and was one of loads who mysteriously disappeared at lunch time that day. The headmaster at Assembly the next day tore right into us but with a twinkle in his eye. I think he knew the score. The battles during and after that game were incredible. Hearts spray painting was everywhere. The laugh was they had just cleaned the place up from a visit by Rangers the previous year.

Airdrie away 0-5 was another 'joyous' occasion!! Cold night night with dozens of supporters buses heading back east with 'nae windaes'!!

Is there any footage of these games ?

There is footage of Motherwell away on you tube, don't have time to look for it now.

Mid Calder Jambo

Airdrie away 0-5 was another 'joyous' occasion!! Cold night night with dozens of supporters buses heading back east with 'nae windaes'!!

Airdrie was famous for that.  Up that hill to the traffic lights on the ventilated Eastern Scottish

Is there any footage of these games ?

The 2nd leg, semi final highlights v Motherwell was on BBC, the final first leg highlights v Wolves was on midweek Scotsport, the second leg at Molineaux had highlights on Sportsnight on BBC 1

The goals from Fir Park were on YouTube for a while, seem to have disappeared

I was at the 5-0 game at Airdrie with the Penicuik bus, when we got back to the bus the only window that wasn't smashed was the windscreen, cold journey home that night, happy days

I was 9 yr old and  remember the invasion.. If my memory serves me right we were in a Kids Pen and I, my bro/pals ran towards where our elders were further away.It was a long time ago

Also seen a Hearts fan with a sword how big it was whay kens but I sure seen him with it

I may add I spoke Cruicky about 6 yrs later .. he said he had never seen such poor refereeing in his time  and we were pure and simply robbed that night

Newcastle won it one year, retained it the next and have kept it since the compo was stopped! So when folk say the cupboards are bare at st James I say well we've sure retained the texaco cup forever. I've seen the clips of hearts and Newcastle games and it always seemed high excitement, that clip of bobby prentice running through the Dundee defence just pure brilliant

Once was chatting with Ian Sneddon about that game and he spoke about Wagstaffe running the show that night (I was there but too young to remember).

He said a drunk fan ran on the park, booted Wagstaffe up the arse, and shouted at Sneddon that's what he should have been doing :-) Again, too young to remember.

Dont remember that,but I was a nipper.

I remember Tommy Gemmill playing for either Sellik or Scotland and him running across the park and kicking I think a German up the 'chorus and verse' and then being red carded, I was pissing myself laughing.

I will have to investigate that one.

I remember Tommy Gemmill playing for either Sellik or Scotland and him running across the park and kicking I think a German up the 'chorus and verse' and then being red carded, I was pissing myself laughing.

Scotland v West Germany in a World Cup qualifier. Helmut Haller had a sly kick at Gemmell and Tommy chased him 20 yards up the park and blootered him up the arse!!!!

Classic!

Naw thats a fact and there is footage

TG did a better one in South America which is also  on line

The battle was that bad that celtic players swapped shirts at the end ..though TBF it was mental

Shanks said no

I was 9 yr old and  remember the invasion.. If my memory serves me right we were in a Kids Pen and I, my bro/pals ran towards where our elders were further away.It was a long time ago

Also seen a Hearts fan with a sword how big it was whay kens but I sure seen him with it

Amazed it took 65 posts for the sword to be mentioned.

Newcastle skinheads - called Scotswood aggro - were out for bother and certainly got it. They came round the Gallowgate end and were chased back. Hearts goal was scored by Neil Murray (otherwise " Ruby").

Ifirc an old school friend of mine played in the texaco cup times.Brian Laing,at school we called him bronco.

He could bang in a goal or two. Think he might have got about 20 against Cowdenbeath one day.

Wolves were a top side at the time, reached the UEFA cup final the season after.

Derek Dougan and John Richards up front I think?

Aye and Kenny Hibbit on the wing.

Yep.

Sure he had a brother that played professional too.

Maybe Newcastle?

Shanks said no

Were you there ?? and seen it  as well ??

no I was too young to go but have heard the sword (and axe ) story many times over the years.

1974 - Oldham (away) we chased them (and chased them [and chased them]) round the terraces singing, "we are the Gorgie Boot Boys"!!

Actually all very civilised (??), being a Hearts fan was similar to being a missionary, it was all about education!!

Probably the peak of the Oldham education system!!!

It's incredible to think the Wolves final was FORTY SIX years ago.

The 1970's was a pretty dismal time to be a Jambo but how fantastic so many of us on here have survived to see much better days now.

Tragically the school chum I went to Fir Park with was killed in a road accident about 15 years ago. He was a great wee lad and I think I still owe him a macaroon bar from that night in Motherwell.

It's incredible to think the Wolves final was FORTY SIX years ago.

The 1970's was a pretty dismal time to be a Jambo but how fantastic so many of us on here have survived to see much better days now.

Tragically the school chum I went to Fir Park with was killed in a road accident about 15 years ago. He was a great wee lad and I think I still owe him a macaroon bar from that night in Motherwell.

FORTY SIX YEARS ........

Incredible, just seems like yesterday, well perhaps 20 years before yesterday!! Where has time gone? These were certainly character forming years for us Hearts fans back then!

The Texaco Cup was a little ray of sunshine and excitement in these dreich years!!

FORTY SIX YEARS ........

Incredible, just seems like yesterday, well perhaps 20 years before yesterday!! Where has time gone? These were certainly character forming years for us Hearts fans back then!

The Texaco Cup was a little ray of sunshine and excitement in these dreich years!!

The only good thing about the 70's for me was discovering the pleasures of alcohol and sex. The fitba was pish. :lol:

The only good thing about the 70's for me was discovering the pleasures of alcohol and sex. The fitba was pish. :lol:

Where did you discover that? There was very little of either in Bruntsfield where I lived.

Loads of the former but none of the latter for several years!!

Motherwell game, was that not a Tuesday night ? I remember bricks getting thrown at us at the train station after the game. I must have told some awfy porkies to my folks to get to go through there on a school night, I'd only be 14 at the time

no I was too young to go but have heard the sword (and axe ) story many times over the years.

Dont  know about the Axe but I have no reason to lie about what I seen

Loads of the former but none of the latter for several years!!

Haha that's true. It was far more easy to get served than serviced!!

I remember buying a packet of three when I was 16 and worrying I wouldn't finish the packet before their 5 year expiry date was up!

Pure red pus having to go into a chemist and buy them over the counter as well. :lol:

Think I've still got one left....

Motherwell game, was that not a Tuesday night ? I remember bricks getting thrown at us at the train station after the game. I must have told some awfy porkies to my folks to get to go through there on a school night, I'd only be 14 at the time

Same age as me and I was only allowed to go, because my older brother and his mate were going.

Unfortunately I somehow got separated from them when the train got to Motherwell.

Fortunately though I bumped into a mate from school who had gone through on his own so we went to the game together.

At the end we got back down to the station sharpish and were near the front of the queue.

Train took ages to get back to Waverley but no sign of my brother anywhere.

To this day I have no idea how he got back to Edinburgh before me but he had had to go home and admit he had "lost me".

My auld man had immediately set off to find me and knew I had no money so would be walking home from the station. I can still picture him charging up the road towards me at what must have been around one in the morning.

Course my brother had blamed me for wandering off and I was grounded from away games for the next couple of years.

My auld man still took me to the final though at Tynie but no chance of getting down to Wolves!

Really busy on the Motherwell night trying to get to the turnstile(no tickets those days).Because of this two guys started fighting.Over in seconds.These days there would probably been a thread about it.As a previous poster said 46 years.Im glad so many of us are still about to remember those times in our youth.

Cracking thread this bringing back a few early memories. Was at a few of the games mentioned above inc home leg against Wolves in 71. Did a bit of research into the tourney on the back of this and it shows how much closer the top leagues in Scotland and England were before the mega bucks kicked in. The season after we made the final, Airdrie got to the final where they were narrowly defeated over 2 legs by Derby County 2-1 on aggregate.

That was the season Derby under Brian Clough won the first of their two league titles! Full results of all matches played in the Texaco and the Anglo-Scottish cup can be found here:

http://www.rsssf.com/tablest/texacohist.html#71

I never missed a game in the Texaco Cup

Loved the tournament.Some fantastic games and scenes

A tumble down the Wolves terracing followed by a pitch invasion. You would have thought we had won the Cup

Bit hairy outside afterwards mined

Great times to follow the Hearts ????

McPherson with the heid I think.

I was there with mates who were studying PE at Durham teachers' college

They told me Leazes mob were the NU main bunch of happy chappies and it was full on all night with Hearts equivalent

Best

TW

My dad used to go to a lot of the away games back then , he said the Motherwell game was incredible , never seen a crowd like it and he'd been following Hearts since the 50s heydays. 

I went to both legs of the final . First leg was a beautiful night and I can still remember thinking Wolves were giants compared to the stature of Hearts players. They won comfortably but the 2nd leg was a different affair and I remember being massively disappointed in the end after travelling down without much hope. The city was a bit of a shock compared to Edinburgh. It was and still is a shit hole full of racists. Post match was utter mayhem , pitch invasion, real bad fights springing up everywhere. One place I was glad to leave.  I have to say that Wolves team was a fine team (Burnley was a very good side too on 70-71)  , they got to the UEFA cup final two years later. By far  the best team Hearts  ever played in that tournament. I mind of seeing Fulham at Tynecastle with Bobby Moore but not sure if George best was playing at the time. 

Archived