Celtic in the Champions League

Sten Guns

The Old Tolbooth

I agree, John, and have been alluding to this throughout the thread.

The money side of of football is here to stay unfortunately; by that, I mean huge sponsors and TV running the show.

There's no good outcome for a country our size but i'd rather be in it than hoping our teams fail.

I agree with an earlier post about the future being unwritten. I'm...just about....optimistic that we, as a club, can grow to re-enter that arena and have some more great nights in Europe.

It may need a re-structure of our calendar to make that happen however.

As much as I'd like to see it, sadly I just can't see it happening, the halcyon days of the countries I mentioned are pretty much dead now, and the best we can hope for is to get to the final qualifying round where we might land another Spurs or Liverpool type tie (i.e. a brick wall), depressing isn't it? 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
doctor jambo

Or they could just do what we had to do and follow your team, knowing there was little chance of winning a league but still dreaming of it after a few close calls.

its an increasingly big ask.

At least at Hearts - and I'm from a Hearts family- and being born in '76 I watched a good Hearts side in my formative years, so by the time they fell away I was hooked.

We need the kids in Motherwell, Kilmarnock ,Dundee to follow their local teams

Success on the pitch = full stadia

Crap on the pitch= falling attendance

If one of my boys marries a Celtic fan and they have kids- who, realistically would the kid be better off following?

CEltic to watch them vs Barcelona, Juventus and Inter and lifting the league

Or us being pumped by minnows and never lifting a league title?

The Continental Op

Everyone on here wants Scottish clubs to crash and burn in Europe. I for one am happy they made it. I want Scottish clubs competing in Europe. The more points Celtic pick up helps the Co-efficienct which every other Scottish team (ourselves included) manage to destroy by going out in early rounds.

For Scottish clubs to advance to the next step up would mean advancing to 17th place from our current 23rd place, overtaking countries like Denmark and Poland.

If happened principally due to Celtic success, they would need to win approx 3 more matches for the next 4 seasons than they currently average in the group stages.

This would bring them approx ?40 million more in prize money, maybe ?15 million market pool TV money, 4 more matches at home and who knows how much extra hospitality and sponsorship revenue, i.e. probably ?100 million over 4 seasons more than they currently might expect to make - that's not going to help the rest of Scotland's clubs.

We are where we deserve to be considering the management and financial distribution income of Scottish football.

Seymour M Hersh

I remember years ago one of the old chaps I used to go to games with stated how upset the media were with us and how bad it was for the game in Scotland when Hearts won the league in February or there abouts. 57/58? 

Seymour M Hersh

At least at Hearts - and I'm from a Hearts family- and being born in '76 I watched a good Hearts side in my formative years, so by the time they fell away I was hooked.

If one of my boys marries a Celtic fan and they have kids- who, realistically would the kid be better off following?

That's a no brainer. You are never better off being a glory hunting sectarian .

jack D and coke

That's a no brainer. You are never better off being a glory hunting sectarian ######.

Kids don't know about the sectarian stuff though do they they see the big names on tv.

Its attending the games as you get older that does that. I became a bigot after attending tynecastle in my early teens. Id no idea what that stuff was all about but a few seasons in the shed and I was mad for it.

As much as I'd like to see it, sadly I just can't see it happening, the halcyon days of the countries I mentioned are pretty much dead now, and the best we can hope for is to get to the final qualifying round where we might land another Spurs or Liverpool type tie (i.e. a brick wall), depressing isn't it?

It is but let's see where we are in 3-5 years !

I don't think the question is, who would they be better off following but who takes them to the footie when they're nippers.

I don't think the question is, who would they be better off following but who takes them to the footie when they're nippers.

luckyBatistuta

its an increasingly big ask.At least at Hearts - and I'm from a Hearts family- and being born in '76 I watched a good Hearts side in my formative years, so by the time they fell away I was hooked.We need the kids in Motherwell, Kilmarnock ,Dundee to follow their local teamsSuccess on the pitch = full stadiaCrap on the pitch= falling attendanceIf one of my boys marries a Celtic fan and they have kids- who, realistically would the kid be better off following?CEltic to watch them vs Barcelona, Juventus and Inter and lifting the leagueOr us being pumped by minnows and never lifting a league title?

Celtic fans will never get to experience the true emotion of winning a trophy with their club. When we won in 98, everywhere I looked, there were Hearts fans crying there eyes out, because they understood and felt the importance of winning, as these things don't happen as often as we'd like them too. How many times have you seen emotion like that in a Celtic end? They have fans who leave the stadium before they've even seen them lift the cup, what's that all about?

Draw at 5pm...

Probably hardest group draw...

Bayern Munich

Barcelona

Tottenham

Easiest........

Shaktar Donetsk

Porto

Anderlecht

Shanks said no

hope they get Chelsea

Agreed, I want them to get teams who kick their supporters up and down the streets

Pot 3 has Napoli, Roma, Spurs and Liverpool.

Good grief !

Pot 3 are the teams expected to come third, and then enter the Europa league after Christmas. Most of these third pot teams expected to win a couple of ties in the Europa. Another ?5-?10 million.

I can see this as Celtics target, third place in group, then Europa in January...

Bowmans_Boot

Id like to see them getting Chelsea, would be interesting.

Celtic being in the CL is good for the profile of Scottish football, but not for Scottish football itself, imo.

Pot 3 are the teams expected to come third, and then enter the Europa league after Christmas. Most of these third pot teams expected to win a couple of ties in the Europa. Another ?5-?10 million.

I can see this as Celtics target, third place in group, then Europa in January...

Napoli are a great team. My pick to win it.

That would get it up a few of the elite !

The Treasurer

Can't believe there are still people who actually believe that a proper "draw" takes place for this farce of a so-called "competition".

Can't believe there are still people who actually believe that a proper "draw" takes place for this farce of a so-called "competition".

Who said they did ?

The fact there are four pots tells you....tells everyone....that.

We're all very aware of what's going on, mate !

Seymour M Hersh

Kids don't know about the sectarian stuff though do they they see the big names on tv.

Its attending the games as you get older that does that. I became a bigot after attending tynecastle in my early teens. Id no idea what that stuff was all about but a few seasons in the shed and I was mad for it.

You're possibly correct but they should still be steered in the opposite direction to both cheeks by their parents.

Ooooft Spurs don't get much luck in this thing do they!  Real Madrid and Dortmund. Pretty glamorous ties for Wembley mind you.

So Chelsea who were last seasons Champions and Spurs who were runners up get significantly more difficult groups than Liverpool who ended 4th and Man Utd who got in the back door.............strange system!!

B for Celtic. 

They'll fancy themselves against Anderlecht but will get their arses felt by Bayern and PSG.

Pretty much the usual scenario for Celtic. A couple of absolute drubbings away from home, probably a couple of defeats at home where they put up some resistance and a 2 legged tie against Anderlecht to decide who drops into the Europa. Both Bayern and PSG have ridiculous attacking options so they could take some very heavy defeats in those games. 

Celtic fans have been fortunate in drawing 3 fairly close to home away ties, in Paris, Munich and Anderlecht.....

I think the Paris ties will tell the tale....

They are not getting out of that group unless PSG or Munich field an unregistered player

Archived