Steve Banks - Worth another season?

Dave 1974

Or should we really be going for something more long term.

Basso? Another keeper entirely?

Banks is a good guy and i'm sure he's good around the club, but he ain't going to get any better and i have my doubts that he'll be up to the job for much longer.

Thoughts.

heartsfc_fan

Banks is good enough - for a season I reckon

Has he ever made a serious error while at Hearts? I don't think he has. You have to remember goalkeepers can play till their 40 quite easily.

A couple of bobblers last season but nothing significant, granted.

'Great' keepers can hold the position until the magical 40, but i don't think Banks is in that category.

We need to find something that can even resemble 75% of Gordon's ability if we are to do anything this season.

heartsfc_fan

Jamie MacDonald is coming back from Queen of the south after a loan, I think he'd be good enough. He's still young and can only learn from Banks.

However, I think the goalkeeping area is the last we need to worry about strengthening. We need a 20+ goals a season striker

However, I think the goalkeeping area is the last we need to worry about strengthening. We need a 20+ goals a season striker

Perhaps not the 'last' area, i think we need to look at every area.

Perhaps not the 'last' area, i think we need to look at every area.

I agree and if we can get some sort of fitness out of Nade and Pinilla then to me a goalie is more important. Banks is finished IMO and i am not sure if JM is good enough.

We need a keeper. While SB didn'tcommit any real howlers last season, there were a few goals I'd have expected him to save thayt he didn't. Free kick against Inverness I think ay home for one.

Not the worst keeper but not the best either.

Not the worst keeper but not the best either.

This is the same for me.

No disrespect to Banksie, but he ain't CG. Not even close. We must aspire to regain something that resembles CG if we are to be taken serious again.

This is the same for me.

No disrespect to Banksie, but he ain't CG. Not even close. We must aspire to regain something that resembles CG if we are to be taken serious again.

After an era of Niemi and Gordon I think it is pretty unlikely that we will get a goalkeeper that good again for decades.

After an era of Niemi and Gordon I think it is pretty unlikely that we will get a goalkeeper that good again for decades.

Yup, that's a genuine worry. but should we really?

We seem to produce or buy very good keepers with great regularity, unlike our city bitches.

Since Cruickie, i can think of only a couple who didn't deserve to be there.

I'm sure we will always be able to produce something special.

Yup, that's a genuine worry. but should we really?

We seem to produce or buy very good keepers with great regularity, unlike our city bitches.

Since Cruickie, i can think of only a couple who didn't deserve to be there.

I'm sure we will always be able to produce something special.

I've only seen the goalkeepers since Henry. And of those I think that Craig is of the highest level - potentially world class. Niemi has obviously been Premiership class. And Rousset/Henry were good goalkeepers.

I think that keepers of the quality of Gilles/Henry are around - but very few of the quality of Anti or Craig.

Dunk-Section G

I rate Banks, but it isnt healthy for a player to 'coach' himself, which he is in effect doing.

steviefrailspants

I'd be happy enough with Banks to remain as first choice keeper for next season with Jamie McDonald as an understudy (& Banks coaching him on the side).

I think what is imperative however is that we stick with one goalkeeper for the majority of the season and should only field another keeper due to injury / suspension. I believe the constant changing of keepers last season (along with centre halves) had a seriously big impact with little or no chance of a decent understanding being formed between keeper and defenders. (Obviously the inept Kurskis had a major effect also !)

Basso looks ok when he screws the nut (remember his save just before half time at ER that prevented us going two down??) but is perhaps a bit error prone (Celtic at home and Killie away).

Banks / McDonald and the other young keeper who's name escapes me at the moment would do for me. If we are to invest any cash in the team (it's a big if) then other areas of the team need looking at (attacking midfielder / striker)

Guest JamboRobbo

Banks - seems a nice guy, good attitude, and may well be a good coach.

As for HMFC goalkeeping position - not good enough going forward. Never has been and never will be anything more than a stop gap.

1 year and 9M quid down the line, we still need to replace Craig Gordon.

I appreciate Wee Banksy is a great lad, and probably a model professional. But The Wee Man just doesn't cut the mustard. He's never played at any level, and it shows. He hates crosses, and if the baw's fired anywhere other than right at him - it's in the string.

To be fair it's not easy for him (playin in front of Neilson all season) and the team had very little shut-outs last year. But you never know, the Wee Man is steady Eddie. Never spectacular, and the right side of *****.

Bunny Munro

Banks is one fantastic save drowned in overall averageness. I very happy he is staying in a coaching role but shouldnt be Number 1.

I only seen JM twice last season (both in cup games) and to me, he doesnt seem quite their yet (and yes, maybe im being harsh as it could be the worst two games he's played, but its all i can go on.

Basso, apart from his first two games (St Middin and Killi) did well. Some may point to a slight error against 'tic at home but all in all I dont think it was too bad.

So for me its Basso, with either Banks or McDonald on the bench.

Unless we sign a newboy.

Guest jambomickey

we need to sign a new goalie in my opinion but keep banks as back up, i don't think banks commands his box well enough.

Another keeper for me.

Banks has been ok but he's hardly top drawer and he's another year older.

Basso is a bombscare and one of a cast of thousands who should be cast out of Heaven when our new manager is appointed (Lol).

kissthebadge
Banks - seems a nice guy, good attitude, and may well be a good coach.

As for HMFC goalkeeping position - not good enough going forward. Never has been and never will be anything more than a stop gap.

1 year and 9M quid down the line, we still need to replace Craig Gordon.

Would be good if he could 'coach' himself not to spoon the ball out of the park from a goal kick!!!

Funnily enough, some of Banks? saves last season were spectacular. The problem was that the defending was spectacularly bad and we conceded in almost every game. Shows how poor a season it was when his spectacular saves were in games against ICT & Gretna instead of against the OF or in the derby.

I?d say give someone else the chance and let Banks help them.

Archived