Weiss watch ( merged threads )

scott herbertson

scott herbertson

Time for a bit of trawling on the net for Mr Weiss.

Here's an interesting 2005 article which gives some insight into the man and his methods

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4156/is_20051016/ai_n15709370

TWELVE years after the rebirth of Slovakia as an independent nation, and the week after the national team clinched a playoff place against Spain, FC Artmedia Bratislava have finally come of age.

The fluctuating ownership patterns of the club that became Artmedia Bratislava would make a fascinating footnote to any 20th century history textbook, but Rangers will encounter a side at Ibrox next week having left its identity crisis behind.

Theirs is a story of continuity as well as change. Remarkably, current coach Vladimir Weiss is now in his tenth year in charge, and in the last 12 months the workaholic has stolidly taken the club to a different kind of uncharted territory.

Having inherited a team languishing in the second division, a first Slovakian league championship, which arrrived last season as part of a league and cup double, was remarkable enough. The series of epic qualifying victories over Kairat Almaty, of Kazakhstan, Celtic, then Partizan Belgrade, which followed, ushered in a new phase of the club's development.

Itall began in 1898, with a group of ethnic Hungarians starting up a football club in the small town of Petrzalka on the banks of the Danube. The team goes by the name of Pozsonyi Torna Egyesulet, but in the course of the next 107 years changes its title no fewer than 13 times.

In 1938, the organisation came under the propriety of Nazi Germany when Petrzalka, but not nearby Bratislava, is annexed during the formation of the six-year Slovak fascist puppet state.

Flash forward to the height of the Cold War, when the local area is notable for its sprawling high-rise concrete towers, or panelaks, to accommodate workers, and the club becomes first Spartak Kovosmalt Bratislava then, when the Soviets formally invade in 1968, Spartak Sklarske stroje Bratislava.

By the time of the so-called Velvet Revolution in 1989, five bridges across the Danube unite Petrzalka with Bratislava, and the club stages a short-lived merger with its more illustrious counterpart Inter Bratislava.

In the rampant capitalist economy of the 90s, the old club re- emerges, rediscovers its Petrzalkan roots, and takes the name of the advertising agency which is its new major sponsor.

Refusing to follow the ignominious and pointless example of the luckless Kosice in 1997-98, the first Champions League points ever gleaned by any Slovakian club duly materialised in a storming second half comeback which saw them shock Porto 3-2 in the Estadio do Dragao.

The team - who went into today's match with MSK Zilina (yes, they've got a Sunday game to deal with as well) second in the Slovakian league to Spartak Trnava - has an annual budget of two million euros, but some clever recruitment sees their squad boast six full internationals and eight under-21 regulars.

Captain Balazs Borbely organises at the back, angular midfielder Jan Kozak is a midfield threat, and up front Juraj Halenar, who scored a hattrick against Celtic, is not sure to start, with the likes of Czech striker Lukas Hartig around.

Weiss, a midfield schemer who ended his playing days in central defence, played alongside Lubomir Moravcik in the Czechoslovakian national side which got to the knockout stages in Italia 90 under Dr Jozef Venglos.

Aside from one season at Sparta Prague, however, he never even played outwith Slovakia. He believes the fact his young team have at least endured that 4-0 second leg defeat at Parkhead will help them at Ibrox.

"The Rangers game is a different match altogether from the one against Celtic, " Weiss told the Sunday Herald last night. "The first match for us against Celtic was fantastic, then the second was very difficult, because they have some fantastic players and some fantastic supporters.

"For us it was a great learning experience, because our players played for the first time in front of 60,000 supporters. At Rangers it will be exactly the same.

"But we have nothing to lose, " he added. "For us it is a fantastic game and I don't see why we can't get another result. Today I can't tell you if the winner of the group will be Inter, Rangers, Porto or Artmedia because it is only the third game. Everything is possible and we will see two weeks later when we play Rangers at home.

"The best Rangers player for me is Dado Prso, [barry] Ferguson the captain is a very good player, and the goalkeeper [Ronald Waterreus] is also good."

Such a bullish frame of mind is shared by general manager Peter Kaspar, even if he thinks Rangers are "a little bit stronger than Celtic". "I think that we can make one point against Rangers at Ibrox, but at home we will win, " Kaspar told the Sunday Herald.

"That is the plan. I think Rangers have a very good quality team and are very good at home, and at this moment, Rangers are a little bit stronger than Celtic.

"The secret of Artmedia has been down to good teamwork, and a good attitude from all the players, " he added. "This autumn has been very positive for the whole of Slovakian football. We have never been as good as this."

Moravcik, whose Ruzomberok side are chasing Artmedia in the league but were beaten 2-1 by them at the end of August, pays testimony to the manager's obsessive approach, and a not insignificant measure of luck.

"For Vladimir, football is almost everything, " Moravcik said. "He was a good player, but unlucky in a way because he never left Slovakia to play in a foreign league. He has sacrificed everything for Artmedia.

"The team are a work in progress and every season they have been getting better and better, and also they have carried a little bit of luck, " the former Celtic playmaker added.

"Beating Celtic 5-0 is not the kind of thing that happens every day, then after the 0-0 draw against Partizan Belgrade, penalties went their way. Everything has been favourable for them so far."

One last warning comes from Venglos. "I was as surprised as anyone when they beat Celtic in the first game, " he said. "But they have maintained a high level of self confidence since then and in the second half of games they always improve because they are physically fit and well prepared."

All those decades after being occupied by Hitler and Stalin, no- one could have predicted the tiny club which began life as Pozsonyi Torna Egyesulet would find itself occupying the minds of Old Firm fans.

Guest jambomickey

hppefully he the guy to take us back where we belong, we gotta get behind him and not judge him before he given a chance. good luck to him.

scott herbertson

http://www.rediff.com/sports/2005/dec/07porto.htm

Porto knocked out of Europe in muddy stalemate

Martyn Herman | December 07, 2005 05:47 IST

Former European Cup winners Porto were dumped out of Europe on Tuesday when they were held 0-0 by Artmedia Bratislava in their final Champions League Group H game on a filthy night in the Slovakian capital.

The Portuguese aristocrats were playing their 100th match in the competition but looked a bedraggled bunch at the final whistle as their hopes of reaching the last 16 were sunk on a night more suited to mud wrestling in the Tehelne Pole stadium.

The few hundred Porto fans huddled together in the cascading rain do not even have the consolation of a place in the UEFA Cup as a draw was sufficient for Artmedia to retain third place.

In truth, Porto were second best against a side trying to become the first from Slovakia to reach the knockout phase of the competition.

The hosts produced a second-half onslaught and missed a hatful of chances that would have given them a famous victory. The fact that Rangers only drew 1-1 in Glasgow with group winners Inter Milan to finish second made it all the more frustrating.

Artmedia coach Vladimir Weiss said: "I thought we made a great effort especially in the second half. I thought we should have had a penalty but I don't want to blame that.

"We were close to our dreams. I'm sad that Rangers went through because I thought we were better than them."

Porto's Dutch coach Co Adriaanse had no complaints, blaming five dropped home points against Artmedia and Rangers as the reason for their embarrassing early exit.

"We lost European football in our home games against Artmedia and Rangers, that's where we lost the points," he said.

"It was difficult to play football because of the pitch. They were physically stronger, they wanted to win, they had more opportunities, they were more dangerous.

"If one team deserved to win tonight it was Artmedia."

NO FEARS

Porto's Argentine striker Lisandro Lopez had the ball in the net for the visitors midway through the half, but the linesman's flag had already gone up for offside.

Gradually Artmedia, who claimed a stunning 3-2 victory in Porto earlier in the group after trailing 2-0, realised they had nothing to fear and took control.

In one hectic spell, Branislav Obzera had his shot smothered by Vitor Baia and the Porto keeper was then called into action to save a shot on the turn by Lukas Hartig.

Porto were in disarray and they had another huge let-off after 64 minutes when substitute Blazej Vascak, on for the injured Hartig, latched on to a pass from Jan Kozak.

As Vascak bore down on goal Baia slid out and missed both ball and player, but with the goal at his mercy Vascak was denied by the clinging mud and a desperate tackle from Pepe who was lucky not to concede a penalty.

Artmedia should have won it in the dying minutes when Urbanek took an eternity to shoot with the ball stuck agonisingly in the mud inside the six-yard area.

"But they have maintained a high level of self confidence since then and in the second half of games they always improve because they are physically fit and well prepared."

I like that bit the most.

scott herbertson

(Wenglos Managed Czech team in the Italia 90 cup where Weiss played alongside Moravcic and they got to the knockout stages)

Weiss has spent 10 years at the helm of the unfashionable Bratislava , a remarkable achievement given the ephemeral nature of many modern management posts. His decade in charge saw Artmedia rise from the Second division and culminated lastyear in the club's first Slovakian league championship in their 107-year history, with a league and cup double.

'He has been with Artmedia for many years now, but that is because he is always looking for ways to improve himself as a coach,' added the educated Venglos, who now commands a free dating post with FIFA.

'I am delighted for him that he is now getting the success that he deserves with Artmedia. This success does not surprise me at all, because football flows through his veins. He was also a talented international for Czechoslovakia.

'Vladimir is a man of great honour and he commands respect amongst his players. His teams always have a good morale".

It is just the type of person he is. The players want to play for him and the team's success is in arge measure down to this.'

Not content with domestic success or the club's humiliation of Celtic in Bratislava, Artmedia defeated 2004 Champions League winners Porto in their own backyard to become the first Slovakian side to win points in Europe's main event.

Third-placed Artmedia go into Wednesday's tie on the back of a domestic draw, having posted a modest 1-1 score at home to fourthplaced MSK Zilina on Sunday.

Doctor Jo is too nice a human being to say that Weiss can put Alex McLeish under pressure. But he has no qualms in suggesting that's what Artmedia will do to Rangers on the pitch.

'It's going to be a difficult game against Rangers, but we saw what Artmedia did against Celtic in the first leg,' said Venglos. 'European games are always difficult to predict. But I am sure Artmedia will play well on Wednesday and give problems for Rangers.

'Rangers and Celtic are bigger clubs with more money to spend, but Artmedia will go to Ibrox and Vladimir has the technical knowledge to adapt to the circumstances like any good coach can. It's going to be very interesting to see how they fare.' Artmedia defender Jan Durica, meanwhile, believes his side can upset the odds again to complete a remarkable Glasgow double.

scott herbertson

I like this bit myself:

"Vladimir is a man of great honour and he commands respect amongst his players."

Doesn't sound like a puppet to me

markletissier
Time for a bit of trawling on the net for Mr Weiss.

Here's an interesting 2005 article which gives some insight into the man and his methods

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4156/is_20051016/ai_n15709370

TWELVE years after the rebirth of Slovakia as an independent nation, and the week after the national team clinched a playoff place against Spain, FC Artmedia Bratislava have finally come of age.

The fluctuating ownership patterns of the club that became Artmedia Bratislava would make a fascinating footnote to any 20th century history textbook, but Rangers will encounter a side at Ibrox next week having left its identity crisis behind.

Theirs is a story of continuity as well as change. Remarkably, current coach Vladimir Weiss is now in his tenth year in charge, and in the last 12 months the workaholic has stolidly taken the club to a different kind of uncharted territory.

Having inherited a team languishing in the second division, a first Slovakian league championship, which arrrived last season as part of a league and cup double, was remarkable enough. The series of epic qualifying victories over Kairat Almaty, of Kazakhstan, Celtic, then Partizan Belgrade, which followed, ushered in a new phase of the club's development.

Itall began in 1898, with a group of ethnic Hungarians starting up a football club in the small town of Petrzalka on the banks of the Danube. The team goes by the name of Pozsonyi Torna Egyesulet, but in the course of the next 107 years changes its title no fewer than 13 times.

In 1938, the organisation came under the propriety of Nazi Germany when Petrzalka, but not nearby Bratislava, is annexed during the formation of the six-year Slovak fascist puppet state.

Flash forward to the height of the Cold War, when the local area is notable for its sprawling high-rise concrete towers, or panelaks, to accommodate workers, and the club becomes first Spartak Kovosmalt Bratislava then, when the Soviets formally invade in 1968, Spartak Sklarske stroje Bratislava.

By the time of the so-called Velvet Revolution in 1989, five bridges across the Danube unite Petrzalka with Bratislava, and the club stages a short-lived merger with its more illustrious counterpart Inter Bratislava.

In the rampant capitalist economy of the 90s, the old club re- emerges, rediscovers its Petrzalkan roots, and takes the name of the advertising agency which is its new major sponsor.

Refusing to follow the ignominious and pointless example of the luckless Kosice in 1997-98, the first Champions League points ever gleaned by any Slovakian club duly materialised in a storming second half comeback which saw them shock Porto 3-2 in the Estadio do Dragao.

The team - who went into today's match with MSK Zilina (yes, they've got a Sunday game to deal with as well) second in the Slovakian league to Spartak Trnava - has an annual budget of two million euros, but some clever recruitment sees their squad boast six full internationals and eight under-21 regulars.

Captain Balazs Borbely organises at the back, angular midfielder Jan Kozak is a midfield threat, and up front Juraj Halenar, who scored a hattrick against Celtic, is not sure to start, with the likes of Czech striker Lukas Hartig around.

Weiss, a midfield schemer who ended his playing days in central defence, played alongside Lubomir Moravcik in the Czechoslovakian national side which got to the knockout stages in Italia 90 under Dr Jozef Venglos.

Aside from one season at Sparta Prague, however, he never even played outwith Slovakia. He believes the fact his young team have at least endured that 4-0 second leg defeat at Parkhead will help them at Ibrox.

"The Rangers game is a different match altogether from the one against Celtic, " Weiss told the Sunday Herald last night. "The first match for us against Celtic was fantastic, then the second was very difficult, because they have some fantastic players and some fantastic supporters.

"For us it was a great learning experience, because our players played for the first time in front of 60,000 supporters. At Rangers it will be exactly the same.

"But we have nothing to lose, " he added. "For us it is a fantastic game and I don't see why we can't get another result. Today I can't tell you if the winner of the group will be Inter, Rangers, Porto or Artmedia because it is only the third game. Everything is possible and we will see two weeks later when we play Rangers at home.

"The best Rangers player for me is Dado Prso, [barry] Ferguson the captain is a very good player, and the goalkeeper [Ronald Waterreus] is also good."

Such a bullish frame of mind is shared by general manager Peter Kaspar, even if he thinks Rangers are "a little bit stronger than Celtic". "I think that we can make one point against Rangers at Ibrox, but at home we will win, " Kaspar told the Sunday Herald.

"That is the plan. I think Rangers have a very good quality team and are very good at home, and at this moment, Rangers are a little bit stronger than Celtic.

"The secret of Artmedia has been down to good teamwork, and a good attitude from all the players, " he added. "This autumn has been very positive for the whole of Slovakian football. We have never been as good as this."

Moravcik, whose Ruzomberok side are chasing Artmedia in the league but were beaten 2-1 by them at the end of August, pays testimony to the manager's obsessive approach, and a not insignificant measure of luck.

"For Vladimir, football is almost everything, " Moravcik said. "He was a good player, but unlucky in a way because he never left Slovakia to play in a foreign league. He has sacrificed everything for Artmedia.

"The team are a work in progress and every season they have been getting better and better, and also they have carried a little bit of luck, " the former Celtic playmaker added.

"Beating Celtic 5-0 is not the kind of thing that happens every day, then after the 0-0 draw against Partizan Belgrade, penalties went their way. Everything has been favourable for them so far."

One last warning comes from Venglos. "I was as surprised as anyone when they beat Celtic in the first game, " he said. "But they have maintained a high level of self confidence since then and in the second half of games they always improve because they are physically fit and well prepared."

All those decades after being occupied by Hitler and Stalin, no- one could have predicted the tiny club which began life as Pozsonyi Torna Egyesulet would find itself occupying the minds of Old Firm fans.

good omen!

This success does not surprise me at all, because football flows through his veins. He was also a talented international for Czechoslovakia.

'Vladimir is a man of great honour and he commands respect amongst his players. His teams always have a good morale".

It is just the type of person he is. The players want to play for him and the team's success is in arge measure down to this.'

This is my favourite bit so far!

"Compared to other European leagues Slovakian football is not very strong," former Celtic legend Lubomir Moravcik told BBC Sport.

"For me it is completely miraculous what Artmedia have done.

"Due to the relative weakness of Slovakia's league I can't see another of our teams having a similar level of success for another 10 years.

"Clubs over here work with limited budgets and that means its difficult to keep our best players."

Moravcik attributes Artmedia's success primarily to the club's patience with coach Vladimir Weiss, who has been in charge of the Bratislava side for 10 years.

Moravcik has known Weiss since they were teenagers when they played against each other in youth games.

The two friends went on to play together for the Czechoslovakian side during the 1990 World Cup finals, when Jozef Venglos' side reached the quarter-finals.

"Vladimir has spent over a decade with this team, building it up," said Moravcik, now president of Slovakian club MFK Ruzomberok.

"During his career he was a playmaker for Inter Bratislava and played on the right for the Czechoslovakia national side.

"After 1990 he was a little bit unlucky - he got a bad injury and lost a year of his career and he never really recovered from it.

"He played for Artmedia at the end of his career. The club then won promotion to the Slovakian Superleague and last year won the title for the first time in their history.

"Vladimir is really passionate about coaching. He had plenty of experience as a player, but most importantly the club has given him time to build, which is unusual in football.

"He hasn't changed since we first became friends.

please let mad vlad read all these comments about a very capable man and let him do his job as he has the work ethic to take us up the league. i like what i am reading about this man

Weiss told the Sunday Herald last night. "The first match for us against Celtic was fantastic, then the second was very difficult, because they have some fantastic players and some fantastic supporters.

Sounds like he knows a lot about football, but very little about fans. Still, he'll soon learn.

Patrick Bateman

If he signs, I might have to open a bottle of Budweisser before listening to my Vanilla Weiss album.

scott herbertson
Weiss told the Sunday Herald last night. "The first match for us against Celtic was fantastic, then the second was very difficult, because they have some fantastic players and some fantastic supporters.

Sounds like he knows a lot about football, but very little about fans. Still, he'll soon learn.

I think they might have discovered this after contact with the other half of the old foirm

Why is it everywhere you look this mob disgrace themselves!

http://www.bratislava-city.sk/artmedia-beats-porto

Here's an excerpt of the wit and wisdom of our Glaswegian compatriots

teddy bear wrote on 06.11.2005 at 18:14:05:

this is a message to artmedia bratislava f.c .... you are crap you will always be crap,,,, beat porto fc again and your still crap

Reading the earlier posts, wouldn't surprise me if Lubomir Moravcik joins him as assistant. He certainly has the knowledge of the scottish game so could be a possibility.

Guest jambomickey

i think we gotta get behind him 100% and give him a chance. he gotta be given time to adjust to scottish football. he wouldn't be anywhere on my list to manage hearts but now that it looks like he the man i'm backing him 100%

scott herbertson

I'm not sure we should go for his assistant coach tho it sounds like he has a way with words.... I like the last statement by Weiss

"I'm ashamed of this result, but in football it happens that the favorite doesn't always win," said Porto coach Co Adriaanse. "They got their goals on quick counterattacks from standard situations we were setting up at the other end of the field."

Other Artmedia players had different explanations for the improbable result.

"Two days before the game I stepped in some dog ****, and assistant coach Michal Hipp said it would bring us luck," said Halen?r. "And, you see, he was right."

Artmedia remains the underdog in its Champion's League group, which besides Porto includes Inter Milan and Glasgow Rangers. Inter leads the four-team table with wins so far against Artmedia and Rangers, while Porto, having lost its two matches, is in the cellar, and Artmedia and Rangers are even on three points.

However, with results like that against Porto and its 5-0 defeat of x Glasgow Celtic in July to launch its Champion's League drive, Artmedia may still be capable of a few shockers.

"We're a small city in a small country, but we have a big heart," said an emotional Weiss.

Captain America

I agree, until last week i hadn't heard of this guy, although did watch the 5 nil game against Celtic, more i read and hear bout this guy more i like sound of him, i know he only managed in Slovak and Russian league but he has done reasonably well, if Frail still in there in coach capacity that could help him too.

The guy will have my 100% backing and i think if he gets win against Motherwell (and more importantly McGhee) then allowed more fans will come round.

Really hope the 2 Vlad's get it right

Quite looking forward to new season again.

This is my favourite bit so far!

If we're listing favourite bits, here's mine:

"but Artmedia will go to Ibrox and Vladimir has the technical knowledge to adapt to the circumstances like any good coach can. "

It's absurd, but IMO its been three years since we've had a coach with such an ability!

ToadKiller Dog
Sounds very good tbh.

Can anyone drum up some negative ones please? :rolleyes:

Butt he canna evens speck engleash ,Yooz guys r awe mupets.

The Mighty Thor
I like this bit myself:

"Vladimir is a man of great honour and he commands respect amongst his players."

Doesn't sound like a puppet to me

The articles sound fine and well and I'm sure Mr Weiss is a man of great honour and commnads respect.

But.

He hasn't come across a set up like the current one at Heart of Midlothian.

George Burley was a man of honour who commanded respect. He drew a game at Parkhead and was told by the owner that if he'd played a talentless journeyman lithuanian player he'd have won 4-1. He was sacked soon after for consistently refusing to play the players he was told to play.

Vladimir Weiss may not be a puppet, he may be a strong minded character, but you can bet your ass he will be told who to play by Romanov.

Furthermore the culture at Tynecastle is poisonous. The dressing room is divided and the only way to resolve that is by a wholesale clear out of the dross that's in there. Will that happen? No. Romanov wants to 'showcase the talent' and the fact he actually managed to sell one means he'll puruse it forever more amen.

The stronger the character Weiss is the quicker his exit from Tynecastle will come around.

Weiss will need all the luck in the world to survive at Tynecastle.

The articles sound fine and well and I'm sure Mr Weiss is a man of great honour and commnads respect.

But.

He hasn't come across a set up like the current one at Heart of Midlothian.

George Burley was a man of honour who commanded respect. He drew a game at Parkhead and was told by the owner that if he'd played a talentless journeyman lithuanian player he'd have won 4-1. He was sacked soon after for consistently refusing to play the players he was told to play.

Vladimir Weiss may not be a puppet, he may be a strong minded character, but you can bet your ass he will be told who to play by Romanov.

Furthermore the culture at Tynecastle is poisonous. The dressing room is divided and the only way to resolve that is by a wholesale clear out of the dross that's in there. Will that happen? No. Romanov wants to 'showcase the talent' and the fact he actually managed to sell one means he'll puruse it forever more amen.

The stronger the character Weiss is the quicker his exit from Tynecastle will come around.

Weiss will need all the luck in the world to survive at Tynecastle.

Thor, do you realise how depressing you sound? You can't see anything good in this at all?

For your own mental health, I suggest taking less of an interest in Hearts for a while.

The Mighty Thor
Thor, do you realise how depressing you sound? You can't see anything good in this at all?

For your own mental health, I suggest taking less of an interest in Hearts for a while.

Depressing? he he. Not really mate. I like to look at things with an open mind. In the words of Flavour Flav - 'don't believe the hype!'

IF Weiss comes then i wish him every success. He'll need it. We don't have a great managerial track record under Romanov. We had one proper manager. He lasted about 12 weeks.

I'm not getting carried away by all this. Many people are trawling the ineternet to find the positives and to find out all about Mr Weiss. He's not the issue. The issue is the lunatic that owns the club. We could have recruited Scolari and Romanov would still have told him to play Miko every week.

Incidentally my interest in the current Hearts set up (Romanov FC) has been on the wane for a couple of years. I still want the club to be successful but IMHO it'll never happen under the current ownership.

Billy the Jambo

I agree with every word you said in your 2 posts Thor . I give Weiss till christmas then we will being going through the same crap again

Jam Tarts 1874
Depressing? he he. Not really mate. I like to look at things with an open mind. In the words of Flavour Flav - 'don't believe the hype!'

IF Weiss comes then i wish him every success. He'll need it. We don't have a great managerial track record under Romanov. We had one proper manager. He lasted about 12 weeks.

I'm not getting carried away by all this. Many people are trawling the ineternet to find the positives and to find out all about Mr Weiss. He's not the issue. The issue is the lunatic that owns the club. We could have recruited Scolari and Romanov would still have told him to play Miko every week.

Incidentally my interest in the current Hearts set up (Romanov FC) has been on the wane for a couple of years. I still want the club to be successful but IMHO it'll never happen under the current ownership.

Well, the club has been successful under the current ownership so it seems strange to say that "it'll never happen".

scott herbertson

Pretty closed mind attitude, I'd say. Your account of the Burley departure is very one sided and 'closed' I am not aware of any evidence that supports it.

Re negatives on Weiss, I did post earlier a link to a Q&A session he did at Saturn, where he commented on his lack of influence on player purchase and also on the number of draws. It seems to me if there are downsides to Weiss they might be the obvious one about whether he and Romanov acan agree a split of roles where they are both comfortable and moticvated, and also around playing style. Romanov's player purchase and the formations we used when his 'chosen people' were in charge suggest he favours two wide attacking players. I'm not sure that fits in with Weiss's style.

The Mighty Thor
Pretty closed mind attitude, I'd say. Your account of the Burley departure is very one sided and 'closed' I am not aware of any evidence that supports it.

Re negatives on Weiss, I did post earlier a link to a Q&A session he did at Saturn, where he commented on his lack of influence on player purchase and also on the number of draws. It seems to me if there are downsides to Weiss they might be the obvious one about whether he and Romanov acan agree a split of roles where they are both comfortable and moticvated, and also around playing style. Romanov's player purchase and the formations we used when his 'chosen people' were in charge suggest he favours two wide attacking players. I'm not sure that fits in with Weiss's style.

Perhaps my attitude is closed Scott. Then again my attitude is based on what has gone before us in the last 3 years. I cannot see a step change that will magically transform what has happened thus far into a well run football club challenging for anything other than a top 6 finish.

The Burley saga. Evidence? Anecdotal from Anderton and the like. Can you give me any that refutes it?

You point out the potential downside as being whether Romanov and Weiss can agree roles. Rather fundamental wouldn't you say?

To say that Romanov prefers two attacking wide men is a bit disengenuous, the two wide men preferred have been woeful more often than not and bizarrely both have been lithuanian more often than not. I hope it doesn't fit in with Weiss' style as it's bloody painful to watch.

Malcolm Tucker

This reminds me of the Jefferies appointment.

I hear it's a done deal.

Outrage puppet etc...

scott herbertson
Perhaps my attitude is closed Scott. Then again my attitude is based on what has gone before us in the last 3 years. I cannot see a step change that will magically transform what has happened thus far into a well run football club challenging for anything other than a top 6 finish.

The Burley saga. Evidence? Anecdotal from Anderton and the like. Can you give me any that refutes it?

You point out the potential downside as being whether Romanov and Weiss can agree roles. Rather fundamental wouldn't you say?

To say that Romanov prefers two attacking wide men is a bit disengenuous, the two wide men preferred have been woeful more often than not and bizarrely both have been lithuanian more often than not. I hope it doesn't fit in with Weiss' style as it's bloody painful to watch.

Thor - writing posts as opposed to speaking can lead to misunderstandings and reading my post again it is too provocative.

Fortunately you have taken it in the right spirit, and thanks for that.

I meant as you have interpreted, that there is little concrete evidence for your statement - on the other side there were direct statements by Burley early on that this was not the case (see my signature for an example). We can only guess at what happened, and you are probably right that interference was at the heart of it but I would guess much of this was unspoken and less direct than your statement - eg questions as to why Miko wasn't getting a game (or why a 'hard man' midfielder like Brellier was being chosen etc). I suspect there was also a moral element. Despite what the more vociferous anti-vlad think of his standards of behaviour I am quite sure that VR follows a fairly strict ethical code and expects his employees too as well. I don't think Burley's alleged drinking or his method of bringing in players through his contacts enamoured him to VR and this may have been a catalyst to his departure.

Looking to the possible Weiss appointment I agree with much of what you say. The role demarcation is at the heart of it as far as I am concerned. it doesn't mean it is impossible to find agreement there. I think one advantage Weiss has is that he has worked in a similar set up at Saturn (where the owners purchased the players as far as I can ascertain) and there wil be few if any cultural misunderstandings eg about whether Romanov "wants" something or "demands" it.

Re the two wide men, i couldn't agree more. I thought it was interesting when hibs played well against us with good movement up front and Romanov expressed his admiration of their style of play. The problem is that in Miko and Chesney we have two players who are in my opinion too one-dimensional and not talented enough to play together. If the wide players are good - if for example we had Colqhuhon and Skacel in these positions, the system might work. As it is it doesn't and I hope like you, that Weiss sorts this out with Romanov early on.

Ryan Gosling
he maniged kownas so heez defo a vlad pupett :mad:

we need jeffries

derik mckines is teh man 2 tak us 4wrd he wundt b a pupet

derik mckines is teh man 2 tak us 4wrd he wundt b a pupet

wat aboot alex rea??? he wiz unluky last seezin and haz a gud eii fur playerz

The Mighty Thor
Thor - writing posts as opposed to speaking can lead to misunderstandings and reading my post again it is too provocative.

Fortunately you have taken it in the right spirit, and thanks for that.

I meant as you have interpreted, that there is little concrete evidence for your statement - on the other side there were direct statements by Burley early on that this was not the case (see my signature for an example). We can only guess at what happened, and you are probably right that interference was at the heart of it but I would guess much of this was unspoken and less direct than your statement - eg questions as to why Miko wasn't getting a game (or why a 'hard man' midfielder like Brellier was being chosen etc). I suspect there was also a moral element. Despite what the more vociferous anti-vlad think of his standards of behaviour I am quite sure that VR follows a fairly strict ethical code and expects his employees too as well. I don't think Burley's alleged drinking or his method of bringing in players through his contacts enamoured him to VR and this may have been a catalyst to his departure.

Looking to the possible Weiss appointment I agree with much of what you say. The role demarcation is at the heart of it as far as I am concerned. it doesn't mean it is impossible to find agreement there. I think one advantage Weiss has is that he has worked in a similar set up at Saturn (where the owners purchased the players as far as I can ascertain) and there wil be few if any cultural misunderstandings eg about whether Romanov "wants" something or "demands" it.

Re the two wide men, i couldn't agree more. I thought it was interesting when hibs played well against us with good movement up front and Romanov expressed his admiration of their style of play. The problem is that in Miko and Chesney we have two players who are in my opinion too one-dimensional and not talented enough to play together. If the wide players are good - if for example we had Colqhuhon and Skacel in these positions, the system might work. As it is it doesn't and I hope like you, that Weiss sorts this out with Romanov early on.

Scott, thanks for the reply. I knew what you were getting at.

I want to make it clear that i'm not anti Weiss coming in (i am however very anti-Romanov) I just think the poor sod is going to need the wind at his back with Romanov at the helm.

Lets be honest, it wouldn't really matter who Hearts brought in. The size of the task at hand is gargantuan. The squad is bloated and lacks talent. The dressing room is split. The support is split. The finances are shot to bits (regardless of who 'owns' the debt). We are a club in a bit of a tail-spin and there's no clear way out. (I don't subscribe to the 'find a manager and everything's alright' theory)

To me there's no cohesive plan to take the club forward, rather there have been a number of decisions made on the hoof over the last few years with pretty predictable results and the club really desperately needs stability. Is Weiss big enough to be the man at the eye of that storm?

Time will tell.

Ryan Gosling
wat aboot alex rea??? he wiz unluky last seezin and haz a gud eii fur playerz

a wont bily reed cos hes got ma name bily

The Mighty Thor

Apologies if this has been widely circulated already;

Banderson stirring or grains of truth?

From the Evening News:

Hearts target Weiss snubs Romanov

DEADLINE: Artmedia Bratislava boss Vladimir Weiss

Published Date: 18 June 2008

By MARK BONTHRONE and BARRY ANDERSON

HEARTS' bid to bring Vladimir Weiss to Tynecastle is in danger of collapsing after the Slovakian failed to meet a deadline set by the club.

The Jambos instructed Artmedia Bratislava boss Weiss to tell them by 5.00pm yesterday whether he was interested in becoming the next manager of the club but no contact was made.

This is sure to anger Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov who will realise he is running out of time to appoint a manager with the players reporting to Riccarton for pre-season training in just a week.

Weiss impressed at an interview in Lithuania over the weekend and claimed he would announce whether he would be willing to take up a role with Hearts on Monday. When no announcement was made Hearts then set yesterday's deadline which passed without contact.

The Artmedia boss had revealed he would be interested in the Hearts vacancy but the Evening News understands that he is now hesitant about accepting a role in Edinburgh after failing to get the assurances he wanted that he would have full control of team selection and transfers.

Weiss is also being monitored closely by the Slovakian FA and is on their wanted list with current boss Jan Kocian facing the axe. Artmedia are desperate to hold onto the most successful manager in their history and reports in Slovakia suggest they would be willing to allow him to do both roles to hold onto their man.

Should Hearts drop their interest in Weiss they could revert their attention to IA Akranes head coach Gudjon Thordarson who, along with Belarussian Andrei Zygmantovich, is on a three-man shortlist with Weiss.

Thordarson may prove to be the most popular choice among supporters due to the Icelander's experience of British football with Stoke City, Notts County and Barnsley.

The former Icelandic national coach has also promised to bring England legend Terry Butcher to Tynecastle as his No.2 if appointed.

Jam Tarts 1874
Apologies if this has been widely circulated already;

Banderson stirring or grains of truth?

Not sure, Weiss' comments are on Slovakian news websites. I have not had time to translate properly, but the words "silly ambiguity" are ones that I have managed to pick out so far.

Mark McGhee did not appear to have a problem with what was on offer at Hearts, however I wonder if Romanov has tried to get away with offerring less control to Weiss.

The Mighty Thor
Not sure, Weiss' comments are on Slovakian news websites. I have not had time to translate properly, but the words "silly ambiguity" are ones that I have managed to pick out so far.

Mark McGhee did not appear to have a problem with what was on offer at Hearts, however I wonder if Romanov has tried to get away with offerring less control to Weiss.

I personally have huge reservations about Romanov being able to relinquish (any) control to anyone.

i suspect there's legs in this saga yet!

The key words in this story are "but the Evening News understands", which basically means "we can say whatever we like about this story after these few words and we'll probably make this as inflamatory as possible so we can shift another few issues". This also give further publications the right to use the phrase "according to insiders" or "it has been mentioned that" before rehashing the same peesh all over again.

The press know no more than anyone who posts on JKB but they are aware of how much more authority words carry if they're in print or appear on the website of a national paper.

The key words in this story are "but the Evening News understands", which basically means "we can say whatever we like about this story after these few words and we'll probably make this as inflamatory as possible so we can shift another few issues". This also give further publications the right to use the phrase "according to insiders" or "it has been mentioned that" before rehashing the same peesh all over again.

The press know no more than anyone who posts on JKB but they are aware of how much more authority words carry if they're in print or appear on the website of a national paper.

Good point, it could be true, but equally it could be made up, rather like using the word 'Allegedly' -it is a good cop out if it turns out to be crap, rather like the Record's excusive last week that 'Iceman' would be unveiled on Wednesday (of last week).

Archived